Home
Posted By: GunGeek 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/11/18
In 2018 I'm getting SOMETHING...Just don't have a clue what that something will be.

There are a couple of pistols I'm intrigued with, but they're basically brand new to the market, and I'll let those stew a bit before I buy. But I test drove a Beretta APX and there were things about it I really liked (ergonomics were amazing). I also took a CZ P-10 for a whirl, and it is an outstanding pistol as well; much to like there. But both are just too new to the marketplace for my tastes...I'll let others do the beta testing for me. I have the worst luck to begin with, no need to tempt fate by buying something un-proven.

I'm feeling the revolver calling this year though. I kinda want a target .32, but those are really hard to find these days. Maybe I'll settle on a target .38, something old school and cool like a Colt Officers Model Match, New Service Target, Service Master...something along those lines.

So what do you have in mind?
Probably gonna grab a SIG P365 when they start appearing.

In the mean time I've got a couple of revolvers that are and have been on the bucket list - S&W 17, S&W 18, S&W 57, and a H&R 999 to name a few, that I'll continue to peruse gun shops and gun shows for the 'right one.'
I’ve been thinking of picking up a Beretta 92, just because.
I need a 9mm of some flavor. The SIG p365 sounds right.
I am often tempted by the Atlas Titan but I would feel the imposter shooting it...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JOG Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/11/18
I thinking on a setup for running. I've tried a number of combinations and all have room for improvement. Plan A is a belly band and a compact pistol that I can rinse off in the kitchen sink and stash on top of the refrigerator. I had narrowed the pistol down to a Shield or M&P 2.0 Compact, with the deciding factor being capacity, until the Sig P365 entered the picture. I've ordered and returned two belly bands and I'm no closer than when I started.
I am cheap. I might pick up a used G23.
I have a Ruger Bisley 44 Mag in the pipeline from Davidson's. 7.5", blued model

I see it getting mostly midrange cast loads for target shooting near and far.
I just ordered a Cimarron P Jr. in 32-20/32 mag (has 2 cylinders) when it gets here the 32 mag cyl will get reamed to 327 FED
Just bought a Gen5 Glock 19. That ought to hold me for a bit.
Already traded into two K frames, a kinda ratty 15dash3 and really nice 17dash4. Who knows what's next. Always wanted a CZ75.
I'm thinking seriously about replacing my first generation LCP with the new type that has one'nem Glock triggers on it.
Going to end up buying a Colt from CDNN in the next few.
Already have a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super on the way. I plan on buying a Ruger Stainless Blackhawk 10mm/.40 S&W convertible in a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I also have plans to send David Clements a Ruger Bearcat for him to convert to .327 Federal! I am not sure if I will do it this year or next but I will send Alan Harton a .357 Colt New Frontier for conversion to 10mm/.38-40 convertible plus his magic. I am thinking 5 1/2 inch barrel with Turnbull color case hardening
What I'm planning on buying doesn't exist yet. Might buy other things in the meantime, but the plan is that if and when S&W brings out the M&P 2.0 in 10mm, I will be on that as quick as I can get one in my hands.
If the P365 feels right they will sell truckloads of them. Put me in that column.
No current plan to buy any handguns this year. I need to thin the herd and shoot what I have.
Posted By: RGK Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/11/18
SIG P210.
Bob
Posted By: johnw Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/11/18
If Colt ever answers the phone I might be in business.
Originally Posted by budman5
If the P365 feels right they will sell truckloads of them. Put me in that column.

I'm eager for one of those, too, but plan to wait at least one year for them to iron out any wrinkles. It will be on my 2019 list, though.
Nothing new on the line, but some good grips for some of my present pistols.. Gun Show this weekend so that could change..
I’ve got all I “need”. But I’ll probably add to my Redhawk collection.
Originally Posted by viking

Nothing wrong with that. Then pick up a 9mm conversion barrel and you have the best of both worlds.

Sig P320.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/11/18
Not sure about centerfire, however I will be picking up a Ruger 22/45 LITE.
I saw they're selling old Army 1911's to the public. I'd like one of those.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Nothing wrong with that. Then pick up a 9mm conversion barrel and you have the best of both worlds.

That's the plan Stan.

I got a G35, at the moment it's a 357 Sig loaded with Remington GS. That bi-otch barks, with the 5 inch barrel.

Doesn't do me any good to plan ahead. 1st of October last year I decided I had bought too many and I was going to wait till after the first of the year. Managed to keep it down to 10 that I bought. Feel awful about that. I usually don't know until I see a gun, that I need it. Hopefully that will be at a minimum this year. I need to be selling more than buying, but that plan hasn't worked out too well either. Just have to see what pops up, that I didn't know I needed. Probably another Ruger Speed Six, or something else Ruger. Going to the Idaho Gun show this weekend where there will be a lot of Ruger gun displays. Who knows what is going to tempt me. Taking a lot of good trade bait with me.
Posted By: RJM Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/12/18
Just bought a nice 1966 Ruger Bearcat yesterday...

[Linked Image]

Also on the list...a Ruger GP100 4" stainless .327 Federal and maybe a blue 5"...and a GP100 10mm when they get around to it...
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/12/18
If they wind up with a 5” 10mm, that’ll be a definite!
Originally Posted by NH K9

You mean like this?

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6739.html

smile
You see NH K9 people really lookout for you here at the Fire. grin
I'm thinking about a 1858 Remington....prolly a Pietta...seems like a fun project for not a lot of $
have a PMR30 coming this weekend.
After looking at Rugers link, I could go for a GP 100 10 shot 22lr
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/12/18
Originally Posted by budman5
You see NH K9 people really lookout for you here at the Fire. grin

Laffin’.......yeah

Pat knows I have a Sig filling that niche.

George
Went a bit crazy buying 1911s the last couple of years. Have been drooling over a Dan Wesson at a nearby shop, but their price was actually a bit higher than MSRP! Plus I have 45s, 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm. Therefore I am covered and need nothing.

So, new years resolution was no knew 1911s.

The I came across the same Dan Wesson at Bud's for almost $800 less than the local nuts!!

It was delivered yesterday. That was my shortest lived resolution ever. smile

New resolution; no new rifles this year....wait! Is that Sako at Optics Planet really only $1100!??!
Posted By: RDW Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/12/18
I am not planning on any new handguns but I would like to trick out the 22/45 Lite I bought before the election. It's fun with with the Spectre II and topped with a Fastfire III, but I still want a trigger, slingshot mod, mag mod and sear.

That one intrigues me as well. Got a 6” GP-100 .357 with the half lug barrel and a 5.5” .22 seems like a good companion to it.
Probably a Beretta 92 FS but I'm going to try a rental model if I can find one at an indoor range first. Also considering a Pietta 1851 Navy the next time Cabelas has a good sale on their black powder guns.
My 10 shot S&W 617 is simply my favorite handgun. I don't care what I'm taking to the range, the 617 is ALWAYS going with me!
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Also on the list...a Ruger GP100 4" stainless .327 Federal and maybe a blue 5"...and a GP100 10mm when they get around to it...

Well done sir!!

Those are SO great for teaching the young ones to shoot. Size and weight is just right, and they're just off the charts cool! A friend of mine took a stainless one and did a M&H Skull Crusher grip conversion; OMG it is awesome!

For the adults, the Bearcat is one AWESOME .22LR in a very small package. Great to throw in the pack.

I also like pocket .32 ACP's for the kids. Something the size of a PP, Beretta Puma, etc, is like an adult holding a full sized auto. My daughter at age 8 just straight went to work with my Astra 3000 in .32.
Posted By: semi Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/12/18
Sig P365 for me. Seems they figured out the impossible.
I sure do like the beveled edges on that P365 better than the blocky squared shape of most slides. I might've went with P24/7 though. Has a better ring to it.
And I don't care for the rail on the bottom. For me I'd take a smoother shape instead, and maybe a bit longer barrel and more taper towards the muzzle and then I'd say it was just right.

I've been casing those too. I like the 4.2" bbl model.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18
Wanting a full sized 45 for the nightstand and considering a HK or Sig. Twisted between a HK45, HK USP Tactical, and P220 Legion. All great no doubt but each day one seems to be the next favorite.
Posted By: RJM Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Well done sir!!

Those are SO great for teaching the young ones to shoot. Size and weight is just right, and they're just off the charts cool! A friend of mine took a stainless one and did a M&H Skull Crusher grip conversion; OMG it is awesome!

For the adults, the Bearcat is one AWESOME .22LR in a very small package. Great to throw in the pack.

I also like pocket .32 ACP's for the kids. Something the size of a PP, Beretta Puma, etc, is like an adult holding a full sized auto. My daughter at age 8 just straight went to work with my Astra 3000 in .32.

In 1966 I was 14 and doing some trapping. My parents ok'd me buying a handgun and I narrowed it down to a Beretta Mix .22 Short and a Ruger Bearcat...I made the wrong choice in getting the Mix...

Shot this one yesterday and it shoots dead to the sights at 10 yards... This one is about 98%...twhat looks like bluing wear on the barrel is just a reflection.

David Clements is now rechambering the all stainless ones into .327 Federal and even at $1300 a pop has a long line of people waiting...
Posted By: skeen Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18
A S&W 629 has been on my radar for a while. Also thinking I need another 1911, maybe a Dan Wesson.
Revolvers and target pistols.
Im ordering a Glock 19X as soon as they are available .
Glock 19 slide on a G17 frame .
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Im ordering a Glock 19X as soon as they are available .

If you're going to have a 17 size frame, why not have a 17 size slide, too? What's the appeal?
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by NH K9

You mean like this?

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6739.html

smile

Would like one of these. Been kicking it arou.d since they came out.
The same appeal as a commander sized 1911 vs a 5 inch . Im sure a lot of folks would love a 19 frame with the 17 slide .
Posted By: aalf Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18

All ready scored during the holidays.....

[Linked Image]
Glock 40 with rmr might happen but I don't know why.
The same appeal as a commander sized 1911 vs a 5 inch . Im sure a lot of folks would love a 19 frame with the 17 slide .

If you have either of those, you should just buy the other, then you'll have the maximum number of combinations from the top and bottom ends. If you have both, then you already have what they're going to introduce, you just haven't assembled it yet.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by RufusG

If you have either of those, you should just buy the other, then you'll have the maximum number of combinations from the top and bottom ends. If you have both, then you already have what they're going to introduce, you just haven't assembled it yet.

Not with the Glocks.

Until the Gen5 series pistols, the G19's and the G17's have had dimensional differences and were not completely interchangeable. Locking blocks and barrels are different between the models to be specific.
There are issues with slide overhang using a Gen5 G17 on a Gen5 G19 frame. Vice-versa is a no-go.

The 19X is unique! Will be great in duty holsters and OWB in vehicle carry.
Originally Posted by WTM45

Not with the Glocks.

Until the Gen5 series pistols, the G19's and the G17's have had dimensional differences and were not interchangeable.

OOps! I assumed perfection.

Get one of each, then switch them, LOL.

Good point. Duty carry OWB for the car is about the only justification I can think of.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Good point. Duty carry OWB for the car is about the only justification I can think of.

Gonna save my yea/nay comments on it until I can give one a test run. The balance and speed might be interesting in action. I do prefer the G17's grip size to the G19's, and that shorter slide might mean a little quicker draw and presentation. Will not know until hands on.
A J frame S&W 38 SP and a good pocket holster.

Expat

I had no handgun plans until a friend brought a very nice 1976 model 4" Ruger Security Six to the house and made me a decent price on it. Now to find some grips
Posted By: Fotis Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/14/18
No plans but this happened last week

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JOG Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/14/18

Not with the Glocks.

Until the Gen5 series pistols, the G19's and the G17's have had dimensional differences and were not interchangeable.

OOps! I assumed perfection.

And apparently don't use Gen5 magazines in a 19x - they don't seat.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/14/18
Originally Posted by JOG

And apparently don't use Gen5 magazines in a 19x - they don't seat.

The Gen5 G17 magazines have a baseplate that extends a little to the front. They will not work with the G19X frame. Gen2-Gen4 G17 magazines do.
Baseplates are a simple and cheap swap if required.
i'm planning a ww2 1911 or luger as my big 2018 purchase
Either that blued 5.5" redhawk that Ruger is releasing or a S&W model 29 4" classic. Both have their pros and cons, the Ruger will handle more woods ammo but the S&W is a classic and seems really nice.
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Probably gonna grab a SIG P365 when they start appearing.

In the mean time I've got a couple of revolvers that are and have been on the bucket list - S&W 17, S&W 18, S&W 57, and a H&R 999 to name a few, that I'll continue to peruse gun shops and gun shows for the 'right one.'

Scratched an itch this weekend and grabbed a S&W 25-5 (45LC) and a Uberti El Patron 1873 SAA (45LC). They weren't as high on the list as others, but they were right there in front of me, very reasonably priced.
Yep, bought a couple of Smiths this year. A 27-2 5" barrel in presentation box and a 19-3 NIB. Neither have a turn ring.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/23/18
No plans to buy any guns in 2018. But like many others here, plan are subject to change pending 'deals' found.
I'm selling a few, buying ammo and getting some instruction.
I will be a better shooter in 2018!!!
I want;
S&W Mountain gun, 45 Colt, maybe 44.
Or, 329.
Used M-10 or 15 X2 one for each daughter.
Something for the wife's purse, 9mm probably.

With the exception of the wife's gun, probably not gonna bup anything.
Posted By: EdM Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/23/18
Well I decided to finally get my CCL so hit a gunshow this past Saturday and came home with a S&W M&P9 M2.0 Compact. I will shoot it later this week but it sure feels right.
I've developed a real hankering for a 3" Kimber K6s...
Pretty set on a sig nightmare carry, slick looking gun.
First 1911
I had no plans but am considering a like new, maybe unfixed S&W M&P in 40 S&W for $275 and a Beretta 92A1 in like condition for $499. The Smith is priced better but it is the version with the safety which I am not crazy about. I could use it as my comition gun and keep my current one for carry. The Beretta would replace my current 92 as a bedside gun. I can swing both if I trade the 92 but I really shoot that gun well. Decisions, decisions...
sr 1911 in 10mm
Posted By: RGK Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/28/18
SIG P210
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
SIG P210
Bob

Original or reproduction?
Posted By: RGK Re: 2018 Handgun Buying Plans??? - 01/28/18
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by RGK
SIG P210
Bob

Gonna try one of the new American made ones. I've shot several of the older ones quite extensively. I want to compare the quality. So far, the new one looks pretty good.
Bob
Gonna get another Dan Wesson Valor. I’m leaning toward a Duty Treat Commander, my other is a Stainless Commander.
The one I handled at a local shop was very nicely put together; it sold in about ten minutes.
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by RGK
SIG P210
Bob

Gonna try one of the new American made ones. I've shot several of the older ones quite extensively. I want to compare the quality. So far, the new one looks pretty good.
Bob

Back in the 1990s, I was working part time in a gun shop, and we got a bunch of the real P210s in (retired police guns, wood grips, polished blued steel), and were selling them at a reasonable price. They were in nice shape. I was very tempted to get one, and have been sorry I didn't ever since.
I’ve been shooting a Colt Gunsite CCO. I like it enough that I’m going to pick up a Wiley Clapp CCO or Comander in 9 m/m. Hasbeen
........ Always wanted a CZ75.

Problem Solved.

[Linked Image]
gonna get a CZ P10C later in the yr. prolly will let CZ work out any bugs if there are any. I hate buying something the first yr of production.

No plans. But that didn't stop me from buying a used S&W Model 10 a couple weeks ago.
I'd really like a Glock 20 10mm but since that isn't legal for hunting in my state I will probably get a Ruger GP100 357.
S&W mountain gun in .44.
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I am often tempted by the Atlas Titan but I would feel the imposter shooting it...

[Linked Image]

In never bought this but did just buy this:
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire