Home
Posted By: skitish Holster Break In - 10/14/17
Has anyone here ever used the wax paper method for holster break in? Every time I use this it amazes me how well it works. I just bought a Ruger Redhawk with 4.2" barrel and a thumb break Santis leather holster. With the new holster it took two men and a boy to pull the pistol, I used the wax paper break in for a full day and the revolver draw is slick. I don't know who came up with this originally but I remember reading an article by Elmer Keith back in the early 80's describing various ways to break in a holster.

skitish
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Holster Break In - 10/14/17
I unload the pistol and wrap it in 4-5 layers of Saran Wrap. Then baptize the leather holster in a sink of very hot water, leaving in underwater for at least a minute. Shove the wrapped pistol in the holster as far as it will go and secure any retention devices. The set the holstered gun in the sun or near a heat vent, depending on the season. A couple of hours and the holster will take a set. Remove pistol, allow holster to finish drying and spray the inside with silicone.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
Interesting... I reckon the maker can put whatever conditions on the warranty they like.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
I just wear them in...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
If'n I got to go to kitchen wrap and deep sinks I might as well be a cook.

Had one real snug one recently, put the gun in, snapped it, and let it sit for two weeks. Good to go. No water or kitchen wrap needed.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
Originally Posted by MOGC
I just wear them in...

See how easy it is.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Holster Break In - 10/15/17
Many custom holster makers, for some reason, simply build the things too tight. One of them demonstrated to me that if you take a 1/16" thickness of cardboard and place it on either side of an (unloaded) weapon and holster and remove the weapon several times, the holster 'breaks in" rather quickly.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Holster Break In - 10/16/17
I make leather holsters and I recommend the wax paper method. There's no need to leave the wrapped gun in the holster all day - just wrap it in wax paper, cram it in the holster, and then remove it. Do that about 4 or 5 times and you'll be good-to-go.
Posted By: deflave Re: Holster Break In - 10/16/17
Wax paper or dress sock if you have to break it in fast.

If you don't, then don't. Time will do it's thing.

Dave
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Holster Break In - 10/17/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If'n I got to go to kitchen wrap and deep sinks I might as well be a cook.

Had one real snug one recently, put the gun in, snapped it, and let it sit for two weeks. Good to go. No water or kitchen wrap needed.

THIS.
© 24hourcampfire