Home
I’ve found a very clean 6” stainless Ruger Security Six for $475. I’m not that up on the value of these revolvers. Does this sound like a good deal?

I like revolvers and this one is in great shape.

Thanks in advance,
Expat
Very fair price IMO.
In the condition you describe that's fair enough.
I’d probably buy it .
Deal sounds good to me. I seen one in great shape at LGS just before Xmas for $625.
Originally Posted by deflave
Very fair price IMO.

Yup.
Originally Posted by EdM
Very fair price IMO.

Yup.

Agreed.

I'd buy it for that price.
Expat, yeah, I think that is a reasonable price.

Which shop did you say it's at? whistle
That's about all you could get for one if you were selling.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
That's about all you could get for one if you were selling.

You must shoot the 221. LOL
Buy it.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM
Very fair price IMO.

Yup.

Agreed.

Buy it, I've been having great fun shooting a 357 mag revolver as of late, need to be doing that all the time.
worth maybe $350. or whatever you will pay for it
After Steelhead posted his as his truck gun, I've wanted one. Damn nice looking revolver, IMO.
Posted yesterday asking guidance on a very clean 6" stainless Ruger Security Six. Based on recommendations, I made an offer and got it for $450. I'm really pleased with my purchase.

Pictures are posted in the image gallery.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...4/ruger-security-six-357-magnum#comments

Thanks,
Expat
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Expat, yeah, I think that is a reasonable price.

Which shop did you say it's at? whistle

Bought it! Pics are in the image library.

Expat
Originally Posted by Rooster7
After Steelhead posted his as his truck gun, I've wanted one. Damn nice looking revolver, IMO.

That was a Speed Six, the fixed sight version of the Security Six.

I also have the 6" stainless Security Six.

OP did good getting it, the pics of yours look cherry, wonderful revolvers. I've owned more than a few over the years.

My Speed and Security Six

[Linked Image]
Nice snag
Originally Posted by Steelhead

OP did good getting it, the pics of yours look cherry, wonderful revolvers. I've owned more than a few over the years.

[Linked Image]

SH, that's a nice pair. I really like the Speed Sixes.
That blued Speed Six looks great.
They are tanks. Mine is in 38 special but I don't think there is a 38 load you couldn't fire in it.
If those are original Ruger oversized grips, you really outdid yourself. I don't know how rare they are, but I haven't seen too many. It's a nice gun, at any rate.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
If those are original Ruger oversized grips, you really outdid yourself. I don't know how rare they are, but I haven't seen too many. It's a nice gun, at any rate.

I haven't seen any like that. All I've ever seen are like those on Steelhead's gun.

They actually look like S&W grips to me.

[Linked Image]

That's right.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I haven't seen any like that. All I've ever seen are like those on Steelhead's gun.

They actually look like S&W grips to me.
Ruger had some oversized grips like that on a few guns. I can't tell if those are Rugers. They aren't Smith and Wesson's.
Those are Ruger grips, have a cutout in the butt area so the serial number can be seen. Ruger called them “target grips”. I have a set just like them on my stainless 4 inch.
The grips on the OP's pics in the Image gallery are Siles. Ruger grips have the Ruger Eagle, Sile Grips are the same design but have a flying bird logo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Congratulations on a nice find. I've had a stainless 2.75-inch Security Six .357 for a few years now, they're well-made guns.
I couldn't see the logo on the grips clearly.
Jim, you are right! I stand corrected.
Still a good buy on a great revolver. I bought a 4" stainless model a few months ago and it had some no-name finger groove grips on it so I looked around and found a pair of smooth Ruger branded grips on Numrich. At that time it seemed that the original Ruger checkered target grips were pretty scarce and folks were asking a pretty penny for them. Nothing wrong with Sile grips at all, they are identical to the Ruger ones except a different medallion but the question arose and having gone down that road recently I figured to throw out the info.
Thank you for identifying the grips, Jim. They fit my hand really well. I will track down a set of the original smaller grips to go with the revolver.

Best,
Expat
Shot the revolver at the range yesterday. I was pleased with the accuracy. It kept 5 shots in a 2” bullseye at 25 yards, single action.

I was shooting inexpensive PPU 158 JHPs. I don’t know the quality of bullets PPU loads, but it is pretty potent ammo.

The trigger, single and double action, is different than my Smiths, but very usable. I think accuracy will continue to improve while I get more familiar with the trigger.

Expat

[Linked Image]

now thats nice!! love me some securty six and it brother never could warm up to the gp 100
Why did Ruger stop making this? Just to have something “new”?
Originally Posted by ironbender

They moved to investment cast frames, ala the GP100. My dad loved the Security Sixes. He passed a few down to his boys. They're sweet guns.
I recommend checking out a set of Wolff springs to lighten the trigger pull.

I also was checking out the grips. I found a set of Herrit grips in a close out box eons ago. They are a nice addition.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by ironbender

They moved to investment cast frames, ala the GP100. My dad loved the Security Sixes. He passed a few down to his boys. They're sweet guns.

All Six series guns were investment cast frame and many parts.

The GP 100 came about almost concurrently with the L-Frame Smith's, in the make 'em beefier so they can't shoot them loose phase.
Mimicking the Python with a full underlug barrel was a big deal back in the ‘80s.
Yeah, that too.
After regrettably selling my 6" Security Six to my Brother in law I bought a GP100 in 4" stainless.
Nice shooter, even better than the Security Six it replaced, but what a boat anchor!

My 2 3/4" Security Six was one of the best instinctive point shooting guns I've ever had.

Sometimes progress ain't really.
I wouldn't take $500 for my Security Six 4" - I like it too much!
( First CF pistol I ever bought - new in the early '80's )

Ruger rebuilt, once.
My last one

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This thread got me thinking about the Ruger 357, thats been sitting at my gun dealers for about 8 months! I had ment. it in an earlier thread. went here today to pick up a TC contender frame, and the Speed Six was marked down to 389.00 and it has the 2 3/4 barrel has blue lost in spots on one side, other then that its real good shape! Think it will make a Great truck gun! its in Lay A Way hope to get her out next month! grin Ser# is 156-099XX anybody know what year?
Under the Customer Service area on Ruger's website, they have a section for getting manuals and checking serial numbers.

Based on your serial number, it looks to have been made around 1980-1981:
https://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SPSSix.html

You can see other manuals and serial number look-ups here:
https://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
Just picked up a Nice Don Hume holster for the speed six for $21.00 on Ebay they have a sale going on them!
© 24hourcampfire