Home
Posted By: MarkinGA Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/13/17
With the recent thread here comparing 45 Auto and 10mm, plus a few I have seen recently on other sites, combined with a few more manufacturers now offering 10mm pistols, I wonder if the 10mm is gaining any in popularity? Certainly it will never get anywhere near the 9mm or 40 in popularity due to not riding in police holsters, but it seems to be gaining some as an outdoors/field option.

With S&W doing pretty well these days with their M&P line vs Glock, I wonder what the odds are they might venture into the 10mm once again. Something along the lines of a 10mm version of their M&P C.O.R.E (optic ready) variant with a 5" to 6" barrel on the larger 45 Auto sized frame would sell I believe. It would compete against the Glock Model 40 10mm and could be a decent carry piece for hiking, hunting, etc with decent power and good capacity on tap.

I could see buying one if such an option were offered.

Mark in GA
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
With the recent thread here comparing 45 Auto and 10mm, plus a few I have seen recently on other sites, combined with a few more manufacturers now offering 10mm pistols, I wonder if the 10mm is gaining any in popularity? Certainly it will never get anywhere near the 9mm or 40 in popularity due to not riding in police holsters, but it seems to be gaining some as an outdoors/field option.

With S&W doing pretty well these days with their M&P line vs Glock, I wonder what the odds are they might venture into the 10mm once again. Something along the lines of a 10mm version of their M&P C.O.R.E (optic ready) variant with a 5" to 6" barrel on the larger 45 Auto sized frame would sell I believe. It would compete against the Glock Model 40 10mm and could be a decent carry piece for hiking, hunting, etc with decent power and good capacity on tap.

I could see buying one if such an option were offered.

Mark in GA

That would be pretty cool. In the hottest loads, it would make a good semi-auto alternative to a revolver chambered in .45 LC or .44 Special for carry afield. Of course, it falls far short of the .41 or .44 Magnum in that role.
I'm probably looking for another 10mm. Had a Glock for awhile, didn't care a lot for it, would much prefer a 1911. Not as much power as a .44 revolver, but faster to use and OK for hogs and smaller stuff. If I remember correctly, recoil was minimal - even my wife enjoyed shooting the Glock. Right now if I reach for a semi-auto for woods-walking or other chores, I end up with a .45 ACP (which ain't bad!).

Mike Holmes
Posted By: MOGC Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/13/17
The Glock 10's are pretty darned popular. I'd love an M&P 10mm! I currently have a G20 and while I like it, I'm an M&P guy for the most part. M&P TEN would be that cats azz.
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/13/17
[quote=The_Real_HawkeyeThat would be pretty cool. In the hottest loads, it would make a good semi-auto alternative to a revolver chambered in .45 LC or .44 Special for carry afield. Of course, it falls far short of the .41 or .44 Magnum in that role. [/quote]

This is exactly the way I see it. The 10mm is not equal to a 44 in the field, but many areas don't really require a full power 44 either. In my case I have carried a 4" 629 for years loaded with medium level handload (240-255 cast at 1050 from 4"). I have 357's but with the swamp hogs here, I frankly prefer a larger caliber. A 10mm is kind of in the middle and could in theory cover this same ground with a lighter package and greater capacity.

Mark in GA
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I'm probably looking for another 10mm. Had a Glock for awhile, didn't care a lot for it, would much prefer a 1911. Not as much power as a .44 revolver, but faster to use and OK for hogs and smaller stuff. If I remember correctly, recoil was minimal - even my wife enjoyed shooting the Glock. Right now if I reach for a semi-auto for woods-walking or other chores, I end up with a .45 ACP (which ain't bad!).

Mike Holmes

If I was buying a new 1911 in 10mm, I'd take a long hard look at the new Ruger 1911 in 10mm.

I've had a Kimber custom shop Match 1911 in 10mm and a Glock 20 for years and love them both. I use the Kimber for hog hunting at the Ranch, and my GLOCK 20 for carry while bow hunting in bear country in the lower 48.
As a matter of fact, I AM looking at the Ruger real hard (Also the 10mm Sig, since I have a Sig .45 ACP I like a lot!).

Mike Holmes
Posted By: deflave Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/14/17
What load are you guys using that you love so much over the .40 S&W?

Dave
Posted By: MOGC Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/14/17
Underwood Ammo 200 gr. XTP @ 1,250 fps or a 220 hard cast at 1,200 fps.
I was just looking at S&Ws website and got all excited when I DID see M&P10 listed, it turns out it's an M&P rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Oh well. I think an M&P pistol in 10mm would be dandy, but I doubt we'll ever see it.
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/14/17
With the 2.0 M&P version having a stiffer reinforced frame vs the first generation, I keep hoping that we will eventually see a polymer 10mm from S&W. I enjoy my existing M&P's (9,40, and 45 all fullsize, plus 2 Shield 9's) but I would for sure jump at a 10mm. Especially in a long slide adjustable sight format.

Mark in GA
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/14/17
[

Sig sauer is good ammo at about these same specs.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/14/17
I'd be all over a 10mm M&P 2.0. Please, oh please!
I might have to have one myself.
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Travis, I've got a Handload with a max load of AA-9 pushing a 200 gr. XTP HP at 1300 fps. And I like the Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast bullet at 1200 fps if I'm killing big hogs at the Ranch or bow hunting in bear country.

Do you still have your 10mm S&W Night Guard ?
Posted By: deflave Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/15/17

I can see the love for that.

Dave
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Dave

Travis, I've got a Handload with a max load of AA-9 pushing a 200 gr. XTP HP at 1300 fps. And I like the Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast bullet at 1200 fps if I'm killing big hogs at the Ranch or bow hunting in bear country.

That's one helluva a reload.

Yep, still got it. My Delta too.

Travis
Posted By: 79S Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/15/17
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Dave

That's one helluva a reload.

Yep, still got it. My Delta too.

Travis

I picked u a kkm barrel and #20 spring for my G20 from what I read longshot powder is the powder to use. I picked up some 200gr hardcast to shoot out of it..
You're gonna hurt yourself.

Dave
Posted By: 79S Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/15/17
You're gonna hurt yourself.

Dave

Nah I don’t even measure the powder charge. I will be shooting 1700 fps with no problems.. on a side note nosler has 200gr jhp seconds on sale.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/15/17

I can see the love for that.

Dave

I shot a dinky whitetail buck with the XTP load. Did an excellent job on an a 30 yard quartering away double lung shot. After ten yards of stumbling and trying to stay upright the buck tipped over. The hardcast are for hogs, bear or the rare mountain lion we have in these parts. I walked up on a big boar hog in the dark a couple weeks while bowhunting. I use a climbing treestand and had that on my back, bow in one hand, was 3/4 mile from the truck on a narrow game trail through an old clear cut and came around a corner when the headlamp caught eyes on the trail about twenty yards ahead. Big hog heard me coming but couldn't wind me so I guess he just waited to see what I was. Anyway, the light hit him and we had a stand off on the trail. I shifted the bow to the ground and slid the G20 out of the Alaskan Guides chest holster. The boar spun and headed up the trail and I could hear him busting brush moving off the ridge. The G20 is a handy thing for me. Kinda nice when you're deboning and quartering a deer by headlamp in the national forest to have it tucked away in that chest holster.
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/17/17
Not sure about putting much faith in rumors, but there is a rumor floating on the Smith & Wesson Forum about a 10mm M&P possibly being in the testing stages at S&W. Wonder if its true and if so, if it may get announced at SHOT show.

Mark in GA
I will totally buy one if they release it.
I may be way off course here.

Were there not a bunch of problems with police issue 357 Sig M&P's?

If so, is that platform even close to 10mm compatible?
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 10mm ? - 11/20/17
Those would have been on the Gen 1 frame in the 9/40 size. The 2.0 frame has more steel in the rails and also they would be using the larger 45 sized frame and slide if they did make one I imagine.

Mark in GA
© 24hourcampfire