Home
Posted By: Gun_Doc Advice on magazine loader - 06/27/17
First time to visit the Handgun sub-forum.

I am in search of a magazine loader, mostly for the 9mm to .45 ACP double column type of mags. It seems the UpLULA is the "gold standard", but the relatively new Caldwell seems to be gaining a following. They are not all that expensive, but I don't see much sense in buying both as I would probably settle on one and the other would go unused. I like the idea of how the Caldwell works. It appears to be faster and a bit easier. However, since it takes a good bit of effort to get the last few rounds in, I was wondering if the clamping force required to hold the mag against that force might be more than wise to clamp down on the mag? The UpLULA requires a surface to set it on, but there is no clamping of the mag.

Does anyone have some constructive advice? It would be great to hear from people who have used both.

Thanks in advance,
Gun Doc
The one I've always used has been the UpLula. I see no reason to even try the Caldwell. Clamping a magazine doesn't have much appeal.
Posted By: krupp Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/27/17
I will second the UpLula. Nothing else i have tried comes anywhere close to it 's ease of use and durability.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/28/17
I use the cheap Range Tray's. They work fine and I only need two. One for a single stack and one for the double stack. I think the UpLula is more versatile, but costs a few bucks more.
God knows the one Glock supplies is useless.
Posted By: kellory Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/28/17
I just picked up a cheap RangeTray. It works well enough.
Uplula
Posted By: LONEOAK Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/28/17
Uplula works well for me.
Add me too the UPLULA list!

Got tired of cut up fingers trying to speed load mags at IDPA matches, plus the beginnings of arthritis type symptoms in the phalanges laugh

Mike
Uplula. Really easy to use with very little practice.
Uplula. I've got 2. They are so handy.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I don't see much sense in buying both as I would probably settle on one and the other would go unused.

It's not clear from your post whether you already have a mag loader of some other make but speaking personally I would not limit myself to having just one. They sometimes grow legs.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/29/17
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
I don't see much sense in buying both as I would probably settle on one and the other would go unused.

It's not clear from your post whether you already have a mag loader of some other make but speaking personally I would not limit myself to having just one. They sometimes grow legs.

I may have a factory Glock one tucked away somewhere, but other than that I don't have one. Much of my stuff grows "short legs", meaning I lose it for a bit, but no one has absconded with it. Even if I had more than one, I would prefer multiple copies of the "best" one.

So far the UpLULA seems to be getting a lot of love, with some to the Range Tray. While the Caldwell gets some love on the 'net, virtually none here so far.

Also, my thanks to each of you who have taken the time to respond up to this point! I'm still hoping a few others will chime in.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/29/17
I've got the UpLULA but rarely use it. Maybe when I get old, but right now I'm faster by hand. Or maybe I don't shoot enough, lol.
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

My shooting buds kept "borrowing" mine, so I bought one of the pink UpLulas. My wife stole it.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Advice on magazine loader - 06/30/17

So far the UpLULA seems to be getting a lot of love, with some to the Range Tray. While the Caldwell gets some love on the 'net, virtually none here so far.

Also, my thanks to each of you who have taken the time to respond up to this point! I'm still hoping a few others will chime in.

I use the Caldwell Mag Charger for AR mags(super fast), but the Uplula's for pistol.
© 24hourcampfire