Home
Posted By: P_Weed Unmatched Hi Power Grips - - 03/08/18
I bought a NIB, FEG Hi Power pistol from the original owner a few years ago - and the checkered wood grips do not match.
One side is a light brown and the other is a dark reddish brown. Friend say's they came from the factory that way.

I don't think I'm looking at two different types of wood as walnut opposed to rosewood - but two different colored wood stains used.
As the original stain penetrates into the wood and the checkering - sanding would probably not be an option.
Any wood workers here have any suggestions?

I can get a set of new original Browning Hi Power grips that are interchangeable with the FEG Hi Power,
But if I'm wrong about the 'interchangeability' - I'm out the $$!

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Unmatched Hi Power Grips - - 03/08/18
The grips should interchange...

When you shop for Hi Power grips, the better grip makers will specify pre-Mk III and post-Mk III. Before the Mk III Hi Power, all Hi Power frames were forged/machined. At the Mk III they changed to investment casting/machining. So with the two manufacturing processes there are some subtle differences in how grips fit. If you're looking at factory type grips, don't worry at all because they all are made for the forged frames specifially, and your FEG has a forged frame.
Posted By: hclark Re: Unmatched Hi Power Grips - - 03/08/18
Buy some walnut stain and stain the light colored grip to match the dark colored one.
Get some craig spegel grips. You won't believe how they make the gun feel.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Unmatched Hi Power Grips - - 03/08/18
Originally Posted by hclark
Buy some walnut stain and stain the light colored grip to match the dark colored one.
That's a tall order with a stock Hi Power grip. The way they're made, it is very difficult to remove the lacquer finish with anything but a checkering tool. Most any other way and you're going to trash the checkering. They're a weird design.

Pweed - If you plunk down the coin for Spegel grips, I can guarantee you this...you won't regret it.
Posted By: mpmax Re: Unmatched Hi Power Grips - - 03/12/18
Stock FEG grips are on the "e" bay for $30. And, you get to see them before you buy them.
© 24hourcampfire