Home
Just curious about what other 629 fans consider their favorites, I like a 5" full lug barrel for My deer hunting 629 and a 4" half lug barrel for My hiking gun but My money says the 6.5" full lug barrel will be most popular.............Hb
4".

Although I haven't owned a 5" so I may not know what I'm missing.

Dave
I don't have or want a wide variety of .44 mag revolvers. 4 inch barrel suits me just fine for my short range hunting and occasional self defense carry needs.
Mann, you ever kill a deer with that 4" model?........Hb
4" in the Mountain Gun contour.
I own two no dash 629's, a 4" and a 6". I prefer the latter. That said, my 5" lugless N-Frames, a 44 Mag and a 45 Colt, are perfection.
4 inch.

Above all else, handguns should be handy.
4"
With a 4" Model 19. Deer aren't hard to kill.
I have a 5" and a 4". I use the 4 most..
Mine is in 41 cal rather than .429. Had a 6 in. 657 first. Never shot it after acquiring a four inch then sold the six inch.
I prefer the Mountain Gun profile in a 4" barrel; the heavier target rib profile of the standard 29's is a bit much in 4". The 5" underlug is a nice balance but the best of all are the 5" target rib, no-lug, barrels. I had mine made up from an 8 3/8" M29. Probably the best use out there for that barrel length.
Tough to beat the mt gun ....easy to Cary and shoots plenty accurate....
So that makes me the first to check the box for the 6.5 inch full lug barrel.
I have 4" Mountain Gun, an 8 3/8" 629 Classic DX and a couple in betweens (but no 5"). I kind of like the extremes best, the MG for carrying "just because" and the 8 3/8 for deliberate hunting. That said, I don't get too hung up on barrel length.
I've owned, packed and hunted with 4", 6" and 8 3/8" M29 S&W revolvers. Makes me think a 5" half lug would be perfection.
4 inch very seldom use my 6 inch
Four inch in any 29/25 variant.
A 5" full-lug S&W 629 Classic is the ultimate DA revolver IMO. For SA, I'll take my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 5 1/2" 45LC though...... wink
I wore out a 29-2 4 inch shooting full Keith loads a bunch. Replaced it with a 629 Mountain Revolver (original model). It appears to be a bit stronger and will outlast me.

First gun killed a nice elk In Idaho and a bunch of deer. Second gun has killed several KY whitetails and a number of coyotes and smaller game.

Four inch is best for my use but would like to try an 8 3/8 as a range gun.
6" scoped full lug for me

4" in the N frame guns. I like a gun that is handy and easy to pack. Though I typically pick Rugers, in spite of having had several N frames over the years.
IIRC old Elmer liked the 5" but I know he carried the 4" everyday. Can't disagree but I shoot the 6 1/2 the best. All 29s. Have no use for the 8 3/8.
i have 3inch, 4inch, 6inch and 83/8inch in various calibers in the n frames.
on that is just fun is a model 25 .45colt with the 8 3/8inch barrel.
What i find convenient to pack aroun is the 3inch, eith 41mag, or 44mag.
or, the 2.75in ruger 41mag.
S&W Model 19-3 - 4" barrel., good balance & sight plane.

Ruger Vaquero - 4 & 5/8" barrel.
I have a Model 29 in the 6.5" variety. I like that best for shooting, but if I was gonna carry it all over the mountain I'd likely opt for the 4" instead.
5"
I had a no lug 6", a full lug 6.5" and a 4" mountain gun. Listening to a friend on here recommend the 5" I bought one of those too. I don't disagree with Ted on most anything but they all went down the road except for the 4" mountain gun.

It's just handy.
I am a little surprised as it looks like the 4" barrel is the dominant favorite, I also favor My 4" barrel 629, it would hurt but if i had to part with one of my 629's it would be the 5 incher............Hb
5" Classic with the full underlug barrel would be #1 and the Mountain Gun #2...
I have a 4 inch 629. I load the Lyman #429421 @1200 fps. If I wear it all day I never want anything bigger.
4" mountain gun preferably.
Sticking strictly with the 629, all I've had is my 4". It suits me fine other than it doesn't make the 5" minimum to be legal in Ohio for deer hunting, and it's a little heavy to just pack around for the sake of packing a gun. That being said, I've also had a 6 1/2" Herters single action .44, a 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk, and a 6" 686. Ideally, I'd have a 5" 629 to give me a skosh more sight radius over my 4" for target shooting and hunting, and a 4" 329 (scandium) for hiking when I don't have a purpose in mind other than to have a gun with me for comfort.
Years ago I had a 6" Mod 29. Now I like the 4". Here's my .44mag Mountain Gun and Mod 19 .327 that I like for woods carry

[Linked Image]

5" and 4" respectively.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a 5" full lug nickel 29-2 that is pretty sweet. A warranty repair back in 1994 IIRC. Back when the 'smith doing the "fix" called me and offered options. They did a phenomenal job including slicking up the action and a full re-nickel.
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Years ago I had a 6" Mod 29. Now I like the 4". Here's my .44mag Mountain Gun and Mod 19 .327 that I like for woods carry

[Linked Image]

I don't see a M19? M28 maybe?
Yep, a 28 is what I see. But it's a nice one.
Yeah, some Beautiful revolvers, I like the old school blue with wood grips........Hb
I was thinking 28 and wrote 19. crazy old brains do that sometimes.
For packing on a belt, a 4" is about ideal.

For hunting and long range work, I find I do my best work with a 6.5" Model 29.

For an "all around" that is comfortable to pack on a belt, yet still has a sight radius that allows precise longer range shooting, as well as better recoil management than the shorter 4" tube, I have yet to find anything better than a 5" Model 29.

The full underlug -4s and -5 blued versions make for some phenomenal hunting guns that are easy to shoot well, and have the modern upgrades. They command a premium when you find them but are worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned.

The flip side is my hands down favorite is an old 29-2 8 & 3/8ths" that I had customized, to include being cut down to 5"s.

It is funny this subject has come up, as the day before yesterday (the day of the eclipse) I had some guests at my cabin (including one some of you might recognize) and we were discussing Model 29s and snapped this pic on the porch:

[Linked Image]

Both of us are fans of 5" Model 29s, as well as Elmer Keith/the .44 Magnum.
Gotta be a 4"

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
For packing on a belt, a 4" is about ideal.

For hunting and long range work, I find I do my best work with a 6.5" Model 29.

For an "all around" that is comfortable to pack on a belt, yet still has a sight radius that allows precise longer range shooting, as well as better recoil management than the shorter 4" tube, I have yet to find anything better than a 5" Model 29.

The full underlug -4s and -5 blued versions make for some phenomenal hunting guns that are easy to shoot well, and have the modern upgrades. They command a premium when you find them but are worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned.

The flip side is my hands down favorite is an old 29-2 8 & 3/8ths" that I had customized, to include being cut down to 5"s.

It is funny this subject has come up, as the day before yesterday (the day of the eclipse) I had some guests at my cabin (including one some of you might recognize) and we were discussing Model 29s and snapped this pic on the porch:

[Linked Image]

Both of us are fans of 5" Model 29s, as well as Elmer Keith/the .44 Magnum.

Mr. Hackathorn! I bet that was a heck of a visit!
Well is wasn't just KH.

A whole slew of friends had come to see the eclipse. We did a small BBQ/picnic/social type thing. My very dirty little minions who had been playing in the dirt for hours were running wild and having a great time. All in all a very fun day. When the total eclipse happened the temps dropped very quickly so i built a fire and a number of us stuck pretty close to it. A great group of people to spend they day with!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The amount of dirt that came off of those 2 little minions when we got home was incredible. Literally showers before baths!
[Linked Image]
It don't get much better than that.
those girls are just priceless. I have been fortunate to have a number of them around through the years, my case granddaughters. Many good times with them out running around.
Milt made me a Hackathorn Special for a 5" Classic while he was still in Idaho City. Great holster except for the exposed hammer... A 329 PD now lives in it - a joy to carry and a bear to shoot.

The time of totality was simply a blur, way cool but way too short!
Craig,

I too have a Hackathorn Special. It is great when not wearing an over garment, but if I am wearing a coat or whatever, I prefer the 200AW. The things last about forever. I have some rigs that are stamped Idaho City, and I forget the years that I bought them, but they are still doing a solid job.

Funny you mention the 329. I traded into a 329 from one of the guys from the Sparks shop. My medium load of 240 grain SWC and 10 grains Unique is about all I shoot out of it. Beyond that, and the old injuries in my right wrist will ache for days afterwards.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
those girls are just priceless. I have been fortunate to have a number of them around through the years, my case granddaughters. Many good times with them out running around.

Thanks for the kind words all, in regards to the kiddos! They are a real handful!!

Seriously wild and headstrong. laugh

Someday I have no doubt that they will be shooting their own .44s from my meager collection.
Mackay,

I too have been shooting your 10 grains of Unique load and it is at my upper limit for extended shooting sessions. The 25 grains of 296 is reserved for the FA-83, and then I find that I am shooting the 10 grain load more and more. John Taffin has it right on backing off the powder can and having more fun..

Looks like you had a great eclipse party! Loved the pictures of your daughters.
Looks like you guys had a great time, I love the weekend getaway spot..congrats.....Hb
Beautiful scenery, Mac. And some very cool people pics, too.

Do you ever have any problems with break-ins at your cabin, being remote?
For a carry gun the standard 4" rules. The mountain gun version is not enough lighter to notice a difference on the hip and the slight loss of weight in the barrel results in a slight gain in recoil/muzzle flip. I currently own a 629-4 mountain gun and a 629-3 standard 4".

I shot no better and did not notice any increase in shooting comfort/recoil reduction between my 629-4 6" and 629-3 4" non lugged versions so the 6" went away.

For a range shooter or hunting version the 6.5" Classic with its full lug really tames the recoil/muzzle flip,its probably the best for a shooter. I own two 6.5" 629 Classic DX versions.

No flies on the 8 3/8" classic as a dedicated hunting revolver but its a little too much for anything else. I own a 629 Classic DX version.

The most versatile and best all around IMO is the 5" classic in either 29 or 629 form. I own a 29-6 5" Classic, a 629-3 5" classic and a 629-3 5" Classic DX.
Sweet! I never knew Smith made a Classic DX model with a 5" barrel, I had one with a 6.5" barrel and it was the most accurate handgun i have ever owned, so naturally i sold it....ha! What a dumbass!.....Hb
4" 629 is my favorite to carry when hunting but 8 3/8" is a very nice shooter
5" always seems right for a N frame.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

"Knock on wood"

Not so far, but the one full time neighbor within about a 10 mile radius is only a few hundred yards away and he keeps an eye out. He is a super great guy, and keeps a close watch on anything and everything.
I swapped grips and put the sweet Herretts Troopers on the 4" 29-2 to really show off the hand carved leather! cool grin

[Linked Image]
Like a 6" half lug for hunting.
But for fun/all around.........4" half lug (reg contour).
8 3/8 is just too long (shot great, whacked a few deer...went back to 6")
Originally Posted by local_dirt

"Knock on wood"

Not so far, but the one full time neighbor within about a 10 mile radius is only a few hundred yards away and he keeps an eye out. He is a super great guy, and keeps a close watch on anything and everything.

That's awesome, Mac. You can't buy neighbors like that.

I won't bother fogging the air with the slap in the face around 9 am this morning from my new millenials neighbors I've been bending over backwards for. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
Yeah I feel very fortunate to have a great cabin neighbor.

Millennials.... well that is another story. There is a very good reason I don't go to town much. It is better for everyone.
Mac - that holster is just a thing of beauty...I could stare at it for hours!
Desert Oakie

It is seriously the nicest holster I have ever used by a long shot.
I swapped grips and put the sweet Herretts Troopers on the 4" 29-2 to really show off the hand carved leather! cool grin

[Linked Image]

Love Sheridan style carving. Was at Don King Days last weekend thinking a lot about this style leatherwork. Thanks for sharing.
Would never own a 44 Magnum. Not a fan.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Please collect your hammer and sickle and get the fugk outta here.

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Please collect your hammer and sickle and get.....outta here.

Dave

Don't have either. I do have several 45 Colts.
© 24hourcampfire