Home
Posted By: Cariboujack Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/12/17

I had an early one of these and let it get away before I shot it. I've heard good reports on the shooting, I thought the one I had, had a pretty descent trigger. Bothered by the FO Front sight that was a little proud above the barrel, but then I don't care for FO sights anyway. Has anyone bought one recently and can you tell me your thoughts. Is the sight still proud? Are they still shooting pretty well. I'm sorry I let mine get away and am thinking I need another one.

Input???
Deflave bought one a few months ago and wrote up a report. Do a search.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/12/17
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Input???

10 Hail Mary's and buy another.

Father
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/12/17
I have done a little bit of searching for the 5" model and can't seem to find much. Would be a handy rig in my opinion.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/12/17
I got one of the early 3" models as soon as they arrived at Whittaker's. I have nothing bad to say about it. Sure, a few things need changing (grips, front sight) but I find that I can shoot it pretty well. I have fired mine over 500 times with no hang-ups. It is one of my favorite revolvers. Loaded with 6.5 gr. of Universal under my 250 gr. Keith bullet, I am pretty much ready for most threats, four legged or two.
Posted By: BLRNut Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/18/17
Got one and now is my CCW. Grips are great. Front sight is a bit above the barrel. Even ol'e Dad's 76 yr old eyes permit 1" groups at 15 yds.
That's quite a hunk of steel to make your daily carry, but nice weapon.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/19/17
the current 'Firearms News' has a complimentary story on them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/19/17
These are probably some of the greatest revolvers in the history of revolvers.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I believe you're thinking of my double action tutorial.

Not really GP specific but always worth a second look:

Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/19/17
Ror. You funny, cowboy
Christ I can shoot.

Dave
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/25/17
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]That's quite a hunk of steel to make your daily carry, but nice weapon. [/

The GP100 in 44 special weighs 36 ounces, which is the same as a steel 1911 Commander, and three ounces less than the full-sized model. Both of those guns have been carried all day/every day by a lot of folks for a lot of years. In a good holster on a good belt, this revolver can be carried very comfortably.
Didn't know I wanted one of those till now..
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/26/17
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Didn't know I wanted one of those till now..

Funny how that works. They are nice guns.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I have done a little bit of searching for the 5" model and can't seem to find much. Would be a handy rig in my opinion.

I just bought a 3". Are you saying they make a 5"???? If so, I need to find one of those.
Originally Posted by deflave

Move a Coke can back to 85 yards instead of a 24" gong and the previously hidden advantages of a hammer spur become more obvious.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/27/17
Originally Posted by lastround
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]That's quite a hunk of steel to make your daily carry, but nice weapon. [/

The GP100 in 44 special weighs 36 ounces, which is the same as a steel 1911 Commander, and three ounces less than the full-sized model. Both of those guns have been carried all day/every day by a lot of folks for a lot of years. In a good holster on a good belt, this revolver can be carried very comfortably.

I had a Security Six in SS. It weighed about 34-ounces and was a nice revolver. I always wondered if anyone ever tried converting one to a 44 special and it looks like Ruger kind of did it. I say kind of because I like the S6 frame better than the GP100.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/27/17
If I'm not mistaken, gunsmith Hamilton Bowen, in his book THE CUSTOM REVOLVER, wrote about converting a Security-six to a five shot 44 special.
His concern was that reloaders would try to jack up the round above standard pressure, thereby causing failure in the frame and the barrel extension area. I'm not even giving thought to hot rodding my GP100.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/27/17
I agree with you. A 44 special is not a 44 magnum and it should be treated accordingly. But I still like the S6 frame better than the GP. I'll look for the info you mentioned. Thanks.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/27/17
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Move a Coke can back to 85 yards instead of a 24" gong and the previously hidden advantages of a hammer spur become more obvious.

Smells like a challenge.

Roll film and I'll do same.

Dave

I just bought a 3". Are you saying they make a 5"???? If so, I need to find one of those.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP-4451-5

Smells like a challenge.

Roll film and I'll do same.

Dave

Will do in upcoming weeks. May take me a few shots to hit it ; )

I want one of those. Have they hit the streets yet?
Yep.

Dave
Thank you, Dave Deflave. I found one on an auction site and committed to buy. Over my gun budget significantly now. Anybody want a GA Percision!???
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/28/17

Your turn.

Dave
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/28/17

I want one of those. Have they hit the streets yet?

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/182329/page/0/fpart/5
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/28/17

Your turn.

Dave

That's not a coke can whistle
Was that double action?
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/29/17
Was that double action?

Of course.

It's a DA revolver.

Dave
Posted By: HawkI Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/30/17
He's drunk, so he's probably being honest right now.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/30/17
Originally Posted by HawkI
He's drunk, so he's probably being honest right now.

How did you guess that?

Clark
Posted By: HawkI Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 08/30/17
Its no guess.

Every salt of the earth Midwesterner gets drunk on Monday.
Shot my 3" .44 Special today. I'm really impressed in that Ruger anticipated I like shooting handguns at long range and set it up for a 150-yard zero with the rear sight bottomed. Unfortunately, it shoots a couple of feet or more high at 25 yards.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 09/05/17
What bullet are you shooting and what velocity?
240 SWC commercially cast and 250K RCBS. Power Pistol load published by Brian Pearce to be under 15k psi. About 850 CPS out of a 4 5/8 Blackhawk. ya
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 09/06/17
DMD,
As a comparison, I'm shooting the Lyman #429421 Keith designed 250 gr. SWC over 6.5 gr. of Universal for 875 fps. Shoots about one inch high at 25 yds. with the rear sight slightly below halfway down in the adjustment cycle. Maybe a trip back to Ruger is in order.
At my local range, I was shooting pepper poppers. If I aimed at the hinge, I would hit the target a couple of feet up where they were intended to be hit. I have a Dawson .390" front sight on order.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 09/07/17
Good luck and good shootin'.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger GP100 44 Special - 09/07/17
At my local range, I was shooting pepper poppers. If I aimed at the hinge, I would hit the target a couple of feet up where they were intended to be hit. I have a Dawson .390" front sight on order.

That sucks.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire