Home
Posted By: glockdoofus HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
I have been studying fo improve my doofusing self and wondered what all the "Sharp as a Tack" shooters on this site think of the stance in the photo below.
Not good, good, fair, better excellent or beyong excellent?
Although I will never reach the levels of the elite on here i will conrinue to study from the masters such as yourselves.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 41magfan Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
I don't know who that guy is, but you can't hit anything using that jacked-up stance.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I don't know who that guy is, but you can't hit anything using that jacked-up stance.

With what thought process do you use to determine that? I am picking everyones brain. It ks easy to make a statement but where is the helping hand?
Posted By: cs2blue Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
That looks like Ross Senfried? From back in the day, Guns and Ammo magazine
Posted By: 41magfan Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by cs2blue
That looks like Ross Senfried? From back in the day, Guns and Ammo magazine

It is Ross Seyfried.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Ross shoots more than a smidge. Hint.

Now tease 'Fowler about his hair.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: 357Carbine Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Got him IPSC world championship in '81 so, beyond excellent for his day.
Ross actually shoots.

Hint...............
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Similar posture, weight on the forward foot, one arm near full extension, lean forward
Prolly Armand Swenson built to boot.

Hint.................
The national in 1979

Clue..............
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
The national in 1979

Clue..............

Imitation is THE MOST Sincere form of Flattery.

Hint...............
Posted By: Captain Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Prolly Armand Swenson built to boot.

Hint.................

I think it is a Pachmayr.
Might could be.

They once upon a time,did nice thangs.

Hint.............
Pachmayr custom. At least he shot one for some time. Don't ask me how I know.

Imply......................

Hint...............
He hunted Africa with his 44 Mag and killed a few head of game with it not long after winning the World IPSC Championship.

Infer......................................

Hint...............
I lock my elbows out for an isosceles shooting posture. Much better recoil control that way, along with lots of flexibility left and right.
The only thing you "shoot",is your mouth and Imagination.

Hint................
Posted By: jimmyp Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
Thanks Ross
He was/is a literal Straight Shooter.

Hint................
Posted By: JOG Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/12/19
The Campfire's GMoats took that photo of Mr. Seyfried. Over the next five years or so the Weaver gave it up to Modified Weaver, and then to Isosceles. There seems to have been more change in the first five years of IPSC than in all the years since.
Don't discount Dot Sights.

Hint...............
Posted By: deflave Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Originally Posted by JOG
The Campfire's GMoats took that photo of Mr. Seyfried. Over the next five years or so the Weaver gave it up to Modified Weaver, and then to Isosceles. There seems to have been more change in the first five years of IPSC than in all the years since.

Same can be said for any new sport.

UFC being a perfect example.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Stance schmance!

Things evolve.
Sometimes good science, sometimes just the "cool factor".

That cat could shoot.
He kicked ass, won matches.

Who cares if he shot standing on his head, rubbing one out, after studying
the 223 AI photos?

Is stance important? Yep.

But in the context of making it easier to shoot well.
Hitting the target is the goal, not posture.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Dealinsuck,

Your Wanton Man Lust,is the only thing you are able to talk about in the first hand. Congratulations?!?

Hint..................
Posted By: Savuti Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
I recall Ross writing that during the 12 months prior to his winning the world title he expended 85,000 primers, all 45 auto.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Whatever works for ya.

Sight alignment and trigger control is what puts rounds on target.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
I've seen pictures of him shooting from other stances too. Taking a single picture, without knowing the full context, and making sweeping conclusions from it is *unwise*.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
It’s a shame no one here actually shot with him or trained with him, it would be a great source of info.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Originally Posted by jimmyp
It’s a shame no one here actually shot with him or trained with him.....

50K registered users.....I wouldn't bet on that......
Posted By: okie john Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I've seen pictures of him shooting from other stances too. Taking a single picture, without knowing the full context, and making sweeping conclusions from it is *unwise*.

This.

Along with being a superb shot, Ross Seyfried is one of the best at explaining how and why you should set up a shot to match the situation. His articles on wingshooting are brilliant.

We're looking at a picture that represents maybe 1/60th of a second in the decades-long career of an absolute master. There's a lot that we can't see. Maybe he was moving as part of a stage or maybe he unlocked his elbows to clear a barrier that we can't see in the frame. But we can see two pieces of brass in the air between the pistol and his head, so things are happening quickly. The gun bas returned to battery and the muzzle is low enough that he can begin to align his sights for the next shot, so he's controlling the recoil of a full-house 45 ACP pretty well. Whatever stance and grip he's using seem adequate for what he's doing in that picture, and that's all that counts.

Back when I shot IDPA, one of the designers created a stage where you had to shoot your way out of a fairly complex structure while carrying a doll that was about the size and weight of a 1-year-old child. You had to carry it like you'd carry a real child, so a headlock, dragging it by a leg, etc. were prohibited. Most shooters at that club were pretty good, but nobody really knew anything other than Isosceles. Some tried to shoot the whole stage one-handed. Some fumbled through it with a cramped version of Isosceles. Most of them took about a minute for the stage, fumbled their reloads, and got a lot of C-zone hits. I pulled my workspace in very close and used Reverse Weaver for most of it, then finished with a very fast weak-handed pair at near-contact distance. ANY picture of me taken on that stage would be a pretty good cautionary tale for new shooters, but I shot it clean in 26 seconds.

Horses for courses.

Okie John
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
I always enjoyed Ross's handgun articles in the rags back in the 70's 80's. Those were examples of quality gun writing.

I don't buy the rags anymore, but what I see in waiting rooms on occasion is nothing but gear pimpery.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
There's noone worth a fhuqk Writing today,as they are all on the take and pander Fluff...but it is fhuqking FUNNY!

Hint................
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/13/19
Ross knew what others wished to know--
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/14/19

Mike
Posted By: SargeMO Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/14/19
A quote, reportedly from Jim Higginbotham.

One does not want to get the big head about performance. I was once walking around the U.S. Region IPSC Championship (this was before the days of USPSA) with Ross Seyfried, a gentleman of the first order! A vendor asked him how it felt to be the best pistol shot in the world (Ross would become World Champion the next year). His response was:

“I have no idea. The best pistol shot in the world is probably some farmer out in Colorado or someplace who we never heard of.”

It was a point I took a lesson from. Both as to one’s attitude and probably as to the factual reality that there are indeed great shooters who are unknown to the press and public.

I recall reading an article, not long after Seyfried won the 81 World Shoot, in which he mentioned that the pistol he used to win that event was essentially worn out by the time he won it. He said it was only good for about six inches at 50 yards, but he could center that group exactly where he wanted it and do it fast enough to win.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/14/19
One may actually post here! Who would ever know
Posted By: EdM Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/14/19
Wasn't Ross a farmer in Colorado then?
Posted By: 41magfan Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by EdM
Wasn't Ross a farmer in Colorado then?

I didn't know he farmed any but I'm fairly certain he was in the cattle business.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
Not to disparage Ross, but I wouldn’t look at what competitive shooters did 30 years ago to validate what I’m doing right now.

It’s comparable to building a race car today around blueprints for a 1985 Mustang.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
I don't have any photos of them, but I know a few guys who have actually killed many things (animals) with a handgun, from positions - or stances, if you will - that would look completely wrong to most of you. At least a couple of them do it amazingly fast and accurate - on moving targets - and they're doing it with run of the mill pistols in major calibers. They do a lot of shooting.

Just sayin'.
Posted By: deflave Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
Gracie won UFC 1.

In 1994.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't have any photos of them, but I know a few guys who have actually killed many things (animals) with a handgun, from positions - or stances, if you will - that would look completely wrong to most of you. At least a couple of them do it amazingly fast and accurate - on moving targets - and they're doing it with run of the mill pistols in major calibers. They do a lot of shooting.

Just sayin'.

Exactly.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by deflave
Gracie won UFC 1.

In 1994.

Easily and without a Weight Class and in multiple bouts on the same night.................(grin)
Posted By: gmoats Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/21/19
I took that picture of Ross at Bianchi Cup #3....he didn’t shoot the first one and for the second one he shot a Don Fisher gun with an extended BarSto barrel (he didn’t take the match seriously so he didn’t bother using his Pachmayr—although he wore his “lucky cowboy white shirt” {another story} he started wearing “regular” shirts after he won the world shoot IIRC). There was no movement during this picture—-all Bianchi events are static. Yes, he shot this way all the time. Yes he was a cattle rancher. Yes he shot Pachmayr’s, this one had an extended 6” BarSto—-I don’t know if he shot this at theWorld Shoot or not but he used a standard 5” at the 78, 79 and 80 US Nationals.
Posted By: Etoh Re: HOW IS THIS STANCE - 04/22/19
The hand tooled holster and belt he is using is pre Bill Rogers/Safariland, and also no need for speed a Bianchi. The gun has the front site on the slide and is pre Clark tapered cone sight on the comp. bowling pin. Don Fisher was just starting to convert Browning HP to 9 major, and the gamers and martial artists were just starting to argue on the direction of IPSC.

Eugene Berger in Grand Junction, Ron Avery, and Larry Spain were some of the shooters who were faster, but lacked the resources (private airplane) to make all the matches, let alone hunt big game abroad.

Bergers, who started Double Tap bullets, shot from very compressed stances, but didn't stop Eugene from winning the Steel Challenge.

Im pretty sure they would have done just as well today using, STIs SVI and dot sights.
© 24hourcampfire