Home
Posted By: bluestem SW Governor - 07/12/19
Anyone have one?

Opinions?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Like mine much better than the Judge I had.
Great snake gun for around the Ranch.
Posted By: bluestem Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

What load do you use for snakes?

How close do you get and does one shot generally end it?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Originally Posted by bluestem
Anyone have one?

Opinions?

Handled one in the gun shop. Tempting, but couldn't think of a mission for it. They seem to be quality built revolvers. Surprisingly light, too, due to aluminum frame. Certainly a much better choice than the Taurus Judge.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Unless you have a snake problem, I see no use for them. They are quality guns, unlike the Judge.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Unless you have a snake problem, I see no use for them. They are quality guns, unlike the Judge.

100% agree.
Can't think of a better gun for snakes.

Can't think of another good use for that gun.
Wouldn't the Federal 000 buckshot load or 45 LC be a decent self-defense application?
Wouldn't the Federal 000 buckshot load or 45 LC be a decent self-defense application?

I prefer a 260 gr WFN LBT Hard Cast bullet at 1000 FPS personally

What load do you use for snakes?

How close do you get and does one shot generally end it?

# 9 Shot skeet loads

I'm certainly not saying that anything out of the Governor would make for the ideal self-defense load.

A Ruger Security Six would be my primary self-defense handgun, but I would think the Governor would make for a decent secondary type revolver.

I'm certainly not saying that anything out of the Governor would make for the ideal self-defense load.

A Ruger Security Six would be my primary self-defense handgun, but I would think the Governor would make for a decent secondary type revolver.

Mine rides in the door of my pickup. If someone tries to carjack me they’re fugged. 🤠
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Love mine. It's well made and perfect for what I use it for. I've killed several copperheads with it while bushhogging. Main use is to shoot rats when bushhogging pastures......and some of them are at pretty good distance. Carried in a HPG kit bag it's perfect for that use.

I've never shot 45 LC out of it but have put a bit of ACP through it and can quickly put 6 on a 12x12 steel plate at 25 yards fairly easy. Never shot it for groups. It's one of the last things I'd carry for self defense (because of size) but I have no doubt it would be adequate with either of the 45's.

[Linked Image]

Sure, but there are handguns in much more convenient packages at least as effective as 000 buck 410 ga out of a handgun barrel. You do get a bit of a spread with buck, at distance, but I think penetration isn't so good out of a short handgun barrel like on these. Each shot ball is likely to hit like a .32 S&W Long.
Posted By: dla Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
A gimmick created to empty the pockets of the ignorant.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: SW Governor - 07/12/19
Originally Posted by dla
A gimmick created to empty the pockets of the ignorant.

That would be a Keltec...
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SW Governor - 07/13/19
Anyone have one?

Opinions?
I like mine. Unlike the Judge, they work. I've had three Judges and all exhibited the same propensity for being unreliable double-action. The Governor is reliable. As has already been mentioned, they are surprisingly light. The only reason they are not popular for self-defense is that the day of the revolver has passed. This is not to say people don't use the revolver anymore, but it has been eclipsed by the semi-auto.

The Governor is a good compromise that does many things well. If you want specificity, it is probably not your gun except for snakes, but if you want something that is very versatile and poor at nothing, get one.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SW Governor - 07/13/19
Yeah, it would seem to be a good gun for a farmer who wants only one handgun for all common purposes relative to living on a farm, snakes, pests, defense of self, home, and family against all predators, both four legged and two.

For the typical gun enthusiast who's looking for an ideal CCW, there are way too many better choices more specifically designed for that.
Posted By: DaveDaDeerslayer Re: SW Governor - 07/13/19
I love mine. It lives in a cubby hole in in the garage. Carry it when I'm working in the yard. We do have the odd copperhead once in a while.

What I like is the versatility. I load mine so the first one round under the hammer is a Winchester AA #8 skeet load. Next is a Federal #4, followed by two Winchester PDX1 defenders (3 discs and 12 BB's). Finally, 2 Federal 45 ACP 230 gr. Hydro shocks in a two shot moon clip. I keep two full moon clips of Hydro shocks in a speed loader holder for reloads if needed.

Seems to me it will take care of anything that needs shooting.
Posted By: Bugger Re: SW Governor - 07/13/19
I found that 6 rapidly fired shots from a model 19 and cast bullets not to be as effective as I wished for rattle snake application. Ask my how high I can jump and how far, with my jeans around my ankles and me in a crouching position.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SW Governor - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by Bugger
I found that 6 rapidly fired shots from a model 19 and cast bullets not to be as effective as I wished for rattle snake application. Ask my how high I can jump and how far, with my jeans around my ankles and me in a crouching position.
There are lots of workable options in pistols, for snakes. The Governor is beyond workable and the best option. The model 19 is a great gun, but it don't fire 410's.

The Judge would be great if it worked.
Posted By: gunzo Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Not a spot for a big macho 440 grain heat treated extra wide meplat fired from a .477 Wristenbreakur. In some situations shot shells rule.

[Linked Image]

I could never make myself buy a Judge, they just had a clunky feel to me.
I looked at a Governor the other day & it appeared that S&W had put as much effort into the fit and finish of that gun as anything they've made in quite some time. If the dogs build back up at the place I used to go, I will have a Governor next trip. Probably as important or more useful than a large percentage of the handguns I have.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Speaking of snakes, just last night (right after dark) I went out back to lock up my chickens, and as I reached for the gate to the hen house area, I noticed a fairly large Florida Corn Snake along the top length of it. I almost put my hand right on it, in the low light (I had the head lamp set to low power). Not something I would want to eliminate, though, since they are harmless, and I don't think I've ever even lost an egg to one, so I just gently poked it till it slithered along and hopped to a nearby tree branch.

PS One of my dogs kills these things on sight like a flash of lightning. One second it's coiled up in defensive posture, and the next second it's headless or its head is hanging off it. You can't even hardly see her move, she's so fast on snakes.
Posted By: MOGC Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by gunzo
Not a spot for a big macho 440 grain heat treated extra wide meplat fired from a .477 Wristenbreakur. In some situations shot shells rule.

[Linked Image]

I looked at a Governor the other day & it appeared that S&W had put as much effort into the fit and finish of that gun as anything they've made in quite some time. If the dogs build back up at the place I used to go, I will have a Governor next trip. Probably as important or more useful than a large percentage of the handguns I have.

So did you shoot that rattler right there and then?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by Bugger

Were you taking a dump or did it have something to do with your username??? smile
Posted By: gunzo Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by gunzo

[Linked Image]

So did you shoot that rattler right there and then?

Yes, No longer made Remington 45 acp #12 shotshell load. A solid projectile would have been out of the question in that location I think.

A pic taken as it happened but a few minutes after the actual shooting of the snake that had already struck at my friends leg. It was coiled back up & wanted to get somebody really bad. But just after the shot we had to catch my friend,, calm him down & check him for punctures. After that morning we no longer piled rifle cases all over the ground & kept the truck doors closed.
Posted By: johnw Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are lots of workable options in pistols, for snakes. The Governor is beyond workable and the best option. The model 19 is a great gun, but it don't fire 410's.

The .410 is mostly overkill for snakes at close range. The model 19 is ideal for the purpose. Even a J-frame .38 is awesome.

I was crawling under a fence into the old family cemetery plot near Ravenden a few years ago. My ears are bad and I can't hear them rattle, but as I turned my head I saw the blur of a tail about 2' from my face. One shot from a Charter Arms .22 with CCI shot loads calmed things down right now.
Posted By: johnw Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
If only CCI made a load to eliminate mosquitos...
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Originally Posted by johnw

Posted By: Phoneman Re: SW Governor - 07/14/19
Mine shoots 45acps as good as any revolver ive ever fired. 45 colts arent as accurate. Mine rides in my truck and then when i go out in boat i throw bird shot in it for snakes
Posted By: bluestem Re: SW Governor - 07/15/19

The .410 is mostly overkill for snakes at close range. The model 19 is ideal for the purpose. Even a J-frame .38 is awesome.

I was crawling under a fence into the old family cemetery plot near Ravenden a few years ago. My ears are bad and I can't hear them rattle, but as I turned my head I saw the blur of a tail about 2' from my face. One shot from a Charter Arms .22 with CCI shot loads calmed things down right now.

Give me overkill every time.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SW Governor - 07/15/19

Give me overkill every time.
Me too.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: SW Governor - 07/27/19

https://www.thermacell.com

These products work on mosquitos.
© 24hourcampfire