Home
Posted By: Bearcat74 What powder for 10mm? - 07/06/17

I picked up a set of dies and some 180 XTP's for my Glock 20. I have Storm Lake 4.6" and 6" barrels and I have access to Longshot, Blue Dot and AA #9. I am looking for full power stuff to be around the Underwood 180 XTP load I'm shooting right now just over 1300fps. I will probably try the 200gr stuff, either XTP or WFN later on also. I was hoping 2400 would work but I don't see it mentioned much at all for the 10mm.

I have Unique and a few other powders for low power stuff.

Thanks
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/06/17
I don't have any experience with any of your powders. What I've used, and like a lot, are AA#7 and Ramshot Silhouette. The AA#7 left nothing to be desired with the 180 gr. XTP's . The Silhouette I use with the Barnes X, 155 gr. bullets.
Be very careful loading for the 10. I've had pressure tested load data bulge cases when well below maximum with AA#2. It is no longer listed as a powder for the 10mm BTW. It was at one point. The other thing is that brass can vary some in wall strength, etc. I've even had some WW brass that was so short it sometimes wouldn't fire my loads. E
Posted By: RJM Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/06/17
The powders you have listed are the best of the best... I have been using AA #9 but just got some Blue Dot and Longshot. Longshot is what supposedly some of the boutique manufacturers are using for heavy cast slugs...

Bob
ps..if you don't subscribe to LoadData.com is is well worth the money...it is like having all the loading books on line... They have hundreds of loads for the 10mm...

Also I forgot that PowerPistol is another good powder for the 10...

Tread carefully. 1300 fps may not be obtainable safely.

Of the 3 you mentioned, I'd start with #9.
Looking over at LoadData.com, the only power that has several listing as to making 1300+- fps is #9. Blue Dot only has one...

Starting loads with #9 is about 13.0 and tops out at 15.0 which gives 1300-1320 fps depending on who was doing the shooting.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards #9 as it seems to be a little more flexible.

I think the shop has some PowerPistol as well.
Posted By: bea175 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
Longshot
Posted By: cra1948 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
I have used 2400 under 180 grain XTP's for some years now in 10mm. I'm getting 1200 and change and have never had a problem in my Glock 20 after I put in a heavier than stock recoil spring. Disclaimer: I use new Starline brass with the XTP's, after the first use they are reloaded with a somewhat (not much) milder 180 grain plated bullet load and are tossed after that use.

I have a 22lb recoil spring in mine.

I just loaded up 6.4gr of Unique just to get my dies setup and they functioned great, were accurate but very mild. We have some strong storms rolling through so that was all I could get accomplished tonight.
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards #9 as it seems to be a little more flexible.

I think the shop has some PowerPistol as well.

#9 is absolutely the best choice there, although the other powders you mentioned are good as well. In that bullet weight range (really 165-200+gr) #9 gives you top velocity at max pressure with max case fill. It's only failing is just the quantity of powder it requires, so you get fewer shots per pound. Otherwise it's pretty much perfect; it's almost like #9 was made specifically for full power 10mm.

You should definitely be able to get 1300 fps easily with that 180 XTP in a G20. Use this at your own risk, but I have worked up to 15.0gr with that load for 1385 fps from my long slide G20. 11.0gr of Blue Dot gave pretty much the same velocity. You will want to use the heaviest recoil spring you can get.
Originally Posted by RJM
The powders you have listed are the best of the best... I have been using AA #9 but just got some Blue Dot and Longshot. Longshot is what supposedly some of the boutique manufacturers are using for heavy cast slugs...

Bob

^^^Ths^^^

All of my 10mm's like AA-9 the best with Blue Dot coming in a close second!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
i like accurate for another reason, it meters well right to the dot.
from a couple of years ago
glock 20 with kkm barrel and another six inch kkm usine AA#9 13grains and 200gr xtp
1. 1212 six inch 1298fps
2. 1211 1285fps
3. 1218fps 1266fps
4. 1213 1283fps
5. 1224 1254fps
these were all seated to 1.260 col
Same loads out of a ruger buckeye special convertible with a long barrel
1. 1318
2 1302
3. 1305fps
4. 1290
5 1301
6 1295
one of the side benefits is they were pretty tight velocity wise round to round except in the six inch for some reason showing a little more deviation. what i was really after was the old norma load of 200grains at 1200fps, and i stopped at the above.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
same gun using 180gr xtp''s and AA#7 10.5grains oal of 1.260
kkm standard length and six inch
1.1157fps 1268fps
2. 1188fps 1265fps
3.1198fps 1291fps
4. 1173fps 1263fps
5. 1178fps 1277fps

i should add all new starline brass and heavier recoil spring.
Ron it's probably obvious to you, but worth pointing out for everyone that your AA#7 load pressures were significantly higher than with #9. Besides being a faster powder (pressure peaking earlier) #7 in the 10mm doesn't always show many pressure signs until it's really too hot. #9 in comparison is more user friendly and capable of higher velocity at safe pressure.
Posted By: Thegman Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
Though I don't even own a 10mm anymore (eventually went in the 45 Super direction), in the 90s I did a lot of work with the 10mm and full power loads. I've used all of the powders you listed and AA#9 is the best of those for highest velocity. But THE BEST powder I ever found in terms of maximum velocity at reasonable pressures was 800X. At the time, Mike McNett and I were exchanging a lot of information on 10mm loading over at GlockTalk. A little later he quit his job and started DoubleTap ammo (I think in his garage?) with a full house 200 grain 10mm load. I don't know for sure, but I think he probably started DoubleTap with that 800X load.

I found a nice accurate plinking load with a 180 over 6.4grs of Unique. I picked up some AA9 and will start with it soon.
Originally Posted by Thegman
Though I don't even own a 10mm anymore (eventually went in the 45 Super direction), in the 90s I did a lot of work with the 10mm and full power loads. I've used all of the powders you listed and AA#9 is the best of those for highest velocity. But THE BEST powder I ever found in terms of maximum velocity at reasonable pressures was 800X. At the time, Mike McNett and I were exchanging a lot of information on 10mm loading over at GlockTalk. A little later he quit his job and started DoubleTap ammo (I think in his garage?) with a full house 200 grain 10mm load. I don't know for sure, but I think he probably started DoubleTap with that 800X load.

800X does work well, but has two problems - it meters like cornflakes, and pressures look good right up until it spikes crazy high, similar to AA#7.
Posted By: Gibby Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/07/17
So far everything Yondering has said is my experience as well.

No more 800X for me.

BlueDot,? well the 10mm is too close to the internals of the .41 Magnum for me to use it. (different bullets weights granted)

You can learn a lot from McNett.

Longshot is very safe. My favorite now.

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

Starline brass only. Toss away the others if you want nuclear loads.

I use/like Blue dot and AA#9 for velocity & accuracy.

Prefer AA#9 as it meters better than Ble Dot.

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
Dont have my load book handy, but Longshot gives an easy 1244 fps with 200 gr Nosler and Hornady XTP's in my DW 10mm, a very soft shooting powder for the amount of power you're sending downrange, accurate too.

I use Starline brass and WLP primers, with a COL of 1.260"
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by Gibby

No more 800X for me.

BlueDot,? well the 10mm is too close to the internals of the .41 Magnum for me to use it. (different bullets weights granted)

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

Hey Gibby, I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, using new starline brass, do you guys chunk em after two or three firings? just want to make sure I haven't missed anything on getting to know the 10mm.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17

And a pound of Longshot just wandered into my reloading room...........
Posted By: bea175 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by gunner500

No more 800X for me.

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

Hey Gibby, I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, using new starline brass, do you guys chunk em after two or three firings? just want to make sure I haven't missed anything on getting to know the 10mm.

the 10mm is hard on brass when loaded max and that is why i use a 24 lb recoil spring in my Glock 20
Posted By: Gibby Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17

No more 800X for me.

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

I shoot a Delta Elite. At max you will have a slight smile (1275-1300fps with 180gr). I do not go further than 1250 with 180gr. XTP or Hardcast. That little bit extra velocity seems to raise the pressure too much for me.

I liked using Starline Nickel but do not now. I was trying to be easy on my extractor using Nickel, being that the 10mm is a long case. I do not think it makes a difference in ejection, so I quit using it.

When using the Redding feed through die to size the whole case, I thought the Nickle was too brittle. I did notice with the brass that I used around 1300+ fps after ultrasonic cleaning and sizing I saw a small folding on the inside of the case where the smile was. That is the main reason I backed down the loads. Accuracy was better also.

The Glock with the aftermarket barrels would be okay I think.

I still use the fired cases for reduced plinking loads. I shoot the Delta a lot. You do not need full house loads all the time.

I run a 22# Wolf Recoil spring, 26# mainspring and a square bottom firing pin stop. Cases eject 4-6 feet.

With Ransom Rest, 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" @ 50 yards is what that gun will do all day long.

Federal LP Match, 180 XTP, Longshot Powder.

PS: I do not post powder weights on the interweb.

Chrono'd my 6.4grs Unique + 180gr bullet plinking load @ 844fps for 5 shots @ 10 feet. I've not ventured into the heavy loads yet as I'm having too much fun hitting my 12" plate @ 75-100yds with this weak stuff.

Ejected brass literally falls at my feet.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17

i had forgotten that.
some years ago when i first got a 10mm i spent a lot of time looking at the load combinations on the glocktalk site.
some of that stuff looked to me to be nuclear.
Posted By: Thegman Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i had forgotten that.
some years ago when i first got a 10mm i spent a lot of time looking at the load combinations on the glocktalk site.
some of that stuff looked to me to be nuclear.

I haven't been to the reloading forum on GlockTalk in quite a while, but AFAIK, there were never any issues with the 200 @ 1,200 loads I developed that others may have used. I never personally had any issues with 800X (or AA#7, which is the best 45 Super powder I've found).

As far as bulged cases, and case life, due to Glock's chamber geometry (which seem to mimic the tapered 9mm case, even in non-tapered cases, like the 10mm), Glock barrels would show case bulges that Lone Wolf barrels wouldn't. The rear of the chamber was larger than it needed to be, and fired cases essentially showed the same taper that a 9mm case starts with. I think a lot of those "Glock bulges" were more of a chamber design issue than a pressure issue. IMO, Glock's 9mm chambers are great, the others, not so much, or at least weren't, I haven't had one in a long time.
Posted By: Pittu Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17

Chrono'd my 6.4grs Unique + 180gr bullet plinking load @ 844fps for 5 shots @ 10 feet. I've not ventured into the heavy loads yet as I'm having too much fun hitting my 12" plate @ 75-100yds with this weak stuff.

Ejected brass literally falls at my feet.

I have two loads I shoot in my glock 20. A hardcast 200 grainer with 4.8 gr of unique which drops brass at my feet, and a slightly less than max load of AA#9 with the same bullet for bear protection carry. Ditched the factory barrel asap, and run a lone wolf.
I run 3 reloads on the hot load and then retire them to the unique load. Still running some brass with 6 or more reloads on it.

I agree a light load of unique is a fun accurate load to shoot, even if it is a little dirty.

What hard cast are you using? I am going to order the Bayou Bullet 200gr bullet for plinkers I think.
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17

As far as bulged cases, and case life, due to Glock's chamber geometry (which seem to mimic the tapered 9mm case, even in non-tapered cases, like the 10mm), Glock barrels would show case bulges that Lone Wolf barrels wouldn't. The rear of the chamber was larger than it needed to be, and fired cases essentially showed the same taper that a 9mm case starts with. I think a lot of those "Glock bulges" were more of a chamber design issue than a pressure issue. IMO, Glock's 9mm chambers are great, the others, not so much, or at least weren't, I haven't had one in a long time.

That was the case years ago, but not so much any more. If someone's using an old gen 2 Glock or maybe early gen 3, this is good info, but it's not as relevant with the newer stuff.
Posted By: EdM Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
I find it interesting to read of many folks on various forums loading down their 357's, 41's, 44's, 475's, etc., whilst nearly every thread on the 10 mm is about reaching the highest velocity possible. Any ideas why?
Posted By: Gibby Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by EdM
I find it interesting to read of many folks on various forums loading down their 357's, 41's, 44's, 475's, etc., whilst nearly every thread on the 10 mm is about reaching the highest velocity possible. Any ideas why?

I never understood that either. If you need more than a 10mm, go to your revolvers.

.......or the .460 Rowland. It is easier on the guns than the 10mm and a lot more power.

For the .45 Super fans. That is a gun killer. But that is another thread.
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Because the 10mm in a semi auto is relatively mild to shoot with less felt recoil and muzzle blast even with full power loads, compared to the big bore revolvers. Not sure on downloading the 357 though, unless you're talking about small & light pocket guns, they can be pretty snappy with full house loads.

There are plenty of threads on reaching max power with lots of other cartridges too, the 10mm is no exception there. None of the loads I see discussed in this thread are dangerous in the right guns and with proper loading practices; it's not like we're all a bunch of nut jobs looking for the ragged edge of safety for the sake of another 10 fps.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17

And a pound of Longshot just wandered into my reloading room...........

Great news Bearcat, I started at 8.2 grains of Longshot and worked up to 8.4 grains and 1244 fps with my 200 gr bullets, my DW is a 5" all steel gun with a ramped barrel.
Originally Posted by bea175

No more 800X for me.

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

the 10mm is hard on brass when loaded max and that is why i use a 24 lb recoil spring in my Glock 20

Bea, the reason I ask is, IIRC my 40 is loaded to higher pressures than a 10mm, could it be that 40 S&W brass is stronger than 10mm, if so, that's very strange.

No more 800X for me.

AA#9 ,can't beat it.

I shoot a Delta Elite. At max you will have a slight smile (1275-1300fps with 180gr). I do not go further than 1250 with 180gr. XTP or Hardcast. That little bit extra velocity seems to raise the pressure too much for me.

I liked using Starline Nickel but do not now. I was trying to be easy on my extractor using Nickel, being that the 10mm is a long case. I do not think it makes a difference in ejection, so I quit using it.

When using the Redding feed through die to size the whole case, I thought the Nickle was too brittle. I did notice with the brass that I used around 1300+ fps after ultrasonic cleaning and sizing I saw a small folding on the inside of the case where the smile was. That is the main reason I backed down the loads. Accuracy was better also.

The Glock with the aftermarket barrels would be okay I think.

I still use the fired cases for reduced plinking loads. I shoot the Delta a lot. You do not need full house loads all the time.

I run a 22# Wolf Recoil spring, 26# mainspring and a square bottom firing pin stop. Cases eject 4-6 feet.

With Ransom Rest, 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" @ 50 yards is what that gun will do all day long.

Federal LP Match, 180 XTP, Longshot Powder.

PS: I do not post powder weights on the interweb.

Thanks Gibby. I have no smileys with my 10mm loads, but have loaded my P226 40 S&W at least five times with the same brass without incident, just wondering if I can safely do the same with this DW 10mm.
Posted By: RelodR Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
In the mid 90's, V3N37 + 200gr XTP was my hot load of choice.
Posted By: Gibby Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
Google "Original Norma 10mm loads". Lot of info can be read.

200gr @ 1200 fps

Your DW with the ramped barrel does a much better job than the Delta for supporting the brass I would guess.

I do know Starline uses a different grain structure for their 10mm brass. At least they used to state that. I have no idea how the web section compares to their .40 S&W brass. Other than using SP primer pocket.

Be careful.

No Kabooms!

Thanks, and RAH-JAH, no KABOOMS! smile

I'm very happy with 200 grains at 1244.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
Originally Posted by EdM

I think it's because of people wanting to turn it into something it's not, a semiauto 41magnum.
In my case i got the glock 20 before i got the brass and dies to reload it.
I bought two boxes of factory remington 180grain bullets. Looking at the box they were turning about 1000fps. Can you say .40s&w?
I still have the boxes, minus about six rounds. The other interesting thing is right out of a lyman reloading manual is 165gr silvertips at 1200fps out of a s&w .40.
what i wanted was the norma 200grain at 1200fps load. When i figured that out, i pretty much stayed with it.
That's in the light 41magnum class, certainly 41special class, and what i am most happy with 1000fps to 1200fps.
And i load a lot of stuff in that range from 45colt, 44magnum, 44special, 41magnum, 41special etc.
the atvantage to the 10mm is that 14round mag capacity in the glock 20.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17

I find the recoil of a 180gr bullet @ 1300fps very controllable and very accurate from my Glock 20 so that's what I want to match, not make it a heavy 41 magnum. I have plinking loads for all my handguns I load for but when I hunt with them it's with more or less full power loads.

44 magnum - 275gr @ 1250fps, 300gr @ 1100fps or 240 @ 1400fps. These are my recoil limits with the 44 magnum.
30/30 - 170 @ 2000fps

I've tried the 300's @ 1300+fps and I just don't like the recoil from the 44 magnum. I've shot the 454's in single actions, heavy 45LC's, 480's and 475 Linebaugh's and I'm glad other people can shoot them and enjoy them but I can't.
Posted By: Pittu Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17

What hard cast are you using? I am going to order the Bayou Bullet 200gr bullet for plinkers I think.

I bought a thousand of the powder coated 200 grainers from Missouri Bullet Company. Great price, great bullets.
Posted By: Desertrat Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
I have been using AA#9 for a long time in a few calibers. 10mm, 44 Mag and .475 LInebaugh. Its a good one and has been proven consistent and
accurate in my loads.

I wonder how these are as far as being a good flat nose meplat?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...er-401-diameter-180-grain-lead-flat-nose
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
That profile is fine, but I suggest saving yourself a bunch of trouble and just go with coated bullets to start with, and not from Midway because they don't have what you'll want.. They aren't much more expensive, if at all, and have no downsides compared to the bullet you linked to.

I am ordering that coated ones from Bayou bullets. I was just wondering if the one from midway would have a wider meplat for hunting?
Posted By: KenMi Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/09/17
Stay away from fired Federal brass. Much of it is military, and the strength is variable. Had one rupture. Took out the magazine catch, but that was all, fortunately
Posted By: ldholton Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/10/17
my experince raw speed #9 , over all best accuracy , reliabilty ? longhot BE 86 pretty good to to duplicate factory loads
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 07/10/17

I am ordering that coated ones from Bayou bullets. I was just wondering if the one from midway would have a wider meplat for hunting?

You'd have better results with a 180 XTP for that, IMO.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/10/18

Bumping this back up.

I just got around to burning through my Underwood 180 XTP's and some other ammo so I set down and started to chrono some loads from my Glock 20.

Underwood 180 XTP's average 5 shots 1359fps - Glock 20 Storm Lake 6" barrel

Sig Brass
WLP
Longshot
180 XTP

Average 5 shots

9.0grs - 1300fps
9.3grs - 1344fps
9.5grs - 1374fps - holy crap

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot 9.0grs, 9.2grs and 9.3grs for accuracy.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/10/18

I did some shooting today and 9.2grs is where I'm going to settle. Accuracy was very good.

Sig Brass
WLP
1.260" OAL
FCD 1 turn
Longshot - 9.2grs

Glock 20 - 6" Storm Lake

Chrono'd 5 rounds after some accuracy shooting - 1338, 1328, 1333, 1333, 1334 - 710lbs of energy
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/14/18
I had a Glock 20 a few years back. Tried Universal, Unique, Titegroup, and Power Pistol with it - all worked well. Had problems with the Glock, including case ruptures, using a Lone Wolf barrel. Went to a 6" Glock barrel that seemed to "work" much better, but sold the gun when I was dealing for a .480 Ruger, so didn't experiment with it a lot. I have a EAA Witness 10mm now, so I'm starting over with this caliber. I like the 10mm as a woods-carry and hunting gun, but most of my handgun hunting now is for hogs, at fairly close ranges. I still want to try an RIA 1911 in 10mm - ought to be very good for what I use a 10mm for.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/14/18

A friend has several of the EAA guns and really likes them. He's killed a few hogs and deer with his using the 180 XTP.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/14/18
You have her going on now Bearcat, I've got all the 200 gr nosler HP's shot up, it'll be 200 gr XTP's and Longshot from now own, have settled on an even 1200 fps in my all steel DW ramped 5" 1911, what a fun, and accurate gun to shoot.smile
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I had a Glock 20 a few years back. Tried Universal, Unique, Titegroup, and Power Pistol with it - all worked well. Had problems with the Glock, including case ruptures, using a Lone Wolf barrel.

Uh, Mike, it's no surprise you had case ruptures if you were trying to load full power 10mm with those powders. You gotta put more research into burn rate than that; those fast powders peak pressure quickly in that case; they're fine for mild loads but terrible choices for full power and can be dangerous.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/16/18
Actually, I NEVER push my loads to "full power" - in any caliber. I followed "published" loads, backed off a bit.

What powder would you recommend??

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Yondering Re: What powder for 10mm? - 06/16/18
You didn't get case ruptures from mild pressure, unless you found some really bad brass or did something wrong to the gun. Those powders you used produce very rapid pressure spikes, and it doesn't take much of a change to go from mild to dangerous. Anything more than top 40 S&W velocity in the 10mm with those powders is asking for trouble in my experience, and if you're only loading below that level, why use the 10mm at all...

Read my comments earlier in the thread about powders. AA9, AA7, Longshot, and Blue Dot are your prime choices.
© 24hourcampfire