Home
Recently purchased a glock 40 MOS 10mm with the intent of it being my hunting handgun. Arizona javelina, possibly a Texas cull hunt, and my Stanley cup; a close range elk.

I'm thinking a 200 XTP, and then a cast if elk ever happens.

I would love to see others experiences with the 10mm, pictures, and what loads were used.
I had the G40 when it first came out. I was pretty disappointed in it. Hope you have better luck than I did. I took a 4X4 WT with it at 25-27 yards with factory Sig 180 FMJ. Not ideal but it was handy and did a very nice job. Ran 50 yards and watched it tip over. Horsepower was there.....accuracy wasn't what I hoped. Maybe it was just too large of a grip for me to run adequately. I run XTPs now as well. But 180s. Could penetration test videos showed the 180 actually outpenetrating the 200s I believe. Neither a poor choice in my opinion tho. I am NOT a fan of hard cast. And would rather run my own XTP ammo than Underwood cast. Just my .02
Did you ever replace the factory barrel?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 07/29/17

I hope to kill a deer with my G20 and the 6" Storm Lake barrel this season. I'm shooting Underwood 180 XTP's @ 1359fps. I have some powders to load for mine and will still probably stick with the 180 XTP when I shoot the Underwood ammo up.

I've thought about ordering the 200gr Double Tap cast to load.

This is an interesting bullet: https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=35822
I have been playing with my Glock 40 . I could tell you how accurate it is, but would get accused of lying. One of my favorite handguns of all time so far. I have shot a couple of feral pigs. Have been testing the below ammo with good results to date:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...phy-bonded-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-20
Posted By: viking Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 07/29/17
I read a story yesterday on Glock Talk. Guys where talking about that Artic Patrol that carries Glock 10mm's. Someone posted a link to another site that talked about it. The article said that one soldier killed a Polar bear with 6 quick shots a very close range, it sounded like it stopped at 1 meter. It made reference that they carry both FMJ and HP. It didn't reveal what kind or weight. Interesting none the less.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 07/29/17
I wonder if anyone has shot a G40 with factory barrel with 180XTP's from some type of machine rest. I know for a fact that my shooting is a lot worse than most pistols are capable of shooting. The glock trigger takes a lot of work and focus to master.
Accuracy has never been an issue with any Glock I've had, including the G40. I upgraded the barrel for velocity reasons, not accuracy. Every 10mm Glock I've shot with an aftermarket barrel has shown gains of 50-100fps with no exceptions. Literally same load, and up to 100fps gain just by changing the barrel. I changed the barrel to a semi-fit Bar-Sto (had to mill it to fit perfect), Vogel competition Glock trigger, and Tru-glu adjustable night sights.

You have to try various loads or come up with your own magic reload recipe to get top accuracy. Mine easily shoots 1" groups, standing, at 10 yards. Better than any revolver I've ever shot, period.
Tagging...
Casey, I have a new one as well. I mounted a Trijicon RMR sight, and so far, with 180 grain FMJ, it's decent enough with regards to accuracy. I have not done any formal bench rest shooting, but it seems to do what I need done at (for me anyway) reasonable hand gun ranges. I am mostly looking to use this pistol on feral hogs, hunting at night. I mounted a Streamlight TLR-1 HL light on the rail, and it works well.
I started out shooting 180gr Buffalo Bore Gold Dots exclusively in 10mm. They worked and they worked well. But...after using garden variety 175gr Winchester and 170gr PMC I have come to the conclusion that there is not a significant real world difference in performance compared to the hot stuff.

Heavy hard cast and FMJ is were hot 10mm really comes into it's own imo. Pushing hollow points faster just means they expand faster and penetrate less. Fine for light game like deer but not what you want for hunting dense game like hog or bear.
Posted By: viking Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/03/17
U tube is full of videos on hunting with the 10.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by viking
U tube is full of videos on hunting with the 10.

YouTube is full of it for sure. 👍🏻
Posted By: viking Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/03/17
Uncle Ted and the water buffalo....
DB Dobbs and his raspberry beret......
so saying a fellow wanted to load some hard cast 180 grain bullets for a Glock G40, what would be a good powder choice. If I do this, it will be for hog hunting only. What sort of velocity? Are the Acme bullets suitable?
Posted By: viking Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17
Check out Underwood ammo and see what velocities they get. Scour the load manuals for loads that get you in the ball park. # 7 and #9 is where I would start.. The only reason I never tried # 9 is I could never find it.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17

From my 6" Storm Lake barrel in my Glock 20 the Underwood 180 XTP averages 1359fps
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17
I only have one hunting credit to my 1911 10mm so far, well, not a hunt, just a kill, I was walking out to my reloading shop one afternoon a few months back with my new DW 10mm in my pocket, a red squirrel bolted from Wifeys garden and proceeded to climb a tree and chew me out.

Now, if I were caught stealing food, I'd simply apologize and leave quietly if allowed, he had that option. but instead got ready for a bark fest while peering around the three forked tree about 15' up and 15 yards away, I leveled the sights on his head and squeezed one off, barely caught him in the neck with a 200 gr Nosler HP. it was enough. smile
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

From my 6" Storm Lake barrel in my Glock 20 the Underwood 180 XTP averages 1359fps

That's smoking Bearcat, deer, pig or crackhead alike wouldn't balk that load.
Check out Underwood ammo and see what velocities they get. Scour the load manuals for loads that get you in the ball park. # 7 and #9 is where I would start.. The only reason I never tried # 9 is I could never find it.

my older loading books don't even mention the 10MM. I am not going to buy a new library, just want some suggestions on powder. lol
If I reload these, it won't be with a JHP bullet, but a hard cast one.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

That's smoking Bearcat, deer, pig or crackhead alike wouldn't balk that load.

It's very accurate too. I let my grip relax once or this would have been a super group. 5 shot @ 25yds

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12188241#Post12188241
You're pork and deer loin ready my friend, good shooting. wink
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I would love to see others experiences with the 10mm, pictures, and what loads were used.

If you haven't watched any of Razor Dobb's shows he is a 10mm fanatic/lunatic. He don't just talk about it, he does it.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/05/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

my older loading books don't even mention the 10MM. I am not going to buy a new library, just want some suggestions on powder. lol

Mannlicher seriously, if your reloading manuals are too old to list 10mm data, you really should consider newer manuals anyway for updated data even on the older powders listed in your manuals. And of course, there's a bunch of load data online now. Hodgdon, Alliant, Western Powders, and even Sierra data can generally be found online.
Posted By: Fisch Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/06/17
9 Javelina with a Glock 20, 155 grain XTPs and Blue Dot with no issues. Picked up a Glock 40 a few months ago and installed a Razor red dot sight, KKM barrel and had Glockmeister in Mesa reduce the trigger pull. Based on practice sessions with the 40, off of sticks, pigs inside of 75 yards are going to be in trouble.
Posted By: viking Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/06/17
Accurate powders used to have a great online guide. FYI
Where do you usually chase the stinkers? I killed one with my 1911 down south a few years back. My G40 ANF kkm arrived today.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/06/17
Accurate powders used to have a great online guide. FYI

They still do. You can download the complete Western Powders (Ramshot and Accurate powders) load data in a .pdf format.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Mannlicher seriously, if your reloading manuals are too old to list 10mm data, you really should consider newer manuals anyway for updated data even on the older powders listed in your manuals. And of course, there's a bunch of load data online now. Hodgdon, Alliant, Western Powders, and even Sierra data can generally be found online.

Yondering, seriously, I like my old manuals. I don't load a wide variety of calibers, and I probably have not changed my core loads in close to 40 years. laughing ................but thanks for the personal interest and concern. smile
The only thing I can recall actually killing with a 10 is a coon on the back deck. Glock 20 did the job probably with some twenty year old handloads.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/07/17
1050 FPS seems pretty lame....

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf

Longshot not so lame...

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
\
With Longshot, it looks like the starting and the max loads are awfully close.
very narrow window, I would plan to weight each load, but that is just me.
Posted By: okie john Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/07/17

I’ve spent several years chasing accuracy in Glocks. I’ve posted some of what I’ve learned in various places before, not always to a warm reception. This is it posted it all together, so take what you can use and ignore the rest.

To start, Glocks are plenty accurate for duty and practical shooting games. You won’t sweep Camp Perry with one, but a stock Gen3 G17 properly zeroed with good ammo should shoot a 3-4" group at 25 yards and should easily stay on an IPSC target at 100 yards. Gen4 guns are somewhat more accurate, but if you want a true match-grade 9mm pistol, then get something else.

Shooter Technique
The best way to increase accuracy in Glock pistols is to increase your core strength, upper body strength, and grip strength. This helps you shoot everything better, not just Glocks. So does dry firing.

From there, you have to nail the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight alignment, and trigger control. They’re all vital and they’re all covered in detail in lots of places, so I won’t go into them. But the list is not complete without follow through. Without it, you throw away everything else you’ve done, literally at the last possible split-second. Pat McNamara says that follow-through is checking your work through your sights, and that you should regain a good sight picture as soon as the shot is fired so that you always have one sight picture more than the number of shots you fired. Fire one shot, get two sight pictures. Fire two shots, get three sight pictures, and so on.

Also, do a Google search for “the shooter’s wheel of misfortune”. It can help you diagnose issues with your grip and trigger press.

Ammo
I tested nearly 20 different factory loads over a couple of years, and I learned that a load that groups well in one Glock may not group well in another. Test ammo by shooting several ten-shot groups with each load at 25 yards (50 yards is better), and keep notes. You may find a load that cuts your groups in half.

Duty-grade JHP ammo tends to be more accurate than FMJ practice ammo, but that’s a low bar. Most FMJ ammo is crap, especially bulk reloads. Good FMJ ammo can be nearly as accurate as good JHP ammo in some pistols, but a lot of it will barely hold a 10” group at 25 yards. Find an FMJ load that your pistol shoots well—it may not be the most expensive one—and buy several cases of it at a time.

Trigger
Glocks are harder to shoot as well as some other pistols because the trigger pull is so long and heavy. Testing different combinations of springs and connectors definitely pays off. I like the OEM minus (-) connector with a stock trigger spring. Results vary, but definitely look into it.

The 25-cent trigger job is also a big help, as it smooths and lightens the trigger pull no matter what connector and spring you prefer. If you have an issued Glock and you can’t alter it, you can get the same effect by shooting or dry-firing it several thousand cycles. The 25-cent trigger job feels about the same as a Glock that’s been fired 5-6,000 times.

It has become fashionable to run pistols dirty and dry, but I find that a clean, well lubricated pistol is much easier to shoot well. I clean and lube my Glocks, especially the fire control parts, about every thousand rounds. The Glock trigger is problematic enough, so I see no reason to complicate life by fighting months of accumulated fouling, dust, dirt, belly-button lint, etc., on every trigger press. Also, Glocks are so easy to detail strip that there’s no reason not to have a clean, properly lubricated pistol pretty much all the time.

Sights & Zero
Sights matter a LOT and the best choice for each of us deserves its own thread. What matters at least as much as the sights themselves but is almost completely overlooked is zero. Based on several years working on indoor ranges, I'd say that the vast majority of shooters have no idea what a zero is. Most of the rest assume that their pistols are zeroed from the factory, or that centering their sights in the dovetail is adequate. This is false.

Getting windage sorted out is pretty simple: just shoot 10- or 20-shot groups and move the rear sight until you get the same number of hits left of the centerline as you have right of it. And yes, Glocks do tend to shoot to the left from the factory, even in the hands of good shooters.

Then there’s elevation. As your groups shrink, you become able to make hits farther and farther away, and your zero for elevation starts to matter. No firearm comes from the factory with a good zero, but Glocks are especially bad in this respect—it can take a surprising amount of screwing around to properly zero them for elevation. I zero a 9mm at 25 yards I can hold the A-zone out to 50 without much change in POA, and I can stay on an IPSC target out to 100 or so by holding for the chin.

Take the time you need to get a solid zero with good ammo and you’ll be way ahead. Again, all of this is a highly personal matter, so test sights on your own, work with some different zeros, and find what works best for you.

Targets
Shooting small groups on visually cluttered targets is harder than on simple targets. I find that targets meant for zeroing rifle scopes are almost useless for iron-sighted handguns. Here it helps to take a lesson from bullseye shooters. They prefer a single black bullseye on a large (20”x20” or so) sheet of plain buff-colored paper. If the buff-colored part of the paper appears wider than the rest of your sight picture, then you’ll only have your sights and the bull in view as you shoot, which makes shooting small groups easier. Also, the buff background strains your eyes less than a black target on a white background.

Barrels
I've worked with three Wilson barrels. They improved accuracy in two guns but not in the third, and at least part of that was due to the rate of twist. I have listed this last because I would go through all of the steps described above before I bought another match barrel, especially in a Gen4 Glock.

I’ve found that each of these things will help to shrink your groups a little. None is a magic fix by itself, but when you add them all together, the cumulative improvement can be remarkable.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John
the trigger sure makes it more difficult to shoot the gun well, I am getting better but I am at best 2 inch groups at 10 yards for 10 shots. I have no problem accepting that at best the factory barreled G40 is a 10 shot 4 inch gun best case at 25 yards. The issue is how many amongst us can even shoot 4 inches with a 1 inch 10 shot pistol at 25 yards. Not many are shooting thrown aspirin tablets out of the air except on the internet or in their fantasies.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/07/17
Hodgdon list the 10mm online.
Excellent info Okie John, and a lot of guys should read it and then go back and read it again.

BTW, as far as targets go, a dollar store pack of garage sale 3/8ths" dots as well as 3x5" index cards both make excellent cheap targets to practice the fundamentals on. You can get a heck of a lot of mileage out of a typical USPSA target this way.

MS.
Posted By: okie john Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/08/17
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Excellent info Okie John, and a lot of guys should read it and then go back and read it again.

BTW, as far as targets go, a dollar store pack of garage sale 3/8ths" dots as well as 3x5" index cards both make excellent cheap targets to practice the fundamentals on. You can get a heck of a lot of mileage out of a typical USPSA target this way.

MS.

Thank you.

Okie John
Posted By: beretzs Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/08/17
Another G40 guy here. The fellas got me one when I retired last year. I use Longshot and 180-200 grain Noslers and Starline cases. Did the simple trigger job Okie John mentioned. Next up is going to be a red dot. It's a wicked weapon if you spend some time with it. I don't know if I'll ever seriously hunt it but it's fun to shoot at distance.
You might want to PM JJHack.. He has seen the 10mm work pretty well on black bears. E
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 10mm hunting experiences - 08/09/17
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
You might want to PM JJHack.. He has seen the 10mm work pretty well on black bears. E

The 9mm can stop large Alaskan Brown Bear with hard cast, I'm sure the 10mm will do the same when properly loaded.
© 24hourcampfire