Home
Posted By: jackmountain Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Options? I have Smith's in 629, 686 and a stainless snub .38 model 60.
Like to have a colt Magnum carry but $$$. What model Smith's are reasonably priced (under $600)
I can't decipher the model numbers.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
In the S&W's you want to look for Model 19's and 66's (adjustable sights) or 13's or 65's (fixed sights). Those are all K-frames. In the L-frame S&W made both 586 (blue) and 686 (stainless) .357's with snub-nose barrel lengths, some of which were 7-shot (686+).

Here's a pic of a pair of S&W .357 snubs, a 3" M66 and a 3" M65:

[Linked Image]

Comparison in 3" (Model 65) and 2.5" (Model 66) barrel lengths:

[Linked Image]

It is unlikely (but certainly not impossible; deals are out there, particularly at local stores) you will find a K or L frame S&W snub for under $600, but for between 6-700 you can expect to find 2.5" 19's and 66's if you are diligent in your search.

As nice as the fixed S&W's are, in the .357 I strongly prefer adjustable sights, even on a snub-nose, to accommodate various bullet weights and to fit the point of impact to your hold. I sold my 3" M65 for that reason.
Posted By: RGK Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
This used to be my off-duty gun for some time after my dept went to autos. The 3" K-frame has garnered quite a cult following. A 3" .38 works well with +P loads, which is what you'll probably end up carrying anyway.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TWR Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Here's my 640-1 J frame, it's filthy but it works
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
That 2.5" model 66 is exactly what I want.
Iveen looking at the 640, but I just can't go hammerless.
Thanks for the pics. ALL very nice guns.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by jackmountain
That 2.5" model 66 is exactly what I want.
Iveen looking at the 640, but I just can't go hammerless.
Thanks for the pics. ALL very nice guns.

I’ve got both and they both work for my purposes. Wife keeps one around the house. She’s had hand and thumb surgery so the hamerless works for her.
A K frame of any kind is accurate and fun to shoot. Hasbeen
Posted By: jimy Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Ruger SP101 is a nice piece, a little on the heavy side but a great shooter.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
2 3/4" Security 6
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
An old Speed Six Ruger is a nice one that fits the bill.
Posted By: deflave Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
If I were gonna hunt for a modern day Smith in a snub configuration it would be the 640 Pro Series.

But in reality I'd just buy a LCR and call it good.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
They covered all the basic ones above... if you are interested in a longer barrel, I have a model 28, and. GP 100 for sale
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
I have no use for a .357 with the two inch barrel, but I dearly love the ones I have with the three inch barrel.
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Nobody so far has mentioned the snubbie that all the rest wish they could be. Though I normally like S&W revolvers since I made sort of a living working on them I never liked their little J frame deep concealed ' Chief Special ' style revolvers, either exposed or shrouded hammers. The grip geometry is horrendous for high pressure cartridges and they almost never shoot close to point of aim. To my way of thinking a Colt Detective Special or Cobra ( same gun with alloy frame ) especially earlier exposed extractor rod is the answer. Six shots instead of five, Colt's easy let-off DA pull and no other snub nose that I've handled that comes closer to hitting point of aim. The D-frame is a bit bigger and heavier in steel but still easily carried in close. I've carried mine with Pachmyer Presentation rubber grips since early 70's with the standard old 38 Sp FBI 158gr LSWCHP ammo and it prints 2" high right at 21'.

BTW 3-4" barrels are not what is considered a snub-nose revolver. Generally a 2" to 2 1/2" barrel holds that title
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Nobody so far has mentioned the snubbie that all the rest wish they could be. Though I normally like S&W revolvers since I made sort of a living working on them I never liked their little J frame deep concealed ' Chief Special ' style revolvers, either exposed or shrouded hammers. The grip geometry is horrendous for high pressure cartridges and they almost never shoot close to point of aim. To my way of thinking a Colt Detective Special or Cobra ( same gun with alloy frame ) especially earlier exposed extractor rod is the answer. Six shots instead of five, Colt's easy let-off DA pull and no other snub nose that I've handled that comes closer to hitting point of aim. The D-frame is a bit bigger and heavier in steel but still easily carried in close. I've carried mine with Pachmyer Presentation rubber grips since early 70's with the standard old 38 Sp FBI 158gr LSWCHP ammo and it prints 2" high right at 21'.

BTW 3-4" barrels are not what is considered a snub-nose revolver. Generally a 2" to 2 1/2" barrel holds that title

I carried an old Detective Special IWB for several years.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have no use for a .357 with the two inch barrel, but I dearly love the ones I have with the three inch barrel.

I split the difference. I want a 2.5" .357 mag.

Amen! I just say under 2.5" because there are plenty of 1 7/8" snubbies.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I carried an old Detective Special IWB for several years.

I miss my Detective Special every day.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
A Smith & Wesson 340 is a nice little snub nose, not for the faint of heart with 357 mag, I usually get 20 rounds through her and I’m done :-) but Doable.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/09/18
My Model 66 2.5" and Model 60 2" .357's. The Model 60 is my favorite carry and it's amazingly accurate with .357 defense loads

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by BamBam
A Smith & Wesson 340 is a nice little snub nose, not for the faint of heart with 357 mag, I usually get 20 rounds through her and I’m done :-) but Doable.

Which honestly means you won't be practicing much with that little biter. The whole thing about carrying a snub nose ' full cartridge ' revolver is to learn to draw it and shoot it more or less point of aim. No adjustable sights or ribbed and spikey hammers that become fabric snatchers guaranteed to bind you up half-drawn and so adrenalized you won't know a wall from a target.

To hit with a snub nose in a stress condition you need to see nothing but the front sight during the learning process of lots of range time after which you will know your hit zone instinctively from your arm and grip presentation thereafter. Your arm and stance will control your hit zone if your shooting without cover/rest but only after lots of practice so your body has this memorized. A good revolver will keep the hits close to point of aim and those that don't just add a layer of possible error in a stress fire situation. Nobody but the best will instinctively try to hold low left 3" with a gun that won't hold point of aim. You want a gun the throws a bullet where the barrel is pointed.

If there is one revolver that should be test fired from a machine rest before buying it's the snub nose 38/357 and with at least three good defense ammo offerings. My Colt Dick Special is unusual as it will group the same from 125 -158 gr. These guns are special.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18

Which honestly means you won't be practicing much with that little biter. The whole thing about carrying a snub nose ' full cartridge ' revolver is to learn to draw it and shoot it more or less point of aim. No adjustable sights or ribbed and spikey hammers that become fabric snatchers guaranteed to bind you up half-drawn and so adrenalized you won't know a wall from a target.

To hit with a snub nose in a stress condition you need to see nothing but the front sight during the learning process of lots of range time after which you will know your hit zone instinctively from your arm and grip presentation thereafter. Your arm and stance will control your hit zone if your shooting without cover/rest but only after lots of practice so your body has this memorized. A good revolver will keep the hits close to point of aim and those that don't just add a layer of possible error in a stress fire situation. Nobody but the best will instinctively try to hold low left 3" with a gun that won't hold point of aim. You want a gun the throws a bullet where the barrel is pointed.

If there is one revolver that should be test fired from a machine rest before buying it's the snub nose 38/357 and with at least three good defense ammo offerings. My Colt Dick Special is unusual as it will group the same from 125 -158 gr. These guns are special.

On the contrary, I practice quite often with that little biter, I get to walk out my door and shoot,And if I should say so myself I am quite proficient with it in 38 special and 357 magnum. I have owned it for just about 15 years, I couldn’t begin to tell you how many rounds I have out of it. I am A bit of a revolver whore, especially J frames.I come from a Law enforcement family, NYPD, including myself, short-lived :-) I grew up shooting revolvers and 1911s. And I concur detective specials are very special.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Nice weapons.. model 60 3” 357 is my everyday weapon or mr wife’s 2 1/2 “model 66.
Posted By: viking Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
A 3 inch barrel would be as short as I would want in a 357.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Didn't realize the stark difference in frame size til you see the 60 & 66 side by side...
Adjustable sights would be a big benefit. 6rds over 5 is big too.
Never handled a Ruger DA revolver for some reason. Grew up with nothing but colts, mostly pythons and a bunch of my uncle's carried Smith's.
Just picked up a really nice detective special on here for my dad as a gift and he loves it.
A 2" python would be badass.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18

S&W has some fine pieces that will cover this job, but don't forget that Ruger has some pretty nice guns that are still available with a little search. As Steelhead mentioned the Security Six 2-3/4", the Speed Six 2-3/4", and also the Service Six 2-3/4", I still have two of those models and love them. But the Ruger SP101 3" is a fine revolver as well. I've got a few of those including a custom from Gemini Customs, so you can have it your own way, including sights.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
I've handled tons of snubbys, but I've yet to see a Dick special in 357. Not that I feel like the 357 gains you much in a snub but that is what the OP asked about
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by TheKid
I've handled tons of snubbys, but I've yet to see a Dick special in 357. Not that I feel like the 357 gains you much in a snub but that is what the OP asked about

That’s because Colt never made one. And never will.

Like CaribouJack mentioned, the Ruger Security Six or Speed Six in the 2.75” version are great snub nose carry guns! As is the SP101 with the 3” barrel. You can pick up a clean used one for a good price in the $450 to $500 range if you hit the pawn shops or gun stores, and even on GunBroker if you’re patient. They are built like a tank, and are a little on the heavy side, but you’ll never wear one out, and I’ve never seen one fail to go boom when you pull the trigger. And the extra weight makes the recoil easier to handle with the stout 357 mag loads, and they are a joy to shoot with 38 specials. I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years, and they were accurate and reliable too.

That being said, my all time favorite snubnose 357 magnum is the S&W K frame Model 66 with the hard to find 3” barrel.
Mine wears a set of the rubber Hogue Boot Grips, as the Factory walnut grips are a little small for my big hands. It’s definitely the Cadillac of snub-nosed carry Magnums.
But since S&W didn’t produce many of the 3” versions, the prices have gone crazy high in the last 5 or 6 years. I saw two that were new in the box at the Tulsa Show this weekend. One was priced $1600 and the other was marked $1750 !!! And I also saw a couple of used beaters that were priced $1150 & $1250. That’s more than I care to pay for one, and why I highly recommend the Rugers.

I also saw a Model 65 with the 3” barrel at Tulsa priced at $750 and it was used. That version has fixed sights, but is other wise the same gun as the Model 66. I’m damn sure glad I got mine when they were still reasonable.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
I've had two 65's and currently have a 2" M10. Someday I'm going to get a 2.5" 66 or 19 since I prefer adjustable sights. I've had Rugers too and they are good revolvers for sure but at heart I'm a S&W guy.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Too lazy to look back through all the posts, but has anyone mentioned the Kimber K6S?
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Too lazy to look back through all the posts, but has anyone mentioned the Kimber K6S?

No. Do you have one? If so, what is your impression of it and how many rounds do you have through it? I've handled all the K6S models and Kimber's erratic quality control has kept me from buying one so far. Hopefully they can get it together because the K6S triggers are great and the sights are light-years ahead of the standard S&W snub-nose sights.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18

It gains you 350 fps.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/10/18
That's a good video. All of Paul's are good though.
Posted By: Youper Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
I fondled one in the gun store the other day. I didn't like the way the grip frame fit my hand. I had to contort my grip quite a bit to get the top of the backstrap into the web of my hand. The revolver felt like one I wouldn't be able to adequately control the recoil. Other than that is seemed well made.
The new Colt Cobra looked and felt cheap, but felt like I would be able to shoot it better than my model 36.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
I have the SW360PD Jframe in 357. 5 shot, 11.5 ounces empty. Great to carry, painful to shoot full power loads. 38 specials are OK.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-360-pd
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Colt Magnum carry.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Colt Magnum carry.

Exactly
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18

I want an exposed hammer. I rarely shoot any DA revolver in DA.
An exposed hammer is a requirement of mine also.
I'm surprised at these exposed hammer comments. I only shoot single action when I do some kind of ammo test.
Originally Posted by Youper
I'm surprised at these exposed hammer comments. I only shoot single action when I do some kind of ammo test.

And yet you admit you still find it useful. How do you know I use it for anything different than you do?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by jimy
"Nice", indeed... and I don't mind the weight - when touching off any .357M load the extra weight helps recoil.. But even then, it's a handful...
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Oregon45

No. Do you have one? If so, what is your impression of it and how many rounds do you have through it? I've handled all the K6S models and Kimber's erratic quality control has kept me from buying one so far. Hopefully they can get it together because the K6S triggers are great and the sights are light-years ahead of the standard S&W snub-nose sights.

No, I don't have one, but every one that I've picked up at the gun counters has had exceptional fit and finish in my opinion. Just throwing it into the mix.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
This is mine,

Fits in the palm of your hand.

whoops.

Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
My mod 66 2.5" is what I sometimes carry in the woods in a OWB holster

[Linked Image]

For every day town carry my mod 60 2" in a IWB holster is easier to carry. The only difference is 5 instead of 6 in the wheel

[Linked Image]

On days when I'm going to be in a "bad" area, the G19 is with me

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
The new Colt Cobra looked and felt cheap, but felt like I would be able to shoot it better than my model 36.

i haven't tried a new one, but have the old one. it works all right, but it does feel kind of cheapo to me next to a smith, but then what do i know? I know i am a smith whore.
The cobra is light and it does have that extra round.
at the distance any of these are designed for, they don't need a telescopic sight.
Posted By: hacklewrap01 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Two snub .357s live at my place, both the 2" versions- an SP101, and a Smith Model 60.
My wife shoots the Smith, the Ruger is mine. Neither is hard to handle, though she doesn't really
enjoy shooting them, and I don't like more than 20 rounds at a time. Both have nice triggers, though
the SP101 took some work. I don't mind that it's "heavy" for its size, I'm glad it is. For the money, I think
it's the nicest .357 out there. I replaced the ugly grip panels with elk scales, and it's prettied-up, or uglied-up,
with my own engraving, but I'm too stupid to post pictures. It's a heavy- coat pocket gun, mostly, and I rarely
need one anymore, but I'm gonna keep it, and I fire a few through it, weekly.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
It depends on what you will be doing with it. I have a S&W 340 which as noted by another poster is ferocious when shooting full power .357 loads. But I carry it....a lot, because it is light and small.

I carried a full size Ruger Service Six with a 4 inch barrel on duty and off duty for years. At the time, my department restricted the types of off duty guns that were allowed to be carried, and one had to qualify with them to be covered for liability by the department if it was used. We were restricted to revolvers in either .38 or .357.

I also carried a model 60 in .38 for awhile, but decided I wanted a .357 after riding to the hospital in the ambulance with a fellow that had been shot in the head during a close quarters gun fight with one of my co-workers...the 158 grain semi wad cutter load had hit him square in the forehead and stopped. You could see the base of the bullet protruding from his cranium and he was very much alive, although it rung his bell pretty good.

In an effort to get a more concealable carry gun I bought a 2 1/2 inch Colt King Cobra as I wanted to be able to carry full .357 loads. I found that this gun was really pretty useless in that it was harder to shoot accurately with the shorter barrel than the 4 inch Ruger, and really wasn't any more concealable. It was heavy, and the 1.5 inch shorter barrel didn't make any appreciable difference in the ability to carry it concealed. Hence it has sat in it's box since I bought it in the 80s.

For carry all the time, the 340 is great, and I know even in the summer time wearing shorts, I can carry it and have a reasonable chance of penetrating the cranium of even the thickest . skulled. Most encounters I have had were always at close quarters so I don't feel handicapped by it's lighter weight and heavy recoil.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have the SW360PD Jframe in 357. 5 shot, 11.5 ounces empty. Great to carry, painful to shoot full power loads. 38 specials are OK.

In my experience the most painful handgun I've ever fired with magnum loads. I was stupid and fired a full cylinder full. The experience could easily be duplicated by laying your hand palm up on a table and beating the web of your hand with a ball peen hammer.

Having owned and shot a few different configurations of 357 snubbies I'm left wondering what the appeal is of the gun. The round looses a significant amount of velocity from a 2 1/2" and shorter barrel and the muzzle blast, noise and recoil is off the charts compared to the performance of the round.

I'm a huge fan of the .357, one of my favorite rounds. But I can't see getting a .357 with a barrel shorter than 4".
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Terryk

In my experience the most painful handgun I've ever fired with magnum loads. I was stupid and fired a full cylinder full. The experience could easily be duplicated by laying your hand palm up on a table and beating the web of your hand with a ball peen hammer.

Having owned and shot a few different configurations of 357 snubbies I'm left wondering what the appeal is of the gun. The round looses a significant amount of velocity from a 2 1/2" and shorter barrel and the muzzle blast, noise and recoil is off the charts compared to the performance of the round.

I'm a huge fan of the .357, one of my favorite rounds. But I can't see getting a .357 with a barrel shorter than 4".

I think this pretty much covers it regarding frame/grip design shortcomings and the ballistic loss of a full 357 mag loads out of a true snubnose 2" -2 1/2" barrel.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by jimy
"Nice", indeed... and I don't mind the weight - when touching off any .357M load the extra weight helps recoil.. But even then, it's a handful...

I'm down to 4 SP101's (all 3"ers) in 357 mag. All either have Hogue grips or Trausch grips (which are very difficult to find anymore) and they really help control the recoil of the magnum loads. One of my favorite guns.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
The muzzle blast out of a short barrel .357 is a double edged sword.

True it is unpleasant to shoot, and not terribly helpful for long range accuracy.

If you are in a close range fight with someone, muzzle blast ain't a bad thing. It stuns the person, dog, coyote or whatever it is directed at.

In a really close fight such as a contact fight with someone, which does happen in real world, the muzzle blast entering someone's chest along with the bullet can have as big of or bigger incapacitating effect as the bullet. Fights don't end just because a slow velocity handgun bullet enters a body. It is hard to continue to fight however when a bunch of hot gas from a contact shot enters your lungs. Or blows into your face and eyes. In this kind of fight I want all the muzzle blast I can get.

They were called "Belly Guns" for a reason.
Originally Posted by cv540
It depends on what you will be doing with it. I have a S&W 340 which as noted by another poster is ferocious when shooting full power .357 loads. But I carry it....a lot, because it is light and small.

I carried a full size Ruger Service Six with a 4 inch barrel on duty and off duty for years. At the time, my department restricted the types of off duty guns that were allowed to be carried, and one had to qualify with them to be covered for liability by the department if it was used. We were restricted to revolvers in either .38 or .357.

I also carried a model 60 in .38 for awhile, but decided I wanted a .357 after riding to the hospital in the ambulance with a fellow that had been shot in the head during a close quarters gun fight with one of my co-workers...the 158 grain semi wad cutter load had hit him square in the forehead and stopped. You could see the base of the bullet protruding from his cranium and he was very much alive, although it rung his bell pretty good.

In an effort to get a more concealable carry gun I bought a 2 1/2 inch Colt King Cobra as I wanted to be able to carry full .357 loads. I found that this gun was really pretty useless in that it was harder to shoot accurately with the shorter barrel than the 4 inch Ruger, and really wasn't any more concealable. It was heavy, and the 1.5 inch shorter barrel didn't make any appreciable difference in the ability to carry it concealed. Hence it has sat in it's box since I bought it in the 80s.

For carry all the time, the 340 is great, and I know even in the summer time wearing shorts, I can carry it and have a reasonable chance of penetrating the cranium of even the thickest . skulled. Most encounters I have had were always at close quarters so I don't feel handicapped by it's lighter weight and heavy recoil.

Not the first time I've heard that happen with a 38.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Mike74

Not the first time I've heard that happen with a 38.
Interesting. Never heard of that happening before.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
The human skull is pretty tough. I've read about it stopping 22, 25, 32, 380, and 38's. I can't recall if I ever heard of a 9mm not penetrating a skull though? It wouldn't surprise me.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18

True it is unpleasant to shoot, and not terribly helpful for long range accuracy.

If you are in a close range fight with someone, muzzle blast ain't a bad thing. It stuns the person, dog, coyote or whatever it is directed at.

In a really close fight such as a contact fight with someone, which does happen in real world, the muzzle blast entering someone's chest along with the bullet can have as big of or bigger incapacitating effect as the bullet. Fights don't end just because a slow velocity handgun bullet enters a body. It is hard to continue to fight however when a bunch of hot gas from a contact shot enters your lungs. Or blows into your face and eyes. In this kind of fight I want all the muzzle blast I can get.

Excellent post, there my friend.. Kudos..
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18

And one more undesirable feature of the short barreled 357 mag is your total loss of night vision once you light one off. There are some low flash defense loads available today but even reducing the muzzle flash in half still leaves you with a very bright blinding after affects from what some guys at the Sig Academy have told me. It's worth considering either way
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18

And one more undesirable feature of the short barreled 357 mag is your total loss of night vision once you light one off. There are some low flash defense loads available today but even reducing the muzzle flash in half still leaves you with a very bright blinding after affects from what some guys at the Sig Academy have told me. It's worth considering either way

Agent Starling used the flash to see in the dark so as to kill Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
The human skull is pretty tough. I've read about it stopping 22, 25, 32, 380, and 38's. I can't recall if I ever heard of a 9mm not penetrating a skull though? It wouldn't surprise me.

Me thinks having a load that generates 1000 fps at the muzzle with a midweight for caliber bullet tends to aid in penetration.

The problem with cast bullet loads is if the ammo is that if you have a soft bullet lube and store the ammo in a high temperature environment the lube can migrate into the powder and cause squib loads. I wouldn't expect a 158 gr swc @ 1000 fps (+p load) to be stopped by a skull, but at a velocity that barely exits the barrel I wouldn't be surprised.

Then again bullets just do funny things on occasion. I've loaded hb wadcutters base forward in a 35 whelen with cat sneeze loads using 1 1/2 gr of powder that just barely exit the barrel and they expand to 3/4" and penetrate 2/3's of a phone book.
So you can load .357 bullets in a .35 Whelen?
Yup, most any 35 caliber rifle will shoot 35 caliber handgun bullets. Might not always feed smoothly from the mag and you need to taylor the load for the bullet.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
Ain't a skull known to man that will stop a hard cast bullet at 900fps
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
I like snubby .357's. But I swore after I got out of law enforcement I'd never own or carry another.

Firing a short .357 in confined quarters is pretty much solely responsible for the hearing loss I have today.

I love the pics you guys posted, but still won't change my mind about them. smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
I was just thinking about that yesterday.

I swear my 6 inch GP100 is twice as loud as my 5 inch 629.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
A 2.5" 66 picked up recently at a good price. It mostly.goes on quick grocery store runs and dog walks, but I wouldn't be afraid to carry it full time, if need be.

[Linked Image]
I really like the looks of that 66 Local Dirt.
Posted By: mathman Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I was just thinking about that yesterday.

I swear my 6 inch GP100 is twice as loud as my 5 inch 629.

If you go back a few editions of Speer manuals you'll find some 357 Magnum loads that were to an old pressure spec much higher than the one of today. I had loaded some of those old school max charges of Blue Dot under 125 grain bullets for a friend's 4" GP100. The firing line at our range had a tin roof, and when we touched off those rounds we could hear, while wearing earmuffs, the roof resonating well after the shot. To this day these rounds are known as The Roof Ringers, and my friend still keeps a handful around for social purposes.
I remember years ago I was at the range with my 357 blackhawk 4 5/8" and I think my 480 or perhaps a 45. Anyhow, I was using some Paco Kelley loads, a full dose of 2400 under a 200 gr cast bullet. One of the guys on the line made a comment about the 357 being a hand cannon, but didn't comment on the report of the 480. Seems like on a 357 the powder does more work outside the barrel than inside the barrel.

And as far as relying on muzzle blast for terminal effects, I don't know kind of scenario has you where your assailant is so close for that to come into affect. Not saying such events can't occur, but you might want to work on your situational awareness more than figuring how effective your muzzle blast will be against an assailant.
Bark and bite Mathman!

I squirreled away some old Cor Bon 10mm rounds years ago.

I have a commander length 1911 with a Caspian titanium frame.

Those rounds were snappy, to say the least.

I cant find anything today that is as powerful. It all feels like I am shooting a 9mm.
Here is my snub nose. SP101

I really like it. Sweetheart to shoot with the American Eagle 158 grain Magnum loads.

My handloads of a 158 grn HP over 14.5 grns of 2400 are easy shooting too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
You need either a bigger gun or a smaller hand.

RS
Posted By: saddlering Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
Iv found an older Ruger Security six 357 with a 3"barrel, finsh is just ok with some blueing loss! anyone like these? seems to fit my hand well!

Me too. I bought one like it a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]

I really like it. Sweetheart to shoot with the American Eagle 158 grain Magnum loads.

[Linked Image]

That is really nice. I was tempted to buy one like that last year.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Iv found an older Ruger Security six 357 with a 3"barrel, finsh is just ok with some blueing loss! anyone like these? seems to fit my hand well!

I love my old 1980s, .357 Magnum, Speed Six.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
When I had my Dan Wesson 357 I had the 4" and the 8" barrels. If I ever get another one I would go 2 1/2" and 6" instead.
When I had my Dan Wesson 357 I had the 4" and the 8" barrels. If I ever get another one I would go 2 1/2" and 6" instead.

I had the 2.5" 4" and 6". I had a scope mounted on the 6". This was back in the middle 1980s.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That's my thought for sure. Problem is too many loads are soft lead, and plenty <800fps. That's looking for a problem IMO.

[Linked Image]

I'd say you would like it more with some Hogue grips. It will be easier on your middle knuckle too!!! Thank me later.

Looks to be a Wiley CLap version. Those are nice.

Nothing wrong with those at all. Probably actually a 2-3/4" barrel. If it's actually 3" the price goes up.
Posted By: Youper Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/12/18

You're a better man than me Gungadin.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

You're a better man than me Gungadin.

Yeah, I would guess that's a bit painful.
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
This old Dick Special has been with me over forty years as a belly gun. It's a late forties issue with an original Colt hammer shroud that an old Boston PD armorer's had in his stash. Shoots close to point of aim and with the old style Pachmayr Presentation grips very manageable.. Not pretty but well maintained and she's a comfortable reliable shooter. I really can't imagine having or dealing with the sharp edges of adjustable sights on a carry gun plus shooting a carry gun in a high stress situation with such an accident and snag prone appendage. Anybody who thinks cocking the hammer and holding a good sight picture with a quart of adrenaline pumping through your pipes is reading too much and fantasizing.

[img]http://[/img]

Attached picture IMG_0746.jpg
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
When I first got my mod 60 2" .357 a buddy and I were at the range shooting. He was at the position next to me shooting his .45acp and his comment about my snub nose was, "man, that thing sure does bark" We were both wearing ear protection.

It bucks but I love it. crazy

[Linked Image]
This old Dick Special has been with me over forty years as a belly gun.. [Linked Image]

Those grips likely help.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
The equation:

easy to carry + usable sights + enough barrel to be accurate = 3" Model 60

Load it with midrange 125gr loads like the Remington golden saber for urban carry, 158gr hard cast LSWC under unique for woods.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

I had the 2.5" 4" and 6". I had a scope mounted on the 6". This was back in the middle 1980s.

I had the pistol pack, early 80s, I was young, stupid, sold it, kick myself in the a-ss
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

I had the pistol pack, early 80s, I was young, stupid, sold it, kick myself in the a-ss

If I'd been smarter when I was younger I would have narrowed down my choices to only quality firearms, saved up until I could afford them, and held onto them.

Oh well, one learns eventually one way or another.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

Mine was stolen. So at least I don't have to hate myself for having sold it.
So if anyone ever sees a Dan Wesson model 15 serial # 300290.........It belongs to me. smile

Mine was stolen. So at least I don't have to hate myself for having sold it.

Thanks Mike, you make me feel so much better :-)
Sorry man. Wasn't trying to beat up on you as much as make myself feel better. It was my Grandpa's revolver. smile
Sorry man. Wasn't trying to beat up on you as much as make myself feel better. It was my Grandpa's revolver. smile

I know, I’m just goofing around, I guess grandpa wasn’t too happy with you.
He didn't say much. He had given it to me several years prior.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

Me too. I bought one like it a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, fellas. They are getting a lot harder to find at a decent price.
My stupid day was when I sold my Colt Python many years ago
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1

Considering the price I got for mine, I have no regrets.

Considering the price I got for mine, I have no regrets.

I sold mine back in the 70's before they were bringing big money
Posted By: cv540 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Don't know how hard the lead in these loads were. They were the standard 158 grain semi wadcutter hollowpoint plus P loads that were the rage at that time, either Federal or Winchester. Probably softer to promote expansion of the bullet.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

My stupid day was when I tried to sell the 2.5 inch King Cobra I had bought in the 80's for $350, to a buddy that wanted a gun for his RV while he traveled.

I was asking $300, but he turned me down and offered less. Never did sell it, so I guess sometimes dumb luck pays off.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
I traded my Python for a Colt National Match .45 that was a complete piece of crap. Probably the worst trade I've ever made.
Posted By: mathman Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18

Stick those 158's on top of 16 grains of H110. Shoot a couple through a snubby near dark. Check out the watermelon size fireball. laugh

My stupid day was when I tried to sell the 2.5 inch King Cobra I had bought in the 80's for $350, to a buddy that wanted a gun for his RV while he traveled.

I was asking $300, but he turned me down and offered less. Never did sell it, so I guess sometimes dumb luck pays off.

You were fortunate. I sold my King Cobra.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/13/18
My favorite snubby .357 was the 2-3/4" Speed Six.

I had a couple SP101s. First was one of the early .38+P 3" guns, second a 2-1/4" .357. Very good guns. Mostly even the .357 shot what amounted to +P+ .38s in .357 cases.

Edit to add: one thing I don't like about the SP101 is the gap between the back of the trigger and the trigger guard is tight. Shooting fast DA I often got a fold of skin from my finger in the gap stopping the trigger from coming clear back to drop the hammer. frown

My current short .357 is a 3" adjustable sight S&W M60. It is one more accurate handguns I've owned despite being a vicious kicking little bitch with it's accuracy load. 5 full throttle Federal 125 grain JHPs typically group right at 2" at 50 yards from the bench. Truly unpleasant to shoot, however. Lesser loads don't group as well so I have to decide how much accuracy I'm willing to give up to reduce recoil.

If I were shopping today, I'd get the S&W M66 2-3/4" and swap grips.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/14/18

My current short .357 is a 3" adjustable sight S&W M60. It is one more accurate handguns I've owned despite being a vicious kicking little bitch with it's accuracy load. 5 full throttle Federal 125 grain JHPs typically group right at 2" at 50 yards from the bench. Truly unpleasant to shoot, however. Lesser loads don't group as well so I have to decide how much accuracy I'm willing to give up to reduce recoil.

From post above.

I can see I need to practice more. 2 inches at 25 yards would make me smile. I would also hope I had some witnesses. They might think I was lying. Hasbeen
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I can see I need to practice more. 2 inches at 25 yards would make me smile. I would also hope I had some witnesses. They might think I was lying. Hasbeen

laugh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/14/18
Pfffttt!

I can do that Jihad John style.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
Not a 357 mag, but I have a 2” 38 special S&W model 49 (blued steel ) ”Bodyguard”. It is the snag free, shrouded hammer sa/da “humpback” version.

It is on the S&W smallest J frame. Mine wears Uncle Mike’s black rubber Combat “boot” grips for improved control.

S&W makes a 357 mag stainless steel version, the 649.

Great snubbie, either one. A 357 mag is a handful in that package. Just need 38+P loads for reasonable use.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
Yeah, the Magnum J-Frames were a stupid idea to begin with.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
I have 3 in 357. Two 640-1’s and a 360j. They all have a job. My wife can shoot the 640’s. Both have a extremely smooth, lite DA pull. One rides in her car and the other is close to our front door on our home.
I carry the 360 in my pocket. My wife carries a J frame 7 shot 22 mag in her purse. I also have a 637 in 38 special.
My youngest daughter borrowed the 637 several years ago because of x husband problems. Come to think of it I may only have 4.
Hasbeen
Posted By: RickyD Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
I love the looks of the 2.5" 66/19's but do not enjoy shooting full charge 357's in them. I do have a 360 .38 that is +P capable and enjoy carrying and don't mind shooting it. Still prefer a .45 and most often carry one of those.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
Yeah, the Magnum J-Frames were a stupid idea to begin with.

some of us like em. crazy

I practice with .38's and sometimes .357's. I carry with .357. I don't think recoil would be noticeable in a self defense situation. I love my snubbies and I shoot them well. I'm a big guy with beefy hands and recoil doesn't bother me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/18/18
This is a pussycat with hot magnum loads. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/19/18
Whats a good price on s blued speed six Ruger with the 2 3/4 lenth barrel? blueing is only fair, gun seem to be in good shape tho and trigger is Great!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/19/18
Whats a good price on s blued speed six Ruger with the 2 3/4 lenth barrel? blueing is only fair, gun seem to be in good shape tho and trigger is Great!

That was my fantasy handgun when I was a teenager, before it was legal for me to own one, i.e., a blued Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. The first handgun I bought (1980) was a stainless version of it, because that's what the store had in stock. Still have it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/19/18

$300 +/- depending on the condition and your market.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Snub nose .357 - 04/19/18

If it came out on the classifieds for $300 it would be gong quickly. Those are very popular guns and in demand. Someone will buy it even at $400 relatively quickly. So long as it's mechanically sound someone will grab it.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Snub nose .357 - 10/07/18
Dang it!

Ever since Steelhead and TRH showed pics of their Ruger Speed Six revolvers a couple of weeks ago, I've been wanting one. Now I come across this thread and I want a bunch more! crazy
Posted By: bhemry Re: Snub nose .357 - 10/08/18
I had three .357's a couple years ago. A 10.5 oz scandium with the 1 7/8" barrel, brutal to shoot but nice to carry; a 3" Taurus 605 that I sold to my dad; and a 4.2" Ruger SP 101 which weighs 29.5 oz. The Ruger has the worst trigger pull by far, even after a couple thousand dry-fires plus some polishing internals, but is much more fun to shoot due to the extra weight and barrel length.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: Snub nose .357 - 10/08/18
Do y'all recommend wearing a welding helmet (auto darking) and welding gloves when shooting 125's out of a two inch barrel. LOL
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Snub nose .357 - 10/08/18
Originally Posted by viking
Do y'all recommend wearing a welding helmet (auto darking) and welding gloves when shooting 125's out of a two inch barrel. LOL

Sometimes it can be useful.

© 24hourcampfire