Home
Posted By: Seven_Heaven S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
I picked up a minty S&W Model 17-4 recently and was wondering about the grips. From what I've seen on the web the grips do not appear to be factory or standard.

Removed the screw but the fit is so tight that I was afraid I'd damage them if I tried to force them off, so I couldn't check for markings inside.

Anyone have any idea of who made them and what type of wood used or if they were in fact standard at one time? Gun was made in 1980.

[Linked Image]photo upload site
Posted By: lastround Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
The grips are definitely not S&W grips, but somebody else may know who did make them. The one thing I can say for sure is that you have a jewel of a 22 revolver there. IMO, there is none better than the K-22 Model 17. I have owned two and one day, if lucky enough, will own another.

PS. The best way to safely remove tight fitting grips is to loosen the screw a bit then push on the screw head to pop the off-side loose,
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
nice. i really like the model 17. i prefer the old school cheese grater grips.
Posted By: ElJuero Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Rogers grips
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Safariland grips.

I had some on a Smith M25-2, and another set on a M28, back in the waybackwhens. I liked them then, and probably would, now. I had those guns back in the early '80s, and those grips were available then, but I don't remember seeing them much after the early '80s. They didn't last long in the market, though I can't imagine why, they are pretty comfortable with guns without much recoil. I never shot them with anything more than a stiff .357 load, and they were good for that. They might be less fun with a full-up .44 Magnum.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by ElJuero
Rogers grips

Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Safariland grips.

I had some on a Smith M25-2, and another set on a M28, back in the waybackwhens. I liked them then, and probably would, now. I had those guns back in the early '80s, and those grips were available then, but I don't remember seeing them much after the early '80s. They didn't last long in the market, though I can't imagine why, they are pretty comfortable with guns without much recoil. I never shot them with anything more than a stiff .357 load, and they were good for that. They might be less fun with a full-up .44 Magnum.

Safariland bought out Rogers about that time, so they might be marked Rogers. I'd forgotten about that.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Removed the screw but the fit is so tight that I was afraid I'd damage them if I tried to force them off, so I couldn't check for markings inside.

Loosen the screw but do not take it all the way out. Tap on screw head, and grip on the opposite side will come loose.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
I like the looks of them. Seems to be a palm swell and on the left at that. I would like to get a 17-? with those or find them somewhere. Nice gun and good for practice, plinking, and squirrel hunting. Be Well, Rusty
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by ElJuero
Rogers grips

Safariland grips.

Safariland bought out Rogers about that time, so they might be marked Rogers. I'd forgotten about that.

I believe you guys are correct. Did an image seaarch and came up with an identical pair said to be made by Rogers.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/13/19
Plastic but boy do they feel great. Got a set just like them on my Nickel M19-3 4" .MB
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/14/19
VERY nice, Seven Heaven!

Revolver looks to be in great shape. Congrats!
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/14/19
Best .22 revolver ever made, and that's a nice one!
Bob
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: S&W Model 17 - 09/15/19
Rogers Burlwood
© 24hourcampfire