Home
Posted By: RGK S&W .45 Revolver - 12/17/19
Took this one out for a stroll today; haven't shot it for awhile. From what I remember, it liked 185 grain factory Fed or Atlanta Arms jacketed SWCs. Shot some 50 yd slowfires with ATL Arms ammo to start. I was rewarded with a couple of good 50 yd targets without any flyers. Next up was some 230 grain Fed commercial and TZZ GI Match ball. Nothing to write home about, but still not too bad. Below target was the last one shot, with Fed 230 grain factory match, 25 yards. Might have to take this to Perry next year for the Harry Reeves Revolver Match. A good revolver is a beautiful thing.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/17/19
Sweet! That's a fine revolver you have there.
Posted By: doubletap Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Nice revolver and some fine shooting!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Oh heck yeah. A fun day with a fine revolver.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
So Nice!!
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So Nice!!

Roger that. Not a Python, but it'll do...
Bob
Posted By: mart Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
That’s a great revolver. Very nice.
Posted By: Cascade Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Not only a nice revolver, but some mighty nice shooting as well.

Guy
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Drool.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Nice!!!
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Beautiful revolver and very good shooting.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
I have one of those, and like you, but at a buds urging removed the factory grips and installed rubber Hogues, what a fun revolver, bom, bom, bom it goes, very light report and recoil, a chit-ton more accurate than I can shoot it too ; ]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Originally Posted by gunner500
I have one of those, and like you, but at a buds urging removed the factory grips and installed rubber Hogues, what a fun revolver, bom, bom, bom it goes, very light report and recoil, a chit-ton more accurate than I can shoot it too ; ]

I have the stainless, pre-lock, Mountain Gun variation of it. But the classic lines of the one in the opening post are very cool.
Yes, and old bud said the grips were worth half the cost of the revolver, I don't know if that's true, but in the safe door they reside. smile mine has five screws, blue, 6.5" barrel, and is a model of 1950.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Yes, and old bud said the grips were worth half the cost of the revolver, I don't know if that's true, but in the safe door they reside. smile mine has five screws, blue, 6.5" barrel, and is a model of 1950.

Yep. Just go to eBay and search for original S&W grips. They go for hundreds of dollars. Back in the day, anyone who kept the factory grips on was considered a newbie. Most of them got misplaced, since they weren't considered valuable vs the rosewood, finger groove, customs (or even the Pachmayrs or Hogues) you put on the guns.
Dang, and after reading the books on Smiths RJM sent me, mine do indeed serial number to the revolver, that God a newbie owned mine ; ]
I have been typing all this thinking about all the cool old Smiths over in the safe, even the FA 454 revolver, a Gen4 Glock 21 sits here loaded with 14 rounds of Lehigh penetrators at 1050 fps, quiet the contrast! sick grin
The old 625's are wicked accurate, and just magnificent examples of what S&W was capable in the heyday of the revolver.
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So Nice!!

Roger that. Not a Python, but it'll do...
Bob

Yeah, I love my Python. But deep down, I'm a S&W kind of guy. Show me a -5 or earlier S&W M19 with all the fixins and I just tend to go weak in the knees. After that, it's the older N frames, especially the target ones.
Posted By: SS336 Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/18/19
Beautiful revolver, would like to have one like it. 45ACP is one of my favorite calibers. Damn good shooting at 25 yes, wish my 45 Colt model 25-5 could do that. I would definitely need a rest to get a group like that.
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/19/19
My youngest is home from university and this inspires me to drag out my 25-2.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/20/19

Model 1955 crazy good that we have so many cool guns we cant keep up with their names exactly, sad there's not enough time to derive maximum proficiency with each and every one. smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/22/19
I have a dandy 6 inch 25-5 in .45 Colt. I have a conversion cylinder for it in .45 ACP that takes full moon clips. It is accurate with both cartridges.
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W .45 Revolver - 12/22/19
Originally Posted by EdM
My youngest is home from university and this inspires me to drag out my 25-2.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Nice one, Ed. Bring it to the pig hunt and I'll bring the ammo.
Bob
© 24hourcampfire