Home
Posted By: EdM Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
I have eyeballed these since they came out. CDNN had a pretty good deal ($600) on them a few days ago with $5 shipping. It is really well put together, square front sight (that I require), smooth DA with a bit of creep in SA that I will fix. Nice wood on the grips, slight bevel on the chambers and a really nice deep crown. It feels great in the hand. I suspect it will be a great shooter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
I have wanted one of those as well. Nice.
Posted By: skeen Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
Nice revolver.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
I hate to break this to you but it isnt "The Miracle". In other words a 9MM. You have fallen short of making yourself stylish and invigorated.
My condolences to you.
Posted By: RJM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
You will like it...to me it would have been the perfect LE handgun "back in the day"...

Bought one 15 days after they were announced... Other than the fact that .40 S&W doesn't run very reliably with the factory thin clips absolutely zero issues...

I bought a set of set of thick clips from TK Custom and the problem was solved...but they are expensive. Reportedly the Ranch Products clips for the S&W 610 work fine with .40 S&W and cost a lot less...have not gotten any yet...

Some also report some bullet pull from heavy recoiling rounds...so far not problem with my reloads but they are not all that warm...

Have fun...Bob
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/06/19
Sweet. I've always liked the 10mm/.40 revolvers for some reason. Enjoy it.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
That's a nice one.
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
I dry fired it a bunch last night and it has somewhat settled. The factory shimmed trigger and hammer helps I am sure. Very little side movement from both. The SA creep has backed off a bit and drops at 4#. The DA is pretty smooth and drops at 9#. I will tear it apart and Flitz the internals and likely take a stone to the sear. All in all a pretty nice piece.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
Merry Christmas, Ed.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
Nice pistol, Ed. I had one for a spell. Probably should have kept it. I'm a little bit 10mm poor in other directions, though.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
Nice. I would like to have one in blue with the original GP-100 style grips
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/07/19
Very nice looking revolver. IMHO that 4" round barrel with no underlug is the configuration Ruger should have been making since day 1.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Very nice looking revolver. IMHO that 4" round barrel with no underlug is the configuration Ruger should have been making since day 1.

I am not a big fan of the full underlug, either.
Posted By: RJM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/08/19
I've had one of the standard stainless GP-100s in .357 for 15+ years and really like balance a little more than the MC...
Please let us know what you think of the grips once you shoot the gun... Mine are in the box, replaced with the standard rubber with wood insert ones... The recoil with full loads was a little much for the web of my hand...
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by RJM
Please let us know what you think of the grips once you shoot the gun... Mine are in the box, replaced with the standard rubber with wood insert ones... The recoil with full loads was a little much for the web of my hand...

This is what I have read and I fully believe it. I shoot some high horsepower Ruger SA Bisley's but even my first issue M610 is a bit of a handful with cast 180's at 1300 fps and the round to square grips it wears. Funny thing is that I, and many others, have backed off a bunch on the large bores yet still chase maximum loads with the 10. I'll get out with it next week.
Chasing Maximum with the 10mm is different that chasing maximum with a .475.... The .475 can hurt you...the 10mm can't....

Unless you built yourself an aluminum frame Commander, the hottest load one can build for a 10mm isn't unpleasant to shoot in a 1911 or most any other 10mm...other than a G29 that is.

In a revolver one can't get recoil levels above a 220 grain bullet at 1200 fps which is about a factory load for a .41 Magnum...
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/08/19
Nice looking revolver Ed, should be a dandy packer/shooter once you get it tuned up.

Dick
Posted By: viking Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/08/19
How’s the trigger?
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by RJM
Chasing Maximum with the 10mm is different that chasing maximum with a .475.... The .475 can hurt you...the 10mm can't....

Unless you built yourself an aluminum frame Commander, the hottest load one can build for a 10mm isn't unpleasant to shoot in a 1911 or most any other 10mm...other than a G29 that is.

In a revolver one can't get recoil levels above a 220 grain bullet at 1200 fps which is about a factory load for a .41 Magnum...

Yep and I download my 41 and 44 Mags as well as the larger bores. Eleven hundred fps is my max in anything that can go beyond, this with mid-weight for caliber bullets. I am really surprised at how mild my Glock 40's recoil is. I am guessing the weight of a full magazine helps.
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by viking
How’s the trigger?

The single action is a hair over 4# with a bit of creep that I will mostly remove. I suspect the double action is around 10# given where the needle lands on my 8# scale. It is pretty smooth though (better after a fair bit of dry firing) and allows a halt along the way to get the sights right before 1/8" or so of pretty clean pull fires it. I have some Wolf springs coming and I will tear it down, stone a bit of hammer away and polish the rest. These supposedly come from Ruger with some action cleanup done and shimmed hammer and trigger.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/10/19
I'm really liking mine. I kept the stock grips on it, as they fit my hand as well as or better than any other handgun I've tried. Quite comfortable for me when shooting the Underwood 220gr @1200fps load. Frankly, I have no plans to change anything on it. I'm just happily shooting it the way it is. The polishing job could have been done a little better in places - but this is a working piece that will likely get scratched up anyway, so...meh.

BTW - zero creep in SA mode with mine. DA is pretty smooth, but my trigger scale only goes up to nine.
Posted By: EdM Re: Christmas Gift... - 12/12/19
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I'm really liking mine. I kept the stock grips on it, as they fit my hand as well as or better than any other handgun I've tried. Quite comfortable for me when shooting the Underwood 220gr @1200fps load. Frankly, I have no plans to change anything on it. I'm just happily shooting it the way it is. The polishing job could have been done a little better in places - but this is a working piece that will likely get scratched up anyway, so...meh.

BTW - zero creep in SA mode with mine. DA is pretty smooth, but my trigger scale only goes up to nine.

I agree with the grips feeling really nice in the hand. With the wet weather today (my range is closed Mon/Tues) and with what appears that I forgot that takes me out of town tomorrow through Saturday (all nice weather days...) my first shot out with it will next week... The action is smoothing well with more dry firing for sure.
© 24hourcampfire