Home
Posted By: bamagun01 Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
So I finally purchased a Leupold 2.5x8x32 handgun scope. (One I thought I always wanted). Tonight when I tried to mount it on my handgun, my rings are too small and scope sits on the iron sights of my handgun. I’m shooting a Ruger Redhawk 44mag with 7 1/2” barrel. What rings do I need to purchase and where do I find them. I only have the original Ruger rings.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
I believe the rings you need are the same ones used on the rifles. So you should only have to buy one ring. What numbers are on your rings now?
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
Is this a Redhawk or a Super Redhawk?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
7.5" and hitting "sights" plural, I'm guessing a regular Redhawk w bbl mounted rings (scope then long enough to be in contact w front and rear sight).
Dunno what # the factory rings are. Suppose there's a higher one available.
New version rings are marked w a number.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
Can you slide the scope fwd and get it off the rear sight and just pop out the front?
Think somebody makes a filler for the slot (make it pretty when front sight removed).
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/04/18
Redhawk. Check rings later. The scope for s the length of the gun. I’ll have to remove sights.
No number on the rings. Scope measures 9 1/2”. Gun from tip of barrel to rear sights is 9 3/4”.
Originally Posted by hookeye
7.5" and hitting "sights" plural, I'm guessing a regular Redhawk w bbl mounted rings (scope then long enough to be in contact w front and rear sight).
Dunno what # the factory rings are. Suppose there's a higher one available.
New version rings are marked w a number.

All correct! Looks like the front sight will have to removed and higher rings for certain.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/05/18
Many years ago I had to get some higher rings for a Ruger. Called Ruger to buy them and they told me just to ship the ones back that came with the gun and they exchanged them since it was new. Don't know if that is regular practice or if I just caught someone on a good day.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/05/18
Originally Posted by dave284
Many years ago I had to get some higher rings for a Ruger. Called Ruger to buy them and they told me just to ship the ones back that came with the gun and they exchanged them since it was new. Don't know if that is regular practice or if I just caught someone on a good day.

Wow!
Posted By: Lennie Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/05/18

Ruger will always do this if the original rings are new.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/05/18
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I believe the rings you need are the same ones used on the rifles. So you should only have to buy one ring. What numbers are on your rings now?

Yes - and no.

The Redhawk barrel ring bases are the same size as the Ruger bolt rifle ring bases, but the Redhawk bases are same plane - both rings will be the same height, the rifle rings will usually be two heights.

Last set of Redhawk rings I had were number #4s, IIRC.

Any quality Ruger compatible rings set would work - I've used Talley highs on a Redhawk before, but I don't remember if I had to take the front sight out.
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: Rings for Ruger Redhawk - 12/08/18
Originally Posted by bamagun01

Wow!

Ruger will fit you up. But rings can be too close together that some red dots and scopes will not fit. Scopes are made all different today and some will not fit all guns. Some are so short they can't fit rings and some have turrets so long they can't fit either.
The solution is a Weigand base. I have a Burris base on my SBH and need extension rings to get anything on it. The Weigand will take any Weaver rings of any height.
© 24hourcampfire