Home
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
We are always talking about bear guns, defense guns, is a revolver better than an auto etc... Fun and interesting discussions.. How many of us still shoot the old .22 rimfire..??? Just before the ammo shortage, I bought a case of Fed. 22 HP.. It was to be used in my .22 pistols.. I later bought some Rem.. and more Fed. I have two large plastic jars full of the original case.. Counting up, I have 8 22's 7 revolvers, & one auto.. It just seems I never shoot these anymore, and at one time it was fun.. My stepdaughters love shooting when we get the chance, but seldom use 22's.. Anyone still shooting this delightful little round???
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Every time I go to the range, have too many.. Have to choose revolvers or semi's. High Standard Citation, S&W 41, Colt OMT, K22, S&W 22/32 HFT.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
got an old pitted buckmark that is a tackdriver. main farm gun
I like the older ones, 22/32 is a 1916, Colt a 1941, K22 1948, High Standard a 1969, Model 41 a 1970. All of them will outlast me and be passed down.
Had a few dozen .22 handguns over the years - Single Sixes, Browning Challenger, Colt Woodsman, several Ruger Mk's of various iterations, M17's, 18's, 63's, 34's and various others but as presbyopia developed over the last 10 years the rimfire handgun collection got smaller and smaller until nowadays I'm down to exactly one .22 pistol, a Ruger Mk III 6 7/8" slabside and it really doesn't get shot nearly as much as the .22 rifles. Even there I only have six .22 long guns.
Posted By: dla Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Pretty much just my two grandsons shoot 22lr. Ages 8 & 10. The 10yr old is almost ready to start on a 22lr pistol.
I like plinking once in a while - mostly pistol. But I doubt I shoot more than 100 rounds a year.
Recently got my first 22. A SS bisley single six. I have about fifty rounds through it.

The idea was to convert a single seven to bisley with parts from the 22. But the grip frames are apparently hand fitted, and are not directly interchangeable. So now, I have a 22 to shoot.

It is plenty accurate enough, and okay to shoot. The only thing to me, is it just does not do anything for me that I was not already doing with my lightest loads in several 327s. I have to figure out which of the grandkids to send it home with.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I have several and shoot at least one of them pretty much every day...
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I only own three (MKIV, Single Six, and K22).

I do a lot of target practice with the MKIV but I don't shoot the revolvers near as much as I should.

I'll have to work on that.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I only have one, a Single Six. No way to tell how many bricks of bulk pack ammo I put through it but it’s a bunch, I shot up a brick a week in it and a Savage single shot rifle for years growing up. I don’t carry it like I used to, it was always on the wheeler or in the truck from age 12-20. But I do take it when I go to the ranch to hang steel with my centerfire handguns. I’ll shoot a few cylinders or magazines out of one of the big guns and then shoot a few cylinders through the 22, saves powder and lead and stretches my shooting sessions.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I used my Browning Buckmark w/suppressor to get rid of a problem cat this afternoon. Black tom with an attitude, so I gave it a Viking funeral - tossed it on a brush pile that needed to burn and lit it up.
.22s are probably the single best option for learning shooting fundamentals. If you can’t shoot a .22 accurately and fast, shooting a centerfire accurately and fast won’t happen. Just about every range session of mine includes some .22 work. My latest favorite is the SW41. It’s practically a laser pistol in terms of accuracy. The gun doesn’t miss, I do. So it’s a great check of trigger, sights, and stance.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Shoot a .22 LR handgun about every time I go to the range. Love 'em!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by Cinch
I have several and shoot at least one of them pretty much every day...

same here.
Also have a S&W 52-2, not a 22LR. A 38 special in a semi.. It's my no excuse pistol. If I miss it's not the S&W's fault. The Model 41 is about the same.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I only have one, a Single-Six and I shoot it at least a couple times a week. Heck, I even shoot a Daisy Red Ryder a couple times a week.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I'm motivated to shoot mine even more now just to piss off bfr and doofus.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
My favorite pistol (and rifle) cartridge.
yup
I've taken to shooting at least 20 rounds a day out of a S&W 617 I picked up last year. I'm shooting gopher mounds to watch the dirt fly rather than paper for groups. I'll pick a couple mounds and shoot each a couple times as quickly as I can transition between them.

I used to do this with a bit with an Iver Johnson or a Single Six but not as avidly as reloading was a bit of a pain. The 617 is a ten shot and with the swing out cylinder unloading and loading is a breeze.

I have a handful of other 22 pistols but they are mostly semiautos. I don't shoot them as much as I lose the brass. Of the bunch, a Mossberg Brownie gets the most usage. With the revolvers I toss the empties in a box and then drop it off at the recycler when I go pick up reloading supplies. A small shoebox of brass was worth $25 the last time I was there.
Posted By: EdM Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Shoot a .22 LR handgun about every time I go to the range. Love 'em!

This. The latest an early Ruger 22/45 Lite. Crazy accurate.
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'm motivated to shoot mine even more now just to piss off bfr and doofus.

Screw bfr and doofus. Do it for YOU.....
Posted By: Youper Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I have one 22LR revolver that I use about the same amount as my other hand guns, and a 22LR bolt action that I rarely use. Those are the only 22LR I own. Time is limited, and usually there is something other than 22LR that has my interest.
Posted By: Waders Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I shoot a .22 pistol nearly every time I shoot. I also use them for bowling pin tops. I favor the Ruger MK II. I have a few of them, but the 5.5" Olympic model is my current favorite.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Waders Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
For no particular reason, here is our range set for a pin top competition. Typically, if you can clear the table in about 3.5 seconds or slightly faster, you'll be ahead of your opponent. When two fast shooters go head to head, typically one of them will try to go TOO fast and will only end up making a mess of his table--and 3.5 seconds will still be fast enough to win.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
One of my favorite cartridges....shoot them frequently!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I am down to a single .22LR handgun. Model 63 S&W, 4 inch barrel. I shoot it often, and it's my preferred carry gun when hiking Florida swamps.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by Waders
I shoot a .22 pistol nearly every time I shoot. I also use them for bowling pin tops. I favor the Ruger MK II. I have a few of them, but the 5.5" Olympic model is my current favorite.

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

Pretty rare for me to go shooting without some time on a .22lr. I don't have multiples of any model, but I have a fairly wide variety. Killed some sagerats with the CZ 452 just a few days ago.

The rimfire practice hasn't hurt my shooting with the bigger stuff.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I picked up a S&W Victory a few weeks ago, and realy like it! it shoots point aim, my club has a bunch of small steel targets pigs, rams Turkeys, had a ball the other day knocking them down!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I shoot a brick or two every year.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Shoot a couple three mags of 36gr hp CCI's through Wifes Walther 22LR couch gun a few times a year, clean, lightly oil, wipe down and back under the armrest it goes.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by Waders

[Linked Image]

Those are really nice. I shoot mark 2 also on a regular basis. Mine have round barrels instead of flat.
I’m also fond of my 41. Hasbeen
[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am down to a single .22LR handgun. Model 63 S&W, 4 inch barrel. I shoot it often, and it's my preferred carry gun when hiking Florida swamps.

Caught a very nice Model 63 with box on floridaguntrader last weekend. It got away from me. Sold at Lakeland gun show for full asking price.

The 657 4" .41 mag from the same owner, however, did not. smile
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I’d forgotten just how much I loved shooting .22 until my boys became of shooting age. Hella fun !

And besides the neighbors are less rattled when I kill squirrels here at home with a .22 instead of a 7mm-08 or a .338 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
[Linked Image]

My favorite barrel profile , and a shooter
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I have a couple Ruger .22s .. a 5.5" barreled blued Mk III target and a Single Six hunter. I don't shoot them all that much. Too many other guns, not enough opportunity to shoot. I would not feel right not having them, however.

Tom
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

Wow. That MK I is in beautiful shape. Don't see them like that very often here.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Sure do. Would never be without at least a couple of them.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]
Posted By: jmd025 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

Wow. That MK I is in beautiful shape. Don't see them like that very often here.

It’s had the crap shot out of it , just maintained well
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
I have a few, but my favorite is the Ruger SR22.
Been shooting it for about 8 years, find no faults.
Posted By: memtb Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/08/19
Not as much as we should. A great little round with a vast array of uses! memtb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We are always talking about bear guns, defense guns, is a revolver better than an auto etc... Fun and interesting discussions.. How many of us still shoot the old .22 rimfire..??? Just before the ammo shortage, I bought a case of Fed. 22 HP.. It was to be used in my .22 pistols.. I later bought some Rem.. and more Fed. I have two large plastic jars full of the original case.. Counting up, I have 8 22's 7 revolvers, & one auto.. It just seems I never shoot these anymore, and at one time it was fun.. My stepdaughters love shooting when we get the chance, but seldom use 22's.. Anyone still shooting this delightful little round???

The 22LR is my first choice,as a Bear Pistol...amongst other applications.

Hint...……………………..
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
I pack a Charter Arms Pathfinder 22 LR , 8 shot, stainless 2 inch barrel, every day here around the farm. It seems that there's not a day that goes by that I don't shot at something. I'm not a very good shot with a handgun, mostly because I don't shoot one much, but I can shoot this one about as good as anything I've ever carried.

I've a also got a Ruger Mark 2 that I packed before I got the Pathfinder, nothing at all wrong with it, as it's probably more accurate than the revolver. But the Charter Arms is stainless, and I actually like a revolver as an everyday carry gun.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I shoot a brick or two every year.
And I don't....so obviously, a correction must be made... laugh laugh

I have maybe a half-dozen 22rf handguns, but the main two I use (rarely - see above.. smile ) are the Ruger MK-II Gov't and a Ruger SR22...
Posted By: gunzo Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
The shortage hurt my enthusiasm a bit. I slowed my shooting & only used a third of my in stock ammo during that time. I could have shot more, but wasn't sure how long the shortage would last.
I've picked back up now but not yet at full steam for some reason. Some friends I used to shoot with have gone to other things.

This thread reminds me I should pick up the pace, too much fun, too little money, & great training not to be doing it more.
Never missed a lick and never will.

Hint...………………….
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
Shot more than a brick last week teaching women how to shoot handguns. They will shoot for hours if it is 22s. In total we burned about four bricks in three sessions. A 41 was probably responsible for half of the action.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
WyoCoyoHunter: I indeed do have a BUNCH of 22 pistols that I do not use (collector type) - they are on the collector side of my gun vault room. But I seem to always take a 22 revolver or more often a 22 semi-auto along on my trips afield.
Just day before yesterday here in SW Montana I took along on a Varmint Safari a Ruger MK-IV "Hunter" with 6 1/2" barrel and a red dot type sight.
It was great fun and I bonked several Ground Squirrels with it when they got to close.
Wind then began to howl here and haven't been out since.
Last week I shot several other 22 pistols including two of my own and three belonging to visiting friends - although one was in 17 Mach2 (with suppressor!) and another in 22 Magnum.
I am a big time "handloader" but do not partake of pistol cartridge reloading - so the rimfire pistols keep me in tune without being so expensive.
Yeah I "use'em" a lot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Shot more than a brick last week teaching women how to shoot handguns. They will shoot for hours if it is 22s. In total we burned about four bricks in three sessions. A 41 was probably responsible for half of the action.

FUN is what most are the quickest to forget. Trigger time has no equal and when coupled with FUN,dots get connected by literal default.

The gals tend to listen and learn MUCH faster.

Hint...…………………...
Posted By: FreeMe Re: 22's Do you use them?? - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

FUN is what most are the quickest to forget. Trigger time has no equal and when coupled with FUN,dots get connected by literal default.

The gals tend to listen and learn MUCH faster.

Hint...…………………...

Yep, and yep.
© 24hourcampfire