Home
The Big Hitters of Handgun Hunting

The initial shots evidently didn’t get it done, much to the chagrin of our guide who had a look of disbelief on his face as he muttered something incoherent under his breath. If we let the bull stiffen up a while we would more than likely find him lifeless inside a nearby stand of trees, which would have been the prudent approach. Our guide was contemplating (maybe even dreading) the follow-up when he realized that I, of more exuberance than brains, had gone headlong into the stand of trees just beyond the high grass in hot pursuit of the wounded 1,600-pound water buffalo—the one that had parted the brush like a slate-gray locomotive with horns.

That damn stand of trees. My hunting partner in this venture, Jack Huntington, showing much more restraint than me, had paused to gather himself before taking the plunge into the darkness ahead. He snapped out of his reverie as my hasty pursuit of the fleeing bovine prompted him to act, not knowing what was unfolding in the shadows.

My chase wasn’t logical, but I got caught up in the moment. Hey, I had started this and, by God, one way or another I was going to finish it. Would the buffalo make a stand? I was about to find out.

I burst through the first layer of scrub, moving at a clipped pace around the impenetrable stuff while my eyes tried to adjust to the rapidly fading light. I didn’t go far before I spotted the old warrior. No, he wasn’t running away anymore. He was stiffly standing there facing me, clearly prepared for this inevitable clash. His labored breath and dull, black eyes emanated sheer contempt. If only looks could kill.

I didn’t give him a chance to run me down before I hit him with 400 grains of attitude correction from my big revolver at the point of his shoulder. He shuddered, and just to my left Jack let 425 grains fly into the chest of the bull. (It was good to see Jack abandon prudence and come to my aid!) We both unloaded what remained in our five-shot revolvers into the dying bovine as it crashed to the Texas earth. And then it was time to get the carcass over to the skinning shed to see what kind of damage our bullets had done.

Size Matters

Jack Huntington and I used revolvers chambered for the .500 JRH on that outing, a cartridge he developed that is available in loaded form from Buffalo Bore Ammunition. Magnum Research manufactures production revolvers for this cartridge. In essence it is a .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum that has been cut down from 1.6 to 1.4 inches and comfortably slings 440-grain bullets at more than 1400 fps.

In the realm of hunting really large animals with a handgun, the old cliché “bigger is better” does hold true. This assertion comes with a number of caveats attached, which we will address.

Loaded properly (this is caveat No. 1), a big-bore revolver offers penetration in surplus: big holes result from big bullets by default. So, bigger is better on a big animal as long as it doesn’t compromise the shooter’s ability to direct the bullet accurately.

Let us define “big” as it pertains to this discussion: we are talking about animals that routinely tip the scales at 1,000 pounds-plus. Examples include moose, American bison, brown bear, water buffalo, Cape buffalo and several other African game animals. Bigger is better particularly when one factors in the inherent limitations of the revolver as a hunting platform. The revolver doesn’t have a high velocity potential, so we have to rely on and exploit all of the trickery available to us.

Here, trickery is defined as:

Large bullet diameter—in this context .40 caliber and up; keep in mind .30 caliber is accepted worldwide for large game, and .375 is a minimum in many African nations for dangerous game. The .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum, etc., are all examples of big-bore cartridges capable of cleanly taking the largest of game.
Heavy weight-for-caliber bullets—momentum is a byproduct of heavy bullet weight.
Bullet nose profile/shape—expansion is not necessary when the bullet comes “pre-expanded”: a wide, flat meplat (nose) creates a larger wound channel than the bullet diameter would lead you to believe and also delivers uncompromisingly stable, straight-line penetration

.Don't Load Them Like Rifles

Let me put this up front: Attempts to turn revolvers into rifles by loading light bullets on top of maximum powder charges usually fall short on big game—not a situation you want to find yourself in when hunting any animal capable of bringing a fight to you. Handguns do not have the necessary physical attributes of a rifle to achieve rifle-like velocities; therefore, they cannot be loaded the way a rifle is loaded. We need to approach terminal ballistics a bit differently.

With the advent of quality bonded and monometal expanding and solid bullet designs, rifle calibers that were once deemed inadequate became real, live, viable big-game cartridges overnight. But bigger is still better with regards to handguns. Revolver cartridges have also improved with quality bullets, but the difference is in the dynamics. Whereas smaller, much higher-velocity projectiles from rifles benefit from expansion, revolver bullets, held to more subdued speeds by design parameters, benefit from straight and deep penetration—no expansion necessary, thank you very much. With the proper bullet, the big-bore revolver is already making a big hole, but the correct nose profile will ensure that big hole is also a deep hole.

There are basically two types of bullets in use by handgun hunters: those that expand and those that do not by design. To further break this down, when we talk about expanding bullets we are usually referring to jacketed soft-nose or hollow-point bullets, or monometal expanding bullets. Non-expanding bullets are hardcast lead solids, as well as a number of high-quality jacketed and monometal bullets designed for deep penetration.

Hardcast bullets derive their name from the composition of the alloy as well as the hardening process they are subjected to (water-quenching or heat-treating) after casting, which enables them to maintain their shape even when striking hard objects like bones. Some jacketed and monometal non-expanding bullets are more resistant to deformation than even a hardened lead bullet, and are better able to withstand high velocities and impacts with hard surfaces.

There are many jacketed and monometal expanding bullets available to the handloader that are also offered in factory-loaded ammunition in popular handgun calibers. Of particular quality are the Swift A-Frame and Barnes XPB. The preference is a stoutly constructed bullet that will not over-expand upon striking game. While violent expansion works well on thin-skinned game such as deer, you don’t want a bullet that expands at the expense of penetration. The net effect is like a parachute that rapidly slows the bullet and substantially inhibits penetration. I think many of us agree that two holes are better than one. There is a very fine line between enough expansion and adequate penetration.

The most reliable performers in the non-expanding category are flat-nosed jacketed bullets like the Rintoul Enterprises Kodiak Punch and Barnes Buster, and the monometal Cutting Edge Handgun Solid and Lehigh Shredder Tip Solid. Each has a blunt meplat that crushes and tears tissue, creating a much larger wound channel than the original diameter of the bullet.

Flat-nosed hardcast bullets can also be used, though in my humble opinion they do not offer the absolute reliability of non-expanding jacketed and monometal bullets. Their performance on big animals depends on a number of factors such as alloy and hardness. Hardcast bullets are popular with savvy handgun hunters and provide an economical alternative with typically adequate penetrative ability due to their resistance to expansion. However, there are limitations to the bullet material, which can be exceeded depending on impact velocity and what the bullet contacts along its path through an animal, such as heavy bone. Keeping velocities at moderate levels helps maintain the integrity of the bullet nose, aiding in penetration.

But all flat-nosed bullets aren’t created equally. Many feature a rather narrow meplat. A wide meplat not only creates a larger wound channel, but also helps the bullet stabilize in flesh and thereby penetrate in a straight line. What is a large meplat? We have found that between 75 and 80 percent of the overall bullet diameter seems to be optimal. With a meplat that’s less than 70 percent of the bullet diameter, wound channel size is compromised, as is stability. A small or narrow meplat can cause a flat-nosed bullet to tumble like a round-nose in flesh or to veer off course, not only inhibiting penetration but also decreasing the likelihood of the projectile going straight through the vitals.

When choosing a bullet or factory load, bullet weight must be taken into consideration. Light-for-caliber bullets, while able to achieve impressive velocities, do not possess the momentum or penetrative ability of heavy-for-caliber bullets, all else being equal. Bullets for big animals should follow these guidelines: .41 Magnum, 230-265 grains; .44 Magnum, 265-340 grains; .45 Colt/.454 Casull/.460 Smith & Wesson Magnum, 300-400 grains; .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh, 400 grains plus; .500 S&W Magnum/.500 Linebaugh/.500 JRH/.500 Wyoming Express, 440 grains plus

Forget Muzzle Energy

With the proper bullet and load, a big-bore revolver on big game doesn’t give up much, if anything, to accepted big-game rifles, except range. Paper ballistics be damned. There, I said it. Holes through vitals kill animals, and muzzle energy sells ammunition. Muzzle energy is a poor measure of lethality and is useful only to marketing experts.

“Heresy!” you say. “How can this be when rifle rounds are so much more powerful? Surely a big-game rifle is more effective on large animals.” I will answer that with “yes” and “no.” Before you string me up, listen to the voice of reason here.

In recent years, rifle hunters have embraced the concept of the flat-nosed solid for uncompromising straight-line penetration in big and dangerous game—something handgun hunters have known for decades. We typically get more than enough penetration to kill even the largest of animals with big-bore handguns by using these flat-nosed bullets at considerably lower velocities than, let’s say, a .458 Lott. While this rifle round will certainly impart a measured quantity of shock to the animal, holes through vitals kill. Also, regarding the mythical “stopping power,” the only reliable stop is a hit to the central nervous system, which depends more on shot placement than anything else, assuming the bullet penetrates straight and deep enough.

Is a big-bore revolver big-game medicine? Emphatically yes, in the right hands. Keep in mind the amount of dedication to the craft required of the handgun hunter is exponentially greater than that of the rifle hunter. That is just a cold, hard fact. However, when a properly loaded big-bore revolver is in skilled hands, no wild bovine or any other animal is safe. As long as shot placement is true, and the caliber/bullet/load combination exhibits enough penetration to get to and through the vitals, a dead animal will ensue. Bigger is better, as long as you do your part.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/11/11/the-big-hitters-of-handgun-hunting/
A good article, I love the big hand cannons and have several examples that I shoot regularly.

John,

thank you for posting this article--i really enjoyed reading it.

in looking at big bore handguns, it is a real chore to get folks to look past muzzle energy figures, and focus on something else. in the realm of handguns, i find the "Taylor KO Formula" a better indicator, though in the end it is only a numerical index to compare one figure to another--like test scores in college. it does not take into account bullet shape, such as meplat, etc.

so many folks seem to despise the Formula, but if one looks at only the arrival of a number to compare by contrast--it has some merit.

digressing some from the thrust of the article, i even go one step further, committing the ultimate "heresy", by applying the Formula to modern bonded "expanding bullets" that remain in essentially one piece, to simply arrive at a comparative number.

however, i treat them as just their normal diameter when doing the calculations. ie., a .45 ACP is calculated using the number .451, regardless of how it might expand--if it even does so, as there is never a certain guarantee if it will expand, or how much diameter will increase if it does. beyond it's beginning diameter, it is an unknown variable. in shooting various pills--if they expand, they do so with quite varying diameters. example; the Speer .45 230 gr Gold Dot expands to about .67, whereas the Federal .45 230 gr HST often expands to about .84, a huge difference.

i was surprised awhile back when someone asked Rob Leatham what pill he uses for concealed carry. a standard 230 gr FMJ in his .45 ACP was his reply...while not the ideal nose shape, his reply goes somewhat back to traditional thinking--"Old School" as he calls it.

a short piece on Taylor KO, which most are familiar with i'm sure:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=173
Nice of you to post Max's fine write up.

It looks like he's doing well and, of course, walking the walk.
Refreshing.

I have my own (friendly) contention over this excessive meplat hulabaloo. Put simply, I'd take a 44 Keith over a .358 LBT OWC, despite its "superior" meplat any day of the week, assuming similar SD and speed. Throw the .411429 in there too. Drive the .358 even faster if you need it. Seen the holes in the critters myself.

Ive done the LBT widest and fattest at fast and flattest, bought the T-shirt and all the moulds.

But enough of my gibberish, I emphatically agree, bigger is better in the handgun world, assuming we do our part
Amen! memtb

I enjoy reading Max's writings. He's experienced and well thought out. He brings BTDT to all his writings.
Jay-Dub,

I really enjoyed that article. Thanks for posting.

I was thinking of venturing past the big Foe-Foe and am wanting one of the BFR's. Do you vote 50 AE or the .480?

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Jay-Dub,

I was thinking of venturing past the big Foe-Foe and am wanting one of the BFR's. Do you vote 50 AE or the .480?

Travis

Either will do well, but if you want a 50 my vote goes to the 500 JRH.
I fear my vagina can't handle that.

(Said no woman ever)

But seriously. The JRH seems a bit ridiculous.

Travis
Jay-Dub,

Travis

The BFR's are nice guns. I've had 2 475 Linebaughs. No experience with the 50's. You can shoot 480's in the 475, but I ended up with the Ruger Bisley 480. It's a good caliber as well. Not as expensive either.
I fear my vagina can't handle that.

(Said no woman ever)

But seriously. The JRH seems a bit ridiculous.

Travis

The rimmed case is much more sensible and it can be loaded down. The new grip frame handles recoil extremely well. A 400 grain bullet at 1000 fps is very shootable and effective.
Hmmmm.... Ok. I shall contemplate.

Thank you.

Travis
480 is my favorite for a practical shootable big bore. If you can handle a 44, you can move up to the 480 pushing 400's @ 1200 fps.
Jay Dub,

What are the advantages of the JRH over the Linebaugh? Is brass easy to find?

Travis
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
480 is my favorite for a practical shootable big bore. If you can handle a 44, you can move up to the 480 pushing 400's @ 1200 fps.

That's what I've always wanted but JWP is cyber-talking me into something more UBER.

Travis
Jay Dub,

Travis

Bullet selection if you care to shoot jacketed I suppose. I recently sold my Bowen 500 L so have loads of brass, dies and bullets o=if needed. wink I still have two 475 L's. The one in Idaho is a 5 1/2" low budget custom Ruger Bisley. The one here in Texas is a tweaked 5 1/2" BFR. The latter is a heavier piece and shoots extremely well. For the money, today, I would opt for a BFR 475 L.

That's what I've always wanted but JWP is cyber-talking me into something more UBER.

Travis

Bigger diameter, makes a heavier hitter. The 480 with a 400 grain is no more shootable than a 500 JRH shooting the same weight bullet at the same speed. In fact I know a first time handgunhunter that bought the 500 JRH and loads Fromm 1000 to qwooo fps and just loves the thing.

The 475 or 480 is are much heavier hitters than a 44, but make no mistake a 500 hits even harder. The 500 JRH is a very versatile round for sure and certain.
Would I just cut down and make my own brass?

Travis
Originally Posted by EdM
Jay Dub,

Travis

Bullet selection if you care to shoot jacketed I suppose. I recently sold my Bowen 500 L so have loads of brass, dies and bullets o=if needed. wink I still have two 475 L's. The one in Idaho is a 5 1/2" low budget custom Ruger Bisley. The one here in Texas is a tweaked 5 1/2" BFR. The latter is a heavier piece and shoots extremely well. For the money, today, I would opt for a BFR 475 L.

I like the BFR's because they seem like more of a turn key factory gun for something like this.

Are you selling your BFR or is that one of your keepers?

Travis

Travis

That is certainly possible, but loaded Ammo and properly head stamped brass is available.

Travis

What could be more "UBER" than a .480 Ruger? The Bisley is a nice package in 480 at an affordable price.

BTW: I have a BFR .50AE and it's a PITA to load, meaning to get a firm enough taper crimp on the bullet so that they don't "jump" from recoil. Someone once suggested using superglue to assist in bullet adherence...nonsense, who wants to get into that much minutiae to reload? One of these days, my BFR is going to make the trip back to Magnum Research for a .500 JRH cylinder.

Good luck on your choice.

480 Ruger brass is available through Starline, so no reason to cut them down.
Originally Posted by desertoakie
[quote=458 Lott]480 is my favorite for a practical shootable big bore. If you can handle a 44, you can move up to the 480 pushing 400's @ 1200 fps.

What could be more "UBER" than a .480 Ruger? The Bisley is a nice package in 480 at an affordable price.

BTW: I have a BFR .50AE and it's a PITA to load, meaning to get a firm enough taper crimp on the bullet so that they don't "jump" from recoil. Someone once suggested using superglue to assist in bullet adherence...nonsense, who wants to get into that much minutiae to reload? One of these days, my BFR is going to make the trip back to Magnum Research for a .500 JRH cylinder.

Excellent point. I don't even carry 454's anymore for the same reason. I know of two different people whose gun tied up while shooting a grizzly that was coming for them. Stick with the 480 IMHO>
Originally Posted by jwp475

Travis

That is certainly possible, but loaded Ammo and properly head stamped brass is available.

From who? I couldn't find any brass from Starline or Hornady.

Travis

Travis

Interesting. Thanks.

Travis
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Sorry for the jumping around but I was referring to the 500 JRH when I wrote that. My understanding is that it's a sawed off .500 S&W.

Travis

Travis

From who? I couldn't find any brass from Starline or Hornady.

Travis

Starline has made all of the 500 JRH brass to date. Buffalo Bore is presently producing Ammo and selling brass.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Sorry for the jumping around but I was referring to the 500 JRH when I wrote that. My understanding is that it's a sawed off .500 S&W.

Travis

The 500 JRH is the S&W case shortened to 1.4”
I dont know why the 50AE would be a pain to reload or any different than a 45 ACP in a revolver; I suppose its a smaller diameter jacketed design creating the promblem along with a taper crimp.

A snug throat fit caster with a nice deep cannelure ought to fix the crimp issues, especially in a wheelgun. A roll, profile or a LEE Factory crimp die should work, while still allowing headspace off of the case mouth, especially if the bullet is snug in the throat. Taper crimps should too.
What's your vote, HawkI?

Dave
I vote 50 AE.

I detest trimming and like things that aren't supposed to work. Plus I don't use jacketed bullets which negates some of the issues the AE may be succeptable to.

BFR makes UBER guns. They're basically a refined Ruger but they look pretty utilitarian. The new 5 shot Rugers are a lot better put together guns than their six shooters.
Plus, you already know someone with a .50 cal bullet mould.

This is about BIGGER. The 480 is bigger than the 45 Colt, but 50s are a lot bigger.

[bleep], I might have to get one.....
Id go with the 50, just because. Just think of the bragging rights LOL.
Originally Posted by HawkI
I dont know why the 50AE would be a pain to reload or any different than a 45 ACP in a revolver; I suppose its a smaller diameter jacketed design creating the promblem along with a taper crimp.

A snug throat fit caster with a nice deep cannelure ought to fix the crimp issues, especially in a wheelgun. A roll, profile or a LEE Factory crimp die should work, while still allowing headspace off of the case mouth, especially if the bullet is snug in the throat. Taper crimps should too.

Have you loaded .50AE for a revolver? I have, and I'd rather ditch the 50AE and have a cylinder fitted by Magnum Research for .500 JRH, a much better chambering IMHO as you can ROLL crimp the chit out of it and not worry about head-spacing. YMMV.
Oh, and as to why loading 50AE would be different than 45ACP in a revolver? The recoil from the 50AE is much greater than a 45ACP, and the momentum of the recoil tends to allow the unfired bullets in the cylinder to move forward. I've never had this problem with 45ACP out of a Smith model 25 or Ruger Blackhawk, Also, the 50AE is pretty much limited to 300-325 grain bullets, which is kinda lame if you ask me, when with the 500 JRH you can load up over 500 grain bullets.

Have you loaded .50AE for a revolver? I have, and I'd rather ditch the 50AE and have a cylinder fitted by Magnum Research for .500 JRH, a much better chambering IMHO as you can ROLL crimp the chit out of it and not worry about head-spacing. YMMV.

I agree, I have no time for an auto loading 50 AE in a revolver.
When I got my 480 the 500 S&W and hence 500 JRH didn't exist. The only option for a 50 was the 500 Linebaugh which was a very expensive custom. I'm not sure which route I'd go today with an affordable 50 as an option.

The only concern I'd have is if you plan to push 400 gr and heavier bullets 1200 fps and the resulting recoil. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't shot my 480 and then a friends 475 linebaugh one after the other and chronoed both loads but when you jump from burning 21 gr of H-110 to 25 gr of H-110, recoil jumps dramatically and as I recall his 475 was only 50 fps faster. My 480 does have a 7 1/2" barrel and his 475 had a 5 1/2". Looking at some 500 JRH data, it burns ~28 gr of H-110 to push a 400 gr 1186 fps. For me the 475 linebaugh loads are too much recoil for me to shoot accurately. Sometimes less is more which is why I really like the 480, it's shootable.

That said, 17 gr of blue dot pushes 400's and 440's 1100 fps in the 500 JRH which is awfully tempting.
When I got my 480 the 500 S&W and hence 500 JRH didn't exist. The only option for a 50 was the 500 Linebaugh which was a very expensive custom. I'm not sure which route I'd go today with an affordable 50 as an option.

The only concern I'd have is if you plan to push 400 gr and heavier bullets 1200 fps and the resulting recoil. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't shot my 480 and then a friends 475 linebaugh one after the other and chronoed both loads but when you jump from burning 21 gr of H-110 to 25 gr of H-110, recoil jumps dramatically and as I recall his 475 was only 50 fps faster. My 480 does have a 7 1/2" barrel and his 475 had a 5 1/2". Looking at some 500 JRH data, it burns ~28 gr of H-110 to push a 400 gr 1186 fps. For me the 475 linebaugh loads are too much recoil for me to shoot accurately. Sometimes less is more which is why I really like the 480, it's shootable.

That said, 17 gr of blue dot pushes 400's and 440's 1100 fps in the 500 JRH which is awfully tempting.

Wer the 480 and the 475 in the same style revolvers? I’d say the added recoil came from the added 50 fps not a mere 4 grains of powder. In my experience it is a wash with the sam3 bullet at the same speed. I know from experience that the 475 and 500 JRH are easy shooters at reduce velocity.

The 500 AE is a nominal 1.285” case that was designed around 300 to 325 grain bullets which are lighter than I want in a50 cal revolver.
Oh, and as to why loading 50AE would be different than 45ACP in a revolver? The recoil from the 50AE is much greater than a 45ACP, and the momentum of the recoil tends to allow the unfired bullets in the cylinder to move forward. I've never had this problem with 45ACP out of a Smith model 25 or Ruger Blackhawk, Also, the 50AE is pretty much limited to 300-325 grain bullets, which is kinda lame if you ask me, when with the 500 JRH you can load up over 500 grain bullets.

Just going by my experience with the 45 ACP, where Ive shot 280 cast bullets and roll crimp them in the crimp groove. In a 1911 this obviously doesnt work.
I dont see where 300-325s would be a limit in a revolver, so long as the twist is there to spin them. Im not saying it would be ideal for 500s, but theres no reason it cant be fed heavier bullets out to the cylinder face. From what I see, its the same cylinder as the JRH?
That's a tough choice between the 480 ad the 500 JRH. I have a 480 and 500 Linebaugh and like both of them. The 480 is bit easier to shoot on the top end but I don't run either up there very often. My current carry load in the 480 is a 400 grain SWC over enough 2400 to get to 1050-1100 fps. The 500 is a fairly recent addition and I haven't settled on a favorite load yet but have molds for a 440 SWC, 500 grain WLN and and 525 grain WFN (M-P mold that can do HP or solid bullets).

The 500 JRH can match the 500LB in bullet weights. If you want to go big, the JRH has a lot to offer. It can go mild to wild just like the 500LB. A 525 grain at 1000 fps will be very shootable and should penetrate the full length of most NA big game. The 440-450 grain bullets will give you a little more velocity (1100-1200) for the same level of recoil.

Buffalo bore is the only supplier of brass I know of but as you know, you can cut down readily available 500 S&W. I'm not sure but I think BFR will build a 500 Linebaugh in the same model as the JRH and brass is readily available for it.

Of course there are no flies on the 480. I love mine. I really hadn't considered one until I bought a bunch of brass really cheap thinking I'd turn it at the next gun show for little profit. It wasn't more than a couple weeks later I found a Bisley at Cabelas with a huge scratch and dent discount. It had a little swirl near the muzzle that hadn't been polished out and they discounted it heavily. I have a few molds for it, at 380 WFNGC, 400 grain SWC, Lee 400 grain FP, 420 grain M-P HP/solid, and an LBT 420 WLN.

I cannot speak personally to the performance of the 480 or 500's on game but their records are well established. My big game kills with a handgun are limited to a cougar and a whitetail doe with a 41 magnum. I can say both the 480 and the 500LB lend a sense of comfort when I am afield here in Alaska.

If I was starting all over again and wanted one big bore revolver and needed to keep the cost down, the Ruger Bisley 480 would be my choice. Going semi-custom it would be either a 500 JRH or LB in the BFR. Full custom would be a Linebaugh, Huntington, Bowen or Clements Bisley in 500 LB.
The BFR in 500 JRH isn’t a “semi Custom” since it is a standard clambering same as the 44 mag, 454, 475/480, etc and thy all cost the same amount.
One can get one built through the custom shop if wanted and I guess that could be considered a “semi custom”.
My mistake. I thought, in error obviously, the 500 JRH was one of their custom shop offerings. Thanks for the correction.
John Taffin has data for a 385 LBT in 50AE clocking 1,325-1,450 in a 7.5 FA 83. He claims to have loads in the 83 with the same bullet at close to 1,600. I'd bet the case would run a 400-440 in the 1,200 area in a BFR 50 AE with nose foreward without too much powder gymnastics above SAAMI.

Can't imagine the 50AE doing the same at less pressure than a 480 Ruger with same weight bullets, since a BFR/Freedom 83 have been platforms that house much more aggressive cartridges, bore and pressure wise and both cases are the same length.

Its like the boring but true comparison of 44 Mag to 45 Colt, in this case the bore increase being a bit more substantial and pressure range less.

The non custom 5.5 JRH barrel IS a big plus, but a 6.5 isn't out of line.

Maybe the 50 AE is a crimp jumping liability, but I didnt see any indication of anyone using a cannelured (cast) bullet conjoined with mentioning a roll crimp, profile crimp or LEE FCD, despite the fact the taper crimp was (fairly recently) historically a product of consistent feeding in autos with smooth sided jacketed bullets and cast wadcutters, NOT as a solution to lacking headspace.....yes, auto reloading dies for decades were ROLL crimp dies. Ross Seyfried's own championship 45 ACP loads specified a "slight ROLL crimp".
A tight fitting bullet to the throat also helps eliminate any headspace issue, again something a deep seated (auto magazine length), undersized jacketed bullet is more succeptable to in a wheelgun, but rarely encountered.

"Case mouth" headspacing is so dire 90% of 45 ACP reloaders trim cases about as often as the Pope picks up a hooker in broad daylight...

I’ve used one of Taffins 454 loads that required the powder to be heavily compressed and the Bullets in the cylinder would jump crimp on the first shot, no matter the amount of neck tension or crimp that was applied.
Good morning and Thanksgiving to you JP!

I imagine you MADE the 454 loads to work and function in your gun?

Im just pointing out that this stuff should be able to work out. We fired a couple hundred ROLL crimped 45 Supers, cast bullet loads just Sunday in a 25 Smith and an AR. Bullet 453423 and 453424. Have been doing so for several years along with 260 and 280 LFNs. No moon clips in the wheelgun.
Good morning and Thanksgiving to you JP!

I imagine you MADE the 454 loads to work and function in your gun?

Im just pointing out that this stuff should be able to work out. We fired a couple hundred ROLL crimped 45 Supers, cast bullet loads just Sunday in a 25 Smith and an AR. Bullet 453423 and 453424. Have been doing so for several years along with 260 and 280 LFNs. No moon clips in the wheelgun.

Yeah we made them work by backing off of the powder charge. This was back in the 80’s and I called FA to get their advice and they told me there was no way told hold that bullet on top of that much H-110.

I don’t get the fasination with rimless cases in a single action revolver.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! 🦃🍁🍽
[quote=HawkI]

I don’t get the fasination with rimless cases in a single action revolver.

Neither do I.
Party poopers...
The 50's seem to make the most sense if you want to sling a 400gr bullet. But the logistics make me lean toward a .475 right now.

Buffalo Bore is the only place that seems to have JRH brass and it's expensive as fugk.

Travis

Cutting down S&W cases is an option

Please don't underestimate my laziness.

Would you laugh at me if I had the .475?

Travis

Please don't underestimate my laziness.

Would you laugh at me if I had the .475?

Travis

475’s are very good IMHO
Yeah but then I'd have to admit yours is bigger than mine.

Dave
Yeah but then I'd have to admit yours is bigger than mine.

Dave

Well that goes without saying.
The 50 ae made some sense before the 500 S&W brass was available to cut down, but really doesn't make any sense today.

The 475's easily launch up to 440 gr, I got a bit carried away with a custom mold and ended up with a 460 gr WFN that my 480 had no problem pushing 1100 fps.

[Linked Image]

If you just have to launch 500 gr, then the 50's come into their own.
The 50 ae made some sense before the 500 S&W brass was available to cut down, but really doesn't make any sense today.

The 475's easily launch up to 440 gr, I got a bit carried away with a custom mold and ended up with a 460 gr WFN that my 480 had no problem pushing 1100 fps.

[Linked Image]

If you just have to launch 500 gr, then the 50's come into their own.

The 50’s hit harder than a 475 this is easily seen at impact on big critters. No need for a 500 grain even in a 50 as I’ve shot through the shoulders and exited Asian buffalo with a 425 grain hard cast bullet.
I'm starting to feel the pull of "needing" a 500 JRH. Too bad Ruger doesn't make a 5 shot SRH or Redhawk as I'd really like a DA 500.
The 50's seem to make the most sense if you want to sling a 400gr bullet. But the logistics make me lean toward a .475 right now.

Buffalo Bore is the only place that seems to have JRH brass and it's expensive as fugk.

Travis

I am going with a 480 Bisley. I shot a friends and honestly its no more of a handfull than a hot loaded 45 colt or a 44 mag.
I'm starting to feel the pull of "needing" a 500 JRH. Too bad Ruger doesn't make a 5 shot SRH or Redhawk as I'd really like a DA 500.

find a redhawk or srh and send to jack huntington he built my 500 on a srh i love it.I hunt this gun more then my 475

Attached picture srh 500.jpg
Other than the “mass” of my X-Frame S&W, it’s a very enjoyable handgun! In the 460 it can be a very versatile handgun (cannon). Lightload 300 grain cast or jacketed for plinking, hard cast 400’s pushed fast (high sectional density for straight-line penetration) for large big game, and with creative handloading... can duplicate a 2 1/2”, 410 shotshell (full 1/2 ounce of shot). At relatively short range, the shotshell is pretty deadly on small game and snakes. Love my 460.... even more so while trailer/towed! grin memtb
Excellent article.

Edited to add:
I am a 475 and 480 fan. Though if, I ever stepped-up to a 1/2" caliber, it would be the 500 JRH. This cartridge seems the most practical .50 for me.
© 24hourcampfire