Home
I'm not at liberty to say where I found it, but tonight I ran into a Smith model 36 no dash pinned barrel, in Nickel. Pretty clean gun. What would you say it's worth? I've already gone a little crazy in January buying, so I decided to sleep on it, but I can't tell you how hard it was to walk away. Would like to have a feel for what it's worth before I go back. Appears to have original grips.
Thanks
Barrel length?
To the owner, Im sure he has visions of $550-650 dancing in his head, to a buyer, Id be more of a $400-450 kind of guy, but that's what makes a deal right?
Where's it at? 😁😁😁
If it's an all-original Nickel 36-0 with correct grips I'd say $450-$500.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Barrel length?

I'd assume 2" barrel. It could be 1-7/8" I think that's what they actually are, but I could be wrong. It's not the 3" for sure.
My wife carried one just like it for about 15 years before switching over to a Colt Detective Special Gen II....

As to prices, like said above, Sellers want $550+...actually selling prices for a nice clean used one is in the $450+- area...
Thanks guys.
I went ahead and got it. It was in the Cabelas Gun library. They had a trigger guard which hid some specs on the nickel on the side which irritated me, as they didn't want to take it off for an inspection. Finally I asked them if they could take it off so I could try the trigger, and so the guy disappeared and came back with a bullet catcher, and I said what's that for? He said if the trigger lock comes off the barrel has to stay in the bullet catcher. I asked him what kind of inspection that was but he said it was the rules. Finally came to terms, and I had to fill out a 4473 on their computer pad, then they took me to another place to pay, but they had to go over the paper work again and verify my CCP, even though they don't have to they ran it through NICS which pizzed me off. There was a guy doing it and another guy looking over his shoulder, then they gave it to another guy to check it out as well. They must pay poorly because they apparently have people that can't veryify a 4473 from my ID. 4 People looked it over. They asked me if they could put it in a box, and I said fine, but then he was going to tape it up, I told him to forget the box because he was going to get it back when we got outside, so he decided the box wasn't needed. Not sure what that was all about.
The (ONLY) good news was Cabelas is back to giving 5% off for vetrans again. I guess they got a lot of grief over that. I didn't know as it's been a long time since I've been there. Probably be a while till I go in again. I don't know if there are idiots running the place or just idiots working there, but the place is clogged with idiots IMO only. And that is the story. Seems they go out of their way to pizz people off.
Glad you got it even with the Cabelas goat rope. I was going to buy an original S&W Centennial from the one nearest to me a couple months ago but the fat slob in the gun library got smart with me for some reason so I told him to shove it and left.

I still want a Centennial but not bad enough to put up with their version of customer service.
It sooooo depends on how it looks. It’s hard to answer but 450-550 depending on how much “use” it looks like it has. I have a bucket of these guns. The 36 is the bomb as is the original 640s in 38.
I can send a picture if someone could post it.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I can send a picture if someone could post it.

Catiboujack, you can send it to me if you like. Text, please.
Thank you. Sent.
Marlin, The only thing worse than dealing with the Cabela's gun counter, is dealing with the Oregon State Police instant check system.

A six month wait for approval at Ontario Bimart for a 10-22. And another 3 day wait at Ontario Walmart for approval on a Vanguard 243. I almost lost that one thanks to Oregon's BS. Walmart will only hold them for three days.

Plus OSP records your name along with make, model, and serial number.
Cariboujack's Model 36 no "-"..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Purdy!
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Marlin, The only thing worse than dealing with the Cabela's gun counter, is dealing with the Oregon State Police instant check system.

A six month wait for approval at Ontario Bimart for a 10-22. And another 3 day wait at Ontario Walmart for approval on a Vanguard 243. I almost lost that one thanks to Oregon's BS. Walmart will only hold them for three days.

Oregon is a classic example of communism. Delay you till yo give up. Glad you hung in there.
I guess I missed the part where it was a square butt. I have it’s blues brother that a now deceased pal gave me for Christmas one year. I carry it often, it’s a great little revolver.
Sweet. Hard not to like any 36. Do you handload 38s? I shoot a kakazillion rounds out of my 36s/j frames. Always been a 38 nut. No finer pocket gun.
Here’s the only pic I have of mine, head shot this beaver one handed and double action as he swam down the creek. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Mighty good shootin The Kid.
Thanks LD for posting.

Good Shooting Kid. Did you skin it? They make a good warm hat.
No I didn’t skin him, furs down here of any sort are worth next to nothing. I guess due to the warm weather nothing ever gets prime.
It was a shock for me when I moved to Alaska and there were rules about shooting or trapping beavers. Down here everyone shoots them on sight, they dam up creeks and clog up water gaps and leave punji sticks around bass ponds.

Oregon is a classic example of communism. Delay you till yo give up. Glad you hung in there.

Shame you guys have to go threw that out there.
Thekid what load did you hit that beaver with?
A Ray Thompson design 358156 over 5gr of Unique. It’s the two crimp groove SWC with a gas check base. Old Lyman single cavity mold that I hollow pointed years ago.

Cast about 70/30 wheel weights and fishing sinkers with some tin solder melted in they’re soft enough to expand at snubby speeds and in 38/44 or 357 loads they act something like a partition at closer ranges, with the nose expanding and shearing off leaving the base to penetrate.
Nice, what’s the final weight about when using the hollow point insert?
They drop at about 150gr +/- 2 depending on alloy.
A little time with a pro-shot cloth would really get that thing going! I picked up a used nickle 19 and it made it look almost brand new.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Shame you guys have to go threw that out there.

Actually that isn't the norm. Cabelas and Walmart are the exceptions when it comes to making it difficult to purchase a gun. Way more than necessary. My FFL guy is easy. I'm in and out in 10 minutes (maybe 15) depending on how much time we spending talking guns.
Jack...that was a nice find... My wife's gun was a round butt...

358156 was my first mold when I bought a Model 19 back in 1970... Just starting casting that bullet again with two MP molds...one plain base solid and the other is a gas check with hollowpoint pins...

Running them with 6.0 grains of Unique for 38-44 loads in a 4" Heavy Duty and a 6" pre-27...
Have you shot them over a chronograph RJM? I’m curious as I shoot a 4” Heavy Duty and a 6.5” Outdoorsman more than most of my other handguns.

I need to go size a bunch of RCBS 38-150KT bullets I cast back in the summer. I’ve been in critter shooting mode since October and I’m running low on 38 ammo, need to load some up.
No not yet...I'm expecting around 1100 fps out of a 4"... Next bunch of gas checked HPs are going to get AAC-9 which LoadData.com says will easily make 1200 fps... Once can use 2400 and get about the same...

Heading for Texas in a couple of weeks and then knee replacement surgery shortly after return so it is probably going to be late spring till I get to that project...
Good luck with the knee replacement, RJM. I'll second the 6grs of Unique and 158gr SWC, that's the load I use the most in my .357s. It shoots well in all of them and makes it simple.
© 24hourcampfire