Home
Posted By: Gun_Doc .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles? - 05/23/19
A couple of other threads and comments on them have led me to this question:

Those of you with .45 Colt revolvers that have additional .45 ACP cylinders, how do you like them and how well do they shoot when in the .45 ACP configuration? I'm asking primarily about Ruger revolvers, but any experience is welcome.

Thanks,
Gun Doc
I'm not perhaps the most accurate handgunner, but I have a .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger 5.5" Bisley and have no complaints as to its accuracy with either cartridge.

The weight of the gun makes the recoil of .45 ACP almost non-existent. It really is a cupcake.

Here is a link to one of my early range reports with some pics: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...olt-and-315-gr-cast-bullets#Post12767197
[Linked Image]
Posted By: g5m Re: .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles? - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
[Linked Image]

Nice!
Mine is very accurate with the 45 Colt cylinder and plenty accurate for plinking with the 45 acp cylinder.
I enjoy shooting my .45 with either cylinder very much. If something happened to it, I’d buy another one.

I have Eagle Sambar Stag grips on it. Looks great.
Posted By: RJM Re: .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles? - 05/24/19
Mackay Sagebrush has one in stainless that I believe is basically only shot with .45 ACP...which is good since his daughter has appropriated all his .45 Colt ammo for her Vaqueros.....

Bob
I have a 5.5" Bisley convertible in stainless. I enjoy being able to shoot either 45 Colt and 45 ACP in it. It's accurate with either.
I'v got a 5.5" BH & the ACP cylinder & like ammo was more accurate than the Colt combo until I reamed the throat for the Colt cyl. Now they hard to tell apart. Mine spends most of its time with the ACP cyl. installed. Lots of fun.
Loved my BH 4 5/8 stainless . Recoil not a problem in either caliber but used ACP more just because of cost. Equally accurate with either round. Just gave it to my nephew with 200 rds of Colt and 900 rds of ACP.
I had the blue 4-5/8" Blackhawk convertible. It shot well with both cylinders, and of course was pretty mild with factory loads of either one.

A tip - with the 45 Auto cylinder, you can carry a loaded 1911 magazine as a "speedloader" and thumb the loaded rounds from the mag right into the loading gate and chambers. It's not really a speedloader, but a convenient and pretty flat way to carry extra rounds.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Those of you with .45 Colt revolvers that have additional .45 ACP cylinders, how do you like them and how well do they shoot when in the .45 ACP configuration? I'm asking primarily about Ruger revolvers, but any experience is welcome.

Thanks,
Gun Doc

I love mine. It’s a Cimarron Cattleman. I’ve actually never shot it with the .45 Colt cylinder, just the .45 ACP cylinder, due to cheaper ammo. I really need to try it out with some Colt.

Shoots great. Dead center of point of aim at 15 yards. Great fun playing an Eastwood Western character at the range.
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Thanks,
Gun Doc

Good enough that my son keeps his 45 ACP cylinder in his 4 5/8" Blackhawk pretty much all the time. He knows he can raid the ammo supply in my loading room and always find 45 ACP. smile

Seems reasonable!

Guy
Bastids, enameling SOB,s, now you got me wanting one. lol
I've had several. They're okay, especially if you like the ACP. A better option is the Smith and Wesson Governor. It fires both 45 Colt and 45 ACP as well as 410 2 1/2". Comes with half moon and full moon clips. No extra cylinder to lose.
Originally Posted by RJM
Mackay Sagebrush has one in stainless that I believe is basically only shot with .45 ACP...which is good since his daughter has appropriated all his .45 Colt ammo for her Vaqueros.....

Bob

Well that is to be expected since a very benevolent pard of Mac's gave her the Vaquero's...... whistle grin

That was a class act, Bob!
Mine is a S&W 25-5. My gunsmith made me a .45 ACP cylinder out of a spare .357 Mag cylinder. I had it made for pin shoots in the old days. The revolver is very accurate with either cylinder.
Originally Posted by viking
Bastids, enameling SOB,s, now you got me wanting one. lol

I hear you. I finally pulled the trigger on a Ruger Bisley myself.
Posted By: g5m Re: .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles? - 05/26/19
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

That's funny!
Originally Posted by MnFn
I enjoy shooting my .45 with either cylinder very much. If something happened to it, I’d buy another one.

That sounds like a beauty. Can you put some pics up?
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by MnFn

That sounds like a beauty. Can you put some pics up?

Been thinking about doing that for my Cattleman for months now. Spendy, though.
© 24hourcampfire