Home
How do I know nobody changed out any of the internals? Do police agencies generally bar that?

Link
Just called them, and they say that usually the internals are all original, but sometimes they may have aftermarket replacement parts. No guarantees on that.

I’d rather a Sig 320
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How do I know nobody changed out any of the internals? Do police agencies generally bar that?

Link

Why does it matter to you?
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Link

Why wouldn't it?

Glock's support for LE agencies is legendary, so I seriously doubt that any of them would use aftermarket parts. That said, I think it makes sense to re-spring any new-to-you Glock as a general rule. Those springs and the other Glock guts are pretty cheap and a good investment if you're worried about them. The only part other than springs that I'd worry about much is the connector, and I think those are about $7.

You can learn to detail strip a Glock on YouTube in about 10 minutes, and the only tool you need is a 16d nail.

It makes sense to order several sets of the parts you need from the same place to keep shipping down.

Okie John
You can check an armorer's parts list and learn the latest versions of the parts that should be in one. Most parts are numbered.
Highly unlikely but there might be some notch marks if they were keeping score....
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Link

Why wouldn't it?

Because it's a simple Glock. If you can't tear it apart and know exactly the quality of each piece (which doesn't have to be watch gear quality) to operate at least as well as OEM,then I would say that the Glock may be too much of a mystery for you.

In layman's terms,why not just replace anything suspect with good parts. It might cost $20,since they might have replaced some springs or transfer bar.
RH is right on. It's easy to tell aftermarket from factory Glock parts, and nobody in their right mind cares if an original Glock part was replaced with another OEM Glock part; they aren't collector pieces. Regardless, aftermarket parts for the most part aren't a big deal, anything you want to replace in a Glock is available as new OEM parts anyway.

Also, Recoil Gunworks has them for $319 (gen4 G22 with night sights). I have two of them in the safe right now; both were obviously carried a bunch but fired very little, as seems to be typical for the large percentage of police trade-ins.
Originally Posted by okie john

Glock's support for LE agencies is legendary, so I seriously doubt that any of them would use aftermarket parts. That said, I think it makes sense to re-spring any new-to-you Glock as a general rule. Those springs and the other Glock guts are pretty cheap and a good investment if you're worried about them. The only part other than springs that I'd worry about much is the connector, and I think those are about $7.

You can learn to detail strip a Glock on YouTube in about 10 minutes, and the only tool you need is a 16d nail.

It makes sense to order several sets of the parts you need from the same place to keep shipping down.

Okie John

Sounds like a plan. Yeah, I've got a few of those instructional videos bookmarked.
Originally Posted by krupp
Highly unlikely but there might be some notch marks if they were keeping score....

LOL.
The Real Hawkeye: The 1,100 man department I worked on for 29 years indeed did allow swapping out of some parts.
One instance was trigger springs on our Model 22's.
You had to serve a days extra training as I recall to qualify for a lighter trigger pull spring/part.
One of our two department armorers/range officers Glock 22's I ended up buying from that officers widow here a couple years ago.
I am not sure what all he changed/modified in his pistol but it is "slick"!
I wanted that pistol because he and I worked together in many squads and Hunted in Alaska, Montana, Washington, Wyoming and Idaho together - his sons divied up all his Hunting guns when he passed on and I wanted ONE of his many Glocks.
My own Glock Model 22 suited me just fine from day one (has night sights and three high capacity magazines) so no modifications wanted by me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
there is fixing to be a ton of them on the market. expect prices to drop on the 40's. I pitty the poor bastard that buys mine. free ammo, free range, and paid to shoot smile
Originally Posted by rockchucker
there is fixing to be a ton of them on the market. expect prices to drop on the 40's. I pitty the poor bastard that buys mine. free ammo, free range, and paid to shoot smile

Are you suggesting that they tend to be pretty shot out?

My nephew's been on the Phoenix PD for about two years now and says he only has about two thousand rounds through his Glock 22.
no not the average gun. some alot more then others. most just carried and qualified with

Are you suggesting that they tend to be pretty shot out?

My nephew's been on the Phoenix PD for about two years now and says he only has about two thousand rounds through his Glock 22.

I believe he's suggesting most that have .40s are likely going to 9s soon, thus the glut on the market.
. I pitty the poor bastard that buys mine.

I’d say the same about my 229, but nobody else will get it!

George
Tag
Hank
Originally Posted by boatboy
Tag
Hank

Why do you do this? So you can go back later and read the threads you tagged when you have more time?
People do it so they can go into their posts and catch up on the topics that interest them as the thread develops.

As far as used Glocks go you have zero concerns. Even if the frame is fugked Glock will fix it for free.

Factor in the already equipped NS and they’re a no brainer. And yes, you are about to see .40’s given away.
There's a bunch of G22's on the market here in WI, all trade in guns. The two I bought were straight factory parts, in good mechanical shape, and as nice looking as Glocks can be. They also carry much more nicely than the other .40 cal handgun in the house, though they won't beat the cool factor of a 7.5" New Service any time soon.
Originally Posted by deflave
People do it so they can go into their posts and catch up on the topics that interest them as the thread develops.

As far as used Glocks go you have zero concerns. Even if the frame is fugked Glock will fix it for free.

Factor in the already equipped NS and they’re a no brainer. And yes, you are about to see .40’s given away.

You think I should wait a while?
$350 is getting pretty low with NS’s but I bet they go sub-$299 if the market stays this way into 2019.

I think we’ll see other makes flooding the market too. Not just Glock. The .40 is getting dumped pretty fast.
$350 is getting pretty low with NS’s but I bet they go sub-$299 if the market stays this way into 2019.

I think we’ll see other makes flooding the market too. Not just Glock. The .40 is getting dumped pretty fast.

Only because agencies are switching to 9mm? Any other reasons added to that?

I've seen the Gen 3 Glock 22 police trade-ins going for $309.99. They list them as being in good condition.
If the guns shipped straight from a LE agency, the chances of getting one that's been tinkered with are pretty small.

Glock 22 police trade-ins. These are full size 40 cal Glocks. Comes with three 15rd mags and older night sights. $329.00

http://summitgunbroker.com/glock-22--309.html
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If the guns shipped straight from a LE agency, the chances of getting one that's been tinkered with are pretty small.

Glock 22 police trade-ins. These are full size 40 cal Glocks. Comes with three 15rd mags and older night sights. $329.00

Those are 3rd Gen, and they have four of them? Am I understanding that right? It's a little vague on that point.
All 3 sizes of Glock 40’s have been hitting the auctions here in Wisconsin and 300-350 with trijicon night sights seems to be the going rate no matter which size. And that’s gen 3 and gen 4. All the ones i’ve Seen were in what i’d Consider at least good condition.

It’s a no brainer to buy 1 or 2 at those prices just to have them.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Those are 3rd Gen, and they have four of them? Am I understanding that right? It's a little vague on that point.

Knowing Mark it's probably a typo. Just call him or email him if you have questions.
These folks seem to have the best price. Anyone have experience with them? Only one mag, where your friend gives three but, frankly, I'd rather buy my own new mags for it.
I’d rather have the two extra mags. They ain’t gonna be aftermarket.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yes. That’s about it.
i picked up a gen 3 glock 22 in the box, originally from a california agency a couple of years ago. Still had the factory gold colored grease in it. Doubt very much from looking at it that it was ever fired. I still haven't fired it.
These folks seem to have the best price. Anyone have experience with them? Only one mag, where your friend gives three but, frankly, I'd rather buy my own new mags for it.

A couple of guys I know via another forum have purchased from AIM and never complained afterward.
i have bought stuff off aim for quite a few years. long time ago, they screwed up on an order, result was i got a free gun.
I like them.
edited to add. not a big deal but often times these distributors get these guns in they get the mags too. separate them from the gun and sell separately which increases their return.

You may have missed my post above? For $10 more you could get a gen4 with night sights from Recoil, that's a better buy IMHO. Add an extra five mags for $50.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i picked up a gen 3 glock 22 in the box, originally from a california agency a couple of years ago. Still had the factory gold colored grease in it. Doubt very much from looking at it that it was ever fired. I still haven't fired it.

Sweet! Must have been in inventory when they switched to something else.
Originally Posted by Yondering

You may have missed my post above? For $10 more you could get a gen4 with night sights from Recoil, that's a better buy IMHO. Add an extra five mags for $50.

This is the best deal. I think that's the one.
Just saw a YouTube where a guy got one with a factory-installed NY Trigger. He had to switch it out.
There are too many available without it to bother with that schit.
Sounds like somebody added a second bathroom.
I'm gonna be the first Fire member to shake hands were th TRH.
There are too many available without it to bother with that schit.

Yeah, but it's a bit of a roulette game, because you don't know till after you've paid and taken deliver at the FFL. But likely, it's a small chance.
Any reputable dealer will let you know if it has the 12lb trigger.

Anything else that has been swapped is inconsequential.
My first Glock was a 22. Loved that gun, should have kept it.

[Linked Image]
I have bought at least a dozen police turn ins over the years and all but one were great deals. That one was a SIg 220 and what I didn't like was the trigger was the worst I have seen. It was a double action only which was long, gritty, and heavy- or seemed to be with the other issues. Other than that, it looked as if it just came from the factory with a slight sign of wear on the rails and the feed lips of the one magazine. The day after buying it I traded it off for $150 more than I paid. The majority have been Glocks, mostly in 40, that were priced low enough I couldn't refuse. I really do not care for their grip angle but for the price and all the aftermarket support I try to make it work.

49s are going cheap. I bought a turn in S&W M&P last year for $300 including night sights. A couple months ago I picked up another one except with the safety for $250. The first was little carried and used slightly more but this last one looks brand new. The first has a very nice trigger for a factory gun but the latter reminds me of the Sig. I won't feel bad replacing the trigger and adding a couple other accessories for the local action shooting league and the final cost won't be much more than having bought the pistol new.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Sweet! Must have been in inventory when they switched to something else.

i am sure that is what it is. they like to spend money on the latest and newest toy.
an agency in california dumped a bunch of m1a scout rifles over here. same story, you look in the fire control group still with the factory grease, and not a mark on them.
California has been doing that for years.
I have seen smith revolvers used on the university campus's sold over here too.
Just ordered one of these with the three pack of mags, which makes four mags total. Should be here by the end of the week. Hope it's nice and clean. Pretty good deal. Local pawn shop has a few used gen 3 Glock 22s that look like real beaters, and they're asking $450.00 for them, just one mag each.
Just saw a YouTube where a guy got one with a factory-installed NY Trigger. He had to switch it out.

Honestly, so what? A replacement trigger spring is only a couple bucks. You'd likely want to install an extra power trigger spring anyway, that's about $4 from Ghost.

Honestly, so what? A replacement trigger spring is only a couple bucks. You'd likely want to install an extra power trigger spring anyway, that's about $4 from Ghost.

True.
i have never been real high on the .40s&w round for a variety of reasons. But having said that, that is the barrel and caliber i have in my little glock right now.
one of the beauties of the 22 is the availability of different barrels and calibers you can put in it.
My baby glock as i call it has a replacement kkm barrel in .357sig, .40s&w, and 9mm.
As to the phoenix police department, i think at one time at least some were issuing glock 17's. many years ago one of them got in a shootout with some goofus at a shopping center near my house, dumped the magazine and as i remember didn't kill the guy.

not all officers are the same by the way. friend of mine use to teach classes to some of the valley departments. The conditions of the guns were almost unbelievably given how dirty they were,
I was having lunch one day with the firearms instructor for one of the valley's agencies, he was packing a first generation glock 9mm. I asked him about it. His comment was it was a perfectly aedequate bullet dispenser. Course he had a bias. He had a 10mm colt in the glove compartment and a .375H&H rifle in the trunk.
Ronin, are you carrying a 22, or a 27? The 22 is the full size, usually the "baby Glock" means the subcompact 26 or 27 (or now the 42 and 43).
Ronin, are you carrying a 22, or a 27? The 22 is the full size, usually the "baby Glock" means the subcompact 26 or 27 (or now the 42 and 43).

the one i call my baby glock originally was a model 33 in .357sig. right now it has a .40 barrel kkm in it.
My 23 also has a barsto 357sig barrel.
the 22 i have is still a factory barrel 40. It looks as if brand new and it came out of a california police department. I have had it for quite a while but never fired it. I want to get a kkm barrel for it, as i mostly shoot lead in them.
glocks are kind of neat to me because of all the switching around you can do.
As an example the uppers from a 20 and a 21 interchange easily just by switching the slide/barrel.
Came in today. I was very pleasantly surprised. Looks only very slightly used. Hardly looks carried much, even. I bet the cop was issued this gun just before they made the switch to 9mm. Nice deal for $320.00.

Also cool that the serial number ends in PD, which I assume means it was a police department purchase from Glock.

Serial numbers (barrel, slide, frame) all match.

Here's what was in the box when I opened it, to include all the paperwork that came with it originally.

Missing were the cleaning rod and brush, the loader, and the replacement backstraps, but I have a drawer full of all those things, LOL.

All parts seem to be original, and no NY trigger. Trigger pull is about like the one on my Model 17. Smooth trigger face, just like my 17.

[Linked Image]
Barrel looks like it's hardly been fired, and shiny clean inside.

[Linked Image]
Forgot to mention it came with Glock factory installed night sights that are still bright. I checked them next to those on my Glock 17 in total darkness, and I cannot tell the difference in brightness. That's a $100.00 value right there, all by itself, so the Glock by itself was gotten for $220, if you account for the price I would have had to pay to get factory installed Glock night sights. Unbelievable deal.

I'll head to Walmart this evening and pick up a few hundred rounds of .40 S&W and tomorrow morning, I'll head over to the range to give it a try.
i think you got a heck of a deal, particulary with the still functioning nightsights. You will enjoy it for sure. While it's never been an issue for me, one of the cons on the 40 is the "snap" when the round is fired. That long slide ought to mitigate that. the other issue with the 40 is from a reloading standpoint, it can be a problem if one is unaware. That caliber is sensitive to bullet setback, or seating bullets a little off from what's recomended. Pressure increases dramatically in the round.
I shot a lot of lead through the 40 glock before getting religion, never had a problem. But then i am anal about cleaning the firearm often and regularly and never firing a ton of lead without cleaning in between.
i might add i have loaded silvertips in 40 in the 155grain range to 1200fps which puts it in the 10mm camp with a little lighter bullet. thats what i have in my baby glock now.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the deal. These prices have to really piss off pawn shops that are trying to sell used Glock 22s for $450.00 often in much worse shape.

Followup: Why are agencies switching?

Question #2: What is typical lifespan of nightsights?

Mainly because the FBI did a study and decided to change, and that mainly because they needed a one-size-fits-all cartridge that works for the lowest common denominator, namely small framed female Special Agents. Police departments followed their lead, as they typically do.

I think they are said to be sufficiently bright for eight to twelve years, depending on an individual's criteria for sufficient brightness. Most makers will replace the tritium capsules for a small fee, though.
Thanks.
Thanks.

Except that the answer provided for #1 isn’t the actual answer for many Departments.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
Thanks.

Except that the answer provided for #1 isn’t the actual answer for many Departments.

George

Well, let’s hear the real scoop.
Yep. Do tell George.

Bender ,

It mostly has to do with the statistics that the FBI (yeah I know but the numbers don't lie) showing that absent a CNS hit, the "one stop shot" claims of the larger and snappier cartridges are not consistent.

Less recoil makes a good shooter Gooder.

Higher capacity is a huge plus. You'll see more cops carrying four mags on their belt than ever before.

Cost is huge. 9mm save a lot.

Last but not least the 40 hit its stride in the 90's and time has revealed a simple fact. One of the 40's greatest attributes are also one of its greatest problems. The 9mm frames die faster.

As far as tritium go, I have sets that are 10 years old and my eyes see them fine in low light.
The "small framed female" line is tiresome. Departments have to train thousands of new shooters and being a bleeder has nothing to do with shoot ability of a firearm.
Similarly, we’ve seen the price of 40 SW ammo fall as demand slumps.

Bender ,

It mostly has to do with the statistics that the FBI (yeah I know but the numbers don't lie) showing that absent a CNS hit, the "one stop shot" claims of the larger and snappier cartridges are not consistent.

Less recoil makes a good shooter Gooder.

Higher capacity is a huge plus. You'll see more cops carrying four mags on their belt than ever before.

Cost is huge. 9mm save a lot.

Last but not least the 40 hit its stride in the 90's and time has revealed a simple fact. One of the 40's greatest attributes are also one of its greatest problems. The 9mm frames die faster.

As far as tritium go, I have sets that are 10 years old and my eyes see them fine in low light.

Thanks, Trav.
I love cheap Glocks
I have an old gen 2 17 thatsI probably shoot more than anything else I have not cleaned it I want to see when it will stop

Recently bought a G2 21 and trying to do that also to it and I shoot pretty much all steel case ammo pick up is easy with a magnet

I bought a 19 quite a while ago Gen 3 and the safety was not functioning properly called Glock they took care of it like champs

I think those 22s are a bargin
Hank
They are Hank. Great bargain. And I think the .40 is a great round for bumming the woods.
Originally Posted by NH K9
Thanks.

George

Well, let’s hear the real scoop.

Travis hit the highpoint, but left the big one too far down: Budget!

Most Chiefs don't GAF about "what the FBI is doing", it's all bottom line.

George

(sorry for the delay:in Scotland and only checking in on downtime with Wi-Fi)
I commented on cost.
I commented on cost.

I stipulated to that! smile

It was just too far down the list, in my experience.

George
GFY
Florida has made you soft!

Old 'Flave would have led his first response with that!
I've been sleeping until 9a so there may be something to your theory.
I've been sleeping until 9a so there may be something to your theory.

You down near Ft Lauderdale?
Miramar.
Miramar.

The Benihana in Ft. Lauderdale is great.
Just that one? There is one about a half mile from me.
Just that one? There is one about a half mile from me.

Lucky you. Love that place.
© 24hourcampfire