Home
Spent some time at the pistol range again today with a couple of my OM Rugers, one is an early 6.5" flat top 44 & the other is a slicked up Bobby Tyler 41 Shorty that he color cased for me & installed one of 2dogs outstanding front sights.
The 44 has already proven it's self in the field having taken a couple of deer with the same load, 10 grs of Unique & a very fine 243 gr Miha HP. This load runs a bit over 1100 fps. The 41 magnum was shooting one of the all time great 41 loads, 8 grs of Unique & a Miha 210 gr HP clocking a bit over 1000 fps from the OM shorty.
As always I was using the Elmer Keith siting position with a piece of leather between my knees so I don' get an owee! Powder burns hurt! Most times the cylinder is past my knees but there are times when I get careless. The distance I usually shoot is 65 yds, same as me & sheriff Russell Cottle shot a couple of weeks back. First up was the OM 44, the very first shot went a bit high, the next four were pretty decent for old eyes. I painted the steel & shot almost the exact same group, one a tick high & 4 about the size of my palm.
Next up was the OM 41 shorty & this little power house is amazing, great trigger & that 2 dogs front sight, this thing flat shoots. I don't actually think it shoots any better than the 44 flat top but it "see's" better because of that front sight! I wish I had one on it but because I want to leave it original I won't change. The stocks on the 44 are some Silver Maple I made & on the 41 it's some fancy Walnut I was going to throw away because it had a big hole right through the middle, I decided to repair them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/CSfBqaUh.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/aKmZ5Izh.jpg[/img]

Dick
Nice!!! Love those old 3 screw Blackhawks!
Great sixguns and fine shooting, Idaho.
Those are really nice. Bobby did a great job on that one. I'd say some deer are going to be in danger this year. Looks like you are ready.
Posted By: RJM Re: Testing a Couple of Old Models - 08/18/19
Beautiful guns Dick....
You have a couple of winner's there! Very nice old models.
Beautiful 6-guns, Dick. And nice shooting..
Thanks guys, now I just need a live target. Made some elevation adjustments & I have 3 guns ready. Last year at this time I had 2 deer & 1 antelope down but still haven't received the depredation permits yet. Need a little more trigger time with the 10.5" 357 Maximum & life will be good. Bob, things must be busy over around Twin Falls?

Dick
Nice!!!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Testing a Couple of Old Models - 08/18/19
Nice work Dick. The boys and I were out shooting my 4 5/8" 44 Mag Flattop, among others, yesterday. Loaded 9 gr of Universal under 250 gr 429421's.
© 24hourcampfire