Home
This video showed up in my suggestions on YouTube. Regardless of what you think of the narrator and his opinions (I get that he has zero "been there, done that" experience), the video footage is worth watching to reinforce how ineffective handguns can be.

Bad guy takes 7 hits and still lives long enough to run out into the parking lot. So, if he had chosen to stay and fire his gun, he could have--even with 7 bullets in him. (I wonder what cartridge the good guy was shooting and what bullets, but still...7 hits and he wasn't yet dead from lead poisoning).

adrenaline is amazing stuff
LOL, fmj's I bet, but they turned him, good enough!
Originally Posted by gunner500

He did look like he had enough. smile
Originally Posted by watch4bear
adrenaline is amazing stuff

+1

So are drugs....
Originally Posted by local_dirt

He all of a sudden remembered everything his mama and granny told him! wink

Yeah. Like don't be a thief and don't play with guns. Lol. smile

Yeah. Like don't be a thief and don't play with guns. Lol. smile

Yes, and a quick hundred hail marys to Sister Chalupa ; ]
After watching dozens of deer run 70 yds and more after perfect heart/lung hits from a 30-06, I have maintained for years that a determined man can kill you numerous times after you have killed him.

There is not a CCW in the world that can compare to the energy dump of a soft point from a 30-06. In a SD scenario you have to hit CNS, or you are not going to stop him.
My guess would be FMJ also... One can talk foot-pounds of energy all one wants, but if the bullet passes through like a hot poker all that energy is lost in thin air on the other side of the target.

Would a .357 Magnum 125 JHP have done a better job...we don't know at this point...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
My guess would be FMJ also... One can talk foot-pounds of energy all one wants, but if the bullet passes through like a hot poker all that energy is lost in thin air on the other side of the target.

Would a .357 Magnum 125 JHP have done a better job...?

Bob

Yep.
Originally Posted by RJM

Would a .357 Magnum 125 JHP have done a better job...we don't know at this point...

Bob

I wouldn't venture a guess as to type of ammo, caliber, etc. Could have just as easily been JHP. It matters more where the shots are located.

A few years ago a local was attacked by 3 men that were beating him. He eventually was able to get off a shot that hit 1 of them in the thigh severing the femur artery and killing the attacker. The weapon used was a 9mm with round nose FMJ.
FPE is a very poor indicator of lethality, the only thing that matters is holes in the proper location

The consensus is that many more people survive a shot from a pistol than die from a shot, regardless of caliber. I would guess that poor hits and wrong ammunition are common in pistol shootings as well. Lots of folks buy guns, shoot them once a year to be sure they go bang and are quite happy to hit a pie plate at 7 yards 4 out of 15 times. On a moving target that is shooting back at you logic says that things get worse. An easy to control pistol that you are very familiar with, shoot weekly and can make solid hits quickly using good bullets with would in my humble opinion be smarter than a larger bore pistol that requires some recovery from shot to shot and that you don’t shoot often. A 380 you shoot exceptionally well would provide better protection than a 45 that you struggle with. This may partially also explain why the statistics show all pistol calibers to be close in results.

Just miss the heart by 1" and survival rate goes way up
Just like in hunting. Shot placement is everything.
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Exactly
Gun fights aren't like shooting a standing deer...more like trying to place a shot on a charging bear or buffalo...
I'm going to vote mouse gun - .25 or .32 Auto. The bad guy was standing in front of a white wall and I don't see one shot that passed through. Nothing passed through to the glass door on the last shots. The bad guy leaked all over the door, but no bullet hits.
Originally Posted by JOG
I'm going to vote mouse gun - .25 or .32 Auto. The bad guy was standing in front of a white wall and I don't see one shot that passed through. Nothing passed through to the glass door on the last shots. The bad guy leaked all over the door, but no bullet hits.

Or soft bullets that over expand and lack penetration. Lots of unknowns
Emmett Dalton took 17 hits during the Coffeyville KS attempted bank robbery, and lived to spend 20 years in prison, then live a reasonable life afterwards.
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

that was mexico, nada to 9mm, 45acp others, just guessing but maybe 32acp or something along that line.
I was thinking.380 but it’s hard to tell. That said there was a guy in my hometown that dropped in his tracks from a single .22 long rifle shot. My dad was the town marshal and the report said the slug skipped off a rib and then acted like a pinball inside his chest cavity.
I doubt it was a 5.7 or 357sig.
Saw a guy a month ago get "accidentally" shot with a .380 to the leg. He died on scene (femoral) and was brought back to life. Very lucky to live. The hospital opened his leg to relieve the pressure from the gs. That was with one shot. Luck of the draw I guess.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Exactly

Which is always why a Nimrod that cannot make a hit with his 308 goes to a 300 WM assuming its going to be a better killer. A man that can place a shot with a 223 will kill deer every time. Small calibers perform just as well on medium deer type animals because people can actually shoot them better. This is my attraction to the 5.7 x 28, its not going to make a 50 caliber hole through you, but its going to be easier to hit with for some than a conventional pistol...
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

that was mexico, nada to 9mm, 45acp others, just guessing but maybe 32acp or something along that line.

I've heard 38 Supers bark in that part of the world .
Originally Posted by Waders
This video showed up in my suggestions on YouTube. Regardless of what you think of the narrator and his opinions (I get that he has zero "been there, done that" experience), the video footage is worth watching to reinforce how ineffective handguns can be.

Bad guy takes 7 hits and still lives long enough to run out into the parking lot. So, if he had chosen to stay and fire his gun, he could have--even with 7 bullets in him. (I wonder what cartridge the good guy was shooting and what bullets, but still...7 hits and he wasn't yet dead from lead poisoning).

"The room temperature challenge". Interesting term.
Shoot that son of a bitch.... cool
© 24hourcampfire