Home
It might be the only high quality piece they make. Likely because they just continued making them the way they were made when the factory belonged to Beretta. Being the only gun they make that they have world-wide military contracts for also likely helps.
Why does anyone care what he thinks? He takes 30 minutes to deliver 2 minutes of information. He's almost British that way.
He did an excellent review of the Taurus millennium PT111G2, which I happen to like.
https://youtu.be/MH3tJrK2ma4
Are there guns that he’s given bad reviews for?
Hell I've had Taurus 92 side-by-side the Berettas's hate to tell you every time the Taurus outshot the Beretta.
Originally Posted by dla
Why does anyone care what he thinks?

I don't think anyone considers him a guru, but if you follow him, and tend to agree with him more than not, then you might find what he has to say about a particular handgun interesting. If not, then why bother commenting, unless you state a reason for not giving any weight to what he has to say about a handgun?
HickCOCK an expert at nothing.
But he shoots fairly well.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Uhhhhhh..... maybe if you’re blind and retarded.
Originally Posted by deflave

You have to admit, his ability to control recoil is better than most.
If the man would buy a Ransom Rest and a trigger pull gauge and then post those results rather than just blast away at stuff.... I'd be more interested. I might even listen to a little of his talking.... not all of it but maybe some.
He is one fine fella. You need to know him personally.

Good for guns.
I don't dislike Hickok, but I don't credit him with any real "expertise" either. If I recall correctly he is a retired schoolteacher. I don't think Hickok claims any expertise, which is good on him. If I watch a video of his it's mostly to view the gun being discussed and for fun, not education. Hickok rambles too much, often there's little real informational content, his experience and training level using defensive arms is questionable to me so his opinion regarding that aspect isn't important. All that said, he seems a nice guy that enjoys shooting and I'm fine with his videos on that level. His son is the one that I don't care for. Dude needs a haircut and a real job. I could care less what the kid has to say about a particular gun being reviewed.

Well, the retarded part you have displayed numerous times on this forum.
Originally Posted by MOGC
I don't dislike Hickok, but I don't credit him with any real "expertise" either. If I recall correctly he is a retired schoolteacher. I don't think Hickok claims any expertise, which is good on him. If I watch a video of his it's mostly to view the gun being discussed and for fun, not education. Hickok rambles too much, often there's little real informational content, his experience and training level using defensive arms is questionable to me so his opinion regarding that aspect isn't important. All that said, he seems a nice guy that enjoys shooting and I'm fine with his videos on that level. His son is the one that I don't care for. Dude needs a haircut and a real job. I could care less what the kid has to say about a particular gun being reviewed.

John, his son, has recently gotten a very short haircut.

Well, the retarded part you have displayed numerous times on this forum.

Yet I shoot better than most.

Teaching is a skill in and of itself and Hickock is a teacher. It requires an adequate command of the subject matter combined with skills at imparting it, most of which can be taught and some of which seems inborn. There is no doubt that the best teachers have skills that are God-given and couldn't be taught.

All that said, I like Hickock but am not a huge fan. He's a good 'ol boy that has some fun with guns and imparts some stuff along the way. What's not to like? Some of his politics aren't mine and he is not way up on the expert scale. I'd give him a six out of ten rating.

He did several extensive testings of the Judge and still missed the boat.
Guess I needed to be more specific for Ethan. What I mean is, I don't credit him with any real expertise regarding firearms. His profession was teaching, not the use of firearms. Not a ding on teachers, I respect and appreciate a good teacher. Better?
Originally Posted by kellory
He did an excellent review of the Taurus millennium PT111G2, which I happen to like.
https://youtu.be/MH3tJrK2ma4

Best $200.00 new gun I ever bought and the only one, but it is a good piece.
Guess I needed to be more specific for Ethan. What I mean is, I don't credit him with any real expertise regarding firearms. His profession was teaching, not the use of firearms. Not a ding on teachers, I respect and appreciate a good teacher. Better?

He has an extensive background in combat-style competitive shooting. He was also a deputy sheriff for a while. He rarely toots his own horn, though.
He's a simple guy doing simple stuff. I like that.

My son-in-law owns a Taurus 92 I borrow now & then & I find no fault other than it's a little large for my hand.
i bought a taurus 92 when they first started coming into the country, doesn't have a decocker among other things. I have fired thousands of rounds through it without issue. I have a beretta brigadeer too for comparison.
As to hickok, I like him. He kind of wanders, is a pretty good shooter, but he does profile a lot of different firearms. I have heard him say he isn't an expert either, on some of them. Which is true, because milsurp being my thing, i am certainly a lot more familar than him on garands, carbines, 1911's and the like. So what? He is not teaching self defense classes. But i get a pretty good idea from his messing with them as to what i like and don't like.
Interesting i just bought a mossberg shockwave off an email solicitation, and watched him preview it before i did agree to buy it. If one doesn't like his spiel nothing says you have to watch it. There are plenty of people who do like his spiel.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i bought a taurus 92 when they first started coming into the country, doesn't have a decocker among other things. I have fired thousands of rounds through it without issue. I have a beretta brigadeer too for comparison.
As to hickok, I like him. He kind of wanders, is a pretty good shooter, but he does profile a lot of different firearms. I have heard him say he isn't an expert either, on some of them. Which is true, because milsurp being my thing, i am certainly a lot more familar than him on garands, carbines, 1911's and the like. So what? He is not teaching self defense classes. But i get a pretty good idea from his messing with them as to what i like and don't like.
Interesting i just bought a mossberg shockwave off an email solicitation, and watched him preview it before i did agree to buy it. If one doesn't like his spiel nothing says you have to watch it. There are plenty of people who do like his spiel.

Exactly.

There are also plenty of people that feel Titanic is the greatest film ever made.

They’re called morons.

There are also plenty of people that feel Titanic is the greatest film ever made.

They’re called morons.

So....what was your favorite scene in Titanic? wink
one of the things i like is that shooting range of his. I use to love going to the desert to set up a similar range. I have one of the better ranges in the country, ben avery, about 20minutes from my house but i have always preferred banging away at things like he does in his videos.
My problem these days is due to fire restrictions/annexation around the cities, it's hard to find any open country left you cant shoot in.
Thinking of taurus again, i have a hipower made at the same place. It's a well made piece too.
not all of us are of the exhalted status of some posters on here, that know more about firearms than most anybody else, and are of course world class shooters fully aware of the intimate workings of all kinds of firearms. And their usage in all types of disciplines.
Hickok is a teacher in his video's and i think a big help to a lot of people.
Originally Posted by kellory

They’re called morons.

So....what was your favorite scene in Titanic? wink

The ending credits.
Man you guys are rough.

He's a good guy making videos about guns. That's something we should support. I've only watched a few of his videos but I never heard him claim to be an expert on anything. He just showed the gun an did some shooting.

Everyone must be jealous of his range I guess.

-Jake

later 92's have a decocker,
Hickock can be entertaining, and somewhat informative.
He's reasonably amusing and doesn't have too much disinformation. In the YouTube world that amounts to high praise. For a teacher he is not very concise nor organized. Paul Harrell does a much better job at the same sort of thing.
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Man you guys are rough.

He's a good guy making videos about guns. That's something we should support. I've only watched a few of his videos but I never heard him claim to be an expert on anything. He just showed the gun an did some shooting.

Everyone must be jealous of his range I guess.

-Jake

THis!!! Bunch of keyboard commandos who wish they had the time, the guns and the environment. Good on old Hickok. Normally when he shoots he hits and often he does it pretty quickly.
To rate my time you gotta be funny or informative or both.

He none of the above.
Originally Posted by Youper
He's reasonably amusing and doesn't have too much disinformation. In the YouTube world that amounts to high praise. For a teacher he is not very concise nor organized. Paul Harrell does a much better job at the same sort of thing.

Harrell is a completely different type of presenter, and valuable in his own right. He's super organized in his presentations, and I think every word he utters is planned in advance.
well one thing for sure. He gets a lot of hits on his video's. And i don't know what he gets paid through youtube for that, but i suspect it buys more that the breakfast cereal. And yeah i would love to have his range out my back door. That is just the type of shooting i like to do.

there are two or three i like, one i think is called forgotten weapons, hickok is another, then paul to some extent.
See how "short" John is wearing his hair now? LOL.

He's got a few Colts also.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Harrell is a completely different type of presenter, and valuable in his own right. He's super organized in his presentations, and I think every word he utters is planned in advance.

I value the organization and planning.

I value the organization and planning.

Like I say, two different styles completely, but both have merit.
Why do you guy's comment on his son's hair?
Why do you guy's comment on his son's hair?

Someone indicated he was offended by his long hair. Something about needing a haircut. So I pointed out that the way he has it now, he couldn't cut it any shorter, i.e., shaved head.
Probably because I said I didn't care for the son. I think I said something about the kid needed a hair cut and a real job.

Edit: Never "offended."
I never saw the movie "Titanic." A friend spoiled the ending for me...
I watch Paul Harrell for solid information. Hickok45 because he reviews a lot of guns I happen to be interested in. And Yankee Marshal just for a good laugh.
Hickok45's main job is to be an Ambassador of the Gun Culture. He's good at it and we need as many of them as we can get.
To rate my time you gotta be funny or informative or both.

He none of the above.

For someone that can make it play-by-play move on their residential move across the country has nothing but time
HickCOCK an expert at nothing.

I’ve had multiple conversations with him and his lack of cartridge knowledge/ballistics is evident.

On the flip side, he’s a pretty decent shot.
He none of the above.

Was English your first language?
It might be the only high quality piece they make. Likely because they just continued making them the way they were made when the factory belonged to Beretta. Being the only gun they make that they have world-wide military contracts for also likely helps.

You're right, that's really the best gun they make & they've been doing it for a long time.

Everything else they make ranges from pretty bad to marginally decent.

As for Hickok, he's just kind of a dick & I never pay any attention to him at all.

MM

Hickock knows how to smoke some pot!
Originally Posted by ironbender

Hickock knows how to smoke some pot!

Yep. He smokes them with a .38, a 9mm, a .44, a .45, .50, and shotguns. He pretty much smokes whatever he shoots at.
The Taurus 92 has changed a good deal over the decades. They added the safety/decocker system that was later copied by H&K. A bit over a decade ago, they went to MIM for internal parts, but that doesn't seem to have affected the pistol one bit. The 92 remains a VERY good pistol. They are completely reliable, most tend to be a touch more accurate than their Beretta counterparts, and workmanship is very good. I wouldn't hesitate to protect my home with one if I had nothing else.

Now all that said, it is NOT the equal of the Beretta. The Taurus hasn't adopted the changes that Beretta has made. The frame is 6 series aluminum vs. 7 series for the Beretta...While the 7 series is technically "better", there has never been frame longevity issues with that design, regardless of the metal used. The slide retention system is lacking on the Taurus, and the Taurus used the older style locking block. This is only an issue if you plan on putting over 40k rounds of NATO pressure ammunition. The Beretta locking block can be put into the Taurus though, which is nice.

I would put a Taurus 92 as a first rate "B" quality pistol. Not world class, but not too far off.
© 24hourcampfire