Home
What's the best shoulder holster for a full size 1911?
I've had several and never found one that I like better than the Galco verticle.
I have never cared for shoulder holsters, very uncomfortable. But now I find myself shopping for one to carry my Python (not that I'll actually carry it very often, but I want one nonetheless).
I've had and have a ton of 'em. When you say shoulder holster do you mean like a Tanker's holster or a chest holster?

For a Tanker's holster it's tough to beat El Paso Saddlery's 1942 Tanker Shoulder Holster. For a leather chest holster my favorite is Diamond D's Guides Choice leather chest holster.

And if looking for Kydex the Kenai Chest Holster.
Not looking for chest type, I have an El Paso Saddlery Tanker, actually two, one for 1911s and one for 5" N frames. I want something I can use for concealment under a jacket, sitting down.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Not looking for chest type, I have an El Paso Saddlery Tanker, actually two, one for 1911s and one for 5" N frames. I want something I can use for concealment under a jacket, sitting down.

Ah, my bad.
Bianchi X2000 (or X-15) AKA Phantom 45.

Also great for other large autos e.g. Beretta 92.

Great holster.

Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I've had several and never found one that I like better than the Galco verticle.

Miami Classic here. Most comfortable and fastest. Extra mag or two and a light opposite side of the gun works great.

Andrews custom Leather “Monarch” rig. Nothing better.
Carried a Glock 19 in a Galco Miami Classic for years under a suit jacket or robe at work. Comfortable and pretty well concealed. I was happy with it.
Heiser 125 is the only one I ever used.....
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

+1, very similar to Galco Miami Classic & Jackass holsters, but better quality worksmanship & I like the horizontal spare mag orientation much better.

I use a shoulder holster a fair amount while in a car................makes the gun very accessible w/o being loose in the car or w/o having to re-holster it when you get out, caveat is getting to the right cover garment depending of weather & climate.

With the horizontals, it may also take some work to get the retention strap snap tension right so you can get the gun out easily with one hand but still have sufficient retention.

All of the above that I referred to work just fine & I like the horizontal carry position a little better than the vertical position like a Bianchi X5, which I've use a fair amount as well, but the harness doesn't fit me as well as the others.

As with all holsters, they are highly subject to personal preferences & many times, you just have to pick something & use it for a while & many times, then end up changing to something else as you learn what you like & dislike.

JMHO, YMMV

MM
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

^^^^^^ This
I like the Galco Jackass Rig for a 1911. Hard to beat IMO.
I gave away a Miami Classic, but will be keeping a Galco Jackass rig. It's been around for a long time.
Galco under a light jacket. Easy to gave gun in hand but not exposed.
© 24hourcampfire