Home
I have been shooting and collecting 45 ACP 1911 for 40 years now. I am not a super collector, only things I like to shoot. My favorite is a AMT Long Slide 7" stainless steel (not with laser sighting, like terminator) I traded a colt Commander I bought and hated from day 1 (never own another for sure). The AMT is a crowd pleaser and a pleasure to shoot. One of my absolute favorites. I have Para P14 which is the only double stack 45 I have and love that gun also. Then I have several Spring field, ATI, Rock Island and other assorted Brands that have come my way.

What do you have and like to shoot?

I also reload constantly 45 ACP and have had to change loads over the years because powder manufactures come and go and gun regulation shoot up the industry 4-10 years ago (We know who I am talking about). So if you like to reload 45 ACP is probably the easiest and most forgiving cartridge I know.

I also have a couple of 10mm 1911 which are real interesting to shoot in comparison to the 45 ACP.

I really would like to hear from you and am interesting to learn your stories of the 1911 culture.
I've got a Springfield Armory Loaded model and a Colt Gold Cup. I'd post pics but most here are probably sick of seeing them so somebody with some fresh pics post up.
1911...favorite semi-auto handgun...have been carrying/shooting them since about 1974...

Favorite is the Commander...but in .38 Super, not .45.

I have:

Commanders
Colt (5)
DW Guardian
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Combat Commander
Colt (4)
RIA 10mm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Government Model 45 (1)

SUPER .38 (2)
[Linked Image]

Kimber Stainless Target II (2)
Multi-Caliber
10mm
40 S&W
.38 Super
9x23 Winchester
9mm Largo
9x19
.22 LR
.45 ACP
.45 Super

[Linked Image]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/87461.jpg[/img]

Colt/Lew Horton El Capitan .38 Super

PARA-USA Elite LS Hunter 10mm 6"

And one ACE, one Kmber and several .22 conversions....

Bob
RJM,
You have a PARA-USA 6" in 10 mm, have not come across one of those. I would like to find another 6" 45 ACP if I can but they are scarce. I have the Delta Force 10 mm 1911 colt, shoot well but definitely more of a jump than the 45acp version. Did you used to shoot competion is why you like the 38 Super round or just happened across it?
I am also glad to meet someone who likes their Colt Commanders, restores my faith in those since my particular experience was poor, but it was only the one gun. Long Story...lol
I just pulled the trigger and bought this one today
Nighthawk Custom Heinie Long Slide 6" 10mm
Custom Camo Cerakote
6 inch Barrel
Trijicon RMR
Rail Scale Grips
Night Sights

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RJM, You certainly have a nice flock of 1911's. Don't know why I don't have more of them, enjoy shooting them a lot. My favorite is this Colt Government model. It's had some work done to it and is a great shooter. Also use the frame with a Kimber .22 conversion unit. Would like a to acquire a Government model in .38 super, and a nice old blued Gold Cup someday.

Damn George, nice!
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike44
I really would like to hear from you and am interesting to learn your stories of the 1911 culture.

I have not owned a 1911. I've shot a few. 'til the most recent, I didn't care for them. The very flat grip profile .. in other words, the grip being thin side to side but long front to back, with somewhat square corners, causes them to recoil to the side rather than up and down for me. These were mostly "mil spec", not better grade commercial or custom guns. The last one I shot was a Kimber Pro Carry II. It had thicker grips with more rounding at the corners creating an overall more round grip profile that fits my hand a lot better. With it I was able to haul ass and hit stuff at the same time. Sorta in the back of my mind that I probably need one. However, there are always conflicting priorities and it hasn't bubbled to the top of the list yet. If I could find a 1911 in 10mm that fit my hand as well as that .45 I would probably be even happier. I'm a revolver guy, .44s are my love, so recoil is just not a "thing" for me.

Tom
Thunderstrike44: What I like best about the 1911 style pistols is their "looks"!
I have owned several over the years but seldom shot themI never carried one "professionally".
I bought the ones I owned mostly for investments, and all but two have "gone on down the road".
The two I still own are both N.I.B. - a Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy and a Springfield Armory 1911 A-1.
Quick story - as a small child (age 5 or so - 1952'ish) I remember my father and his two brothers sitting around our dining room table looking at a magazine ad for Colt 1911 surplus pistols.
They were trying to get together the $23.00 (IIRC) to get one sent to them through the mail so they could resume shooting the "45"!
They were all three WW-II veterans and eventually the "beautiful" Colt arrived. Then my father and his brothers would shot it out behind our house into a giant cedar stump background and aiming at old quart oil cans filled with water - sploosh!.
I remember how loud it was and how my brothers and I would cup our hands over our ears as it was shot.
After a couple years that pistol went away somehow and I never saw it again.
I wish I had that "45" now - I bet it would be worth a "thousand dollar bill" now.
Long live the 1911.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I bought a Taurus PT 1911 aluminum frame .45 almost 10 years ago. My first, and so far, only 1911- but I've been seriously thinking of getting another 1911 in 9mm too.

First trip to the range after running a couple hundred rounds thru it to make sure it works before I sent it off for hard chroming.

After I had the Taurus hard chromed, I changed the thumb safety and grips. Still looks like this after suffering a lot of neglect.

Les Baer 45acp I love this pistol !

Kimber 45 acp

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
I carried the Supers on duty in Dallas, shot them in IPSC competition and carried the Commander off-duty since 1980...carrying one right now...

The PARA Hunter was something I wanted and they quit making them right after they were bought by Freedom Group and moved to the Remington 1911 plant. I was assured by the Remington CS rep that they would not be continuing anything PARA made in 10mm...so I paid about retail for the last NIB Hunter I could find. A year later Remington brought back the Hunter in 10mm. Gun has been 100% reliable and when the eyes are up to it will hit an 8" plate at 100 yards.
I love em and have a few:

Baer 45 ACP
Custom, Fusion Arms, Ed Brown bobtail Commander 45 ACP
Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm
Colt LW Commander 38 Super

Really fun pistols that are plenty accurate and damn reliable, I hand load for them all.
I only have a Sig Tac-ops.
My fave right now.

1918 WWI 1911
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Damn, you shot Chester Cheeto! ; ]
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My fave right now.

1918 WWI 1911

Dang, a day spent with that and 4 boxes of 230gr ball capped off with a 6 of cold ones would be more than okay! Congrats Dirt.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My fave right now.

1918 WWI 1911

Dang, a day spent with that and 4 boxes of 230gr ball capped off with a 6 of cold ones would be more than okay! Congrats Dirt.

Thanks, gunner.

Got the set of original 1918 grips from TerryK here on the Fire.
Ive owned a dozen or more over the years, always was fond of Commanders and had several highly customized versions that were great pistols. Currently have only one, a Springfield Armory TRP, damned fine pistol for factory version. Probably the finest 1911 Ive ever had, I purchased back in 1988 for my IPSC competition days, a Wilson Super Grade in .45ACP. If I remember correctly that pistol ran me $2675.00, a lot of green backs back then, don't know what that would work out to in todays dollars? Wish I had that one back, finest handling and shooting 1911 Ive ever shot.
I have a couple of S&W's - a full size target model and a scandium frame bobtail commander.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Wow!! Nice to see something a little different......should make a great hunting handgun!
A long-time favorite. AMU-accurized NM pistol.
Bob

I have several 1911's.......all now are full size got rid of all my commander's
Don't shoot my 45's much, Love my 38 Supers, but by far shoot my 9mm's the most.
Colt Government Mk. IV Series 70
Auto Ordnance 1911A1
Springfield Armory 1911A1
Norinco 1911A1
Colt 1991A1
IAI Javelina 10mm
Para Ordnance P14
Auto Ordnance 1911A1
Colt Delta Elite 10mm
Colt 1991A1 Officer's
Colt 1991A1
Norinco 1911A1
Colt Government Mk.IV Series 70
Taurus 1911
Colt Government Series 80 38 Super
Taurus 1911 38 Super
Colt Commander
Colt Gold Cup National Match
Charles Daly 1911
Springfield Armory Loaded
Colt Gold Cup

List of 1911's I've owned over the years. None are listed twice. Some models I have owned more than one of.
I’ve two STIs and a Rock Island that have all been worked on, but they’re double stack guns.

I’ve learned that double stack guns are a lot of fun after you get the magazines worked out. And that it’s easier for me to go from a 2011 trigger to a striker fired gun than the other way around.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I’ve two STIs and a Rock Island that have all been worked on, but they’re double stack guns.

I’ve learned that double stack guns are a lot of fun after you get the magazines worked out. And that it’s easier for me to go from a 2011 trigger to a striker fired gun than the other way around.
Double stack's are nice, especially where recoil is concerned since the wider grip spreads the recoil out more and the greater weight dampens it.
I was going to joke about laser sighting till you ruined by reference to the Terminator.

I currently have a 1961 Colt Government Model, an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, a Springfield Stainless Mil Spec, and a Springfield TRP.
My one and only 1911. A Colt Combat Commander in 45, been pushed to the edge with this gun but finally got it sorted out and I hate to say it but I love to shoot it.

Had an STI Trojan maybe? And a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm. Probably gonna pass on anymore 1911’s.
I had a Combat Commander I sold to get a SIG P220. I have a blued Remington R1 with VZ grips and a Dwyler Group Gripper that's fun to shoot. It's what High Brass wanted and wouldn't get for himself and wouldn't let anyone buy for him. I bought it in his memory.
I have a dozen or so 1911's in various configurations from bull barreled 4", 4.25" barrels w/bushings & 5" Gov't models.

For range work & regular practice, I strongly prefer a 5", all steel gun; for carrying, I will mainly only carry a 4" or 4.25" Commander sized gun, usually with a lightweight frame, for the comfort of the shorter barrel & lighter weight, especially when sitting for long periods.

Round / bobtailed butts do seem to print just a little less than a standard grip profile does; I see no real differences in shooting them.

I use a variety of holsters, depending on what I doing & which gun I might be carrying that day.

I get a little disgusted at the lack of knowledge & experience from those that knock or condemn 1911's as being unreliable & antiquated & not deserving of carrying these days in favor of the new versions of Gluck, etc., because you can only carry 9 rounds in the gun & mag at a time (8+1).

Each & every 1911 that I own is 100% tried & proven for 100% reliability, as in ZERO malfunctions within a round count cleaning cycle that is reasonable................actually I carry all my guns clean, no matter the type. Not very interested or care much that a Gluck will run 5K rounds with no cleaning.

Daily carry is not an endurance test of how long a gun can run w/o cleaning, but yes, I'll concede that because of design & tolerances, a 1911 will not tolerate the same round count cycle as well as many of the WunderGuns do..................just a non-issue for EDC purposes, IMO.

MM

Here are a few of what I have;

Wilson X-Tac

Colt Combat Commander

Christensen Custom with Titanium Frame

S&W with Scandium Frame

Dan Wesson 4.25" Guardian w/Brommeland Holster

Dan Wesson Guardian

Kimber TLE II (discount the target as it was shot for a particular match with weak hand & some odd body positions included grin)

S& W Gunsite PD w/ Scandium Frame

Of the four that I mentioned, I’ve carried all but the Mil Spec. My holster for them was a Milt Sparks VM II.
All four have been 100% reliable.
I only have two at present, a Custom Shop Colt 1991A1, and a Ruger SR-1911 Target. Over the years, I've had about 10 more, but for whatever reasons, after using them pretty hard, I moved them on to other users. I used to shoot IPSC/USPSA and worked them pretty hard I had one crack it's frame after possibly 100K, but it still worked and shot well when I sold it. Two LW Commanders, a Gold Cup ('70 Series, and a POS), an Essex frame and slide gun (a GOOD one), a Delta Elite, a .38 Super GM, a Springfield, and a Caspian I built myself. I had fun with them, only the Gold Cup gave me fits, breaking the collet bushiing, sights falling off, edges too damned sharp, etc.
I picked up the Custom Shop 1991 in the '90s, it had a beavertail, long trigger, throated, and some other niceties I wasn't expecting. I didn't know it was a Custom Shop gun until I saw the engraving under the Navidrex stocks. It's a pretty good gun, but no better, really, than this new Ruger I bought last fall.
I doubt I'll ever buy another 1911, if I do, though, it will be another LW Commander, which I think is the most useful of the bunch. Not as much fun to shoot, but a lot more fun to carry.
What I like:

There are plenty of great 1911's out there, but I like a pistol with provenance - I want to know where it came from. A foreign forging has far less appeal than an American forging no matter where the final machining is performed. That largely limits my preference to Colt and Smith & Wesson. There are other manufacturers that presently use American forgings, such as Wilson Combat, but I feel I need to keep my eye on them. When an American forging is selected the rest of the pistol falls into place.
My Sunday carry gun.
I'm down to 8 1911's, mostly target guns.

Attached picture EB7 - Copy.jpg
[Linked Image]

Blindshooter,

That is spectacular. I love 1911's, so all of the posted pics in this thread have been a treat for me, but yours is the bees knees!
Originally Posted by Waders
[Linked Image]

Blindshooter,

That is spectacular. I love 1911's, so all of the posted pics in this thread have been a treat for me, but yours is the bees knees!

A Christmas present from the best wife in the world.
That'd be a very fine wife, indeed. Congrats, on the wife, that is. wink

MM
Originally Posted by JOG
There are other manufacturers that presently use American forgings, such as Wilson Combat, but I feel I need to keep my eye on them.

John, Wilson gets a lot of bad press, but they are making some of the best pistols on the planet.

I've had a couple, have one right now & would have a lot more except for the cost which have skyrocketed in the last 5 years or so.

Their Compact line & their new EDC X9 are both fabulous carry pistols & I'd own each if they didn't cost so much.

Yes, the personal "custom" touches are limited to their offering but they are still very, very nice guns.

I've built enough 1911's to understand what it takes to get a really smooth slide to frame fit & feel & the one that I have right feel like it's on ball bearings.

If what they have suits your taste, just buy it......................I'm reasonably confident you'll like it.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
That'd be a very fine wife, indeed. Congrats, on the wife, that is. wink

MM

Seriously--congrats on the wife--and the gun!
I have two, Colt Defender in 9mm, ( my carry) and my Colt Gold Cup National Match, (my BBQ carry )
Originally Posted by blindshooter
My Sunday carry gun.

I've got it's predecessor. The Kobra Carry.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My Sunday carry gun.

I've got it's predecessor. The Kobra Carry.

[Linked Image]

Love the blued guns, not sure about the golf balls, looks like you carry it regular, do you like them?
Love the blued guns, not sure about the golf balls, looks like you carry it regular, do you like them?
Golf balls?

I like it, but haven't carried it in many years. Carried it for a while, though. I've been a Glock guy (as far as EDC) for a few years now.
Here is my EDC, it ain't pretty, got some scratches and holster wear, but it has traveled a lot of miles with me. I bought it new and sent it to Ace Custom 45's in 1997, they did their full custom deal on it, turning it into a 45 Super. I don't run 45 Super in it, just a good hot 45+P load, but I can if need be. It is a fine weapon, and I trust my life with it.

Forgot to add, it's a Sprinfield Ultra Compact.
Originally Posted by JOG
There are other manufacturers that presently use American forgings, such as Wilson Combat, but I feel I need to keep my eye on them.

John, Wilson gets a lot of bad press, but they are making some of the best pistols on the planet.

Wilson just might be the best on the planet. I chose my words poorly - Wilson says they only use American forgings, but then they won't disclose their source. The super top secret stuff makes me nervous hence the "keep my eye on them" crack. If Wilson uses offshore forgings they still might be the best, I just prefer to know.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Thunderstrike44: What I like best about the 1911 style pistols is their "looks"!
I have owned several over the years but seldom shot themI never carried one "professionally".
I bought the ones I owned mostly for investments, and all but two have "gone on down the road".
The two I still own are both N.I.B. - a Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy and a Springfield Armory 1911 A-1.
Quick story - as a small child (age 5 or so - 1952'ish) I remember my father and his two brothers sitting around our dining room table looking at a magazine ad for Colt 1911 surplus pistols.
They were trying to get together the $23.00 (IIRC) to get one sent to them through the mail so they could resume shooting the "45"!
They were all three WW-II veterans and eventually the "beautiful" Colt arrived. Then my father and his brothers would shot it out behind our house into a giant cedar stump background and aiming at old quart oil cans filled with water - sploosh!.
I remember how loud it was and how my brothers and I would cup our hands over our ears as it was shot.
After a couple years that pistol went away somehow and I never saw it again.
I wish I had that "45" now - I bet it would be worth a "thousand dollar bill" now.
Long live the 1911.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

friend of mine's father got one of those 20dollar 1911's through the nra. It was a singer.
Golf balls?

I like it, but haven't carried it in many years. Carried it for a while, though. I've been a Glock guy (as far as EDC) for a few years now.

Golf balls=the dimples instead of checkering.
Golf balls?

Golf balls=the dimples instead of checkering.

Oh, the snake skin. Just as good as checkering or fine serrations. I can see how a traditionalist might prefer the checkering and fine serrations, though. The snake skin was kind of the trademark feature on the Kobra Carry. You see, Kobras have snake skin.
my 2

springfield TRP 45, and a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm

NICE! I've carried your old LB a lot Bobby, still haven't messed those grips up. cool
I only own one 1911, it is a Dan Wesson Valor Stainless 5" and it shoots better than I can shoot it and has not had a failure in 1000 rounds or so.
NICE! I've carried your old LB a lot Bobby, still haven't messed those grips up. cool

thats good
Springfield Range Officer, the only 1911 in the house.

I love it! Someone described the grip in negative terms,
for me nothing else feels as good.

It's only a toy unfortunately. I have not put in the time with it to feel
comfortable carrying it. No issues with the gun ever, operator is the
issue.

Plus, every time I think of it as a carry gun, the G19 pops in my
head. Twice the ammo, less weight (even loaded).

Now, one of those super LW Commanders.
I do get to thinking. Maybe a Ruger LW with a Kart 38 barrel!
My two (and 1/2):

1913-vintage 1911, arsenal re-furbed during WWII
Colt Series-70 Gold Cup
Colt .22 Conversion Kit

Originally Posted by rockchucker

thats good

Yessir, I remember when you loaned it to me to carry on that Tennessee pig shoot................""Don't mess up those grips pappy!"" ; ]
My pair of Springers. Lightweight loaded bi-tone and EMP 40.

Ruger SR1911.

The whole fam damily.....

Drool
My pair of Springers. Lightweight loaded bi-tone and EMP 40.

Ruger SR1911.

A stainless kind of guy, eh?

MM
Mine is a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 GI WWII model pistol with wood grips, parkerized finish, small GI sights & shallow ejection port.
I purchased this more than 10 years ago. I have a couple other 1911s - both replicas and WWI style. One is a Colt Model of 1911 WWI,
The other is a Remington UMC WWI replica which was a Remington and Turnbull collaboration. Both pistols are still NIB.

I bought my Springfield Armory WWII GI replica used but like new. It's well constructed and is an accurate shooter.
It's nostalgic and I wouldn't touch or change a thing. I like it just as it is - perfect!

<> https://tacticalgunreview.com/springfield-armory-gi-45-1911a1/ <>

The above model is an olive drab finish - mine is a parkerized black.

My favorite is an old Argentine from '52, the frame and slide are original the rest has been changed. My most accurate 45. Also had a Springfield loaded, but my son talked me out of it. replaced it with a Dan Wesson PM7. Runs great and is accurate but not quite as good as the old Argentine. It is however less fussy, and runs most anything.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
My favorite is an old Argentine from '52, the frame and slide are original the rest has been changed. My most accurate 45. Also had a Springfield loaded, but my son talked me out of it. replaced it with a Dan Wesson PM7. Runs great and is accurate but not quite as good as the old Argentine. It is however less fussy, and runs most anything.

I saw a really nice, clean, Argentine 1911 for sale back in the early 2,000s. A lot of the finish was warn off in a natural pattern, but no scratches or dings, and the insides weren't excessively worn. This was when they were still coming in fairly regularly as surplus from Argentina. I had been thinking that if I found a nice one on a gun store shelf, I'd pick it up, as they were going for bargain prices at this time of market glut.

It was there in the glass case, with a price tag, very reasonably priced, less than $400.00. I made the stupid mistake of asking the salesman if he would take $25.00 less than the tag. He says he has to ask the owner (an avid 1911 collector, who can hardly resist keeping for himself nice old 1911s that come into the store). He takes the gun into the back for a while, then comes out and says, "Oh, I'm sorry, but this one isn't for sale." I say, "What are you talking about? It was in the glass case with a price tag." He says, "Oh, that was an accident ... This belongs to someone."

So, had I just given the guy the full price tag, instead of asking for a deal, I would have had that nice old Argentine.

Something similar happened to me regarding a really nice old Mauser 98. It was the nicest one on the rack of dozens on the floor, and had a price tag like the others. I took it up to the register, and then the owner's son happens to walk by and see it on the counter. He grabs it, examines the bore, and says, "Oh, that wasn't supposed to be on the floor ... it's got a dangerous defect," and takes it into the back. You know he just hadn't seen it before it was tagged and put on the floor by an employee, had been looking for one that nice, and now had it.
I've cut up enough 1911's that I know 50 years from now somebody will say; why would some idiot do this to such a collectible pistol? We just made them better.

Mill the slide to set a Bomar way down low & install a dovetail front sight. Grind the ears off the back of the frame & blend in a high grip beavertail safety. Mill the slide to lower the ejection port, etc. etc.

Then the Kimbers started showing up. All the mods that most folks wanted done to a 1911 were done, & done pretty well IMO. I sold off a bunch of my Colts & Springfields, kept a matched pair of Classic Stainless LE Kimbers & the only 1911 metal I've cut was a 30 LPI checker job on one front strap. I like my 2 Kimbers enough that I really didn't mind selling my Les Baer. Now I'm not saying the Kimbers are as good, but more than good enough for me at a third the cost..

P bucket is holding the twins photo hostage, or I'd be proud to show them. Note made to take more pics.
Surprised so many have had Taurus 1911's. My own first 1911 was a stainless Taurus I bought from a friend who won it as a door prize somewhere. Got it several years, finally let someone talk me out of it. Guess my "next" 1911 was a Springfield I bought to convert to .460 Rowland. Conversion went well. only reason I let it go was the damn compensator that cam with the kit made it horribly loud.

I have had a Para Expert Carry - Cmmander size, I think - for several years, and it's a good pistol.

Also have two 10mm 1911's now, n RIA and a Kimber - like them both, a lot.

Just bought a USP HK 45 to try shooting .45 Super. Wish I could put custom grips on it, like on my 1911's!

Mike Holmes
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Colt Government Mk. IV Series 70
Auto Ordnance 1911A1
Norinco 1911A1
Colt 1991A1
IAI Javelina 10mm
Para Ordnance P14
Auto Ordnance 1911A1
Colt Delta Elite 10mm
Colt 1991A1 Officer's
Colt 1991A1
Norinco 1911A1
Colt Government Mk.IV Series 70
Taurus 1911
Colt Government Series 80 38 Super
Taurus 1911 38 Super
Colt Commander
Colt Gold Cup National Match
Charles Daly 1911
Springfield Armory Loaded
Colt Gold Cup

List of 1911's I've owned over the years. None are listed twice. Some models I have owned more than one of.

I'm not worthy. That is an impressive list by anyone's standard. I've got three Kimbers and a Colt .22 rimfire 1911. Nothing like Ethan's list.
This one has more sentimental value to me than you can imagine...
I currently own four 5" stainless 1911's and rotate them going to the outdoor range a minimum of once a week (weather permitting) and run 100 rounds each time through them......I'm not much of a paper puncher kinda guy and I always shoot at the steel gongs at 25 yds. with my 230 gr. FMJ (not plated) ball ammo.

Ruger SR1911
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec
S & W E Series
Remington R1-S

I like all four and I can't really say that I favor one over the other.
Springfield Officer's (special edition "Night.45")
Springfield Micro Compact
Colt Delta Elite
Kimber Stainless II
Kimber Custom LW Midnight (Wife's)

Fun story about the Kimbers...My wife has always wanted a Kimber. She's been using the Springfield Officer's sometimes, but really likes a full size 1911 better. We had an Auto Ordinance full size that we had bought used, but after the front sight flew off one day at the range, she never liked it even though I had it fixed. Well, her birthday was coming up and I was in the gun shop where we bought that Auto Ordinance and they had the Kimber LW Midnight edition on sale. So, I traded in the the Auto Ordinance and got the the Kimber. It sat in my gun closet for a couple weeks in the box in plain view, but she never noticed. Then, last week I was in another shop that frequently gets police trade-ins, and they had a few full size stainless Kimbers in the case for a really good price. I was still sitting on some mad money, and convinced the wife that a full sized stainless would be great for carrying on our boat, so I bought one. When she got home I was showing it to her and giving her crap about how this nice stainless Kimber was mine, and not hers...all the while the box with her new gun that I've had for weeks was sitting on the table, kind of insinuating that it was the box this used police trade-in gun came in. She took the bait and said, "Is that where my new Kimber is?" When I opened it, I thought she was going to cry. We took them to the range on Sunday and put over 100 rounds through each of the Kimbers and they both ran great.
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
This one has more sentimental value to me than you can imagine...

Nice, I could talk myself into one like that. What's it chambered in?
blindshooter... It's a 9mm that belonged to my Best Friend Tom. He was my Best Man at my wedding to the "Home Commander" and he passed away last year after a short bout with cancer. This Valor was his favorite pistol and he wanted me to have it after he passed. It needed a special rig, so I had Tim Thurner of TT Gunleather build up a full elephant commemorative carry rig for it a few months back. Other than the VZ palm swell grips and a fancy set of Dragon Spine scales from Griff's Grips for weddings, BBQ's and such, I haven't changed a thing on it.

Here's the holster and another couple pictures of the grips...

I had never held/handled a V-Bob 1911 until this one and I have to say, I'm sold... especially on this Commander sized platform. The palm swells on the VZ's make the bobbed frame even better. The whole set-up is a daily reminder of how much I enjoyed and appreciated Tom's conversations, visits and friendship. I miss him.

Mike
A damn cool pistol with an even better history, God Bless, Happy Hunting, Carrying and Remembering your old Friend. smile
Stump Buster....great back story and that is THE BEST looking BBQ/1911 rig I have ever seen....but then I like black...

...and I'm also sold on the BobTail...have a Dan Wesson Guardian .38 Super that is great to shoot....

Bob
I will heartedly agree, and new to me, but NOTHING feels better in my hand than the Fusion Arms/Ed Brown bob-tail Commander 45 ACP I picked up awhile back, good lord, it's like it was custom made for my hand.
My 1911 family:
Colt WC full size government model .45acp
Colt WC CCO .45 amp
Colt Government model . 45 amp “100 years of service” rollmark
Colt Government model .38 super “100 years of service” rollmark
Colt Government model competition 9 mm
Dan Wesson Valor .45 acp
I carry a Sig ultra most of the time. I also have a Sig GSR that really shoots well. I had a older Kimber Eclipse but my daughter got that for her 21st birthday.
Current fave...until the next one comes along.
Bob

50 yards, 10 shots, Ransom Rest.

...very nice Bob and impressive shooting!!
RGK,

Obviously a well built bullseye gun with an accomplished shooter behind it.

The load that was fired from the RR wouldn't put me in your category, but would still like to know it.
That's impressive, RGK. Hats off to you.
My first. Built from gun show parts 1980's Oregon. Spent countless weekends in "The Burn" clanging the gongs. This gun just points right. To me, my EDC Springfield XD .45 4" points very similarly.

Attached picture essex10.jpg
Beautiful shooting RGK.
Originally Posted by gunzo
RGK,

The load that was fired from the RR wouldn't put me in your category, but would still like to know it.

185 grain jacketed SWC Federal factory mid-range match...Federal "Gold Medal" stuff. I still have some stashed from my Army pistol team days. Atlanta Arms also makes awesome ammo. Their 115 grain jacketed 9mm ball is the round the Army team uses in their accurized M9 Berettas. The Atlanta Arms 185 grain match load for the .45 is also very good.
Bob
RGK, Was the Ransom Rest aiming point adjusted between shots?
Originally Posted by RGK
RGK,

185 grain jacketed SWC Federal factory mid-range match...Federal "Gold Medal" stuff. I still have some stashed from my Army pistol team days. Atlanta Arms also makes awesome ammo. Their 115 grain jacketed 9mm ball is the round the Army team uses in their accurized M9 Berettas. The Atlanta Arms 185 grain match load for the .45 is also very good.
Bob

That's an accurate hard-ball gun with your softball loads; how does it do from the Ransom with hardball ammo?

MM
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Outstanding!
But wait - I thought everyone was shooting a $2,500 worked-over Beretta 92FS in Service Pistol these days, no?
I have 2 Austrian High Points. A 3 Gen and 4 Gen. One a 9" 45 super and one 5" 50 GI. A 5" Springfield, 4" Kimber carry gun, and S&W Performance Center 3" carry gun. The 5" Springfield Armory gun was carried for years and wore out a barrel and trigger group on IDPA practice and two years of competing. No, I'm not a match winner. But I hope to hold my own if confronted with a deadly force need. I like 45's and am looking to make a PDW in an AR and perhaps a bolt gun for suppressed fun. We used the Block in 40 for the last ten years or so on transportation at my corrections job. I guess it is too much to expect to get affordable training in the 1911 45 ACP for duty. So much for the state of Misery. The 1911 lives on for lots of us. It is as relative today as it was in 1911. God Bless John Browning. Please forgive me for owning two Austrian High Points. I forgot the SIG P-220-1 in my right pocket now. Thanks to the Duluth Trading Co firehose pants I can carry the Canon as the wife calls it in my pocket. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
I guess a 45 LC in a Bond Arms Derringer wouldn't count? Even if in the other pocket? I WOULD invite a new or used 7" longslide to live with me and get shot a lot as well as carried some. Anyone that would sell theirs to me??? Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Originally Posted by JOG
RGK, Was the Ransom Rest aiming point adjusted between shots?

I don't know. My bud, Justin McMillan, is the Ransom Rest wiz. I'm not allowed to touch anything when we're setting up or using it. Justin was an AMU gunsmith for several years and has a lot of machine rest experience. I'll ask him this weekend.
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
RGK,

Bob

That's an accurate hard-ball gun with your softball loads; how does it do from the Ransom with hardball ammo?

MM

Not as good...but close. Best we're getting with Federal commercial 230 grain match ball is 2-2.5". GI match ball is usually under 3", if it's a good lot (IMI LOTS 007 or 008).
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Outstanding!
But wait - I thought everyone was shooting a $2,500 worked-over Beretta 92FS in Service Pistol these days, no?

The guys that want to win do. The Beretta M9 now holds all the service pistol records at Camp Perry. M9 winning scores are about 10 points higher than a .45 on the President's Hundred. Hard to beat that.
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
RGK,

Bob

I had a sneaking feeling it might be Federal match. It usually stood with the best. Hoping, just hoping you might say 200 LSWC over 231 or the like, but I understand. I have a Ransom rest & a reloader, but the Federal was always hard to beat.
Thank you for the reply.
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

MM

Not as good...but close. Best we're getting with Federal commercial 230 grain match ball is 2-2.5". GI match ball is usually under 3", if it's a good lot (IMI LOTS 007 or 008).

That's about typical for HB vs SB, but that's still excellent with the ball.............beautiful gun.

MM
I have a few of them; my favorites tend to be the Les Baers, and Colts, but I have others that I like. Just finished tuning a Kimber 10mm, which had issues. It's very accurate but was choking regularly when I got it. The ramped barrel is desirable for heavy 10mm loads. A few days ago I got it running successfully; still testing but looking forward to shooting it. I like the 10mm, and at some point I'll add a Wilson or Baer so chambered.

One of my gripes about modern 1911's is that some makers cut corners by bead blasting the whole gun, without masking precision surfaces. The breech face, slide rails, feed ramps, extractor hook, etc. should be left smooth as machined.

Some of the lower cost 1911's work well. I have a RIA in the .22TCM/9mm combos, and it works well. The .22 TCM had extraction issues, which I eventually fixed, and the 9mm barrel is excellent, no problems at all.

I've worked with several chamberings - .22 TCM, 9x19, .38 ACP/Super, 9x23, .40 S&W, 10MM, .400 Cor-Bon, and .45 ACP. It's a fun pistol for experimenters, and serious shooters. Still not obsolete after 109 years smile

I've never owned a "BBQ gun". Might have to change that someday - maybe a Caspian with Damascus slide and mammoth ivory grips grin
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Just finished tuning a Kimber 10mm, which had issues. It's very accurate but was choking regularly when I got it. The ramped barrel is desirable for heavy 10mm loads. A few days ago I got it running successfully; still testing but looking forward to shooting it. I like the 10mm, and at some point I'll add a Wilson or Baer so chambered.

My sentiments are the same. Have a Kimber Custom Match II and it FTF out of the box. Laughable bad quality control. The good thing was I bought with the plan on taking it to Luke Volkmann to customize. $1000+ later it's my goto woods gun. Smooth, reliable, accurate, comfortable. I have a Dan Wesson Commander in 10mm and it's just as accurate as the customized Kimber. But, the DW came with a match barrel that's so tight that after one magazine the chamber is fouled enough the that slide won't go into full battery because the round gets hung up on the ever-so-slight fouling. The chamber is a solid 0.002" tighter than my other 10mm barrels. I can't figure out for the life of me, why Dan Wesson put such a tight match barrel on a fix sighted commander sized 10mm??? Like WTF were they thinking? Was I supposed to use a 10mm fixed sighted commander to shoot Camp Perry bullseye? Luke is fixing that for me too. Volkmann is adding 10mm original 1911's to his offering this year. 100% custom 10mm's, frame, barrel, slide, all of it. So like you, I'm seriously considering a real high-end custom 10mm to the holster this year.
If anyone is looking for a Kimber Rimfire Target in Black, one just came up for sale with a buy now of less than $500 on GunBroker. I have one and it is an excellent shooter and has been one hundred percent reliable. They stopped making these several years ago and I have not seen a lot for sale.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Just finished tuning a Kimber 10mm, which had issues. It's very accurate but was choking regularly when I got it. The ramped barrel is desirable for heavy 10mm loads. A few days ago I got it running successfully; still testing but looking forward to shooting it. I like the 10mm, and at some point I'll add a Wilson or Baer so chambered.

My sentiments are the same. Have a Kimber Custom Match II and it FTF out of the box. Laughable bad quality control. The good thing was I bought with the plan on taking it to Luke Volkmann to customize. $1000+ later it's my goto woods gun. Smooth, reliable, accurate, comfortable. I have a Dan Wesson Commander in 10mm and it's just as accurate as the customized Kimber. But, the DW came with a match barrel that's so tight that after one magazine the chamber is fouled enough the that slide won't go into full battery because the round gets hung up on the ever-so-slight fouling. The chamber is a solid 0.002" tighter than my other 10mm barrels. I can't figure out for the life of me, why Dan Wesson put such a tight match barrel on a fix sighted commander sized 10mm??? Like WTF were they thinking? Was I supposed to use a 10mm fixed sighted commander to shoot Camp Perry bullseye? Luke is fixing that for me too. Volkmann is adding 10mm original 1911's to his offering this year. 100% custom 10mm's, frame, barrel, slide, all of it. So like you, I'm seriously considering a real high-end custom 10mm to the holster this year.

I'd not heard of Valkmann before, so I looked up his website...he certainly makes some pretty delicious pistols smile
© 24hourcampfire