Home
Posted By: irfubar Home made holsters - 08/18/17
A few years back I started buying knife blanks and making custom handles for them. Well I needed knife sheaths so I ordered a pre-made sheath , it was horrible

So I went online to Tandy leather and ordered some leather and a few tools and started making sheaths for my knives. It went well and was enjoyable, so I thought, hey, why not holsters?

So I gave it a whirl and it was a little more work than the sheaths it too was rewarding and fun.

One of the cool things I discovered is by molding the holster to the gun it eliminates the need for retention straps, the gun literally snaps in place.

I am wondering if we have any other leather workers here, if so I would love to see some of their work.

Here are a few pic's of my work so far, It is not my intention to compete with the pro's, just an amateurs attempt and an enjoyable past time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
Not bad Sir, what is that logo you are stamping on them?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
Thanks T LEE,
The logo is a wolf/dog track.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
Well done, sir.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
what do you do to get the stiching in?
Posted By: Yondering Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
I like that dark one with the Hi Power. That is very nice.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
Thanks guys.

The stitching is a bit tedious. First I cut a groove with a tool designed for that purpose. Then I run a ponce wheel down the groove and that leaves little divots where each hole goes.
Then with a drill press and tiny drill bit I drill each stitching hole.
Then I use two harness needles and wax coated nylon thread and use a harness stitch.

Takes several hours to complete each holster, so probably isn't for everyone?
Looks like a good way to pass the time. I'd say you're doing a fine job. Certainly better than I could do. No patience.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Home made holsters - 08/18/17
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thanks T LEE,
The logo is a wolf/dog track.

Cool.
Posted By: g5m Re: Home made holsters - 08/19/17
A power stitcher would be nice to have. Pricey, but nice.

Nice work!
Posted By: blott2007 Re: Home made holsters - 08/19/17
You should pick up a speedy stitcher. I have one to fix tie down straps and other heavy fabric sewing. It works great and is cheap.

speedy stitcher

Absolutely great work by the way.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Home made holsters - 08/19/17
Nice stuff! Which came first, the 1911 or the HiPower?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Home made holsters - 08/19/17
Thanks again guys. That speedy stitcher looks pretty handy, I will give one a try .

Rufus, the 1911 came first. smile
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Home made holsters - 08/19/17
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thanks guys.

The stitching is a bit tedious. First I cut a groove with a tool designed for that purpose. Then I run a ponce wheel down the groove and that leaves little divots where each hole goes.
Then with a drill press and tiny drill bit I drill each stitching hole.
Then I use two harness needles and wax coated nylon thread and use a harness stitch.

Takes several hours to complete each holster, so probably isn't for everyone?

i figured the drill, but didn't know about the groove tool or a ponce wheel, or what a harness needle is. Obvious i need some research.
nice looking holsters. Been tempted to do this many times.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Try using a finishing nail rather than a drill bit. It leaves a cleaner hole.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Very good work, irfubar. I've been tinkering with my holster for quite a while now but have never been satisfied with the result. Your OP made me do some searching for better techniques and tools and I now realize what I've been doing wrong.

Many thanks on the info and the work you posted.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Very nice!!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by doubletap
Try using a finishing nail rather than a drill bit. It leaves a cleaner hole.

I use an awl designed for hand stitching, no round hole. It's blade is a diamond in cross-section. Like fubar, I use a groover to keep it equidistant from the edge, and a rowel to keep the holes same distance, then punch the holes and start stitching. It's a bitch punching the holes without a stitching horse, which I've been planning on building for awhile now.

Damn nice looking holsters!
Posted By: deflave Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Will you make me a holster?

Dave
Posted By: irfubar Re: Home made holsters - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by deflave
Will you make me a holster?

Dave

Yes I will. Will cost you a beer though. smile
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Home made holsters - 08/21/17
I bought a Ruger bear car years ago and there were no holsters available for it so I did the same and just made one...from Tandy also...
Made a neat little cross draw on an angle so it doesn't bind you when getting in and out of the truck....its not pretty but works great...
I Cary it on the lawnmower somtimes with snakeshot ....the wife hates snakes....
© 24hourcampfire