Home
I have a build up on the cylinder face of two revolvers so that it's starting to interfere with locking up and rotating the cylinders. What's the best way to remove it?
Kroil and a brush works for me.
Originally Posted by ronc
Kroil and a brush works for me.

Agree on the Kroil and brush if it’s severe, but usually I just use Iosso Gun bright paste. Let sit a couple min and wipe off the crud.
I have an old note from someone on here that says 50/50 Hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar.Don't know where or who it came from or if it works

Green scrub pad and Hoppes, etc., etc.
If your guns are stainless or have a plated finish (EN, hard-chrome, nickel, etc.), these products remove lead and carbon deposits quickly and easily.

Don't use it on blued guns, however.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

https://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gu...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B002IEIDG4
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have an old note from someone on here that says 50/50 Hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar.Don't know where or who it came from or if it works

Saddlesore,

This is known as the 'Dip' and is used for cleaning the lead out of rimfire suppressors. It actually puts the lead into solution...

Because of this it is quite hazardous, and must be handled with care and disposed of as hazardous waste.

I use it for my rimfire suppressors, but many folks will not touch it due to it's toxicity,

Jerry

Also I should note that it will damage aluminum AND it is to be used with titanium and/or stainless steel only as it will attack carbon steel.
First is to get rid of soft bullets. Lead build up on the outside will mean you have a chore to protect finish.
There was a product called the "Lewis Lead Remover" sold by Hoppes, last I heard. It uses a bronze mesh patch that mechanically removes the lead without any damage to a steel barrel. I don't know if they still sell it, but it worked fairly well. I used them for magnum revolvers, but never needed them with autoloading pistol barrels.
Cylinder face...Kroil and a brush or lead wipes if stainless. Barrel...Kroil and brush (wind pure copper scouring pad material onto an old brush) or Lewis lead out. Barrel gap...smash a .223 case neck flat in a vise and use it as a brass scraper (paired with Kroil).
buy your self one of those brasso pads, and cut a piece to wrap around a brush. takes lead out in no time.
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have a build up on the cylinder face

Flitz.
A pencil eraser works quite well.
© 24hourcampfire