Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Flat or curved? - 01/30/20
No, this isn't a question for the basement thread 'cause I already know that answer. whistle

Do you like a flat trigger? It wasn't even on the radar until I got a Sig P320 X model and a 365 XL, both of which have flat triggers. The first range session with the 320 left me with a blood blister on the bottom edge of my index finger since that would get caught between the trigger bottom and the guard. The 365 XL didn't do that but shooting it and the standard 365 side by side I see no benefit or detriment. Changed out the trigger on the 320 for a factory curved one and it feels so much better, it seems like I can control the trigger better. Going to order a factory curved trigger for the 365XL later today.

The race guys like the flat triggers for some reason but they're a complete "meh" to me. Doesn't mean others might not derive a benefit from one so anybody here really, really liking them?
Posted By: RufusG Re: Flat or curved? - 01/30/20
Have a flat aftermarket trigger on one 9mm, it seems okay but not sure the shape is the major factor there. My favorite trigger on any gun ever is the extra wide s&w revolver combat trigger, which curves in every direction.
Posted By: TWR Re: Flat or curved? - 01/30/20
I have a flat Tandemkross trigger on my MK IV and Apex flat triggers on my M&P's. I also have one on an AR. I might put one in my 1911 one day, I kinda like them.
Posted By: devnull Re: Flat or curved? - 01/30/20
Flat triggers make sense in precision rifles to reduce perceived trigger weight. To me, they make absolutely no sense in a carry gun.
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
Perfect solution to a nonexistent problem.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
My finger is rounded so a curved trigger fits it better.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
I can go either way but I do prefer a curved trigger. It seems to promote a more consistent finger placement. Especially if I'm trying to hurry.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
The advantage of a flat trigger is the ability to press on the end of the trigger. It gives you a mechanical advantage when your finger is further from the pivot.

I don’t see the same advantage in a 1911 because of the way the trigger works.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
I’ve tried several in ARs, plastic pistols, and 1911s.

In the polymer pistols and ARs the triggers hinge and a flat trigger is supposed to give you a mechanical advantage and make the trigger feel lighter than it is. It the opposite is also true—If you pull at the top it feels heavier. And with a flat trigger I’d never quite hit the exact same spot with my finger so the trigger pull was always inconsistent from string to string. So I gave up on them but some people don’t seem to have that problem.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
Hadn't thought about the mechanical advantage but it obviously makes sense. On the smaller P365 trigger it doesn't seem to make a difference in the feel, I can shoot either one just as well as the other. On the larger P320 flat trigger my hand position puts the finger tip naturally at the very bottom which should make the pull lighter but it also pinches the inside or bottom edge under it, that's what gave me the oblong blood blister right off the bat. Haven't shot it with the new curved trigger but will do so tomorrow. The finger definitely hits the middle more consistently and it just feels more right.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
I get considerable trigger slap with my P365, so I am going to swap out the trigger for a flat trigger, will report back.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Flat or curved? - 01/31/20
I have a 365 and a 365 XL. I wish that Sig had picked one and placed the same trigger on both guns. I have more rounds through the 365, and the first time I shot them in the same range session, I did not not shoot as well with the flat trigger on the XL. Now, they both work fine.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Flat or curved? - 02/01/20
just put a flat trigger in my P365, got to shoot it now..
© 24hourcampfire