Posted By: boatboy Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
Just curious who here has a Les Baer or who has experiance with them

I have a chance to buy a Les Baer Custom Carry
its a 2017 less than 50 rds

I have always heard very good things

Opinions?

Hank
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18

I own 2 Les Baer’s both are Premiers ll’s and they are very accurate and reliable. Well fi
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
Les Baer 9mm custom carry - new - with 300 rounds of blazer brass shot through it so far with no mechanical issues.

I need a barrel bushing wrench to take the barrel bushing off, that thing is fitted tight.
Originally Posted by boatboy
Just curious who here has a Les Baer or who has experiance with them

I have a chance to buy a Les Baer Custom Carry
its a 2017 less than 50 rds

I have always heard very good things

Opinions?

Hank

Les Baers are great. Well worth the money. I had the SRP for about a decade, then sold it only because I don't much shoot 1911s anymore, and stopped carrying them years ago. But it was shot a good bit early on. Great trigger. Never any malfunctions.
Based on my experience with a LB UTC I would highly recommend his pistols. Tightly fitted, reliable, accurate, very good trigger and sights. No nonsense frills and worth the money.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
I bought my LB from Rockchucker here on the Campfire, it is indeed a Custom Carry, wonderfully accurate with anything I've fed it, function has been 100%, never a bobble or hiccup, I've named it 'The Old Man' and wear it to church with mom, or to town, a fine, fine pistol, the only thing I'd change if ordering new would be to 86 the ambi safety.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
I had a Baer for several years & they are a fine piece of work. Every part in the gun is given special attention of some sort. A well fitted machine.

All or most Baers have a 3" @ 50yds. accuracy guarantee, with a 1 1/2" guarantee as an extra cost upgrade. Chances are, with certain ammo, & a Ransom rest, the 3" guns will shoot a lot better.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
I have a LB Concept V . All SS with adjustable sights. It’s a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate and not a single malfunction. Everything is very tight fitting. Hasbeen
I have a LB Comanche Monolith that has never bobbled through probably 2k rounds. And as said above I still can’t get the bushing off without a wrench.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18
Originally Posted by gunner500
I bought my LB from Rockchucker here on the Campfire, it is indeed a Custom Carry, wonderfully accurate with anything I've fed it, function has been 100%, never a bobble or hiccup, I've named it 'The Old Man' and wear it to church with mom, or to town, a fine, fine pistol, the only thing I'd change if ordering new would be to 86 the ambi safety.

Now, now. Let's not get carried away. There are lefties in the room. smile
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/05/18

I like the ambidextrous safety, don’t you ever shoot with your weak hand?
Posted By: boatboy Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
Ok clearly this is worth owning
Just curious a fair price I think it's actually a food deal but

What would you pay for
But bought it from Les in 2017
He added a different trigger and hammer to make it diff
(To me that's chrome on a hog you wanted that but not adding value)
He has all the original stuff it has not been registered with Les
I think than they were 1975 say 2000. (In 2017)
Today they are 2170 I believe

He has less than a box of 50 rds thought it
He is building back some cash he did something pretty cool

Very nice young guy don't want to beat him up but want to be sure I am looking at a fair deal

What would you say is a fair deal for this gun?
Hank
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Now, now. Let's not get carried away. There are lefties in the room. smile

grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by jwp475

I like the ambidextrous safety, don’t you ever shoot with your weak hand?

Of course, but, thought is, if I'm forced to use my weak side due to the strong side being injured, I'm going to be running the hell out of the pistol, thumb safety be damned, if I'm alive, I'll use my left thumb to make the gun safe, which may also be a moot point as the gun will be locked back and I'll be outta "bullets" smile

OTOH, checking my chit regularly, I have noticed a couple times the thumb safety has been pushed off during daily carry, has never happened on my single side safety 1911's.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
I do not have a blue book of guns or anything, but I would think 1500 would be my price point for it...and if Baer did not put the new hammer and trigger in it, I would want to shoot it first to make sure it functions correctly. YMMV
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
I tried to save money by getting a used one. Never found any that much cheaper than new. I think a lot of people would love to find a bargain. A couple of hundred below new is probably what you will have to pay. Hasbeen
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
I can't imagine paying $2k for a gun from Less Baer and then pickering around with it.
That makes me nervous. I could wanting a different length trigger. But, if spending $2k,
I would have figured that out before I spent $$$.

Boatboy, I would use caution, the owner makes me wary.
I over think things, but he might be a tinkerer. I would hate
to see you drop that much coin on what should be a great gun,
and get a stepped on turd.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I can't imagine paying $2k for a gun from Less Baer and then pickering around with it.
That makes me nervous. I could wanting a different length trigger. But, if spending $2k,

This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: moosemike Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
I wish my 1911 had an ambi safety since I'm a southpaw.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18

This.

I have carried a SRP everyday for about ten years for one major reason - it is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned, more so than my Glock 19 or M&P.

They are reliable because they use known quality parts, which are handfitted by skilled craftsmen, not an amateur with a Dremel tool.

The hammer on a 1911 is more than cosmetic as it is the interface with the sear. The guy may have done nothing to the sear and hammer or he may have altered them, you will never know.

Baer will not work on a pistol that has been altered, so if it does not work correctly you are on your own.

Pass and don’t look back.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18

I have LB and don’t intend on making any changes. That being said almost anything made can be fine tuned.
I own a good number of S&W revolvers . Until this year had never removed the side plate on a single one. A friend of mine is a quite good pistol smith. I asked to show me how to clean and lube a revolver. With this he did , along with a lesson on how to improve the trigger. Am I a pistol smith. Not even close. But I think you might be surprised at the number of members of this forum tinker. Hasbeen
Posted By: boatboy Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/06/18
Honestly the advice about someone who tinkers with a 2000.00 pistol is VERY thought provoking

It was also my first thought and I think its prudent advice

It does really raise a flag

I appreciate the comments/advice

Hank
Posted By: RickyD Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/07/18
Honestly the advice about someone who tinkers with a 2000.00 pistol is VERY thought provoking

It was also my first thought and I think its prudent advice

It does really raise a flag

I appreciate the comments/advice

Hank

Could be just because he's young he changed the trigger and hammer out. I'd want to know if he did the work himself. If so, I'd walk. There's no need to change much of anything on a LB, unless it's something like it doesn't have night sights and you want those.
Then, it's going back to Les.

I have a Les Baer Premier II with the 1.5" guarantee. Actually, the little cardboard "target" is a good bit smaller than that. I'd like to take a few pointers from the guy that shot that group.

I've put about 500 rounds through it and it's still tighter as any "other" 1911 I've ever picked up and cycled.

When I got it I checked the safety several times to see if I was somehow engaging it. I couldn't get it open for a while and I don't consider myself weak. Les makes a good 1911.
Posted By: gmoats Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/08/18
...But bought it from Les in 2017
He has all the original stuff it has not been registered with Les…...
Hank

Just a word of caution Boatboy…….I've known Les since he was working out of his garage in Pennsylvania….Les is a friend of mine…….his guns are one of the best quality/price ratio guns that you can buy……know that Les does not tolerate anyone messing with his guns, even after they buy them!! After I retired the first time, I worked part time at a gunshop that was a Baer dealer. We had sold a gun to a young man that didn't like the trigger pull/reset/etc. and had replaced the sear and disconnector with parts that he'd bought on line. To no-one's surprise, except his……the hammer started to follow and he had a mess on his hands. He brought it back to us and asked us to call Les and ask him what to do about it as he didn't want to send it back and not have it for awhile. As my fellow employee explained the situation to Les on the phone and Les started yelling into the phone….."He replaced WHAT????? Buy that gun back from him I DON'T WANT HIM TO OWN ONE OF MY GUNS!!!" Therefore, as long as you get the original parts with the gun and the guy hasn't filed, welded, flitzed or permanently altered anything, you're ok----if so, all bets are off.

JMO-YMMV
Posted By: moosemike Re: Les Baer Custom Carry - 05/09/18
Originally Posted by gmoats
...But bought it from Les in 2017
He has all the original stuff it has not been registered with Les…...
Hank

Just a word of caution Boatboy…….I've known Les since he was working out of his garage in Pennsylvania….Les is a friend of mine…….his guns are one of the best quality/price ratio guns that you can buy……know that Les does not tolerate anyone messing with his guns, even after they buy them!! After I retired the first time, I worked part time at a gunshop that was a Baer dealer. We had sold a gun to a young man that didn't like the trigger pull/reset/etc. and had replaced the sear and disconnector with parts that he'd bought on line. To no-one's surprise, except his……the hammer started to follow and he had a mess on his hands. He brought it back to us and asked us to call Les and ask him what to do about it as he didn't want to send it back and not have it for awhile. As my fellow employee explained the situation to Les on the phone and Les started yelling into the phone….."He replaced WHAT????? Buy that gun back from him I DON'T WANT HIM TO OWN ONE OF MY GUNS!!!" Therefore, as long as you get the original parts with the gun and the guy hasn't filed, welded, flitzed or permanently altered anything, you're ok----if so, all bets are off.

JMO-YMMV

Well, did they buy the gun back from the guy? laugh
© 24hourcampfire