Home
Posted By: 117LBS Kel Tec - 05/23/19
I know Kel Tec doesn't get much love around here but this looks like more fun than a barrel of rimfire.

Serious question. Have I missed something, or why is it that other manufacturers are not looking into/offering higher capacity compact rimfire options?

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/cp33/

Seems like this is begging for a Sig romeo 5
Posted By: dla Re: Kel Tec - 05/23/19
I honestly believe that KelTec is light-years ahead of the other manufacturers with their designs.

But

The owner of the company does not seem interested in becoming a high-volume manufacturer. I can only assume KelTec is enjoying rather high margins on that 22lr pistol.

If current trends continue, I would expect Ruger to copy this pistol when the patents expire, or they reach a licensing deal with KelTec.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Kel Tec - 05/23/19
Ruger sure likes to copy Kel-Tec.

Their designers are sharp, and willing to move the bar.
Darn shame their execution isn't better.
The P3AT, and FP9 were the beginning of substantial trends.
But they seem to want to be in the bottom feeder class, and didn't
push top quality, or evolve the platforms.

The high tier people would have made the initial 380.
Then added sights.
Then a slide stop.
Then a double stack.
Then a bit longer grip.

And the "Gotta have the newest fad churners", would have bought a copy of every evolution.
Kel-Tec allowed everyone else to cover them in dust.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kel Tec - 05/23/19
If it's reliable, it will be worth having. That's saying a lot for Kel-Tec, though.
Posted By: dla Re: Kel Tec - 05/23/19
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Their execution is excellent. The problem is the forum retards who keep parroting the "Kel Tec is crap" line. And then noobs avoid Kel Tec because of what they read on a forum.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
I’ve owned several Kel-Tecs over the years. Never had a problem or failure to feed with ANY of them.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
I have had two P3AT's and although the first one was a bit finicky with hollow points, my current one eats Hydrashocks as well as FMJ without as much as a burp. Not much fun to shoot(only gun I shoot wearing gloves) but it is fine for it's intended purpose.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
My P3AT had a couple misfeeds, when new.
It actually works fine now, except,
If you short stroke the trigger.

Then it gets all cattywampus and jammed up.
You have to rack the slide, sometimes twice.
I don't trust it.

It's my fault, I have seen problems with D/A revolvers if you short stroke the
trigger just right. But it's hard to do, and you almost have to try.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by dla

Their execution is excellent. The problem is the forum retards who keep parroting the "Kel Tec is crap" line. And then noobs avoid Kel Tec because of what they read on a forum.

Kel Tec is crap.
Right up there with Hi-Points.

Posted By: Lonerider Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
I have 3 Keltecs. Two sub2000's and a PMR30. They have been perfectly reliable thus far. The PMR has 850 thru it without a hiccup. I have had one ejection problem with the 9mm sub2000 in 400 rounds and zero problems with the 40 cal sub 2000.I have a little over 1200 thru the .40 cal. The one issue was my fault and not the gun. I was shooting from the bench and the charging handle got hung up on the shooting bag.
I have had more issues with some other guns. No manufacturer is immune to letting poor quality get out of the door now and then.
YMMV
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by dla

The reason people say Kel Tec is crap is because they are crap. Might as well be shooting a Rooger.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
You guys and your fancy-schmancy KelTecs. I've got a Cobra Patriot 45 that out-slums your KTs by a mile.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
I’ve had three Kel-Tecs. The P-32 has been problem free, as has the Glock-mag Sub-2000. The folding 5.56 carbine (that used AR mags, can’t remember model number) jammed constantly.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by dla

Kel Tec is crap.
Right up there with Hi-Points.

Yeah....no. No comparison.

Now, Charter.....there's some crap. Ever since the first iteration failed it's been downhill from there.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Hawkeye: Agree completely about Kel Tec SU16 jamming. Sent an SU16B twice to Kel Tec. They refused to disclose to me what they did and never fixed the problem. Good idea poorly executed.
Posted By: dla Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by bobmn
Hawkeye: Agree completely about Kel Tec SU16 jamming. Sent an SU16B twice to Kel Tec. They refused to disclose to me what they did and never fixed the problem. Good idea poorly executed.

Classic stupid forum post.
Tell the truth, what did you do with the weapon? Are you a noob - ya know, one of those who still calls a magazine a "clip" and doesn't know how to clean/lube their weapon?

I have owned a lot of firearms. Every last one of them has had quirks. And living out west, I've shot a lot. IMO, a person should take pride in making their weapon work to it's potential and not giving up and whining on a forum.
Originally Posted by 117LBS
I know Kel Tec doesn't get much love around here but this looks like more fun than a barrel of rimfire.

Serious question. Have I missed something, or why is it that other manufacturers are not looking into/offering higher capacity compact rimfire options?

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/cp33/

Seems like this is begging for a Sig romeo 5

A couple things about this pistol that I don't like:
(1) I can't get it - it is super popular and it goes "out of stock" instantly
(2) I would like a longer barrel - 6" or greater, to eek out as much velocity as possible.
(3) There needs to be some kind of magazine speed loader. I'd go crazy stuffing a mag with my fingers.
(4) The street price is still sitting at near $500 - a bit of a gouge for a 22lr pistol IMO that isn't really target accurate.

I'm seeing how a RDS would be useful.
Novelty guns. Ugly crap.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Novelty guns. Ugly crap in my uneducated opinion .

Fixed it for you.
You do stupid well.
Here's your quote and I don't even have to change it:

" (4) The street price is still sitting at near $500 - a bit of a gouge for a 22lr pistol IMO that isn't really target accurate"

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kel Tec - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by bobmn

Yep, that's the model. I dumped it at a gun show.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19
So, are there good Kel-Tec models and bad ones, or just generally sketchy quality?

Posted By: viking Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19
Cool,I thought it was mag.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19
Originally Posted by kragman1
So, are there good Kel-Tec models and bad ones, or just generally sketchy quality?

I think few people complain about their tiny .32 and .380 pocket pistols. Most are happy with their Sub-2000 carbines, too, I believe.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19
Are the current versions of the PMR 30s good? Hear a lot about feeding problems....
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19
I have a PMR30 and have had no feeding issues with it. About 900 rounds thru it. I have 3 friends that also have them Two of them have had issues to some degree with them 1 other fellow like me has had no feeding problems. One of the fellows sent his back to Keltec. It was the older model and they fixed it and he is no longer having problems. The other fellow refuses to send it back and it just sits in his safe. They are REAL fussy about how you load the magazine but once you figure that out they work and are verry accurate. They have real good triggers. They are very lite and easy to carry. It took me a bit to get used the that lite weight when shooting. I found it actually difficult to hold steady. I have shot rabbits and squirrels out to 50 yards off hand with it. Great woods bumming gun. It is also a bit ammo sensitive
Posted By: dla Re: Kel Tec - 05/25/19

Manufacturing quality is good. No canted barrels, misfit wood, missing parts, etc.
But some of their creations are ugly, and they use plastic everywhere, so people relate that to "quality". For the noob, it can be hard to separate form from function. And Kel Tec offers function that is often unmatched. And even when Ruger copies them, the results are often heavier, larger.

And just when everything makes sense, KelTec does stuff like the KSG - a 14 shot shotgun. Why? Must be be for the same guy who likes the Judge and dreams of being attacked by killer pumpkins.

If you want a 4lb 9mm carbine, you don't look to Ruger - you buy Keltec. Want a 5lb 5.56 folding carbine? Only KelTec.

Probably my biggest beef with KelTec is their lack of manufacturing capacity. They certainly don't have a problem with selling their products.
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: Kel Tec - 05/26/19
Are the current versions of the PMR 30s good? Hear a lot about feeding problems....

I have the PMR 30 and the CMR 30. Both have functioned 100%. Load the magazines properly and they are good to go.
Posted By: johnw Re: Kel Tec - 05/26/19
My one experience with Kel Tec is the pf9 one of my sons bought last year.

Fussy about ammo and a trigger that no one likes. It seems functional with the right ammo. Mechanical accuracy is OK for it's purpose...
© 24hourcampfire