Home
Posted By: Tee3 Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
Anyone with any experience on a 20 or especially a 20SF care to give your opinions on it ? Thanks
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I got the 20SF. Not much to say, It just plain works. You might want to update the sights.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
The one I had ate everything I fed it without a hiccup. I didnt like the huge grip and I have big hands. I sold the 20 recently and bought a 1911 in 10mm.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by viking
I got the 20SF. Not much to say, It just plain works. You might want to update the sights.

Yep. I agree.

The 21 and the 20 are a bit big feeling in the hand, though, for most mortal men.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I am 6’4 and wear giant or 2xl gloves, so the 20/21 fit me like, well a glove 😂
Posted By: Tee3 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by fldoghunter
The one I had ate everything I fed it without a hiccup. I didnt like the huge grip and I have big hands. I sold the 20 recently and bought a 1911 in 10mm.

I’ve also been considering going the 1911 route also . The Rock Island 10mm seem to get decent feedback but I’ve never actually had my hands in one of them .
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
My first 10mm was a G20. First mag I fired experienced a case rupture, cracked the grip, ruined the magazine. I blamed it on lack of case support in the pistol???

I now have 4 other 10mm's - two EAA Witness models and two 1911's (An RIA and a Kimber), so I did not blame the problem on the cartridge.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: driftless Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
My 20c is okay, far from 100% reliability.
Posted By: RJM Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
Wonderful gun that I loved to hate....

Bought a longslide 40 first and it really worked well so I found both a 20 and 29 shortly thereafter...both beat my hands so that after five rounds I would start flinching to the point of not wanting to shoot.... Still have the 40, sold the 29 on GunBroker and one of my best friends bought the 20 and carries it all the time...

For other 10mms that came and didn't "went":
PARA-USA Elite Longside Hunter...wonderful gun now being made and marketed by Remington as their 10mm Hunter...can be found in the $900 range.

RIA...not sure of the name but is their Combat Commander, steel frame, with bull barrel. Bobbled the first round and has never missed a beat since. Just as accurate as guns costing 2-3 times as much.

Kimber Stainless Target II...if I had one 10mm this would probably be it...only modification was a flat bottom firing pin stop which should be standard on any 1911/10mm...it is on the Hunter. Kimber also has a longslide but without the firing pin safety. Can be had for under $900.

Ruger GP-100 4" Match Champion...bought it the week after it was announced...wonderful shooter...

Knowing what I know now, if this was just going to be a target/hunting gun, I would have gone with the Dan Wesson Bruin...A LOT of gun for the money....

Bob

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20

My Gen 2 Glock 20 fits me better than any handgun I own. It’s accurate and has functioned flawlessly. As mentioned above unless you have good sized hands they are large framed. My hands are big but several of my friends have tried my 20 and didn’t like it because of the frame size.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
It controls recoil of full loads very well, but in handgun of this size you might consider long slide/barrel version referred to as G40. It can be controlled w/o using "death grip". The mild recoiling Korean FMJs produce wonderful balls of fire at indoor range, very impressive and attention worthy.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
G20 sf fits me better than the plain gen 3 20. Mine has been reliable and is the most accurate Glock I’ve ever fired.
All Gen 4 large frame Glocks are sf.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
My gen4 G20 has been modified with a lighter striker spring, a heavier trigger spring, a lighter disconnecter spring, a zev connector of some kind I dug out of my parts box. It has adjustable sights on it from meprolight. I load my own ammunition with 180 XTP’s or 200 grain hard cast using AA#9 as much as I can. It’s not a hair splittingly accurate gun, it’s a good, dependable, very handy, much more than the 9mm, not too heavy, minute of grapefruit at 15 yards, almost indestructible, ugly, too fat for my hands, infinitely useful in a Kanai chest holster woods carrying pistol. I used to overthink stuff, and would spend more money than I needed. Ask yourself if you can use the accuracy that a 1911 pattern gun offers, ask yourself if you like to clean guns or just shoot them and rely on them. Also Glocks suck but they also do what they do.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I've owned two. Never had a problem with either one. They are very large. The first I owned was years ago and it didn't seem to recoil badly at all. Then a few years back I got another and the recoil seemed much more pronounced. Maybe it's just me getting older though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: g5m Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I really liked the early G20 I had. Fun to shoot. Let it go and just never replaced it. But I would if I had one come nearby.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I started with a RIA and it shot well enough. When the barrel.connector broke after 20 rounds of Underwood, I had it fixed and traded it for a Glock 20, gen 4. The gen 4 and later guns fit me much better than any previous versions. I own 3 Glocks now and shoot them all decent. I shoot the G20 best of all. Compared to my revolvers, and Contenders, the 10mm is a wuss. I had a Encore pistol in 350 Rem mag for a year or two. That was a handful even with a break.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/13/20
I've had one for years. Like mine a lot. I can't recall a single malfunction with it, even when firing 40 S&W cartridges in it. A few years ago I bought the smaller G29 to make carrying it a little easier. I give up about 50 fps, but shoot the smaller gun just as well and can always use the longer 15 round mags in it.
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had one for years. Like mine a lot. I can't recall a single malfunction with it, even when firing 40 S&W cartridges in it. A few years ago I bought the smaller G29 to make carrying it a little easier. I give up about 50 fps, but shoot the smaller gun just as well and can always use the longer 15 round mags in it.

I feel that way about my Glock 30, which is the compact version of the Glock 21 (.45 ACP). I could take or leave the 21, but the 30 is a keeper, and carries pretty good. I shoot it well, too. And, like you say, you can use the 13 round (Glock 21) mags in it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've owned two. Never had a problem with either one. They are very large. The first I owned was years ago and it didn't seem to recoil badly at all. Then a few years back I got another and the recoil seemed much more pronounced. Maybe it's just me getting older though.

You still have that one, EE?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You still have that one, EE?
Went down the river some time back. I can't even recall what I wanted worse.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by Tee3
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

I’ve also been considering going the 1911 route also . The Rock Island 10mm seem to get decent feedback but I’ve never actually had my hands in one of them .

I thought about the rock island, but I found a Kimber Custom II new on gun broker for $615. It was some kind of shot show special or something. I've been pleased with it so far.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/14/20
Agree on it being big, but I am a small guy. I love having 16 rounds of hardcast nasty when I'm in the bush. Had a couple ftf using the hot loads from BB, but I narrowed it down to a mag that was causing the problem.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/17/20
I have a Gen 3 G20SF that I've had for probably 15 years. I put a 22lb recoil spring in mine because I shoot hot ammo sometimes. Ohio has a 5" minimum barrel requirement for deer hunting with a pistol, so I bought a 5.15" Lone Wolf barrel also. The G20 is very comforting on your hip in the woods. I really like mine!

Ron
Posted By: TX35W Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/18/20
Best have big hands. I have an G20 SF and I got even that reduced. I still shoot it well out to 50 yards, but any time I shoot it against the clock I notice how much better I shoot the standard sized frames, i.e. the 17/22 size. My hands are totally average. My friends with larger hands do better. My friends with smaller hands can barely shoot it.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/18/20
My first 10mm was a G20 in 1996. Been hooked on 10mm since. It is the goto 10mm pistol. It's bigger than the G17/22/19/23 grips, but so what. It shoots a round 1-5-2x as powerful. You're not sleeping with it, you're holding it for a few minutes at a time - at most. It's accurate, reliable, and lightweight. It's inexpensive and magazines are readily available. Fully loaded with 15 rounds it weighs 5ozs. less than my 10mm 1911 loaded with 9 rounds. The only drawback in my opinion is the barrel, it's made for reliability and the chamber is 0.001-0.004" larger than my other 10mm chambers. It feeds almost anything, but velocity out of the stock barrel is hardly impressive. Change the barrel and you'll gain 50fps+. I've messed with and changed every part on multiple G20's and have come to the conclusion that it's best left in the stock configuration except for maybe two things. The sights need to be adjustable and the trigger is best if not serrated. If you want a Jeep of 10mm pistols, the G20 is it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/18/20
What drop in barrel did you use and was there any accuracy improvement?
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by jimmyp
What drop in barrel did you use and was there any accuracy improvement?

Jarvis was my first aftermarket barrel - my understanding was that he is no longer making the 10mm Glock barrels. It was 5.5" long and had about 80fps velocity increase and noticeable accuracy increase.
Bar-Sto semi-drop in was my second it was for a G40, had to mill it to fit. Velocity is about 80fps faster. Accuracy of stock barrel on the G40 was great, the bar-sto might be slightly better, but not much.
KKM was third and for a G20. Accuracy was better than stock, but not as good as Jarvis. Velocity increased but don't remember how much.
I have a Zev barrel for a competition G34 and velocity is slightly higher, accuracy was noticeably improved with cheaper ammo. The G34 stock barrel is the only Glock barrel I've ever had where out of the box accuracy was disappointing. Three inch groups at 9 yards with white box ammo was the norm. Zev brought that down to about 1.5" with cheap ammo. Match ammo shoots 1.25" or less at 9 yards offhand.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/18/20
Thanks, I will look at zev or if Jarvis is around.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/21/20
Bump, it’s been a few days.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/21/20
Okay.

Posted By: jmd025 Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/21/20

Maybe a turkey crap brown g40 will help
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/21/20
That’s better guys.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/22/20
Here's mine. It was free to me from Cabelas. I had a bunch of points and they were on sale on their website. I added Trijicon HDs a KKM barrel and Nevada Cerakote modified the frame and slide.

Should have done the RMR cut but that may happen later.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/22/20
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Here's mine. It was free to me from Cabelas. I had a bunch of points and they were on sale on their website. I added Trijicon HDs a KKM barrel and Nevada Cerakote modified the frame and slide.

Should have done the RMR cut but that may happen later.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

Nice!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/22/20
Okay.

Only reason I can see using subsonics is for suppressed fire.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/22/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Okay.

Only reason I can see using subsonics is for suppressed fire.
I'd guess that ammo is twenty-five years old. IIRC, at the time I got the gun, the dealer only had a big stack of that and much higher original Norma ammo. I think I got a couple of boxes of each, then started handloading. I shot some twenty-five year old handloads through that gun and they functioned perfectly. That may have been from when the FBI used 10mm and the subsonics may be FBI loads. I can't recall. Twenty-five years is just a guesstimate too.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
You're just trying to be all tactical. grin
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
My first 10mm was a G20. First mag I fired experienced a case rupture, cracked the grip, ruined the magazine. I blamed it on lack of case support in the pistol???

I now have 4 other 10mm's - two EAA Witness models and two 1911's (An RIA and a Kimber), so I did not blame the problem on the cartridge.

Mike Holmes

The very first G21 I saw was purchased new by a cop friend in 1991 or 1992. Several of is were shooting Deltas or S&Ws and this new rubber gun was a big deal, so we met him at the PD range to see it run and get a turn on it. KaBoomed on the first shot, blew the right side of the grip out and scuffed his hand up pretty good. It was 17 years before I accepted issue of a Glock duty gun.

Glock eventually improved their chamber support and I may try a 20SF just for S&G.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
Today's Hickok45 installment features a Glock 20, Gen 4, that he just purchased new, and had never before fired. He had two jams in just a few mags full. He was astonished to see this in a Glock. Must have been something seriously wrong with it from the factory.
Posted By: driftless Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
The 20c that I have jams a lot fte,ftf.stove pipes you name it with no rime or reason. Then there are times it will rune fine.It is just A gun I can not trust
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
Sorry to hear that! I have had several dozen glocks, I am on my 3rd G20, in thousands of rounds fired I have had trouble with only one a G30 I bought used. The gun was unusually accurate for a Glock, u usually tight fitting, and occasionally had a FTF. The dealer took it back and I got a new one, not as accurate it ran 100%.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Glock G20 ? - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Mike Holmes

The very first G21 I saw was purchased new by a cop friend in 1991 or 1992. Several of is were shooting Deltas or S&Ws and this new rubber gun was a big deal, so we met him at the PD range to see it run and get a turn on it. KaBoomed on the first shot, blew the right side of the grip out and scuffed his hand up pretty good. It was 17 years before I accepted issue of a Glock duty gun.

Glock eventually improved their chamber support and I may try a 20SF just for S&G.

I bought the first one I found in this area around that time, too. I shot lead, +P, ball, everything without issue. I'm wanting a 10mm also, gave the 20 a thought, but the XDm fits me better.
© 24hourcampfire