Home
Posted By: 21 Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
I see Ruger is making a 10mm 1911 now, according to their website. I just happened to see it today, has this been out long? Anyone know anything about it? Looks interesting.........maybe.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
Cool! I'll have to have one of those!
Posted By: RelodR Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
I saw that too. i have been looking for a 1006 but would not mind a 1911. Sold a Delta elite and a 1006 years ago when I was even dumber than I am now! Wonder how the Ruger would handle full house 10mm? How accurate are the "match" 45's?
Posted By: 21 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
I'm not that up on the issues with the Delta Elite but I know an "unsupported" barrel has been bandied about. Would like to know if that applies to the SR1911 as well---or if its even a problem?
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
Originally Posted by RelodR
I saw that too. i have been looking for a 1006 but would not mind a 1911. Sold a Delta elite and a 1006 years ago when I was even dumber than I am now! Wonder how the Ruger would handle full house 10mm? How accurate are the "match" 45's?
1006 is fantastic, but good luck on magazines.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/14/17
THe SR 1911s, al least the LWT models in 45 ACP and 9x19 have ramped barrels. I turned my LWT Commander 9x19 into a 38 Super and 9x23, both handled well in the ramped bbls. The SR1911 represents great value, with a good trigger and some high end features standard.

Just checked the spec sheet on the Ruger site and it shows a ramped bbl for the 10mm. Should be a good alternative to the Colt DE.
Originally Posted by 21
I'm not that up on the issues with the Delta Elite but I know an "unsupported" barrel has been bandied about. Would like to know if that applies to the SR1911 as well---or if its even a problem?
The “unsupported” chamber is a much over-blown issue in 1911’s. The only time it is an issue is when you exceed SAAMI pressure limits for the given cartridge you’re shooting. It’s the reason we have a separate case for rounds like .45 Super, and many of the hot 9mm’s. The 10mm case is sufficient for a 1911 barrel in any SAAMI load, so unless you’re going to really hot rod things beyond SAAMI max, it’s really not a concern.
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
THe SR 1911s, al least the LWT models in 45 ACP and 9x19 have ramped barrels. I turned my LWT Commander 9x19 into a 38 Super and 9x23, both handled well in the ramped bbls. The SR1911 represents great value, with a good trigger and some high end features standard.

Just checked the spec sheet on the Ruger site and it shows a ramped bbl for the 10mm. Should be a good alternative to the Colt DE.
That makes life much easier if you want to do a multi-caliber 1911. With a ramped barrel gun, you don’t have to worry if your guns started life as a .45 or a 9mm/Super, and which feed ramp your frame has. Just drop in whatever barrel you want, and add the correct slide.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
When did Ruger switch to ramped barrels instead of the ti insert in the frame?
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
Might be worth buying just for the collective value.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
A gent on the Ruger Forum, though recently sold out but taking orders, is selling them cheap IMO. Tempting though I was out today enjoying my recently acquired M610.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
I'm really liking the thought of a 10mm Ruger, at $729 from the seller on the Ruger Forum there a heck of a deal.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
Interesting...

A good review-http://www.realguns.com/articles/935.htm
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
According to the web site it also has a cone barrel, no barrel bushing. I don't really dig on that, but it can work just fine. And it has a nitride finish; that's cool.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
I'm very impressed with Ruger's 1911's. As a gunsmith I tend to see a good number of 1911's and I just don't see many Ruger's come across my bench...because they all work...at least that's my impression. Ruger has a LONG history making 1911 frames from doing casting work for Caspian. The cast frames Ruger/Pinetree are so good, Caspian all but discontinued their forged frames, because the demand just wasn't there.

All the other internals, whether investment cast, billet, or MIM, all the parts are nicely made, nicely finished, and the final assembly of the pistols is very good.

I'm absolutely delighted to see they're making a 10mm...always excited to see more life being breathed into this wonderful round.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
I think I will wait a while to see how it works, I have had the Ruger LW Commander length gun, its an OK gun, had no problems with it, but traded it for something else. At 44 ounces it weights as much as my 44 magnum, so I can carry one to starboard and the other to port to keep myself from listing as I walk.
Posted By: JOG Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I think I will wait a while to see how it works, I have had the Ruger LW Commander length gun, its an OK gun, had no problems with it, but traded it for something else. At 44 ounces it weights as much as my 44 magnum, so I can carry one to starboard and the other to port to keep myself from listing as I walk.

Try again.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
When did Ruger switch to ramped barrels instead of the ti insert in the frame?

I believe the Ti insert is only used on the aluminum alloy frame.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
JOG, this is why I asked.....

THe SR 1911s, al least the LWT models in 45 ACP and 9x19 have ramped barrels. I turned my LWT Commander 9x19 into a 38 Super and 9x23, both handled well in the ramped bbls.

Mebbe I'm all wet, but I was under the impression the aluminum frames WERE the lightweights.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
JOG, this is why I asked.....

THe SR 1911s, al least the LWT models in 45 ACP and 9x19 have ramped barrels. I turned my LWT Commander 9x19 into a 38 Super and 9x23, both handled well in the ramped bbls.

Mebbe I'm all wet, but I was under the impression the aluminum frames WERE the lightweights.....

The part about the .45 ACP LW having a ramped barrel is incorrect, unless Ruger incorporated that feature in the 44 oz. LW model. smirk
Posted By: ronc Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/15/17
gunblast has never reviewed a gun that did not shoot good, especially a ruger, I will wait for the reports from the field.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/16/17
gunblast has never reviewed a gun that did not shoot good, especially a ruger, I will wait for the reports from the field.

Have you had a Ruger that has shot poorly?
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/16/17

My Ruger LWT Commander (aluminum frame, ramped barrel) now in 38 Super, weighs in at 33.4 ounces, with 10 rounds (9+1) and one mag in place.
[Linked Image]

I imagine the same pistol in 45 ACP would be about 2 ounces heavier, based on my Colt LWT CCO (CCO is 7+1, same round count as a Commander length frame with a std mag)
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure where the 44 ounce weight being quoted for the SR1911 LWT Commander is coming from. Can you provide a source?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/16/17

I'm not sure where the 44 ounce weight being quoted for the SR1911 LWT Commander is coming from. Can you provide a source?

Yeah. You quoted the 'source ' in your opening quote........
Posted By: racoonbeast Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 21
The “unsupported” chamber is a much over-blown issue in 1911’s. The only time it is an issue is when you exceed SAAMI pressure limits for the given cartridge you’re shooting. It’s the reason we have a separate case for rounds like .45 Super, and many of the hot 9mm’s. The 10mm case is sufficient for a 1911 barrel in any SAAMI load, so unless you’re going to really hot rod things beyond SAAMI max, it’s really not a concern.

Don't believe it. This myth is perpetrated by Delta Elite owners who can't come to grips with the fact that they have a .40 S&W that comes in long cases. Don't buy a 10mm that does not have an integral feed ramp and supported chamber. This is gospel in the 10mm community. The new Ruger SR1911 has an integral feed ramp and a fully supported chamber.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/16/17
The Ruger SR2922 10mm is all SS, including the frame, which accounts for the 40.4 oz spec weight. This is about 1.5-2 oz heavier than a std steel frameGM, probably due to the bull barrel. I havent noticed that 2 oz difference makes a difference in carrying a 1911. The grip length and configuration have a lot more to do with eae of carry and balance than the weight difference, IMHO.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by racoonbeast
Originally Posted by 21

Don't believe it. This myth is perpetrated by Delta Elite owners who can't come to grips with the fact that they have a .40 S&W that comes in long cases. Don't buy a 10mm that does not have an integral feed ramp and supported chamber. This is gospel in the 10mm community. The new Ruger SR1911 has an integral feed ramp and a fully supported chamber.

" ...is a much over-blown issue in 1911’s"

Pun Intended Kevin?

Can't speak for Colt Delta's...

But Glock running a Glock barrel in 45 Super (with 45 Super brass) tends to put a 'smiley' on the case.

The reason that with both of my Glock 45 Supers I've used an aftermarket barrel that had more support (KKM).

YMMV,

Jerry

Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by racoonbeast
Originally Posted by 21

Sigh. Delta's work just fine at SAAMI pressures which I believe is what Kevin said. I've shot thousands of them at book max without a single issue.

The problem comes when you try to turn them into a .41 Magnum, which 10mm shooters love to try. You'd think we were 50's wildcatters, anything for another a few more fps. Damn the Pressure, Full Speed Ahead and if a case blows, why it's the gun's fault. And, of course, this is what happens:

[Linked Image]

BTDT obviously, and it was my fault, not the gun's.

But really, SAAMI gets you 100 fps or more than a .40 and that ain't hay.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
Thinking one of these may be on a list for Santa!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
I'm very impressed with Ruger's 1911's. As a gunsmith I tend to see a good number of 1911's and I just don't see many Ruger's come across my bench...because they all work...at least that's my impression. Ruger has a LONG history making 1911 frames from doing casting work for Caspian. The cast frames Ruger/Pinetree are so good, Caspian all but discontinued their forged frames, because the demand just wasn't there.

All the other internals, whether investment cast, billet, or MIM, all the parts are nicely made, nicely finished, and the final assembly of the pistols is very good.

I'm absolutely delighted to see they're making a 10mm...always excited to see more life being breathed into this wonderful round.

Or it could just be that Ruger is a "baby" in the 1911 manufacturing world.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
I haven't been on the site in a couple of months and I new I shouldn't log on here. I log in, see this and 10 minutes later buy a new gun on gunbroker!
Posted By: 21 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I haven't been on the site in a couple of months and I new I shouldn't log on here. I log in, see this and 10 minutes later buy a new gun on gunbroker!

You're welcome!! 😂
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/18/17
Super excited. My first 10 was one of the long-slide, adjustable sight Glocks and I love it. I dont knowwhy I waited so long. I also have a couple of Ruger 1911 .45s and they have been great, even when compared to an Ed Brown. I suspect the Ruger in 10 will be great.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/18/17
Hopefully they will produce a Commander length version quickly
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/18/17
Yondering and I keep having the discussion regards 40 smith and wesson vs 10mm. Most 10mm shooters have a +P+ 40 smith and wesson and most hand loaders for the 10mm are trying to make it a semi auto 41 magnum.

That said, if the Ruger 10mm with a ramped barrel has no initial hickups, and it turns out to have decent accuracy, then its a gun that I could get some use out of.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/19/17

My Ruger LWT Commander (aluminum frame, ramped barrel) now in 38 Super, weighs in at 33.4 ounces, with 10 rounds (9+1) and one mag in place.
[Linked Image]

I imagine the same pistol in 45 ACP would be about 2 ounces heavier, based on my Colt LWT CCO (CCO is 7+1, same round count as a Commander length frame with a std mag)
[Linked Image]

You and I have similar tastes. I had or have both of those guns as well.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/19/17
I would not hesitate on getting that Ruger 10.

Cast Frame. They have come a long way in casting technology for guns.

Ramped barrel. Best if you like to hot rod the 10 with handloads.

Coned barrel. Cost cutting measure probably. Not preferred by me, but it might work out okay.

Don't know if it will accept an after market 1911 SB firing pin stop.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/20/17
Expensive sub forum.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/22/17
I stopped in at a local "toy store" last evening. Loaded a cart up with hydraulic and motor oil for the tractors, and then stepped over to the gun counter and fondled the SR1911. I gotta admit, I know didley about 1911s. But the gun felt solid and nice in my hand with a decent trigger. $799.99.

But zero 10mm available from their suplliers.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I stopped in at a local "toy store" last evening. Loaded a cart up with hydraulic and motor oil for the tractors, and then stepped over to the gun counter and fondled the SR1911. I gotta admit, I know didley about 1911s. But the gun felt solid and nice in my hand with a decent trigger. $799.99.

Around here you can buy 10mm at Walmart.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/24/17
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Around here you can buy 10mm at Walmart.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referencing the pistol, not the ammo.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/24/17

for what it's worth:
I took a sr1911 to a nationally known gunsmith about the time they first came out to have a ambi safety installed.
I got a no charge for the job, cause he hadn't see one of the guns before and got to tear it apart.
His comment after finding out i paid about 700for it,, was that it was worth at least double that in terms of build by some
of the competitiors. They are pretty tight pistols.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 06/25/17
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

The 'Fire members are pleased that they could help! grin grin grin

Hang around some more!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Ruger SR1911 10mm - 05/28/18

I'm interested in one for hunting and woods carry in Brown Bear country, any idea how it does with the 200/220 grain hard casts.?

© 24hourcampfire