Home
Posted By: Hooker22 EAA 10 mm - 05/04/19
Anyone had experience with EAA in 10mm?
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/04/19
I have been drooling over a Witness Elite Match in 10 mm for fifteen years, but never tripped the trigger.

A Witness in 38 Super has been one of the most accurate and best feeling pistols I ever got my hands on.

I can not tell you from personal experience, but everything I have ever seen in print says the Witness is one of the best platforms out there for a 10 mm.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/04/19
Nothing wrong with EAA pistols, other than the fact that they don’t seem to hold a good resale value when sold used.

Personally, I’d rather have a Glock long slide or a Springfield TRP in 10mm. But to each his own.
Posted By: RufusG Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/04/19
Back in the day I had a 45 that I switched into a 9mm. Or on second thought it may have been a 9mm I turned into a .45. The moral of the story is I seem to recall that there were some slide cracking issues, mostly with the 10, but also some 9s. Not so much with the 45s. But it was only with a certain slide configuration. Slides with different cuts were basically immune. This was a while back so I suspect it's been long ago sorted out, and I'm completely fuzzy about the slide differences at this point, but I'm sure you could look it up. I thought it was a very nice shooting, well-made gun, but the grip was pretty big, relative to most other guns.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/05/19
I have 2 Witness 10mm's, one ruled, the other the Wonder Finish. Really like both. Also have an RIA 1911 in 10mm. Had a Clock G20, won't go there again.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: JGray Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/06/19
I've been interested in them for a while and just pulled the trigger on this one. Initial range results are looking good...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/06/19
I had a couple of them about 10 years ago. The gun itself is pretty good; the mags were not. I had very sporadic results getting through full mags without feed issues; sometimes it'd be fine all day, and other days would be endless mag problems. I got rid of them because of the mag issues. Maybe they've improved them now, I don't know.
Posted By: coat4gun Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/06/19
Had the same mag issue with my EAA 10 (mags had a red follower). Sent all 3 back to EAA and they replaced them with 3 Mec-gar mags at no charge. Haven't had a problem since. I have medium hands and the grip is good for me. For reference Glock 20 does not fit in my hand properly.... need the SF.
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/06/19
Originally Posted by coat4gun
Had the same mag issue with my EAA 10 (mags had a red follower). Sent all 3 back to EAA and they replaced them with 3 Mec-gar mags at no charge. Haven't had a problem since. I have medium hands and the grip is good for me. For reference Glock 20 does not fit in my hand properly.... need the SF.

Good info. My mags were either a red or orange follower as well. When I had mine though, EAA's customer service was pretty bad, and it wasn't worth waiting 6 months or more for them to get around to replacing mags, it made more sense to move to a different gun.

I'll also say that I had the same full size Witness steel model in 45 Auto, and it was one of the best 45 Autos I've ever had, with never a mag issue. The problems I experienced were strictly with the 10mm magazines.

Your comment on the G20 is par for the course with gen 2 & 3 G20 and G21 frames; they don't fit most peoples hands. The gen 3 SF and all gen 4 guns are shorter front to back in the grip, and fit most people's hands much better. They're also a lot more common these days than the older big frames that nobody wants.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/06/19
i had a .38 Super that had feeding issues as well. Never could get it to feed properly. I finally sold it to someone who wanted it for a project gun.
Posted By: Fotis Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/07/19
Yup I love it! Reliable accurate and nice looking!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/08/19
I bought Witness in 40 S&W when they first hit the market. Now I have CZ 75 40 & I love them both. Highly reliable, as much as my Browning Hi Power 40, the most reliable semi auto I own.
Posted By: Fotis Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/09/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dans40X Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/09/19
Wrap you hand around & shoot a SIG P220 R 5 10mm & you'll never look back or want/need any other 10mm pistol
Posted By: Fotis Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/09/19
Nice gun for sure. Love sigs but like my EAA much better
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by Dans40X
Wrap you hand around & shoot a SIG P220 R 5 10mm & you'll never look back or want/need any other 10mm pistol

Except that it's empty weight is as much as a G20 fully loaded and when the Sig is loaded, only holds half the rounds of the Glock. If Sig had made it a double stack they'd have a real contender in the 10mm game. It's a good gun, high quality, no doubt, Sig just missed the boat on this one. I'll take a 1911 10mm everyday over this Sig. As for the EAA, I've foundled so many, but never shot one. I keep wishing CZ with a higher reputation for quality control than EAA would make a 10mm option.
Posted By: 340mag Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
[Linked Image]

Ive wanted one of these in wonder finish

after shooting one a guy at a local range had, the pistol was extremely accurate
Posted By: 340boy Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
Is the EAA based on the CZ-75, by any chance? It sure reminds me of one in these pictures, at least?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by 340boy
Is the EAA based on the CZ-75, by any chance? It sure reminds me of one in these pictures, at least?
Yes, the Witness is a CZ-75 clone. Essentially it's a bare bones Bren Ten.
Posted By: DannyLandrum Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
I had the Witness steel hunter 6" in 10mm. Awesome quality but in the end too heavy for a woods gun for me. Also, I thought it was weird that it only held 12+1 in such a big gun, two rounds off from the advertised 14+1, 3 less than the XDM and Glock, and 4 less than a 2011. No, 14+1 is completely impossible, and 13+1 is impossible as a practical matter. 13+1 was so incredibly tight that even if you could get it in, after laboring for an hour, it would never be stripped by the slide.... not even a close call, and didn't matter if the mag was broke in. These are 12+1 period.

But the polymer Witnesses look like a pretty strong candidate for woods defense. I have the 5.25 XDM now myself, and will later complement it with a RIA 6" HC match.
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19

The small frames (9, 40, etc) are CZ-75 clones. The large frames (45, 10mm) are still very close to CZ-75 clones and significantly smaller than CZ's own large frame, the CZ-97.

That Witness Hunter is a sweet gun. There are a bunch of other very nice high end Witness models too.
Posted By: 340boy Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Yes, the Witness is a CZ-75 clone. Essentially it's a bare bones Bren Ten.

Originally Posted by Yondering

The small frames (9, 40, etc) are CZ-75 clones. The large frames (45, 10mm) are still very close to CZ-75 clones and significantly smaller than CZ's own large frame, the CZ-97.

That Witness Hunter is a sweet gun. There are a bunch of other very nice high end Witness models too.

Thanks for the info, Fellas.
I haven't owned, or even shot a CZ-75, but I have a P-07 and P-09 that I really like. Long story made short is, I think I would like this EAA. I miss shooting 10mm, but the G20 and G29(even the Gen 4) are just a bit too big for my hands.
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/10/19
I like the P-07 and P-09 a lot myself, and while they are nicer to carry on the belt (lighter weight), the steel frame Witness or CZ-75 shoot even easier.

For a 10mm Witness, I'd have no interest in the polymer frame models, but also in the steel frame lineup be aware there was a version for a while that you want to avoid - the slide had tapered sides and was prone to cracking at the ejection port with a steady diet of full power 10mm. The standard flat/slab sided slide (like that long slide Hunter shown above) is what you want for 10mm. Of course be aware of mag issues as mentioned above; if they've worked that out it'll be a great option.
Posted By: 340boy Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Yondering
I like the P-07 and P-09 a lot myself, and while they are nicer to carry on the belt (lighter weight), the steel frame Witness or CZ-75 shoot even easier.

For a 10mm Witness, I'd have no interest in the polymer frame models, but also in the steel frame lineup be aware there was a version for a while that you want to avoid - the slide had tapered sides and was prone to cracking at the ejection port with a steady diet of full power 10mm. The standard flat/slab sided slide (like that long slide Hunter shown above) is what you want for 10mm. Of course be aware of mag issues as mentioned above; if they've worked that out it'll be a great option.

Thanks again for the info, Yondering!
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/11/19
Glad to help.

All this talk of the Witness models has me thinking of picking up another myself, probably one of the competition models in 9mm though.
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/21/19
Well thanks to you guys for getting me thinking about it, this one followed me home yesterday. Not a 10mm, although they do make it that way. This one is a 9mm, Elite Stock II. The trigger will need some work but it's a real tack driver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/22/19
Your pictures are better than mine - you can see the model name on the slide. The 10mm I posted above is also a Stock II. I agree they need trigger work but it has smoothed up a bit after shooting it some. They do put a stout barrel them, don't they?
Posted By: 340boy Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/22/19
That's a nice pistol, Yondering.
cool
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/22/19
Originally Posted by JGray
Your pictures are better than mine - you can see the model name on the slide. The 10mm I posted above is also a Stock II. I agree they need trigger work but it has smoothed up a bit after shooting it some. They do put a stout barrel them, don't they?

I debated between that one and a Stock III. Both seem to be pretty good pistols. I actually like the look of the Stock III better with the black/walnut, but wanted the heavy barrel in the Stock II.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/23/19
Very nice looking pistol.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/29/19
I've got a 6" Witness Hunter that I picked up here a couple years ago. Love it. I have a chest holster for field carry but it is a bit much for concealed carry. I am looking at options for which mid-size 10mm to get. That Stock II looks good.
Posted By: Yondering Re: EAA 10 mm - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by gzig5
I am looking at options for which mid-size 10mm to get. That Stock II looks good.

Just to be clear in case the pictures are deceiving - I wouldn't consider the Stock II a "mid size" by any means. It's the same size frame as your Hunter (all of the newer competition frames in the US are large frames) but with a shorter "standard length" slide, and is approximately the size of a full size 1911 but wider and heavier. I don't think I'd want to use if for concealed carry. smile
© 24hourcampfire