Home
Some of you have run a few variations....comments?
I've owned Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5 Glocks, but only Gen 2, 3 and 4 Model 19s. I think I prefer either the Gen 2 or 5, because of the absence of finger grooves on either. The Gen 5 gets the nod due to no finger grooves and enhanced mag release. This, even though I've never owned a Gen 5 Model 19. I do, however, own and carry a Gen 5 Glock 26. All my other currently owned Glocks are Gen 4. Wish I had never sold that Gen 2 Model 19 back in the 1990s.
Gen 2, ‘cause that is what I have. 😜
I bought a new gen 4-19 and I could have bought a gen 5-19 for less money.

I don't like the forward serrations near the muzzle.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

There are no forward serrations on the Gen 5 Glock 19, 17, or 26.

[Linked Image]
I stand corrected.

The Gen 5, I thought I was comparing my gen 4 to, must have been another model?

It had a silver barrel, and forward cocking grooves.

Virgil B.
Perhaps you saw a Glock Model 45.

[Linked Image]
The only 19 I have is a Gen 5. I really like it. I'm a lefty and it's totally ambidextrous. Also, mine came with Ameriglo sights which I'm very happy with. Carry it loaded with Underwood 124 Grain +P+ Gold Dots and a spare Gen 5 G17 mag in my pocket.

Ron
My favorite is the one I left on the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse when I bought my M&P 2.0 instead.
I just felt that the bore axis was too low.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
My favorite is the one I left on the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse when I bought my M&P 2.0 instead.
I just felt that the bore axis was too low.

Were you getting slide bite with the Glock?? I didn't realize the M&P had a higher bore axis.
Gen 4, the most Shot. Finger groves or not, it makes absolutly no diff to me.
My only 19 is a Gen 2. It has been updated from time to time by a police armorer. It has stayed my favorite despite owning a 42, 43, Gen 3 Glock 27 and a Gen 4 Glock 26.

I plan on a new Gen 5 MOS later this year. That way I don't have to grind the finger grooves off as I did on my G27.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I just felt that the bore axis was too low. grin

Were you getting slide bite with the Glock?? I didn't realize the M&P had a higher bore axis.

There, I fixed it. Just yanking chains. smile
Originally Posted by smallfry

For many people, the finger grooves on the 19 fit their hands just right. For others, they just don't fit right. It depends on hand size. For me, the finger grooves on the 17 fit my hand just right, but not so with the 19. This is the reason they should never have introduced the finger grooves. .
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

There are no forward serrations on the Gen 5 Glock 19, 17, or 26.

[Linked Image]

The Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS has forward serrations.
I've owned the 2, 3, and 4, and recently got to shoot the 5 a bit; I still like the gen 4 best. The 4 is an easy pick over the 2 and 3 as it includes improvements over those models, and I didn't really love the gen 5. It had a better trigger (stock out of the box anyway) but didn't shoot any better than my gen 4s and I didn't like the feel of it as much. I'd probably remove the right side mag release and try to smooth out the bottom half moon cut in the front strap if I bought one, and it'd probably be OK after that.
Originally Posted by Yondering
I've owned the 2, 3, and 4, and recently got to shoot the 5 a bit; I still like the gen 4 best. The 4 is an easy pick over the 2 and 3 as it includes improvements over those models, and I didn't really love the gen 5. It had a better trigger (stock out of the box anyway) but didn't shoot any better than my gen 4s and I didn't like the feel of it as much. I'd probably remove the right side mag release and try to smooth out the bottom half moon cut in the front strap if I bought one, and it'd probably be OK after that.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about that slide release on the right side of my Gen 5 Glock 26, being right handed.
I have two gen 2 19’s that I will keep and won’t ever sell, I have a Gen 3 as well I don’t like as much. Although I now carry a P365 I also really like the gen 5 G45 with night sights. I guess I like it because it handles like a gen 2! I can see my self owning the G45 in the future. The problem with glocks is after you have all the magazines, know how to take the gun apart, replace stuff on it, despite the fact they are horribly inaccurate and have a horrid trigger they are a very good close range blasters. whistle

For many people, the finger grooves on the 19 fit their hands just right. For others, they just don't fit right. It depends on hand size. For me, the finger grooves on the 17 fit my hand just right, but not so with the 19. This is the reason they should never have introduced the finger grooves. .
The peak of the finger groves fit right in the center of my fingers. It doesn’t matter, I so squeeze the $hit out these pistols the “comfort” disappears and the purchase I get is what matters. Finger groves or not I don’t care. On a hunting handgun it’s usually a different story, though when I hunt with my Glocks it isn’t.
The peak of the finger groves fit right in the center of my fingers. It doesn’t matter, I so squeeze the $hit out these pistols the “comfort” disappears and the purchase I get is what matters. Finger groves or not I don’t care. On a hunting handgun it’s usually a different story, though when I hunt with my Glocks it isn’t.

I would definitely grind the grooves off if I was in that situation. It's pretty easy to do.
I have 3's, 4's & a 5. The trigger on the 5 is the best as delivered, & I'd choose it for that alone; otherwise the G4's are my favorite.

Finger grooves on the grip are fine with me, but I'm just as happy w/o them...............not an issue either way for me.

MM
Gen 3.... The finger grooves happen to fit my hand and I like the stippling on the grip better than the later Gens...

I have had one for a good 15 years...all that was done was change the sights to TruGlo TFOs...

Bob
I have a Gen 4 and Gen 5 and am a fan of the finger-groves so the G4 is my favorite for the G19 but I think the most enjoyable Glock to date is my new G48......LOVE that thin frame!
Good feedback folks, appreciate them.

Figured the finger grooves would be a subjective issue.

The triggers I had heard varied. And the recoil spring - is a double on the Gen 4 vs 1-3s right?
Triggers vary on all of them, and all benefit from improvement (on pretty much every handgun, not just Glock). Gen 4 and 5 use dual recoil springs, but are easily swapped out for solid guide rods and single springs if you want, same as previous generations.

The stock gen 5s seem to have slightly better triggers than most gen 4s, but parts to upgrade the trigger are much more common for gen 4 and prior. The gen 5 is a completely different trigger system, so a lot of the common tweaks and tricks for the previous generations don't apply.
Good info to know, thanks for the comments everyone.
© 24hourcampfire