Home
Posted By: EdM The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
My son recently bought a 3" Pro-Series M60 and took it out yesterday for the first time. Shooting factory 38 Special +P's the lock partially engaged on round 15 disabling the gun. When he bought it a week ago I sent him a link for "The Plug". One is en route.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18

Glad you sent him the information on the plug. Yes it still happens. Sounds like he needs to pull the lock, before he get's the plug. smile Those are nice guns though.
Posted By: deflave Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Yousa.

Never seen one lock. That sucks.
Posted By: RJM Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
One of the posters over on the S&W Forums reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago with one of his newly purchased J-frames...

I have close to 50 Smiths...only two have a lock, a 686-7 .38 Super and a 4" 500. Only have them because they never made those models without a lock. Both still have the IL in them but they are just "range guns". If I was ever going to carry them the IL would be removed.

If someone ever gets into a defensive situation and has a gun with an IL lock on them, they will own S&W as they know about the problem and refuse to address it....

Bib
Posted By: Savuti Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
And if you start a thread about lock problems on the S&W forum you will be ostracized and the thread will be locked or deleted.
They don't want to hear it!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
I have several J Frame Smiths with the lock. For me, it's a non issue. Many rounds through a number of different revolvers with no issues.
Posted By: centershot Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have several J Frame Smiths with the lock. For me, it's a non issue. Many rounds through a number of different revolvers with no issues.

Same here. Would rather the lock not be there, but it is, and they are still much better than Rugers.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Mannlicher & EdM: I recently returned from a sojourn south thru Idaho and to Utah.
EVERY Smith & Wesson revolver I saw, in every retail store I stopped at, was displayed with the dreaded "J"lock/hildabeast lock hidden (on the bottom side of the lying down gun)!
EVER ONE... and I bet I saw nearly 200 of them!
The word is getting out and about, that the dufus "J"lock/hildabeast lock has greatly diminished new Smith & Wesson revolver sales and has severely harmed resale values of "J"lock/hildabeast lock equipped guns!
Sad, and stupid, this.
I have NO idea what Smith & Wesson was/is thinking.
Took the VarmintGrandkids through Ennis, Montana just yesterday and I made a quick gun shop stop - a Smith & Wesson Model 48 with the dreaded "J"lock/hildabeast lock that I have been watching for well over a year now is still there in the display case!
Sad this.
If that pistol would not have been afflicted with the "J"lock/hildabeast lock it would have sold in less than a week - I am certain of that.
I don't need to know the stats on how often the "J"lock/hildabeast lock fails - I have never, and will never, buy a Smith & Wesson so afflicted.
Sorry mistake by the Smith & Wesson folks - they would do well by their company and their investors to realize their mistake and correct it.
Remington did.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by EdM
My son recently bought a 3" Pro-Series M60 and took it out yesterday for the first time. Shooting factory 38 Special +P's the lock partially engaged on round 15 disabling the gun. When he bought it a week ago I sent him a link for "The Plug". One is en route.

Yeah, if you're going to support S&W's choice to add these by buying them (They still offer models without the lock), then you should immediately disable it. They're needless accidents waiting to happen, otherwise.

Would you buy a fire extinguisher with a key lock on it?
Posted By: ronc Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by deflave
Yousa.

That's what Miculek said.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
They can keep their locks and every gun they make with them!
Posted By: ronc Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
Originally Posted by winchester70
They can keep their locks and every gun they make with them!

Yep, they suck.
Posted By: smokinggun Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18
S&W Internal Lock = Hillary Hole.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: The S&W Lock - 07/30/18

I have a Scandia frame 4” in 41 mag and the lock will Tye the revolver up every time I shot it Fast double action. I removed the internal lock and no more problems.
Posted By: EdM Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
For those that are not aware.

https://www.originalprecision.com/
Posted By: pabucktail Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by Savuti
And if you start a thread about lock problems on the S&W forum you will be ostracized and the thread will be locked or deleted.

Isn't that one of the sites which was recently outed as being owned by anti-gunners? Somebody help me, there was a whole list of them we talked about on here.
Posted By: Gibby Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
I have two with the lock. A Model 60 3" and a 686 Plus. Both .357's . They both have been shot a lot.

Never had a problem.

I would prefer them not to have the lock, but I do not loose any sleep over it.

Like someone else said, they still are better than any Ruger. (at least when it comes to the trigger)

Note: I shoot only midrange loads in the Model 60.
Posted By: RJM Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Funny but all my new gun DA-revolver money over the last 5+ years has gone to Ruger...

LCR 9mm
LCR .327
GP-100 Match Champion 10mm
Redhawk 4.2" .41 Magnum
Redhawk 2.75" .41 Magnum

The triggers on the two LCRs have a lighter pull and shorter stroke that any S&W J-frame...the grips is also a lot more handfilling and comfortable than most Smiths...

The MC, while not quite as smooth as a stock older GP-100 .357 I have, is just as good as any L-frame I've shot outside a Performance Center gun...

The 4.2" RH has one of the most controllable DA triggers that I have ever shot on any large frame Magnum DA revolver. I shot my smallest 6 shot 50 yard DA group with that gun...

Have to admit I am not happy with the shorter RH. The DA is smooth but breaks late and has a tendency to pinch my trigger finger if I am not careful...

Ruger also supports my favorite calibers... .41 Magnum, 10mm, 9mm and .327...and S&W...one blue .41 Magnum that if you rub the bluing with Hoppe's No. 9 the finish comes off....

They won't be getting any of my new gun money any time soon....

Bob
Posted By: RJM Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
...and a question...how come there are now J-frames without the IL?

Can you imagine how many more guns from their "Classic" series Smith would have sold if they had left the IL out...
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by Gibby
I have two with the lock. A Model 60 3" and a 686 Plus. Both .357's . They both have been shot a lot.

Never had a problem.

Like someone else said, they still are better than any Ruger. (at least when it comes to the trigger)

Most of the time when it's reported that one locked up while shooting it's been either a scandium or aluminum framed gun shooting a hard kicking round.
Originally Posted by RJM
...and a question...how come there are now J-frames without the IL?

Can you imagine how many more guns from their "Classic" series Smith would have sold if they had left the IL out...

Exactly.

Their justification for offering some J-Frames without is because they are hammerless (fully enclosed hammer, DAO), and the hammerless feature is thought by their attorneys to be enough of a safety in itself to justify leaving off the key lock feature.

As soon as I recently discovered that the 442 was still offered without the key lock, I purchased one, and wouldn't have had they not offered it that way. Yes, imagine indeed how many more sales they'd have if they stopped adding that feature to their line of revolvers.
Posted By: Gibby Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Gibby

Never had a problem.

Most of the time when it's reported that one locked up while shooting it's been either a scandium or aluminum framed gun shooting a hard kicking round.

That is what I have heard too.
Posted By: gunzo Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Taffin has written a few times that the lock was here to stay. I wasn't going away. Get used to it. Get over it.

Yet S&W makes a few models without the lock as has been mentioned, called a pro series, j frames with no lock. Remington totally did away with their damn J lock. Springfield Armory was locking 1911's, they stopped doing it. Ruger did it for only a short time & stopped. It can go away.

Why can't S&W just go on & be done with it? It makes no sense. Who is going to complain that isn't already complaining about guns in general? Their customers, & maybe some returning customers would dance in the street.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by gunzo
Taffin has written a few times that the lock was here to stay. I wasn't going away. Get used to it. Get over it.

Yet S&W makes a few models without the lock as has been mentioned, called a pro series, j frames with no lock. Remington totally did away with their damn J lock. Springfield Armory was locking 1911's, they stopped doing it. Ruger did it for only a short time & stopped. It can go away.

Why can't S&W just go on & be done with it? It makes no sense. Who is going to complain that isn't already complaining about guns in general? Their customers, & maybe some returning customers would dance in the street.

If S&W did away with a "safety feature" and someone's child got their hands on that newer, less safe pistol and killed themselves or another child, it would be a slam dunk for a multi-million dollar settlement for any sleazy lawyer.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Ruger includes highly collectible padlocks and accompanying cable as needed with every one of their firearms, along with instructions for use. I'd buy a S&W with no internal lock if it had a padlock with the S&W logo on it...
Posted By: RufusG Re: The S&W Lock - 07/31/18
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Ruger includes highly collectible padlocks and accompanying cable ...

Get the complete set!
Originally Posted by RufusG

Get the complete set!

I've got a drawer in my dresser jam packed with, in original wrapper, cable padlocks, bearing names of various gun manufacturers. LOL. One day I'll cash in big with this vast collection of gun company logo-bearing cable locks.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: The S&W Lock - 08/01/18
Originally Posted by RufusG

Get the complete set!

grin I'm workin' on it!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The S&W Lock - 08/02/18
I don’t like, or use locks. My handguns stay in their boxes, locked in one of the sales.
Posted By: EdM Re: The S&W Lock - 08/03/18
I don’t like, or use locks. My handguns stay in their boxes, locked in one of the sales.

And contain a lock that has been demonstrated to tie up the revolver, over and over...
Posted By: johnw Re: The S&W Lock - 08/05/18
I currently own 2 S&W revolvers. Both made in the 1970s.

The lust for anything newer just isn't there...

I see and enjoy all of the cool photos various guys post. But I'm good with what I got.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The S&W Lock - 08/05/18
If it never locked up would your son have installed the PLUG? If not, why even order the plug?

You can remove the internal lock but still leave the key in place. Gun will look no different externally.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The S&W Lock - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If it never locked up would your son have installed the PLUG? If not, why even order the plug?

You can remove the internal lock but still leave the key in place. Gun will look no different externally.

i have one smith with the keylock. I removed the internal, and that solved the potential problem on a 29.
Posted By: Trumpster Re: The S&W Lock - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by ronc
Originally Posted by deflave
Yousa.

That's what Miculek said.

What did you think Miculek would say?

Was he truthful or loyal to the company that cuts him a paycheck?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: The S&W Lock - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by Savuti

I don’t still use the words to describe the idiots that run that board.
© 24hourcampfire