Home
Posted By: FieldGrade This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
I've been looking at getting a new Blackhawk for a while now but like everything I think it to death before finally making a decision. I started out looking for a Bisley framed low recoiling rig but Mackay got me interested in his regular framed 45LC/45ACP convertible so I started kicking that idea around until I stumbled on a 4.5" Bisley 44 Specil for about $60 less than about 25 others I had looked at so I quit himming and hawing and bought the dam thing.

It showed up today and boy am I happy with my decision. It shipped so fast I haven't even had time to get any ammo but I'll take care of that when I go to town of Mon. I'm hoping I can find some low recoil Cowboy Action loads.

[Linked Image]

It looks right at home with my other single action Ruger's too.

[Linked Image]

I'll only use it for target practice but I ordered Bianchi 1L Lawman holster for it in case I want to take it fishing or camping. I'll post a pic when it gets here.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Congrats, now that's a sweet 44 special, and fine addition to your collection. Enjoy that Bisley !
Posted By: skeen Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Nice!
Posted By: MOGC Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Good choice!
Posted By: JLimbo Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Damn FG. I'd almost forgotten the pristine 32 H&R Mag single six Bisley that's local.

May have to visit it again and fondle. Give me strength.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Sweet!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by MOGC
Good choice!

Thanks GC..You know I value your opinion.

Even though it's not old I like the Bisly/Flat Top design.

I guess it's another one of the runs Ruger did for Lipseys.

My little Bear Cat Shopkeeper is one of Lipseys brain storms too.....Lipseys has good taste.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Very nice.
Posted By: johnw Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
As cool as it gets, FG.

the little Bearcat looks like a load of fun...
Posted By: gunzo Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
I have a lot of choices but my 44 special flattop gets used more than the rest. The Skeeter load is scary accurate in mine, but I cast & use a lighter bullet to save lead for just when I'm plinking.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
NICE! I bought a little flat top 44 Special here a few years ago, loaded 275gr LBTGC's to an easy 1000 fps, what a fun and accurate load, another whiner buddy bought it before hunting season opened so I could try it out, he hunts hogs with dogs, has already shot, or put kill shots on better then 30 hogs with that load, no bullet recoveries yet! smile
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! I bought a little flat top 44 Special here a few years ago, loaded 275gr LBTGC's to an easy 1000 fps, what a fun and accurate load, another whiner buddy bought it before hunting season opened so I could try it out, he hunts hogs with dogs, has already shot, or put kill shots on better then 30 hogs with that load, no bullet recoveries yet! smile

LBTGC bullets... Had to giggle at that because I pictured some rainbow dressed gender bender passing out cold reading that. smile
Posted By: g5m Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Very nice!
Originally Posted by johnw
As cool as it gets, FG.

the little Bearcat looks like a load of fun...

It definitely wasn't designed with any long range shooting in mind but it's butt load of fun at 7yrds.

I've been using it on my trap line this year....handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Posted By: johnw Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/14/18
Never used a Bisley, and I'm thinking i oughtta further my education...
You're never too old to learn.

It sure feels good in the hand......hope I'm still of that opinion after running a few round through it.
Some 240 - 250 gr. cast at 850 - 950 fps should be a lot of fun and still plenty effective on most critters. My guess is you will really enjoy the Bisley.
Took your advise and ordered 2 boxes of HSM 240gr hard cast.....850 fps. Magtech makes a 240gr hard cast at 750fps but I don't think 850 will be that much more recoil and I've had good luck with HSM ammo in the past.

$33.50 a box and free shipping from Midway.
Dang, $33.50 per 50 reminds me of why I handload! I assumed you loaded your own.
No....I don't reload for handguns...just rifles.
I'm doing a lot of handgun shooting lately so that'll probably change in the near future. At least for this one....plinking ammo for my 38 and 45ACP is fairly reasonable but I haven't seen anything for 44Special less than $30 +/- for 50 yet.

If nothing else I'll have 100 pieces of brass to get started with.
Posted By: dave284 Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
You're going to love it!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
FG, I think you are going to love it. I would have never thought of me going with a designated 44 Special, but three of them have shown up. They are a pleasure to shoot. I really like my flat top as well. If you make it down here you need to bring it with you. We'll go shooting.
Looks great!

I added a Bisley 44 Mag a year or so ago. The grip is really nice to shoot.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
FG, I think you are going to love it. I would have never thought of me going with a designated 44 Special, but three of them have shown up. They are a pleasure to shoot. I really like my flat top as well. If you make it down here you need to bring it with you. We'll go shooting.

You betcha buddy.....or better yet you make it up here and we can shoot in the back yard.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
Dang Charlie.

Now what am I gonna get you for Christmas??

Fine looking hand gun..
Sure do love Ruger single actions. Only have two...need more!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
I once owned a Ruger Bisley Flattop chambered in 44 Special. It had the 4 5/8" barrel, just like yours. It shot well, and was very enjoyable to carry and shoot. Just one of those guns that was a pleasure. Hope you enjoy yours as well. I can't remember what caused me to let go of the one I had. Something shiny, I guess.
Posted By: saddlering Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
Charlie, I think we would get along just fine, as I like your taste in guns! I just realized yesterday, Im with out a single action, and have been thinking about a 44 Special in one! enjoy it Sir!
Posted By: deflave Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
You'll love that.

Flattop .44 Special is one of my all time favorite handguns.
Field Grade,

Think You're going to really like the 44 Special/Bisley combo

Had one but with the 5.5 inch barrel.

A 250 grainer around 1,000 fps is just really pleasant to shoot and all I need here.

But in a moment of foolishness I moved it.

Jerry
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/15/18
Originally Posted by deflave
You'll love that.

Flattop .44 Special is one of my all time favorite handguns.

I can see why......I already love it and I haven't even fired yet.

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Field Grade,

Think You're going to really like the 44 Special/Bisley combo

Had one but with the 5.5 inch barrel.

A 250 grainer around 1,000 fps is just really pleasant to shoot and all I need here.

But in a moment of foolishness I moved it.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry......I'll shoot the reduced velocity 240gr loads out back but since we're in Bear/Wolf country around her I'll buy/load some heavier 250's with a little more zip for when I take it in the field.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
That is a sweet pistol, Charlie!

I've seriously been mulling over the Ruger GP100 in .44 Special.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
GP100's are sweet......you never hear a bad word about em either.
Cool gun!!! I have a Bisley with a 7.5 " barrel.. It shoots like a dream... Yours is far more practical.. Enjoy!!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Agree
Posted By: deflave Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
The .44 Special in a GP100 is neck and neck with the Flattop.

I think they're perfection.
Posted By: johnw Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
I'd love to try both of them. Haven't seen either one at the range yet.
Holy crap! This looks fun too!

https://lipseysguns.com/lightweight...ck-and-all-business-with-added-features/
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
Field Grade, when you get that Bianchi 1L Lawman. They are a little tight on a standard blackhawk, but wonder if they would be a little loose on the holster. Be curious how it fits. I need one for my stainless flattop.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Indeed.....I was looking at those online the other day......none of the ones I saw for sale had the Micarta grips though.
Bummer.....I'm not one for synthetic anything when it comes to firearms but I kinda like the looks of the smooth Micarta and i know I DON"T like the plastic ones.
My FS Single Six came with the plastic grips and I couldn't get rid of em fast enough.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Field Grade, when you get that Bianchi 1L Lawman. They are a little tight on a standard blackhawk, but wonder if they would be a little loose on the holster. Be curious how it fits. I need one for my stainless flattop.
Thanks.

My camera's acting up right now but I'll post a pic (if I can) when it gets here Marlin.

Either way I'll definitely let you know how it fits.

I got an e-mail this afternoon saying it'll be here Thurs so stand by.

BTW....I also got an E-mail from Midway saying the ammo I ordered will be here Fri.

I went to three different stores in Lewiston today (including Sportsman's Whorehouse) and none of em had 44 Special ammo.

I'll definitely be reloading for this one.

Lewis Clark Gun club in Lapwai ID.

I'm there every Fri. March through July.....bring beer. wink
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
Quote {BTW....I also got an E-mail from Midway saying the ammo I ordered will be here Fri.

I went to three different stores in Lewiston today (including Sportsman's Whorehouse) and none of em had 44 Special ammo.

I'll definitely be reloading for this one.}

That surprises me. Our Sportsmans had some HSM 44 Special, they call it Cowboy loads. I also found some CCI 44 Special with the "flying ashtray" for a bullet.
That's what I ordered.....HSM 240gr Cowboy Action loads at 850 FPS.

I seldom shop at SW but we don't have a lot of choices so I thought I'd check. Maybe they were out......tis the season

No big deal other than the fact that I want to shoot the dam thing.

A few more days won't kill me.....I hope...
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18

BTW....I also got an E-mail from Midway saying the ammo I ordered will be here Fri.

I'll definitely be reloading for this one.

Congrats on the new toy, Charlie.
Late to the dance on this thread but as I saw it the other day I thought I'd tune in again.

If and when you get around to loading pistol you might want to take a look at the little Dillon Square deal. Heck of a machine.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-square-deal-b-reloader_8_1_25237.html

Lost track of how many rounds I've put through mine but it's in the tens of thousands from my PPC and IHMSA days. A guy that used to work for me along with his wife are heavy duty paper punchers. He told me one time that he sends his machine back to Dillon every 20,000 thousand rounds for a "check up". Never any issues. WOW.

OTOH, if your gonna load only a few boxes at a time a single station press is the way to go. Thinkin' you already have that covered tho'.

Good luck and put up them targets for us.

Yea.....I'll just load a box or three at a time. I should be able to get by with my beloved Co-Ax

I don't load for my other handguns but 44Spec is 2-3 times the price of 38Spec or 45ACP so I figured I'd take the plunge.

It's been years since I reloaded for handguns but who knows.....this might inspire me to pick up some 38Spec dies too.
Posted By: johnw Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18

Lewis Clark Gun club in Lapwai ID.

I'm there every Fri. March through July.....bring beer. wink

I'll keep that in mind...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18

Used to never pay them a mind.. until the last one I looked at closely at a LGS. Sweet gun. Stainless with some beautiful grips. Surely didn't need another .357, but it was NICE.
Posted By: mart Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/18/18
I bought the Lipsey's Bisley Flattop 44 Special a few years ago and it's hands down my favorite. I have Bisleys from 22 to 500 LB and and if I was suddenly overcome with a bout of pragmatism and cut my accumulation back to one revolver, it would be the Bisley Flattop 44 Special.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/19/18
Here's an article by Ross Seyfried you might enjoy.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross-seyfried-lipseys-ruger-flattop-44-special-bisley-revolvers/
When I first got my 44 Special FlatTop, I bought a couple boxes of Blazer aluminum cased 200 grain HPs because they were cheaper than my other choices.

They were so accurate I loaded some 200 grain XTPs (to a bit over 1100 fps) for kind of a carry-around load. They are very accurate, also -- around an inch @ 25 yards. I sometimes carry the FlatTop is places that Bears frequent -- with 255 grain WFN hardcasts @ 1050 fps.
Posted By: johnw Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/19/18
Enjoyed the Seyfried article.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/21/18
Well....my holster seems to be temporarily lost in shipping.....lest that's what a email I got from Amazon said but the ammo showed up a day early yesterday so I was able to get a few rounds through her today.

I was surprised. The 240's at 850 are very pleasant to shoot. (Thanks GC.)

After a few rounds to get the feel of it and figuring the sights out I was getting most of em inside the 2" targets I was shooting (at 30') and that's as good as I can shoot.

The action's pretty smooth and the trigger's excellent. I was thinking I'd have to put a spring kit in it but I don't think I'll mess with it....at least not for now.

I was right when I said "this is gonna be fun" but I'm definitely going to have to get set up with some dies and components. That dang ammo's 2-3 times the price of 38 and 45acp.

PS.....I had plugs and headphones on and she's still pretty loud....that's ok though, my closest neighbors are 90yo and deafer than my 15yo dog.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/22/18
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by gunner500

LBTGC bullets... Had to giggle at that because I pictured some rainbow dressed gender bender passing out cold reading that. smile

OOPS, I need to get out more, am completely lost on all of todays plights of the downtrodden. sick grin
Posted By: local_dirt Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/22/18
I had plugs and headphones on and she's still pretty loud....that's ok though, my closest neighbors are 90yo and deafer than my 15yo dog.

My 16 yo dawg is about as deeef. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/22/18
Yea.....I'll just load a box or three at a time. I should be able to get by with my beloved Co-Ax

I don't load for my other handguns but 44Spec is 2-3 times the price of 38Spec or 45ACP so I figured I'd take the plunge.

It's been years since I reloaded for handguns but who knows.....this might inspire me to pick up some 38Spec dies too.

About once a year my son and I would load up ALL the Specials. .44 and .38's. Two very versatile rounds.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/25/18
Originally Posted by deflave
About once a year my son and I would load up ALL the Specials. .44 and .38's. Two very versatile rounds.

No argument here. I'm sold on the 44 now that I own one. I should have added a 44 years ago.

My holster showed up yesterday. No complaints.
I appreciate hand crafted leather as much as anybody but the three Bianchi's i own do everything I need.

Sorry for the fuzzy pic...my old camera has been having a hard time focusing here lately (kinda like me).
[Linked Image]

Another "fuzzy pic" (dam camera) with my beloved model 10.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: This is gonna be fun. - 12/25/18
Nothing wrong with a Bianchi! Wish I had more of them. Most of the ones I have were a gift pack from a friend.

They quit making one I recently tried to buy. frown
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: This is gonna be fun. - 01/09/19
Charlie!

Hows progress with your new venture?

I just right this very second put a flat top 44 special on Layaway.

Curious to see if you have worked with it much.
© 24hourcampfire