Home
Posted By: Holston Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
I'll start off by saying I'm no handgun expert. I've had a pile over the years, but would shoot them for a bit then send em down the road.

I bought a flattop Bisley a few years ago, and found "my" cartridge. The .44 Special can and will do all I'll ever ask out of handgun and I really have enjoyed it. Been shooting a 250 Keith style over 7ish grains of Unique and feel that's about right for my needs.

I've been getting a bad itch for a DA revolver, for general carry. Torn between the S&W 69 Combat Magnum (2.75") and the GP100 (3"). Handled them both and can't say I really have a preference. I think that the 69 may carry a little better, but not sure.

Just trying to get some opinions before I buy one from some of you that are much more handgun savvy than me. Please keep in mind that the fact that the S&W can shoot magnums is irrelevant, if I go that route it will strictly see special loads/brass.

Almost picked up the Ruger today, but I am having a helluva hard time picking between the two. Both isn't an option right now.

Thanks.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Im thinking if its about "the cartridge", Id want the gun to be specifically chambered for it.
"Special" loads are still best served in magnum cases in guns chambered for such. Think oversized throat with plenty of freebore....

JMO.
Posted By: eicas Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Hello,

Wandered over here following a few posters here from another forum....

I've had the Ruger now about 6mo and really enjoy it. I also bought it wanting a good DA woods gun that I wouldnt have to worry about like my older Smiths'. I've been carrying it in a DeSantis Thumbreak and it actually rides high and is quite concealable with just a covershirt. Load-wise, it seems to like cast bullets more than the .429 jacketed stuff. I've got great results with the Skeeter load of the 250gr Keith and 7.5gr Unique sized .431. I'm experimenting currently with 2400 hoping to bump it over 1000fps. Not planning on running a lot of that thru it, but quite a few bears (black) around our place and a bit extra "oomph" would make me happy. I've run the Sig 200gr V Crown thru it as well with good results. Mushrooms nicely thru 3 water jugs, ending up in the 4th.

Hope this helps. The gun has really grown on me over the summer and find myself shooing it more and more.

If I can figure out how to post pics, I toss a few up.

Best

eicas

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dave284 Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
I tend to agree with Hawk, if your bond and determined to stick with the special case I'd stick with a special handgun. Unlike most here, I prefer Rugers revolvers to Smith's.

That being said, I'd handle them another time or two to be sure that I didn't prefer the feel of one to the other.

YMMV.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Usually your type of situation tells me that I'd be happy with either. No reason splitting hairs and over thinking it, go buy the one with the best price and don't look back.
I have a real itch to find a Smith 329 for your type of Special loads.
Posted By: deflave Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
If you are going to shoot it a lot I'd get the Ruger.

If you are going to carry it a lot I'd get the Smith.

Travis
+1 on Travis' comments. I have four 44 specials (none are the two you mentioned). They all seem to have a different purpose. I think that they now make a 3" model 69, which would be good, too.
Originally Posted by Holston
I'll start off by saying I'm no handgun expert. I've had a pile over the years, but would shoot them for a bit then send em down the road.

I bought a flattop Bisley a few years ago, and found "my" cartridge. The .44 Special can and will do all I'll ever ask out of handgun and I really have enjoyed it. Been shooting a 250 Keith style over 7ish grains of Unique and feel that's about right for my needs.

I've been getting a bad itch for a DA revolver, for general carry. Torn between the S&W 69 Combat Magnum (2.75") and the GP100 (3"). Handled them both and can't say I really have a preference. I think that the 69 may carry a little better, but not sure.

Just trying to get some opinions before I buy one from some of you that are much more handgun savvy than me. Please keep in mind that the fact that the S&W can shoot magnums is irrelevant, if I go that route it will strictly see special loads/brass.

Almost picked up the Ruger today, but I am having a helluva hard time picking between the two. Both isn't an option right now.

Thanks.
I've owned a model 69 and have not owned the Ruger. I didn't like the 69 as well as my 629 Mountain Gun. If I wanted a 44 Spec. though, I'd get one and not a 44 Mag., so that leaves the Ruger. IMO you should look for a 624. I've owned two or three. The cartridge itself holds no magic to me. If I were to get a 44 Spec. though, the 624 is the best ever made.
I have L and N framed Specials and to me the N-Frame is kinda silly if you want the Special. The five shot L frames are the bees knees. The old 696 would probably be perfection but they can be hard to find.

It's difficult to not love the Ruger though.

Travis
No question, S&W 696 no dash. Forged internals and no lock.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
buy the Smith and don't look back
Unless the stainless 3" guns are exactly what you're looking for, it might be wise to wait & see what else Ruger cooks up on the GP100 frame. While they also offer the hard to find 5" blued GP100 the rumor is they're be releasing another .44 spec variant soon. Anyone's guess what it'll be and when though...
Posted By: Holston Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to pick up the Ruger now and see what happens.

Those 696s do look great though, several NIB ones on gunbroker right now.
How much?

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave
How much?

Dave

A lot. But you pay for quality.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Darn, figuring your were "torn between 2 44 specials", I'd hoped you were looking for a NMBH 44 Special, since I have one for sale over in the classified section.

Alan
Posted By: Holston Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/14/17
Originally Posted by deflave
How much?

Dave

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694295608

No way to know on that one. Probably ain't cheap...
Since we're talking about 44. Specials, I see the 5" blued GP100's are hitting gunbroker. Not an insane price at all and they have the good taste to use the older wooden insert grips.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/695745971

Somehow Ruger just keeps missing my personal bullseye, which is a 5" half lug stainless. Well, okay, they do make one in .22 LR, but a .357 or .44 so configured would please me.
I went with the S&W L Frame model 69 with the 2.75" barrel. Main reason for me was the option to shoot .44 Mag ammo if needed and its a lighter weight carry gun than the Ruger. That being said, I usually just run my .44 special loads through the new Smith.

My usual load is 8 grains of Unique with a 260 grain LBT WFN hard cast bullet that will kill any animal I might encounter including large feral hogs at the Ranch.

I'll eventually get one of the RUGER GP-100's in .44 special, but I'm waiting to get one of the 5" versions.

If Ruger would do the GP-100 in 10mm with moon clips that would be the cats ass, IMO. I'd buy one in a heart beat!
Posted By: eicas Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/15/17
I think you will like it. It carries much better than it looks it should. If interested, the DeSantis is the same fit model used for the short Colt Python. Get a good belt! Post a pic if you can.

Best
Posted By: Holston Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/19/17
Picked it up yesterday evening. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but will try to put a few rounds through it later today.

Thinking hard about ordering a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for this one, been wanting to try one for a few years, I think it'd be about ideal for how/when this one will be carried.
Posted By: deflave Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/20/17
You'll probably like it. Most do.

Travis
Posted By: eicas Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/20/17
Chooot it!
Posted By: jbmi Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 09/25/17
Love the round, I only have one 44 Special, like it enough that I've never looked for another.
Enjoy your new gun,
[Linked Image]
You should try a Taurus 431 or 441 stainless. Out of production for at least 15 years, but they occasionally pop up on GB. they are the size and weight of a K frame Smith with a 5 round cyl. I load 15 gr. of 2400 behind a 240 cast Keith bullet that is good for about 1050fps. Not a squib load, but very accurate.
Posted By: Holston Re: Torn between 2 44 specials - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by Limapapa
You should try a Taurus 431 or 441 stainless. Out of production for at least 15 years, but they occasionally pop up on GB. they are the size and weight of a K frame Smith with a 5 round cyl. I load 15 gr. of 2400 behind a 240 cast Keith bullet that is good for about 1050fps. Not a squib load, but very accurate.

Never heard of those but will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by Limapapa

Never heard of those but will look into it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've owned a bunch of DA .44 Specials; Rossi 720s, S&W 24s, 624s, 696s, and Taurus 441s.

I actually like the Rossi 720 better than the S&W 696, so I have 4 of them cached away in different places. The 24s and 624s with 4", 5", and 6.5" barrels are all comfortable to shoot, but physically larger than necessary. The Taurus 441s are OK, I like the 4" stainless better than the 6", as the 6" is noticeably muzzle heavy.

My to date favorite .44 Special revolver is the S&W 329PD shooting .44 Special level reloads in .44 Magnum cases. The .44 Special that I carry the most is a Rossi 720, usually carried with 2 loads of snake-shot and 3 240 grain hard lead SWCs.

EDIT: Rossi offered a larger "target" grip for the Rossi 515/518/720 revolvers that fits my hand better than the small grips that come with them. M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, AL, had them the last time that I needed a set. www.mmgunsmith.com
© 24hourcampfire