Home
Posted By: Soup Single-Six - 03/02/19
Folks ,
I'm not a pistol guy but did have a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible . Bought when I came home from Vietnam in 70 .
Unfortunately I sold it about 40 some years ago .
Now have a yearning for a Ruger " New Model " Single -Six Convertible . Don't know a damn thing about except the one I'm looking at has a 5 1/2 or 6" barrel & is in nice shape .
Would any of the owners of this model please pass on the " pros & cons " ?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Soup
Posted By: deflave Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
The pros are that they are awesome.

The cons are that chicks will constantly try and pounce on your dong.
Posted By: johnw Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
They can be fun, in a laid back way.

I had some jealousy issues reading through the "backyard fun" thread, but I usually don't have the patience to feed a single action revolver in a fun shooting session.

On the other hand, I may break the bank buying mags for my Buckmark...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
Originally Posted by deflave

I second that.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
Probably the best combination of accuracy, portability, inexpensive, and indestructible ever built in a rimfire handgun.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
Probably the best combination of accuracy, portability, inexpensive, and indestructible ever built in a rimfire handgun.

That about covers it.
Everybody should own one........so what are you waiting for?
Posted By: trplem Re: Single-Six - 03/02/19
The revolver you're describing is one I absolutely do not want living at my house any time soon. It's not that they're not really excellent, it's that Dad's had one for 35 years.
Posted By: Soup Re: Single-Six - 03/03/19
Bump
Posted By: RJM Re: Single-Six - 03/03/19
...I'll be the critic.... While a well made gun that shoots Magnum rounds like a laser, all the convertible S-Ss I have owned were lackluster when it came to shooting Long Rifle ammo. The only exception being the 7.5" Hunter Model. That one will shoot LRs almost as good as the Magnums...

Bob
Posted By: ClearAirTurbulence Re: Single-Six - 03/03/19

I've sometimes thought about having Hamilton Bowen rebarrel and put a new cylinder onto a Single Six so it would shoot LR in a consistent manner but I guess I don't want one that bad or I'd have spent the money.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Single-Six - 03/03/19
An old buddy, bought a Single Six once at my urging. He was in his 60’s and had never owned one in the hundreds of guns he’d bought, sold, and traded. So he bought this old battered 5.5” Super Single Six that came through the shop for $125 or so. He comes back from the range that weekend with a rimfire target displaying all these tiny 6 shot groups. He’d tried about 12 kinds of ammo before finding one it really liked but when he did it would really pile them in there. The ammo of choice? Lapua Polar Biathalon, only $12 or so a box of 50. smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Single-Six - 03/14/19
My three screw now sports a brass Super Blackhawk frame and wide trigger. It made a huge difference in it in my hands. Three of my kid are fighting over it waiting for me to die. I am thinking of surprising them and have it buried with me. I worked all summer when I was 14 to buy it and has been almost half ay around the world with me.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Single-Six - 03/14/19
i kinda prefer the single ten. mine is the 4 5/8 barrel model. triggers have too much sear engagement outta the box, but the revolver works indefinitely. just cock and shoot. try to work around the women trying to jump your dong and the beer youre drinking with your other hand

had a 6 1/2” barrel single six that i sold. front sight wouldnt let it group on paper, so i replaced it with a mk 3 front sight which brought the point of impact down. it was a very respectable shooter after that. cant remember why i sold it.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Single-Six - 03/15/19
Soup: I say go for it!
I have several of these and even have a "Buntline" Model with 9 1/2" barrel.
These pistols are just tons of fun to shoot.
If I were you and YOU only want one Single-Six then I would advise going for the stainless version - I don't know why I just would.
Cool factor maybe.
Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Savuti Re: Single-Six - 03/15/19
If you're not happy with the accuracy of your Single Six Dave Clements offers a relatively inexpensive fix "Basic Accuracy Tuneup package".

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by Scott F
My three screw now sports a brass Super Blackhawk frame and wide trigger. It made a huge difference in it in my hands. Three of my kid are fighting over it waiting for me to die. I am thinking of surprising them and have it buried with me. I worked all summer when I was 14 to buy it and has been almost half ay around the world with me.

you could at least tell me where you plan on being buried.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave

I second that.

I forth it
Posted By: 700LH Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Had one constantly since late 60's early 70's bought used for $30 except for a year or so about 1974.
I needed a shotgun to hunt pheasants etc. here in Idaho and was too broke to buy one so sold the SS for funds, got another about a year later that I still have.
It has friends now

Pros? to many to list easy.
Cons? if there is one I forgot it.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
I've owned a few, may again. Nothing wrong with them, but I really dislike spending 10 minutes to shoot 12 rounds.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
My first handgun was a Single Six. Didn't own one for years until recently when I found an older .32 H&R that I had wanted since reading a Ross Seyfried article years ago.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks ,
I'm not a pistol guy but did have a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible . Bought when I came home from Vietnam in 70 .
Unfortunately I sold it about 40 some years ago .
Now have a yearning for a Ruger " New Model " Single -Six Convertible . Don't know a damn thing about except the one I'm looking at has a 5 1/2 or 6" barrel & is in nice shape .
Would any of the owners of this model please pass on the " pros & cons " ?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Soup
They are great guns without any real cons that I know of. I've owned a couple over the years. Currently don't have one. The representative model in the safe is a Colt New Frontier "Scout" size with both cylinders. The Colt was seldom seen when I got it, compared to the Ruger. If anything, I'd say the Ruger was better and these were the two main competitors back then (mid-eighties). If you want something even smaller, Ruger still made the "Bearcat" the last I knew. I don't know if you can get it with both cylinders...most likely can. I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Super Single Six.

I remember going into the local hardware store and buying my first handgun. There was a blued Super Single Six there and it was about $40 higher than the H&R 949 that I bought. The Ruger was used though, IIRC. I'd say I wish I'd bought the Ruger, but the H&R was a cool little gun that served me well until it got traded off on my first centerfire handgun a couple of years later, an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in 45 Colt. The latter was a beautiful but huge single action in the Colt SAA style.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
I had one. Now have a Smith K-22, although I do wish I had bought a Ruger Bearcat when they came out originally.Never had any great use for anything in a 22 mag
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by Savuti
If you're not happy with the accuracy of your Single Six Dave Clements offers a relatively inexpensive fix "Basic Accuracy Tuneup package".

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html

Wow, the 38 0r 9mm conversion sound awesome.
But you have to start with a centerfire.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Single-Six - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had one. Now have a Smith K-22, although I do wish I had bought a Ruger Bearcat when they came out originally.Never had any great use for anything in a 22 mag

The only thing a 22 mag offers in a handgun is rifle LR ballistics.
And noise. x2.

If 22mag was needed.
I would probably light load the 327.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Single-Six - 03/18/19
After two Single Six threads in less than a month I got the urge to drag mine out this afternoon and burn up a few boxes of shells. Clearing the 6” plate rack from 20 yard two handed, then right handed, and then left handed became monotonous. So I shot a steel prairie dog silhouette at 35 yards until I got 6 straight with my right hand. Then I stretched it out a bit more and played with the gongs at the 75 yard line, my target has a 5”, 6”, and 8” gong. I could keep the 8” ringing and the 6” more often than not but the 5” seemed to give me fits and I was probably only %30 on it. Burned up a bunch of old Remington Golden bullet ammo that was garbage, sounded like popcorn with all the different reports, some like a 22 short and some cracked like a magnum.

Still was a great way to spend an hour or two on a nice afternoon and remind myself how much I like my Single Six.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Single-Six - 03/18/19
Interesting front sight. Not stock ... or at least I've never seen one like that. Tell me about it, please?

Tom
Posted By: TheKid Re: Single-Six - 03/18/19
It’s a barrel band I machined over my lunch breaks for a couple days and soldered on. Gun has a steel grip frame from an early Vaquero too.
© 24hourcampfire