Home
Ok not new to pistol or revolver shooting. In my army days I qualified expert with the 1911 ( that was '71) I only like guns that will hit what I shoot at. That being said I plan to get a .380 small enough to fit a pocket holster. I would be pretty happy if I could keep my groups inside 4 or 5 inches at something like 10 yds. Considering the short site radius and my 67 year old eyes is that asking too much?
The guns themselves are capable. This drill was shot with a standard Model Ruger LCP on a NRA B-8 Target at 10 yards. 7 rounds in 7 seconds from the Low Ready position.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I had a Ruger LCP for awhile. I never put it on paper, but did a pretty good job of hitting a pop can at ~ 10 yards with it.
I recently bought a Ruger LCP II. It shoots well when I do my part. I would buy another.
Sig P238, I was surprised kept 24 of 26 rounds in the black of an NRA target at 25 yards. (about 6" group)
The Sig P238 or a Kahr P380 will surprise you.
Originally Posted by 270WSMANIC
Ok not new to pistol or revolver shooting. In my army days I qualified expert with the 1911 ( that was '71) I only like guns that will hit what I shoot at. That being said I plan to get a .380 small enough to fit a pocket holster. I would be pretty happy if I could keep my groups inside 4 or 5 inches at something like 10 yds. Considering the short site radius and my 67 year old eyes is that asking too much?

No.

Get an LCP.
Bonus with P238 is that it is the first semi that the wife likes and can rack the slide.
Depends if you like a metal pistol or plastic. Many 380's will do the job if you do yours.
hop on gunbroker and buy a used p 380
A SIG P230 or P232 or possibly a Walther PPK would be your best option for an ALL STEEL 380 pistol.
A Glock 42 can meet the OP’s accuracy requirements at longer distances and hides well in jeans in an Alabama Pocket Hoster or a Boraii Eagle holster. It might be considered too big a gun by some.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
A Glock 42 can meet the OP’s accuracy requirements at longer distances and hides well in jeans in an Alabama Pocket Hoster or a Boraii Eagle holster. It might be considered too big a gun by some.

My experience exactly matches this. My little G42 is dang near raged hole accurate at close defense ranges and dang if it don’t do well out to 20 yds or so with good ammo. Mine is great with the 90 gr. XTP factory load, my handloads with the same bullet (mild to wild) and the hot +P Underwood stuff too. Most accurate 380 I have ever fired. I think Glocks are fine but don’t typically get this kind of accuracy from them, but this 380 rocks. Out to 10yds, I would say its bad guy eye socket accurate!

Mark in GA
Originally Posted by Dans40X
A SIG P230 or P232 or possibly a Walther PPK would be your best option for an ALL STEEL 380 pistol.

A friend's son has a Bersa Thunder 380, which is a Walther PPK clone - I saw him shoot that pistol better
and more accurately than I have ever seen any one shoot a handgun.

Also, an older friend, didn't like his Ruger LCP. He found it very unpleasant to shoot and he had NO accuracy with it.

I recommended the more 'traditional' Bersa pistol as I had a Bersa 86 'Undercover' model (which preceded the 'Thunder' designation)
hoping to unload it on him. He didn't want mine - but we looked online at all the Bersa Thunder models at Bud's Guns
and he had an FFL dealer order one for him, that he chose.

He really likes his new Bersa pistol, its' low price, and he likes shooting it. Every time I see him he thanks me for steering him on to it.

I still have my NIB Bersa 86 Undercover 380 - I think it's a collectors item . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fwb-9aYDa0

Here is a youtube video of Jerry Miculek hitting a steel target at 200 yards with a Bodyguard 380. Thus proving that the BG380 is an accurate pistol...but also proving that Jerry is an above
an expert pistol shooter possessing extraordinary talent

I would consider myself an above average pistol shooter with no comparison to his skills but yet still solid. I recently bought a BG380 and after cleaning it and lubing it took it out for a maiden shooting event. After a while I could hit a milk jug at 20 yards about 2-3 shots per mag or 6 rounds. The misses were by 2-3 feet due to the difficulty in controlling that long long trigger pull. More range time definitely needed.

The BG380 is accurate enough to meet your criteria innately but needs a lot of practice to hit stuff consistently. However I have found it more accurate and I can shoot it more accurately than the other "mouse" guns I have owned.
My Ruger LCP 380 is amazingly accurate for a true pocket pistol. So was my Glock 42, but it’s a little big for my jean pockets. Works well in cargo shorts though.
Originally Posted by deflave

No.

Get an LCP.

Agreed, I'm 65, have developing cataracts and can shoot my LCP that well. Little beast goes every where with me.
I found the most shootable .380 to be the Kahr P380. A little larger than some but smaller than most of the others, it just has better sights, trigger pull and grip area. Fits in the pocket very nicely...

Used it to do my LEOSA qualification and shot a 28/28 and 27/28 at ranges out to 25 yards. Had the exact same scores with my G19...and I am 66...not very far behind you..

Bob
Just takes practice. Even the great little Ruger LCP is more than up to that level of mechanical accuracy.
The Glock 42 is easy to shoot well with vs an LCP, though, if that’s a high priority for you.
I’ve got a Sig p238 that’s easy to shoot tight 10 yard groups with, too.
The Sig P238 was an accurate and fun gun for me as well. I had forgotten about that one.
I have no trouble doing that with my Taurus TCP.
For me the Sig 232 is the best. It’s also a little larger. Don’t have a p 238, but I do have a p938. Hasbeen
[Linked Image]
Many years ago I had a little Browning .380 I bought from an ex-cop who used it as a "backup gun".on't remember the model number. I liked it a lot, went shooting one day with a buddy who had a Browning Hi-Power, and was a very good handgun shot. I fell in love with his Hi-Power, and he tried to buy my .380! He could shoot that thing VERY accurately, and he really liked it.

The .380 I have now is an oldMT "Backup" I found in a pickup camper I had bought used years before. I is pretty accurate for what it is, very small and stainless steel, fictions great. I feel comfortable with it as a "backup" - especially backing up my .45 ACP AMT Backup!

Mike Holmes
...happy if I could keep my groups inside 4 or 5 inches at something like 10 yds. Considering ... my 67 year old eyes is that asking too much?

As everyone has already said, it's not asking too much. I just wanted to toss out a reminder that aftermarket sights could really help. For example, a big dot front night sight with a single dot rear or bar, instead of traditional 3 dot sights, might be just the ticket for you.
Ruger LCP (Mk1) is awesome.

4-5 inches at 10 yards no problem.

If you like shooting revolvers double action the trigger on the LCP will not disappoint.

Disappears into pocket. Even shirt pocket. Don't do anything to it. The sights are fine.
Back in the1980s I had the Sig P230 and liked it a lot. But these days that’s considered a 9mm sized gun.
Disregard the bottom target, that was me just screwing around. But the top target is the very first 12 rounds through a brand new Ruger LCP, the first edition. Offhand at 7 yards, 6 o'clock hold, no eyeglasses (just non-prescription shooting glasses) to help my then 63 year old eyes. I lined up the front out of focus blob between the two rear out of focus blobs and fired. I think most barns got a right to be skeered... wink

Here is the full review to explain the bottom target as well. Rat Gun review

[Linked Image]
Had a Walther PP that would hit a 50 gallon steel drum at 100 meters every shot. All I had to do was aim a couple feet above the rim...
Thanks to all for your input. Not only was the answer to my question yep it can be do'ed. but got lots of input as to what .380 I might want to get. Got a local gun show to go to in a couple weeks!!!
Which one are you going to be looking for?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Which one are you going to be looking for?

Not sure yet, probably depend on price and which one looks/feels best to me. I'm lucky WV is a constructional carry state, open or concealed. I occasionally cross the Ohio river over there I would have to have a concealed carry permit to be legal. Keep hoping they will go const. carry also.
Wife does well with this one, I do better, both are well within your wheelhouse. You can get them in non-Tiffany colors. I mention it only because you are 1911 familiar.

[Linked Image]
Nothing wrong with full Tiffany!
The Sig P238 is very similar to that Kimber.
I have a S&W BG380 and a Sig 938 but I usually carry my S&W 60 airweight performance center 38special idiot proof for a idiot like me. Widow
If you do your part they will shoot just fine unless... You just can't shoot them accurately

No.

Get an LCP II.

Fixed it for you. grin

MM
Originally Posted by Fotis
If you do your part they will shoot just fine unless... You just can't shoot them accurately

This.

Have a P3AT. (I know, I know)

It shoots decent, however,
Lining up those 3 bump sights,
squeezing that loooong trigger,
and holding that tiny grip?

It ain't easy.
The LCP shoots very good.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

No.
Get an LCP II.

Fixed it for you. grin
MM

What are the changes?

No.

Get an LCP II.

Fixed it for you. grin

MM

What's wrong with the original?
Nothing "wrong" per se', but the new version is better in just about every way.

MM
I would rather hid the side of the barn with a 9MM or a .38 spec.+P.
If you're going down that road you can also say a 9mm may expand but a 45 doesn't shrink.

Walther PPK/S w/ Fiocchi Extrema 90gr.

Desirably heavy weight.

Confident at 10-15 yards.
If the weight and size are fine with you, I love shooting and carrying the Walther PPK/S
Fits my hand well, and surprisingly accurate out to 40 yards for me.

I'd try one out if you have the chance.
270WSMANIC,

May I suggest a Colt's Model 1908 Hammerless in .380 ACP??. = I owned one & that little pistol is wonderful. - Few handguns in a decent SD caliber are as flat/concealable & I could put all of the rounds into a standard size paper-plate at 25 M virtually every time.

I would suggest that for pure self-defense (unless your attacker has a long-gun) situation, "25M accurate" is PLENTY.

Note: Fwiw, Colt has re-issued the Model 1908 but the only one of the "new model" that I've seen seems inferior to the original.
(Look for a REBLUED one, or a re-parkerized example at the gun shows is my advice, as "collectors" are not interested in them & the prices seem about 1/2 or less than the "originals" are.)

yours, tex
Nothing "wrong" per se', but the new version is better in just about every way.

MM

How so?

I'm not arguing I just haven't shot one. I have the original.

You can hit the side of a barn with this 380. You can also put the 22 barrel/slide on it and shoot 22 LR if you want. I shot this deer in the head with it at 75 yards. They can still be found but not much under $4,000.00...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Glock style trigger, with middle safety tab, actually pretty decent letoff & MUCH improved over version I; better sights if that means anything on a gun of this type, feels more ergonomic in the hand.

Bought one for my wife a year ago for Christmas & we've shot it quite a bit & though I am not a small gun fan, I carry it once in a while & like it a lot.

MM
Haven’t shot either one, I’ve ‘read’ the trigger is supposed to be lighter and a shorter pull.

Does the original slide lock open on firing last round?
Originally Posted by ironbender

Negative.
Here's my summary.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11445591/1
Originally Posted by ironbender

Negative.

That's a change as well.
My dad bought a ruger LCP...most horrid accuracy I ever seen....some rave about them..but we couldn't hit a 55 gal drum at 10 paces....my sig 938 is verry good
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
My dad bought a ruger LCP...most horrid accuracy I ever seen....some rave about them..but we couldn't hit a 55 gal drum at 10 paces....my sig 938 is verry good

Operator error?
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

I have both, and it's easier to hit what you're aiming at with the P238.
I would agree, have a P238, and have shot a friends LCP. For myself I will take the Sig. Depends on what you want. I am a 1911 guy, the P238 is pretty close but much smaller. Same drill, same memory for operation, works for me.
If you and your dad were both having trouble then I would suspect a problem with the pistol.

I have found my example of one LCP to be very accurate at 10 paces when I don't have the coffee jitters too bad. Just have to hold the little sucker tight is all.
I rested my hand on the top of low barricade and fired these 6 rds strong hand only at 10 yards with a 1st Gen Ruger LCP ..... the one with the looooong trigger pull and the tiny nubs for sights. The newer versions are much easier to shoot.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would agree, have a P238, and have shot a friends LCP. For myself I will take the Sig. Depends on what you want. I am a 1911 guy, the P238 is pretty close but much smaller. Same drill, same memory for operation, works for me.

Yeah, the P238 is a nice gun, but depending on the version, that's a $700+ gun vs $250 for the LCP II.

MM
Often, you get what you pay for.
True, but in this case, the P238 is not 3x the gun that the new LCP II is, IMO.

I shoot the Ruger just fine at distances it is intended for & it's been 100% reliable.

Though I do like the 238, the differences in the real world are mostly fluff & personal preference, not a big practical difference.

YMMV

MM
Fugk those 238's.

They go against the ideal of what a pocket gun should be.
Fugk those 238's.

A little heavy, and you need to operate a thumb safety, so I would agree that the LCP is a superior pants pocket gun.
[Linked Image]
I can hit a barn.
G42
great gun the 42 but big for my pocket.
Fugk those 238's.

Don't hold back, man...............tell 'em whatcha really think. grin

MM
Fugk those 238's.

A little heavy, and you need to operate a thumb safety, so I would agree that the LCP is a superior pants pocket gun.

I suppose you never had to carry a 25 ounce S&W 640 in your pocket back in the day. wink I don't feel the need to get down to 12 ounces loaded to make me happy.

I also had a Sig P238 a while back. While it was fun, accurate and very fast, I also did not like the safety when presenting from the pocket.
Well you use yours and I will be happy to use mine. At least we have a choice.

Not a true pocket pistol in the sense of the word .
Has a billion safeties, fits and carry,s in the back pocket of a pair of blue jeans really good.
Got a holster fits in the small of back really well.
Little heavy...
15+1 capacity
3.5" barrel
Just under 5" sight radius.
Has a real nice feel in the hands shooting it, full purchase in the hands.
Basically a ppk clone
Shot at 15 yards with 2 hand grip , probably alot better if off a bag, but not realistic.
Dead on hold, none of that 6 oclock silliness.
Have ran 165 rounds thru it.
Definatley has a preference for certain ammo.
Feed issue last round with rem umc and federal every time
Rem tgt ran perfect
Got a box of geco to check out in the near future
12 bucks a box at midsouth down the road.
.380 ammo is priced ridiculous......
Just gotta practice on mondays when the range is 7 bucks to get better with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left hand holster for right hand small of the back carry
[Linked Image]

If you have some brass, .380 is as cheap to load nowadays as 9mm. If you buy in lots of 2000, Precision Delta 95 grain FMJ flat points are $87 a thousand with free shipping. If you buy a gun capable of being shot a lot, there is no reason not to shoot it a lot!

"Got a holster fits in the small of back really well."

Yep.

May want to try drawing while flat on your back to simulate result of a physical assault. If assailant is on top of you and you have any "excess poundage"...
The Glock 42 is easy to shoot well with vs an LCP, though, if that’s a high priority for you.

I'm not a Glock fan but the 42 did impress me with its accuracy.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

"Got a holster fits in the small of back really well."

Yep.

May want to try drawing while flat on your back to simulate result of a physical assault. If assailant is on top of you and you have any "excess poundage"...

Thank you for the advice.
I'm 5' 6" and weigh 376.
I need to practice that I geuss.
Do you know the year of your Bersa?
[quote=Steelhead]Do you know the year of your Bersa?[/quo
Got an A prefix serial #
Called em in New Jersey
Sept 2009 or sept 2011
Cant remember which
Kinda threw me for loop it has different distributor markings on it than what others have
Same importer changed names from what they said.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Not a true pocket pistol in the sense of the word .
Has a billion safeties, fits and carry,s in the back pocket of a pair of blue jeans really good.
Got a holster fits in the small of back really well.
Little heavy...
15+1 capacity
3.5" barrel
Just under 5" sight radius.
Has a real nice feel in the hands shooting it, full purchase in the hands.
Basically a ppk clone
Shot at 15 yards with 2 hand grip , probably alot better if off a bag, but not realistic.
Dead on hold, none of that 6 oclock silliness.
Have ran 165 rounds thru it.
Definatley has a preference for certain ammo.
Feed issue last round with rem umc and federal every time
Rem tgt ran perfect
Got a box of geco to check out in the near future
12 bucks a box at midsouth down the road.
.380 ammo is priced ridiculous......
Just gotta practice on mondays when the range is 7 bucks to get better with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left hand holster for right hand small of the back carry
[Linked Image]

My daughter totes one of those and shoots it rather well. Also one of my best friends keeps one handy.
© 24hourcampfire