Home
Posted By: viking Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
I see over on TFB, that Speer has come out with a new load for the 10. 200 grain GD at 1100 fps, not exactly a barn burner, but a nice velocity.
Posted By: RDW Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
That reminds me that I need to pick up where I left off last January. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of 180 HP's and 200 HAP's for my G20 and ran the HAP's up to 1050 but intend to push them at least to the original load specification of 1200 with a 200gr slug.
Posted By: RJM Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
Just loaded up some test loads using Montana Bullet Works 200 grain LBT with Longshot powder. According to a poster over on the 10mm Forums he is getting 1150-1250 fps in his various Glocks. Ran some through a Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf barrel, a PARA Elite LS Hunter and a Kimber Stainless Target II and they ran perfect and very accurate.

In the process of ordering a mold from MeHic but have not decided whether to order a 200 or a 220....

Also building a Colt Commander, as in aluminum frame, in 10mm... That may kick a little...

Bob
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
The Speer GD is a great self defense bullet. It tends to expand fast from what I've seen in gel tests. I use it in several of my CCW guns. Not sure I'd want it in a 10mm though. My 10mm's are used for woods and hunting carry where penetration is typically preferred.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by RJM
Just loaded up some test loads using Montana Bullet Works 200 grain LBT with Longshot powder. According to a poster over on the 10mm Forums he is getting 1150-1250 fps in his various Glocks. Ran some through a Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf barrel, a PARA Elite LS Hunter and a Kimber Stainless Target II and they ran perfect and very accurate.

In the process of ordering a mold from MeHic but have not decided whether to order a 200 or a 220....

Also building a Colt Commander, as in aluminum frame, in 10mm... That may kick a little...

Bob

i would have to look, but i am pretty sure i have at least the mehic 200grain mould. It came with the pins for hollow, pentad, the little dimpled hollow or solid. make pretty powder coated bullets.
I was after the norma 200grain 1200fps load.
out of the ruger buckeye special, it scoots.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

I've experimented a lot with different weights in the 10mm, even going as far as ordering custom molds (from Mountain Molds) to maximize powder capacity. I've concluded that 200gr is almost universally better than the heavier weights in this cartridge, because of the loss of capacity with 220gr and other heavy bullets. With a 220gr, you've essentially got a skinny 45 Auto +P load, while the 200gr and lighter are still capable of magnum pistol territory.

The Mihec 200gr designed on castboolits a few years ago is the best 10mm mold I have used, with the shallow hollow point pins for long barrels and full power loads, and the deeper pins for short barrels and lower velocity.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by Yondering

I've experimented a lot with different weights in the 10mm, even going as far as ordering custom molds (from Mountain Molds) to maximize powder capacity. I've concluded that 200gr is almost universally better than the heavier weights in this cartridge, because of the loss of capacity with 220gr and other heavy bullets. With a 220gr, you've essentially got a skinny 45 Auto +P load, while the 200gr and lighter are still capable of magnum pistol territory.

I haven't gotten the same results. Below are my chrono results in my G40 and DW Bruin with the averages I obtained with my ProChrono:

UNDERWOOD 220gr HC:
Dan Wesson Bruin (6.3” bbl): 1,266 fps; 783 ft-lbs
G40 (6.0” bbl): 1,265 fps; 782 ft-lbs

UNDERWOOD 200gr HC:
G40 (6.0” bbl): 1,314 fps; 767 ft-lbs
Dan Wesson Bruin (6.3” bbl): 1,291 fps; 740 ft-lbs

BUFFALO BORE 220gr HC FN:
Dan Wesson Bruin (6.3” bbl): 1,216 fps; 722 ft-lbs

DOUBLE TAP 200gr WFNHC:
G40 (6.0” bbl): 1,226 fps; 668 ft-lbs
Dan Wesson Bruin (6.3” bbl): 1,220 fps; 661 ft-lbs

Not only is the velocity for the Underwood 220gr HC quite impressive; it was based on three shots, and, out of my DW, they were 1267 fps, 1266 fps, and 1266 fps, which indicates pretty good quality control. The same load out of my G40 were 1272 fps, 1253 fps, 1269 fps. Not quite as perfect, but still decent SD. (The DW almost always gives me tighter velocity spreads than the G40 with various loads, which likely results from the tighter tolerances in the DW than the Glock).

I took a buck this year with the DT 200gr loads out of my G40. I wasn't really hunting, in that I was carrying it for bear defense. I was trying to drive deer to my 13-yr-old son. But I saw a dumb buck walk 55 yards away from me, and I couldn't resist. (My son got his first deer the next day, and had extra experience field dressing, skinning , and butchering it after helping me with mine). Since then, I have switched to those impressive 220gr UW loads for most outdoors purposes.

I can't comment on what anyone can or cannot do with 200gr or 220gr HC 10mm loads. But the UW 220gr loads seem to be the clear winner of the manufactured loads I have chronographed.

The best 200gr load I tested has 2% more velocity than the best 220gr load I tested. But the best 220gr load had 10% more mass, and 6% more energy, than that best 200gr load.

I don't think any 45 Auto +P load can push a 220gr bullet anywhere near 1,265 fps, and I don't think any 45 Auto +P load can come close to 782 ft-lbs.

Posted By: CraigC Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18
The 200gr Gold Dot would be a great game bullet, IF the jacket is thicker than the 180gr. If it's more along the lines of the 270gr .44 Gold Dot and less like a self defense bullet.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I took a buck this year with the DT 200gr loads out of my G40. I wasn't really hunting, in that I was carrying it for bear defense. I was trying to drive deer to my 13-yr-old son. But I saw a dumb buck walk 55 yards away from me, and I couldn't resist. (My son got his first deer the next day, and had extra experience field dressing, skinning , and butchering it after helping me with mine). Since then, I have switched to those impressive 220gr UW loads for most outdoors purposes.

How did the DT 200gr load perform on the buck?

I've thought about buying that bullet and loading it for my Glock 20 because of it's wide nose.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
How did the DT 200gr load perform on the buck?

I've thought about buying that bullet and loading it for my Glock 20 because of it's wide nose.

That was the first deer I have shot with a handgun, so I don't have much to compare it to.

It was at 55 yards, and I had not shot my G40 at that distance. Most of its torso was behind a tree. Only the head, neck, and a little bit of its front chest were exposed (aside from its butt).

I shot him first in the neck (but, as I later discovered, that didn’t hit the spine). He lurched forward, and I put three more shots in a second or two in its shoulder and chest. According to my son, who was about 150 yards away, first shot to last shot spanned only a couple of seconds. All four shots hit. I found the buck laying about five feet from where the first blood spatter was on the leaves on the ground. He was still twitching a bit; so I put one last round through the neck/spine. When I walked back to my son, he asked me: “Did you get attacked by a bear?”

Obviously, all five shots were pass-throughs. I kept shooting until it went down because my son had never been on a successful hunt, and I didn’t want it to get away. Basically there were five roughly half-inch holes through it with no apparent deflection. It’s difficult for me to assess the bullets’ effectiveness given the number of rounds that hit. It definitely was not as violent as a rifle. By comparison, the below is an exit wound by my .308 (after going through about two feet of deer) on another deer a few days later. On such small game, something like a 180gr or 200gr JHP might yield better results. But, the 200gr DT HC rounds did exactly what I asked them to do. Any of the four HC loads I chronoed, as listed above, would be great outdoors SD and/or hunting loads IMO.

[Linked Image]

My 13-yr-old son got to learn how to field dress, skin, and butcher a deer on that one. And he got to do his own a few days later.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the info and pics. I'm shooting the Underwood 180XTP right now but was considering switching to HC.
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18
My sample set is small....but I am no longer a HC fan for handguns and medium game. Waiting to test the XTPs on live game.

Marine.....you have an RMR/Optic or open sights??
I have Meprolight adjustable night sights on the G40.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18

Good sights. I have them on a G20 and G40. They sit a little taller than stock Glock sights, but high quality.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Good sights. I have them on a G20 and G40. They sit a little taller than stock Glock sights, but high quality.

Same sights I have on my Glock 20
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/19/18
My smith is working on a Glock 40 MOS, installing a Trijicon RM-06 which has an amber dot. He’s doing a trigger job. He’s a Glock armorer and SWAT officer.

I plan on shooting Horn 180 XTP’s, have Longshot, AA #7 and #9 on the way, already have Blue Dot. Just got in 500 Starline cases.

I’m setting up my Dillon 550B, have 10mm/40 Dillon dies on the way. I already had a suitable shell plate, powder drop die and expander (38-40) and #2 retainer pins (38/357).

I’m looking for a good chest holster for hunting. Would appreciate recommendations.

DF

They're pricey but I like my Diamond D guide choice leather chest holster. I also like Simply Rugged's stuff too, but I'm not sure if either will work with optics.
Surely someone makes a chest holster for the Glock 40 MOS.

DF

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/collections/holsters/products/guides-choice-chest-holster
That is nice.

Thanks.

DF
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/20/18
Do any of y'all think the GD load will expand better than the 180 factory Hornady load, as a SD load.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Surely someone makes a chest holster for the Glock 40 MOS.

DF

I got a nice one from Simply Rugged.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/22/18
I don't see anything listed for the Glock 40 MOS. They have a large, scoped handgun chest holster, not what I had in mind.

Which model did you get?

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/22/18
I kinda like this one, price is a bit steep.

https://gunfightersinc.com/products/kenai-chest-holster/

DF
Posted By: RickyD Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/22/18
I don't see anything listed for the Glock 40 MOS. They have a large, scoped handgun chest holster, not what I had in mind.

Which model did you get?

DF

I got the Cuda with the optional chest harness. You need to scroll down slowly to find the Glock 40 10mm option. Got mine in Wildebeast but didn't like the greenish color when it came so I sent it back and they stained it a nice burgundy color. Looks great and carries great. Of course, you can remove the chest harness and it can be worn on a belt, too, but I prefer all the frontal and side positions I can put the gun in with their harness. I think Sam (Mannlicher) got one, too.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/23/18
It does look nice.

Thanks.

DF
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/23/18
Yeah, I checked the Glock 40, so it is an option. They'll have a drop down where you can indicate if you're using a red dot or irons. When I was finished with the whole process it was $200.00. I have a Kydex rig to hold my Glock 40 now. I'm having to divert any firearm $$$ to finishing my current rifle build.
Posted By: RDW Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/26/18
I ran 200gr HAP's up to 1150 with 8.4 grs of Longshot, Hodgdon data indicates 8.2 max at 1172.

What are alternate powders to consider shooting for 1200?
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/26/18
Originally Posted by RDW
I ran 200gr HAP's up to 1150 with 8.4 grs of Longshot, Hodgdon data indicates 8.2 max at 1172.

What are alternate powders to consider shooting for 1200?

Accurate #9 is your best bet to reach top velocity for that bullet weight in the 10mm. You'll find it maxes out at just a little past 100% fill volume too; it seems to be the perfect burn rate and density for this application.

It depends on your barrel length of course, but I'd expect you should be able to approach (and maybe exceed) 1250 fps from a G20 or 5" 1911.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/26/18
Re: Kenai Chest Rig: keep in mind you can get other holster shells for $85.

Love my Kenai w Smiff Mountain Gun!

Soon as I fun money recovers from Christmas plan to get SBH and 20/21 shells.

And see if they can make one for a Fightlite Raider; that oughta be fun to wear to Wally Whirled... grin
Posted By: RDW Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/26/18
I searched for a 9x25 barrel, Storm Lake, Lone Wolf and KKM didn't find one.

Are they still produced?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/26/18
Originally Posted by viking
I see over on TFB, that Speer has come out with a new load for the 10. 200 grain GD at 1100 fps, not exactly a barn burner, but a nice velocity.

Bet that'll work just fine, I initially ran the first bag of brass with 200 gr Noslers to 1244 fps average in my DW 1911, backed the next two bags of brass down to an even 1200 fps, poa is the same, saved 60 sticks of brass and loaded some Lehigh Defense 140 gr EP's to 1400 for spare mag carry.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/27/18
Originally Posted by RJM
Also building a Colt Commander, as in aluminum frame, in 10mm... That may kick a little...Bob

Bob, been thinking about doing just that for a while, but haven’t gotten off the dime quite yet. After converting a Ruger SR1911 9x19 to 9x23, I’m thinking of using one of those as the starting point to have a frame already milled for a ramped Commander 10mm barrel.

Would be interested in hearing the particulars and progress of your build. A 10mm LWT CCO would be the best of all worlds for SD CC, but the frame is a challenge as I don’t want to go the custom route and prefer to DYI.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Another 10mm thread - 01/29/18
Originally Posted by RDW
I searched for a 9x25 barrel, Storm Lake, Lone Wolf and KKM didn't find one.

Are they still produced?

I see Lone Wolf has a few (low stock) for a Glock 29 but on other sites it appears they have been discontinued.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/10/18
Originally Posted by gunner500

Bet that'll work just fine, I initially ran the first bag of brass with 200 gr Noslers to 1244 fps average in my DW 1911, backed the next two bags of brass down to an even 1200 fps, poa is the same, saved 60 sticks of brass and loaded some Lehigh Defense 140 gr EP's to 1400 for spare mag carry.

gunner, I recently obtained this Glock 40, my second Glock. I have a .45 ACP Glock, have not shot it that much.

My gunsmith, a Glock armorer, did a trigger job and it's OK, softer than stock, but takes getting used to. It's nothing like a 1911 trigger. I can shoot 2" or so at 50 yds off a bag with my reloads. Not sure how well I'll be able to do offhand.

This one is the MOS model and I've installed a Trijicon RM-06 reflex sight which is a plus for antique eyeballs.

I'm loading the 180 gr. Horn XTP at around 1,200 fps over 9.2 gr. Longshot. My 550B Dillion is set up and churns'em out. I bought Dillon dies, used a 9mm shell plate, .38-40 powder drop, expander that I already had.

After shooting it a few times, sorta wishing for the Trijicon on a long slide 1911. This is a beast of a gun, probably the baddest Glock ever. 1911 won't go 15 rounds. Getting used to this trigger is the challenge for right now.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/14/18
My retired LEO bud, who was a firearms instructor, gave me some tips on shooting a Glock. We were raised with 1911's. He said not to put the 1st digit pad on the trigger, like we do with 1911's, but to wrap the trigger finger around the trigger up to the first joint.

I have long fingers, but had to adjust my grip to reach that far around this big pistol. Dry firing, it does seem to work. I'm also trying a two hand grip, weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard with a "push-pull" hold, pushing forward with the shooting hand, pulling back with the other.

Any Glock shooting tips from you guys?

DF
Posted By: RJM Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/14/18
The Glock 10mm are kicking my azz to the the point of selling them... They especially hurt the pad of my trigger finger to the point I start flinching after less than a magazine... I'll have to try the first joint next time out....

As to a high-cap 1911 10mm...if I sell the Glocks I'm looking at the double stack RIA. Handled one at the SHOT Show and it felt good in the hand... I already have one RIA and other than a little trigger work it was good to go out of the box, half the money of the others and just as accurate....

Bob
Duble stack RIA 1911 does sound nice. I haven't given up on the Glock 40 yet. It's a long slide and heavier than the std. one.

Can you put a reflex slight on the RIA? The Glock 40 MOS has a slot milled for the reflex sight. Can you get a RIA, slot milled for reflex sights?

DF
Posted By: RJM Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/14/18
Not really sure...
That double stack, 6" RIA 10mm is heavy, like 50 oz. The Glock 40 with Trijicon RMR is a mere 40+ oz., more, of course, with a full mag.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/14/18

gunner, I recently obtained this Glock 40, my second Glock. I have a .45 ACP Glock, have not shot it that much.

My gunsmith, a Glock armorer, did a trigger job and it's OK, softer than stock, but takes getting used to. It's nothing like a 1911 trigger. I can shoot 2" or so at 50 yds off a bag with my reloads. Not sure how well I'll be able to do offhand.

This one is the MOS model and I've installed a Trijicon RM-06 reflex sight which is a plus for antique eyeballs.

I'm loading the 180 gr. Horn XTP at around 1,200 fps over 9.2 gr. Longshot. My 550B Dillion is set up and churns'em out. I bought Dillon dies, used a 9mm shell plate, .38-40 powder drop, expander that I already had.

After shooting it a few times, sorta wishing for the Trijicon on a long slide 1911. This is a beast of a gun, probably the baddest Glock ever. 1911 won't go 15 rounds. Getting used to this trigger is the challenge for right now.

DF

[Linked Image]

Nice setup DF, I have faith in you, you'll be plugging pigs and deer from the creekbottoms this fall. smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/15/18
Thanks, gunner, for that word of encouragement.

I've got to transfer "off a bag" performance to offhand performance. Not many bench rests out there in the woods...

I'm learning the trigger technique my bud taught me. It does seem to work. dry firing in the shop.

Got a ways to go. Will report.

The 180 Horn XTP/9.2 Longshot load seems to be a good one.

DF
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/15/18
I have found that the polymer frame soaks up a lot of the sharp recoil impulse. Going from a Glock 20 to a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm was an eye opener for me. The recoil in the Colt was significantly sharper than in the Glock 20.
I shot a 10mm Colt Delta some years back. I do remember the sharp kick, even the twisting of the gun in my hand.

The heavier 6" Glock 40 doesn't do that. It does soak up recoil, is not unpleasant to shoot. But, I've shot .44 mags and big guns since I was a kid. It's the trigger I've gotta learn.

DF
Glock and ALL other striker fired pistols are mechanically incapable of even remotely matching the tuned 1911 trigger. I have a Springfield 1911 A1 that Wilson Combat completely worked over. The trigger pull brings a tear to my eye.
I have a Springfield 9mm target model that's nice.

Also have a Longslide Les Baer .45 ACP. I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I traded for this Les Baer, thing shoots like a rifle. I guess I could get some .45 ACP loads for hogs, but think the 10mm is a big step up.

A Longslide Les Baer in 10mm would be nice, but they're $2,500. And no Trijicon.

I'm gonna make this Glock work.

DF
I’ve lusted for a Les Baer Premier II in 45 acp with a 6” barrel. Unfortunately I seem to piss my money away on rifle builds and probably never will never be able to buy my Les Baer pistol. I do have one Gordy Gritters built rifle and am about 4 months away from getting my second Gordy rifle. Then I have to put a scope on it.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/15/18
Thanks, gunner, for that word of encouragement.

I've got to transfer "off a bag" performance to offhand performance. Not many bench rests out there in the woods...

I'm learning the trigger technique my bud taught me. It does seem to work. dry firing in the shop.

Got a ways to go. Will report.

The 180 Horn XTP/9.2 Longshot load seems to be a good one.

DF

You'll get there, I practice sitting in a chair shooting off a crossed knee out to 50 yards, do the same or find a limb to brace off of while in a stand, bet that 180 XTP will dig plenty deep enough.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I have found that the polymer frame soaks up a lot of the sharp recoil impulse. Going from a Glock 20 to a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm was an eye opener for me. The recoil in the Colt was significantly sharper than in the Glock 20.

Interesting MD and DF, my 5" all steel DW 10mm shoots kinda soft with the 200's at 1200 fps, recoil impulse seems quite mild, never shot a Glock 10mm for comparison, a F/A 454C firing 335 gr hard casts at 1585 is certainly has some sharp recoil impulse, the gift that keeps giving, even 30 minutes after you've cleaned it and put it away. smile ;]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/15/18
I have a Springfield 9mm target model that's nice.

Also have a Longslide Les Baer .45 ACP. I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I traded for this Les Baer, thing shoots like a rifle. I guess I could get some .45 ACP loads for hogs, but think the 10mm is a big step up.

A Longslide Les Baer in 10mm would be nice, but they're $2,500. And no Trijicon.

I'm gonna make this Glock work.

DF

A bigger step up would be 45 Super. In my experience the 10mm with 180 XTP Underwood factory Ammo penetrates about the same as the 230 grain XTP Underwood, the difference being the 45 Super left a much larger diameter would channel.
The 185 XTP in your Super was a big eye opener for me JWP.

Interesting MD and DF, my 5" all steel DW 10mm shoots kinda soft with the 200's at 1200 fps, recoil impulse seems quite mild, never shot a Glock 10mm for comparison, a F/A 454C firing 335 gr hard casts at 1585 is certainly has some sharp recoil impulse, the gift that keeps giving, even 30 minutes after you've cleaned it and put it away. smile ;]

gunner,

What you call recoil and what us mere mortals call recoil is definitely different... blush

DF

I was referring to us normal size mortals gunner. A pistol in your big paw probably looks like a child’s cap pistol. 😄
LOL DF and MD, no, at 55 I'm feeling more "mortality" daily. grin

We wuz just too rough on ourselves Gents.

I was referring to us normal size mortals gunner. A pistol in your big paw probably looks like a child’s cap pistol. 😄

laugh

You right about that.

Gunner is just way too modest... grin

DF
I just ordered 500 RMR, FMJ 180 gr. bullets (new, not pulled) for practice. I'm going to have to spend some serious trigger time with this gun.

Why practice with good, hunting bullets? These may not be as accurate as the Horn 180 XTP, but should be good enough. I'll save those for hogs.

These are 12 cents each, probably cheaper than cast bullets. Should work well in the Glock.

Rocky Mountain Reloaders: https://www.rmrbullets.com/products...tal-jacket-fmj-round-nose-flat-point-new

DF
I know that Glocks a big hunting pistol DF, but, a spare mag of mid to heavyweight FMJ-FP's in a hip pocket is never a bad idea when out and about. smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/16/18
We'll see how these FMJ's shoot.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/16/18
10-4 Buddy, bet they'll be plenty close enough for car door/fender, dumpster, appliance/refrigerator work smile
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/17/18
I'm sending my S&W 1006 slide in to get milled for the RMR06.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/17/18
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Holo/reflex sight?
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/17/18

Holo/reflex sight?

This one, Gunner.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Adjustable%20LED

I'm mistaken on the exact model, The RMR09 w/adjustable LED and a 1 minute dot.
The RMR 06 3.25 minute dot, is going on the S&W M&P9 CORE, where the 09 is sitting now.
My eyesight has deteriorated enough that irons are history if I'm not in a self defense situation.
In other words precision shooting with blurry sights doesn't cut it.
Sooooo, all my remaining pistols will wear RMR's.
Sell one, buy an RMR for another. Retired financial reality.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/18/18
That'll work, whatever it takes to get the biscuit so to speak, I'm 55 and will explore same or similar when my sight begins to fade, as long as I can get up and walk, I'll be wanting to shoot something, I already know my days are numbered with the super hard kicking big bore rifles in the safes.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/18/18
Yeah Gunner, wear and tear plus age makes what used to be fun and relatively easy into a challenge.
Arthritis made me sell my 454 and 480.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/18/18
Yeah Gunner, wear and tear plus age makes what used to be fun and relatively easy into a challenge.

Dang, I'm finging I'm shooting my blackpowder powered 45 Colt more than my 454 and 44 mag too. smile

I believe every damn one of us would have taken better care of ourselves if we had it to do over again, but, you cant tell a young buck slap fulla piss and vinegar a dang thing.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/18/18

Dang, I'm finging I'm shooting my blackpowder powered 45 Colt more than my 454 and 44 mag too. smile

I believe every damn one of us would have taken better care of ourselves if we had it to do over again, but, you cant tell a young buck slap fulla piss and vinegar a dang thing.

What's that old saying? Too soon old, too late wise?

Nowadays it's a rare session that I shoot anything but 9gr. Universal under a 250gr. SWC in my 44 mags, and 6.8gr. Universal under a 210gr. SWC in 41 mag.
Both of those loads are no slouches in close range hunting or killing.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Another 10mm thread - 02/18/18

That’s the first thing I change on any Glock in my stable. Meprolight adjustable sights are excellent, high quality night sights.
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/25/18
Drew blood last night with my glock 20. I was using factory Hornandy 180’s. The shot was 44 yards. The was a nice spray, but the trail quickly disappeared in the brush.
Posted By: RJM Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/25/18
After a couple more shooting sessions I decided that the large frame Glocks just were not for me... A friend bought the 20 and the 29 is on GunBroker with lots of bids on it... The 40 will be staying for now as it was bought for the dedicated purpose of an anti-carjacking gun. It has great night sights, the TruGlo TFO, and Strealight light/laser..and hides easily in a Bagmaster pouch right on the front seat...

Decided on the MeHic 200 grain bullet and ordered a mold...

Bob
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/25/18
This one finally made it home. For the last 5 or 6 months, they'd either be out of stock or I was diverting funds elsewhere. Here she is. Very soft shooting with S&B 180 gr FMJ. Haven't had a chance to try any stouter loads yet. Crappy cell phone pic from glare and all. But, that's a case full of Wilson Combat 1911's below. smile

This pic was taken at the gun shop shortly after gunsmith had mounted the RMR.

G40 with Trijicon RM06.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/26/18
Another view showing the RMR. I'm working with it, trying to get used to it.

So far, the 180 XTP is the most accurate, the 180 FMJ second. I ordered 200 gr. hard cast bullets from Rim Rock, reportedly the bullet source for Buffalo Bore ammo. They're nice looking bullets and I loaded a batch with 9.2 gr. Longshot already set up in my Dillon 550B.

The cast bullets aren't as accurate as the jacketed ones. I know Glock has polygonal rifling, not recommended for cast, but I've been reading that the really hard cast bullets, like these, reportedly do very well in the Glock.

I may need to work on different powder, different loads.

I got my Freedom Arms M-97 5 1/2" .357 out of the safe and started working with it. It will shoot 170 gr. Speer Gold Dot and 180 gr. Hornady XTP's at about the same speed as the 10mm with equal weight bullets. And, it's easy to shoot and seems to be more accurate. I did have to get a taller front sight from Freedom Arms. The front sight is very easy to swap out with a single allen set screw. Freedom Arms has an assortment of higher front sights. So, we'll see how this plays out.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/26/18
I'm not a 10mm expert, but have several 10mms - mostly 1911 variants - and have been shooting this cartridge a while. I prefer the 180 grain bullet at about 1250 for SD and haven't really tried to push handloads faster than that as this MV gives me good control for follow up shots. I think the 180s provide a good balance of MV and enough weight to ensure adequate penetration and expansion.

Like RJM I am intrigued with the idea of a LWT Commander - aluinum frame - so I've built one based on the Ruger SR1911 9mm LWT Commander. I fired it as a 10mm for the first time last week to test for function. It is very controllable with my 180 JSPs at about 1250. Recoil is present but no worse than a 230 +P 45 ACP. I need to tweak the slide release a bit and install an EGW square-bottom firing pin stop, but have established a 22 lb RS as the preferred one for my combo.

Once this rig is sorted out and reliable, I'm planning to put together an aluminum frame CCO in 10mm.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
Picked up my first Glock today, and also my first 10mm. Cabelas had this listed (and priced) as used, but there's no evidence of it being fired, and came set up with a FFIII and a set of Trijicon suppressor night sights. I really like the setup because the sights co-witness with the FF and I can find the dot much quicker, not to mention if the battery dies. I have a new RMR I might swap out with the FastFire eventually, but anxious to give the big Glock a trial run as is. If it don't work out for me I figure I won't get hurt with less than 6 bills tied up in the whole setup. Now to find a holster, looking at the Man Gear Alaska chest holsters. Anyone try one?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
Drew blood last night with my glock 20. I was using factory Hornandy 180’s. The shot was 44 yards. The was a nice spray, but the trail quickly disappeared in the brush.

Dang, don't leave us in suspense Viking, details buddy, deer, pig? did you break a good trigger at the shot?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
That'll work, whatever it takes to get the biscuit so to speak, I'm 55 and will explore same or similar when my sight begins to fade, as long as I can get up and walk, I'll be wanting to shoot something, I already know my days are numbered with the super hard kicking big bore rifles in the safes.
You can kill anything around your place with a 30-30 or a 357 anyway. Elks and suchlike are great but I can be happy with stuff you'd find out in your backyard or mine.

I'm a year older than you and figured out several years back that I can shoot a 454. I also figured out I don't want to shoot a 454.
Same/Same, the reason my 454C will be loaded down to about 1250 with the 335 LBT's when the hellbenders are shot up.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
The only 10mm I own is a commander length 1911 with a titanium Caspian frame.

I am running out of the hot rod Cor Bon ammo.

A larger...long frame 10 is interesting.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
Same/Same, the reason my 454C will be loaded down to about 1250 with the 335 LBT's when the hellbenders are shot up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
LOL, Gunner. Yeah I forgot the hog part. The boy and I where west of SA. I intended to use my 257 Roberts on hogs, but we switched blinds. The blind I was in was a laser measured at 44 yards. A bunch of pigs came to the feeder. I thought this isn't much of shot for the Roberts, so I tried one withe the 10mm. I hit one, obviously not that good, but there was blood. I was able to follow the blood for a little ways. The brush was to thick.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18

I have several .45 Colt revolvers. One is a line bored old style SBH, work done by Jim Stroh; it's a tack driver. Jim installed a full length ejector, fitted a 6" Shilen barrel, made the front sight. I did the trigger job with trigger stop, has aftermarket rear sight. I shaped the bone handles, installed the Ruger medallions.

The 270 gr. Penn Bullets Thunderhead hits with a wallop, huge meplat. https://www.pennbullets.com/thunderheads.html

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tmitch
Picked up my first Glock today, and also my first 10mm. Cabelas had this listed (and priced) as used, but there's no evidence of it being fired, and came set up with a FFIII and a set of Trijicon suppressor night sights. I really like the setup because the sights co-witness with the FF and I can find the dot much quicker, not to mention if the battery dies. I have a new RMR I might swap out with the FastFire eventually, but anxious to give the big Glock a trial run as is. If it don't work out for me I figure I won't get hurt with less than 6 bills tied up in the whole setup. Now to find a holster, looking at the Man Gear Alaska chest holsters. Anyone try one?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking about Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights for my Glock 40 with RMR reflex sight. I think it would make finding the red dot a lot faster.

You got a great deal. I'll end up with twice that much in mine.

DF
LOL, Gunner. Yeah I forgot the hog part. The boy and I where west of SA. I intended to use my 257 Roberts on hogs, but we switched blinds. The blind I was in was a laser measured at 44 yards. A bunch of pigs came to the feeder. I thought this isn't much of shot for the Roberts, so I tried one withe the 10mm. I hit one, obviously not that good, but there was blood. I was able to follow the blood for a little ways. The brush was to thick.

Damn, you'll get the next one, I don't shoot very far with my DW 1911 10mm, but, the 200 gr XTP's at 1200 fps hit really well on the occasional 50 yard braced shot, I have no doubt a solid hit would dispatch any hog or deer.
Those will get it done EE, nice!

DF, great looking revolver, I've shot two deer in the ribs with the Thunderheads, and yes on the wallop, had yet to have one exit though, they compress a hell of a wall of solids on the nose of that .440" meplat, really do a lot of damage to a bucks lungs.
Those will get it done EE, nice!

DF, great looking revolver, I've shot two deer in the ribs with the Thunderheads, and yes on the wallop, had yet to have one exit though, they compress a hell of a wall of solids on the nose of that .440" meplat, really do a lot of damage to a bucks lungs.

How would they work on tougher critters where lots of penetration may be the ticket?

So, the question, do they ball up so much that they slow down and don't penetrating enough?

DF
I wouldn't use em where max or even a lot of penetration is needed, no on the ball up, just slight expansion of the nose, I was only pushing them to about 950 fps with blackpowder in my Colt SAA.

I've got one of the recovered bullets around here somewhere, want me to mic the nose?
Charcoal burner... grin

I think hogs and WT's are game for the Thunderhead and pushed a bit harder, should work even better.

I've not shot anything with them, so far. If I can't get satisfaction out of this 10 mm Glock 40, I may revert to the .45's.

My .357, 5 1/2" Freedom Arms revolver with 170 Speer Gold Dots and 180 gr. XTP's at around 1,200 fps, is about equal with the 10mm. The .45 Colt in a strong action with "real" powder, will out perform both.

DF
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/29/18
Charcoal burner... grin

I think hogs and WT's are game for the Thunderhead and pushed a bit harder, should work even better.

I've not shot anything with them, so far. If I can't get satisfaction out of this 10 mm Glock 40, I may revert to the .45's.

My .357, 5 1/2" Freedom Arms revolver with 170 Speer Gold Dots and 180 gr. XTP's at around 1,200 fps, is about equal with the 10mm. The .45 Colt in a strong action with "real" powder, will out perform both.

DF

The 357 is Less diameter than the 10mm and I would not call it equal at 1200FPS. I would want at least1400 FPS with a 158/160 grain flat point hard cast if I were to use a 357

The 45 Super would be my choice over a 10 mm

I'm thinking about Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights for my Glock 40 with RMR reflex sight. I think it would make finding the red dot a lot faster.

DF

They seem to help me. I have an RMR on my suppressed Buckmark but, after a couple years use and thousands of rounds through it, I still struggle to find the dot quickly. With the co-witnessed suppressor sights on the G40 the dot shows up almost instantly right over top of the front sight post. Maybe my brain is just hard wired for irons?

DF

They seem to help me. I have an RMR on my suppressed Buckmark but, after a couple years use and thousands of rounds through it, I still struggle to find the dot quickly. With the co-witnessed suppressor sights on the G40 the dot shows up almost instantly right over top of the front sight post. Maybe my brain is just hard wired for irons?

May be a symptom of being an ole fart. BTDT...

Makes sense. I already called my gunsmith, told him to get me a set of Trijicon Suppressor NIght Sights. I liked the looks of your rig.

DF
. Maybe my brain is just hard wired for irons?

May be a symptom of being an ole fart. BTDT...

DF

You got that right! laugh
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/31/18
Just got off the phone with my gunsmith, we discussed finding the dot in the RM06. He said he learned to drop the muzzle a bit after instinctively pointing the pistol. I agree that helps, but would rather have the co-witness set up. So, he's getting me a set of Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights. They're high enough for suppressor use and as such are visible thru the RM06. I'll get him to sight with the dot, as it's dead on.

He's a Glock trained armorer, retired LEO/SWAT. He did a trigger job on my gun. It's softer, but I don't like the feel. I have a Glock 21, .45 ACP, no trigger job. It's a harder trigger, but has a two stage feel that I like. This trigger job included a lighter striker spring. I'll get him to replace the std. striker spring, maybe that will restore the two stage feel. He said to use Fed primers with the lighter spring. I don't like the idea of a softer striker spring, although it does go bang every time. I'll keep working with this project until I'm fully satisfied and it performs as intended.

DF
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/31/18
I should trade my SF20 off for the 40 model.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/31/18
I should trade my SF20 off for the 40 model.

Keep the SF20 for a spare carry gun, isn't SF, slim frame?
I thought it stood for short frame

From Glock web site:

"The SF model reduces the circumference of the receiver at the rear, or "backstrap," offering increased comfort and control—especially to shooters with smaller hands".

I'm wondering if the Gen 4, Glock 40 has this feature. It may, as it comes with a selection of clip on back straps, all of which seem to make the grip too big. And, I have long fingers, don't have small hands.

My retired LEO friend who was a range officer, trained LEO's, said he didn't use the tip or pad of his trigger finger on a Glock trigger, He likes to to use the first joint on the trigger, said it gives better control. To do that, even with the base backstrap, I have to pivot my hand slightly on the grip to reach that far with my trigger finger. That technique does seem to work. He and I shot a lot of 1911's in our mis-spent youth, the trigger finger pad on the trigger was the way to go with those guns.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/31/18
10-4 Men, regardless, a good gun that I knew ran well and was accurate would be a keeper. smile
I use the first joint in glocks. For me, when the tip of my trigger finger pad touches the frame I know it’s right there. Now that is the case for my old 21 and my gen 3 sf 20.
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Another 10mm thread - 03/31/18

Robert,

always good to read your posts.

have also enjoyed seeing that you're having fun with some of your handguns.

when it comes to springs, i typically advocate the factory spec. parts.

an exception in my case was the G21. i got one back in 1993, and it was forever giving me light strikes, but this was primarily with CCI primers. i switched to the Federal primers, which took care of the issue. some time later, i also swapped out the 5.5 lb factory striker spring, going with a Wolff 6 lb. i do like that combo--never an issue.

also, in my experience, i found that the early G21 mags were not as reliable as mags for the G17 or G19. when they changed the G21 mag at the top, and also the follower--it made the magazine very reliable.

i had several of the older style mags for it, and left a few of them fully loaded for about 18 years--firing off the rounds on occasion, and replacing with new cartridges. it wasn't intended as a test or experiment--it just naturally happened. after that period of time, the springs were so weak that it was easy to depress the follower down with just a finger tip. by contrast, with a new magazine, it was more difficult to depress the follower with a finger tip. those springs were limp junk.

to keep this issue from cropping up--since that time, i've typically loaded my hi cap mags with 2 rounds less than they are designed to hold. in addition, with the "medium capacity" mags--such as for the G30, you've got to just about stand on the thing to get the last round in, so it works nicely in that situation to go with one round less than it was intended to hold...just some random thoughts based on my experiences...
Thanks, always appreciate your input.

I'll keep you guys posted as I work with the 10mm Glock 40.

I'm sort of a bull headed Loony, I persist with a project until I get it like I want, or it goes down the road.

I have lots of hope for this one.

DF
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/01/18

From Glock web site:

"The SF model reduces the circumference of the receiver at the rear, or "backstrap," offering increased comfort and control—especially to shooters with smaller hands".

I'm wondering if the Gen 4, Glock 40 has this feature. It may, as it comes with a selection of clip on back straps, all of which seem to make the grip too big. And, I have long fingers, don't have small hands.

My retired LEO friend who was a range officer, trained LEO's, said he didn't use the tip or pad of his trigger finger on a Glock trigger, He likes to to use the first joint on the trigger, said it gives better control. To do that, even with the base backstrap, I have to pivot my hand slightly on the grip to reach that far with my trigger finger. That technique does seem to work. He and I shot a lot of 1911's in our mis-spent youth, the trigger finger pad on the trigger was the way to go with those guns.

DF

The gen 3 SF frames and all gen 4 frames are the same size in the grip. Using the "M" backstrap on the gen 4 frame brings the size back up to non-SF gen 3 and earlier dimensions.

The difference is the front to rear dimension of the grip; the width is unchanged.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/01/18
I have a few 10's in 1911 and g20sf platforms. I have trouble getting any comparable accuracy out of the glock....which sucks because its wearing dawson sights and a kkm barrel with every imaginable "be better" parts offered....but the reach, recoil and trigger just suck for me. I can bang apples from 50-80 yards with good regularity using my cheapest 1911 based 10, but am a 25 yard at best with my glock.

As for load testing, I have two samples, one a bear at 10 feet shot facing me in the center of the forehead which penetrated 16" through the skull and down into the neck/shoulder intersection. bullet was mildly deformed, well expanded and saved my azz. The second example was a 6pt bull elk at 10 feet. This bull was hit by a car and broke its legs. I just mercy killed it, complete pass through at the base of the neck and blew a baseball sized hole due to the contact with the spine. Both examples are the 200xtp at 1250 mv. I use 180 44-40 hardcast with great results on paper and rocks and fully intended to shoot a bear with one, but that bear popped up and I was loaded with xtps and it was too close to not shoot.....and it was a 300 plus pound bear that I could smell his breath.
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
So what kind of red dots do y'all run on your Glocks? I was thinking of a FF3. Thoughts.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
Trijicon RMR seems to be a pretty popular reflex sight. Not cheap, but reportedly one of the best.

Mine is the RM06 red dot. I just bought a set of Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights to co-witness the RM06. I think finding the dot is going to be easier with this set up. I got these on EBay for $109 delivered. Will get my buddy to fit them with his special tool. He'll set them to the dot which is dead on.

I also returned the factory striker spring, replacing the lighter one he had installed. This makes the trigger slightly harder, but restores the two stage feel, which I like better.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
I know you guys are discussing Glocks and dots, but damn, I'm really liking my DW 1911 10mm and the irons, that sob throws 200 gr Nosler and XTP's to an unreal accurate 1200 fps, I enjoy carrying it daily and shooting it around here at least a couple times a week.

Have two fresh boxes of brass left, bout time to load em up. smile
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
So what kind of red dots do y'all run on your Glocks? I was thinking of a FF3. Thoughts.

All of mine get the Trijicon RMR, milled into the slide, with co-witnessed suppressor sights. No MOS or dovetail mounts for me (not what you asked, but related).
Posted By: viking Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
I would have to go with the dovetail mounts
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/03/18
I wouldn't even bother in that case. You'd be better off and faster with iron sights. I'm not exaggerating. I like red dot sights on my pistols but a red dot in a dovetail mount with no co-witness is the worst of both worlds, not the best.

May I ask why? Having your slide milled is not terribly expensive, especially relative to the cost of the optic, and there are lots of places that do it these days with fast turnaround time.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/04/18
Originally Posted by Yondering
I wouldn't even bother in that case. You'd be better off and faster with iron sights. I'm not exaggerating. I like red dot sights on my pistols but a red dot in a dovetail mount with no co-witness is the worst of both worlds, not the best.

May I ask why? Having your slide milled is not terribly expensive, especially relative to the cost of the optic, and there are lots of places that do it these days with fast turnaround time.

Who does slide mill work for RMR?

DF
Posted By: Yondering Re: Another 10mm thread - 04/04/18
L&M and Suarez are a couple that come to mind. I've been happy with both, although I mill my own now. You'll spend as much for the MOS premium on a new Glock as you would sending a normal slide out for milling.
© 24hourcampfire