Home
any suggestions? Its the current model 629-6 with a 4 inch barrel.
A couple possibilities:

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...-k-l-n-frame-scope-mount-prod120980.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...w-k-l-n-frame-scope-mount-prod26011.aspx

But mainly I would question why one would put one on a 4" S&W? 7" or more, I can see it...

Anyhoo - Weigand Combat makes pretty good stuff..
good question, and the answer is presbyopia!
Religious thing huh?
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. Y’all like the vortex viper? I am thinking 3MOA dot.
I shoot with a guy that just had red dots mounted on several of his revolvers, even a S&W 43c which is a snub nosed DAO 22. We shot a match this weekend (pocket gun concealed carry match) and he shot 2 entries, one with a red dot, the other just like it but with irons. Irons, he got 21 A zone hits, red dot he got 33 A zone hits if I'm remembering correctly. It certainly makes a difference to a guy that just can't see the front sight.

I have an RMR with the 3.5 MOA dot that I like really well and I have a JPoint with an 8 MOA dot on my steel challenge gun. Bigger dot isn't really any faster that I can tell but the RMR has a bright red dot where the JPoint is more of an orange dot. My 629 Mountain gun is drilled and tapped but as long as I can see the Dawson FO front sight, I'll stay with it but it has crossed my mind.
Oh crap! I like that mini mount!!!
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. .
Makes perfect sense... I'm in the same boat and have red dots mounted on three handguns, but all are with longer barrels.. It was the short barrel you have that caused the question..
I have a Burris FF on a M69 4.2 inch mounted on just a Weaver base and so far it is good to go. They make the same for a M629.
Sometimes simple is so nice.
This might be of interest:

AllchinGunParts
Smith & Wesson Mini STS Scope Mount

https://www.allchingunparts.com/col...ts/smith-wesson-mini-sts-scope-mount-new

Picture of my N Frame with the above -- should work fine any recent 4" S&W drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

[Linked Image]

Paul
Originally Posted by Redneck
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. .
Makes perfect sense... I'm in the same boat and have red dots mounted on three handguns, but all are with longer barrels.. It was the short barrel you have that caused the question..

The red dot takes sight radius out of the picture, so it doesn't really matter what the barrel length is other than velocity and how it feels in recoil. if anything, one can argue there's more advantage using the red dot on a short barrel to work around that short sight radius.

Short barrels can do just as well at distance as long barrels, especially when sight radius is not part of the equation.
Paul, good information. I like that mount.
Just curious... did you try to get a prescription for shooting glasses at that length? Not sure how your distance is but you can bifocal it as well. A lot more scopes and dots are going on mine. Even did a Glock 35 MOS for deer.
I’m pretty sure Trigicon makes an RMR mount for S&W revolvers
I have the Vortex mounted on a GP-100 with a stupid looking mount. I like it a lot for hunting. I just bought a Burris Fast Fire 3, 3MOA for my S&W model 69. It's even a little smaller. I'm going to use a Raptor Engineering mount as soon as it hits the mailbox. Should be lighter and cleaner looking all around. I just hope the Burris holds up to a life of shooting "300grs of fury."

PS... I really like that Freedom Arms.
Originally Posted by TWR
I shoot with a guy that just had red dots mounted on several of his revolvers, even a S&W 43c which is a snub nosed DAO 22. We shot a match this weekend (pocket gun concealed carry match) and he shot 2 entries, one with a red dot, the other just like it but with irons. Irons, he got 21 A zone hits, red dot he got 33 A zone hits if I'm remembering correctly. It certainly makes a difference to a guy that just can't see the front sight.

I have an RMR with the 3.5 MOA dot that I like really well and I have a JPoint with an 8 MOA dot on my steel challenge gun. Bigger dot isn't really any faster that I can tell but the RMR has a bright red dot where the JPoint is more of an orange dot. My 629 Mountain gun is drilled and tapped but as long as I can see the Dawson FO front sight, I'll stay with it but it has crossed my mind.

I've seen women who have never shot a handgun go from barely hitting the paper with open sights go to decent 2" groups with a red dot on a .22.

Her BF came down to my lane and asked if I could help his GF.

I went down and helped her a little with trigger control and basic hold and importance of the front sight.

She got most on the paper after that and on a hunch I went back to my bench and got my Ruger Mark II with a first generation Holosight on it and she shot so much better she was very excited.

She asked him why he didn't have a gun like that. It's hard to make women happy.
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. Y’all like the vortex viper? I am thinking 3MOA dot.

I have a Leupold Delta Point Pro I like on a Glock 40.

[Linked Image]

Weigand makes a small mount that I use on a 5" M29.

Was using it today, and shot a couple quick groups @100 yards using Idaho 1945s powder coated cast bullets.

This one went into 4"s

[Linked Image]

While adjusting the sights, had one "fluke" group sneak in there. Those are the kind that people claim they can do "all day" crazy

[Linked Image]

Personally I am happy with 4"s at 100 yards. That will do for Muleys or elk or coyotes.
I have a JP and mount on my S&W PC 629 Light Hunter. Works a charm. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-SWR
How much adjustment does the JP have?
© 24hourcampfire