Home
Posted By: Idaho1945 Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
It was too hot to shoot from 65 yds today so I moved up to 40 yds so I could get in the shade of one of the storage containers & set up my folding chair in he shade, nice! I was shooting my old model 45 shorty convertible using the 260 gr Keith & 9 grs of Unique. This might be one of the classic loads in one of the classic calibers. I shot this load yesterday from 65 yds but the sun was high & my JB Weld front sight that Fermin hates so bad took a real beating. I couldn't see very good because I was getting some glare off that ramp front sight. I did manage to keep all 5 shots on steel but it was shaky.
Today in the shade things went much better, I settled in with no sun & slammed 5 of those big Keith slugs into the center of the steel clanger & then ran 5 off of the plate rack & went home happy. This is a fine shooting OM & I've yet to ever use the ACP cylinder. Took a muley doe with this gun last year at 58 yds through the heart. I did take the factory stocks off after yesterday, they are just too thin. I found an old set I had made a long time ago that fit pretty close.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick

Very nice.
Posted By: RGK Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
NICE stocks!
Bob
Posted By: EdM Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
Nice piece. I still own a pretty mint 4 5/8" one like yours but traded off my long barreled convertible to Alan Harton for labor for this 44 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
Nice shooting, Dick. And, beautiful guns, fellas.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
Fine shooting Dick, have you had the cylinder throats opened? I'm looking hard at a set of Texas extended grips for the old Vaquero.

https://texasgrips.com/product/ruger-blackhawk-extended-xr3-red/

That's a great Harton 44, Ed.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
Sarge, no I haven't had the throats touched on this one, for some reason it shoots .452" bullets just fine so I'm a happy shooter. And Ed has some of the nicest handguns around, he's earned them. Being older & having never met him I'm pretty sure I'm not in his will.........

Dick
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/22/19
OM in 45 Colt is one of the "must haves" on my bucket list...
Posted By: dave284 Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/26/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice shooting, Dick. And, beautiful guns, fellas.

+1.

Loving the grips on both of those.
Posted By: EdM Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/26/19
Originally Posted by kragman1
OM in 45 Colt is one of the "must haves" on my bucket list...

Indeed. Many years ago I traded a pretty mint Rem M721 270 for this pretty mint 45 Colt, the one top. The other is my 41 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/26/19
Very nice, Ed.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/26/19
Ed, I'll say it again, you, Robb B. & a few others I know sure have some nice six guns. Pretty sure you'd have to shoot me if I got near your safe..........
Here's a few photo's of our local shooting range, not bad for a little town of 3,000. We have 3 matches a week & usually shoot year round, one pistol match & 2 rifle matches that change each week. In the first photo on the far left you can see the roof of our rimfire range with shooting benches. Next is our long range area out to 300 yds with 7 concrete shooting benches. Then you can see our Silhouette range where they are holding our Saturday match which happens to be long range 22 rimfire this week. We get shooters from Idaho, Utah & Wyoming almost every week. You better bring your "A" game when you come, there are some shooters in this little town. One of our black powder guys finished top 5 at the Quigley Shoot in Montana this year, I think he was #3 out of several hundred shooters.
Over to the very far right is seven pistol bays with steel targets in them & the 2 storage unis have all our good targets in them for when we hold regular matches. All of this is free to the public, no charge & open year round. We've received a lot of NRA grants over the years & Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Funds also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Shooting the OM 45 - 08/27/19
"All of this is free to the public, no charge & open year round."

Tip of the hat to you and the others who make that happen!
© 24hourcampfire