Home
Posted By: jimmyp ported 40 SW shields - 02/13/19
the demise of the 40SW sure puts a lot of these pistols on the market for unsuspecting and naive buyers such as myself. Even the gen1 9mm's are cheap I saw one going for $200 in pretty good condition. The performance center guns get a few bucks more on the used market and the question that comes to my mind is are the ports on the 40 worth paying for? I don't think I have ever had a ported pistol as I figured it was just another place to get dirt and lint into.
Posted By: deflave Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/13/19
I haven't shot one but I sure wouldn't hesitate to gamble $200 on one.

I put another 100 through my .40 Shield last night and it's as great as ever. But the .40 in that small of a gun will fatigue you quickly. I'd love to try the ported version with a timer.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/14/19
We had a lot of problems with the ported .40's. For some reason, the slide would jam to the rear and it took some force to get it to go back forward.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/14/19
was that the gen 1 gun you had problems with in the ported models?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/14/19
thanks Flave, a used 40 shield with some Underwood 200 grain cast bullet cartridges is what I have in mind.
Posted By: deflave Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by UPhiker
We had a lot of problems with the ported .40's. For some reason, the slide would jam to the rear and it took some force to get it to go back forward.

Did you try tighter springs?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Did you try tighter springs?

They weren't my guns. I work at a large store/range and these were customer guns, usually brought off the range with a WTF. Yes, they were original ones, not M2.0.
Posted By: deflave Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/15/19
Thanks.
Posted By: Redhill Re: ported 40 SW shields - 02/17/19

I don't own any pistols with ported barrels but I have shot a few of them. They were large caliber and all seemed to do two things:

1. Reduce muzzle flip

2. Increase noise dramatically
© 24hourcampfire