Home
Anyone use the Phil Shoemaker Buffalo Bore outdoorsman ammo in a Shield? I like carrying that little Shield, but have not tried the high pressure ammo in it yet. Would be a nice little woods carry piece if it seemed reliable with said ammo. Seems like it would be fine, if not fed a steady diet of the stuff.

Isn’t that the pistol that Phil used?
He had a S&W 3953, I think that's a steel frame like a 1911.
What does the owner's manual say about +P ammo in the Shield? I have not tried it in a Shield, but I have shot the Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast Outdoorsman round out of a Gen 4 Glock 19, Gen 4 Glock 26, two Glock 43s, and a Sig P365 without any issues or malfunctions. (The round did fail the plunk test in an early Gen 5 Glock 19, and I did not attempt to see if it would function with the barrel in the gun.)
Originally Posted by NMiller
He had a S&W 3953, I think that's a steel frame like a 1911.

Lightweight alloy frame. The 3953 is the DAO version of the 3913.
Says you can use +P but not +P+.

"+P may result in more regular maintenance"
All I can say, is that you might want to put a Hogue Handall on that before shooting that load.
I shoot +P in my Shield and see no issues. I dont shoot a lot of it, but it has had several hundred rounds of HST 124 & 147 gr. +P . I carry the 124 gr. HST +P in it and dont expect problems.
What I find interesting is that according to the Buffalo Bore website, the 38 Special Outdoorsman load is slightly more powerful than the 9mm Outdoorsman.
You could call Tim Sundies of Buffalo Bore and he will have and answer for you. It is what I did about a weapon and load he had for it.
© 24hourcampfire