Home
Posted By: jwall 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
I’m looking for recommendations for 40 SW defense ammo.
I’ve done Search twice w/ no luck.

Weapon is a SW MP 40. I prefer light to mid weight bullets but preference is on
reliability. I won’t shoot it enuff to handload, so a few 50 ct boxes will suffice. I have a 9 mm & a huge supply of 9 mm ammo for practice so that’s covered.

What 40 SW ammo has worked well for you ?

Thanks
Jerry
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
I use Hornady Critical Defense.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
I carry 165gr Winchester Ranger SXT, but they are tough to find. Stocked up a good while back.

The 165gr Gold Dot is my second choice.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
Why in this world or anyother world would you even own a 40 S&W when you own the Miraculous Farce know as the 9MM? That is just lunacy. With the atomicness of the atomic 9MM it makes no sense.
Let the Illuminated Illuminati educate you on the lethalness of the most lethal 9MM.
Me as a mere unilluninated unilluminati cannot discribe in a discriptive describing way what you are doing that is heinous.
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
YOU said you are a Doofus. You proved it.

Irrelevant response.

Jerry
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#40SW
Take a look at the lucky gunner ammo tests. I'd pick something in the 180gr, Gold Dots or Golden Sabres.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/17/20
Winchester Ranger-T/PDX-1, Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Hornady Critical Duty, or Remington Golden Saber. These are premium and perform about the same.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
180gr HST handloads at 1058 fps are brutal on meat, shot them into water filled metal coffee cans, and three freezer burnt chickens Wife gave me, holy damn they tore that chit up!

If you can find some factory loads running that speed, you're set for a soft point SD/CCW round.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
I've seen 165 grain Golden Sabers, 180 grain Hydra Shocks and 165 & 180 grain Federal HST work on two and four legged recipients. Any of them are plenty effective if you place them well.
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Thanks guys, I appreciate it I have a few decent places locally to check on
factory ammo. I can also look into ordering off the net. Shipping will probably
be too steep.

I’ve had 357s and 44s I had trimmed down to my 6906 and have more components than I will live long enuff to shoot.

I didn’t have any idea of where to start with 40 factory. Y’all have given me good options
to start.

Thank you.

Jerry
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Border patrol used a 155 jhp with good success. I like 180 gold dots or hst
Posted By: P_Weed Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Let the Illuminated Illuminati educate you on the lethalness of the most lethal 9MM.
Me as a mere unilluninated unilluminati cannot discribe in a discriptive describing way
what you are doing that is heinous.

Words to the wise: "When you catch an adjective, kill it!"

~ Mark Twain
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
I use 165gr HST in my M&P40 2.0. I also have 1000 rounds of 180gr HST for when I run out of 165s.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Hard to go wrong these days. Winchester rangers by their various names, plus HST's, Gold Dots, Golden Sabres. Pick yer choice of whatever is on sale. As many have said I prefer the 180's as well. They penetrate more consistently in just about all the above bullets and will deflect less if they hit something in front of the vitals. You've got a caliber that will throw a nice heavy bullet with a high sectional density, why not use it? Unless your sights are regulated to 165. That's a good reason. But I would not go less than 165.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Dunno if Walmart still carries it, but you'll want a couple of 100 rd. Winchester FMJ for practice and reliability testing your gun if you just got it. 200 rd. minimum to check for malfunctions.
Posted By: viking Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by Esox357
Border patrol used a 155 jhp with good success. I like 180 gold dots or hst

I read an article years ago about their bullet weight trials, I can’t remember why the chose the 155. I think most agencies carry the 180 grain weight.

Maybe somewhere can dig up that article.
Posted By: dla Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by jwall
I’m looking for recommendations for 40 SW defense ammo.
I’ve done Search twice w/ no luck.

Weapon is a SW MP 40. I prefer light to mid weight bullets but preference is on
reliability. I won’t shoot it enuff to handload, so a few 50 ct boxes will suffice. I have a 9 mm & a huge supply of 9 mm ammo for practice so that’s covered.

What 40 SW ammo has worked well for you ?

Thanks
Jerry

Take a look at the police trade in ammo at Sportmans Outdoor Super Store.
I picked up a few boxes of Winchester ultra-nasty & Speer Gold Dot at 50 cents/dollar of new.
I'm shooting an M&P40 Compact 2.0 4" and 180's feel pretty good.
I was shooting whatever was cheapest for plinking, which was Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ from my local BiMart $12.97/50 on sale (once a month).
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
I'm down to two 40 S&W chambered guns that don't see a lot of use, but I use win Ranger-T 155's or Fed HST 165's.

MM
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
Columbus Ohio PD used 180 grain HST for 12 years before switching to 9mm in 2019. Very good track record for Stops on bad guys. I still carry it in my 40s.

Ron
Posted By: dvnv Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/18/20
I use Federal 155 gr HST.

Just happened to be the most accurate of the ammo tested and shot to the sights for my H&K USP...so that is what I use for factory ammo.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/19/20

I like Underwood Ammo
Posted By: viking Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/19/20
Is there a bad 40 cal load. Sure some might be better then others but...
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/19/20
For defensive use there are law enforcement loads at <$30 per 50. For making holes in paper there is Russian ammo. One should break handgun into four parts and clean and lube about every 500 rounds anyway.
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/20/20
THANKS to ALL of you for your recommendations.

Yes, I picked up the pistol today but I found some ammo for starters on Tuesday.
The weapon is a S W, M&P 40.
It's been shot VERY little. I got the Orig. box w/owners manual and Xtra mag. = $ 300. OTD

For starters I picked up some
S & B 180 gr FMJ = 12.99 / 50,...... practice rounds

Hornady Critical Defense 165 FTX = $24.99 / 20 defense/offense rounds LOL

Now I have time to look around for cheaper practice/plinking and

I'll make a list of the BETTER rounds y'all have suggested for defense.

I have LOTS of experience with 357s, 9mm, & 44 Mag. This little gun and the 40 SW I expect will have noticeable recoil.
I'm not afraid of it. My VERY first handgun was a Ruger SBHK 44 Mag so I'm used to it.

I really appreciate all of your participation. I'll continue to watch for other recommends.

Thanks Again

Jerry
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/21/20
Well J Wall you can want all the lwt loads there is but unless your gun has elev adj rear sight most 40's I've had with fixed elev rear sights are targeted for 180 gr bullets at combat ranges. Start at Wallyworld with factory Federal 180 gr truncated flat point FMJ's, shoot really nice in my CZ's abo $17/50 you can thank me when you try them and see the light. MB
Posted By: JOG Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/21/20

Recoil Gunworks

FEDERAL HYDRA-SHOK 40 S&W 155GR JHP [RG-P40HS2]
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK YOUR PRICE:$26.95 $9.99
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/21/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well J Wall you can want all the lwt loads there is but unless your gun has elev adj rear sight most 40's I've had with fixed elev rear sights are targeted for 180 gr bullets at combat ranges. Start at Wallyworld with factory Federal 180 gr truncated flat point FMJ's, shoot really nice in my CZ's abo $17/50 you can thank me when you try them and see the light. MB

Bob, I understand. Today will be my FIRST time to shoot it.
The M & P is fixed sighted so that is that.
It is my Personal Defense weapon, so I'm not concerned about distance.

IF, IF I have to use it < and I HOPE I don't > it will be Up Close & Personal ----NO aiming needed! ! And I'm WILLING.

Thanks

Jerry
Originally Posted by JOG

Recoil Gunworks

FEDERAL HYDRA-SHOK 40 S&W 155GR JHP [RG-P40HS2]
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK YOUR PRICE:$26.95 $9.99

Thank You, I'll check it out.

Jerry
First Range Report, S W, M & P, 40 SW grin

Using S & B 180 FMJ and H Critical Defense 165 FTX

Distance 15 good steps. -> Happy Camper smile

I have a dirt pile with a few rocks for smaller targets and a Wood firewood block and Flat Metal plate @ 12' X 12".

The M & P was pleasant to shoot with both ammo. First 2 shots were low so I adjusted my AIM.
My 9mm, 147 gr CCI Gold Dots were punching THRU the wood block.
The 40, 180 FMJ were Rocking the block grin no pun intended. ?, confused

The 9 147s splattered on the metal with a small dent.
The 40 180 FMJ made LARGER dents. wink

I didn't shoot MANY of the 165 FTX because of the $$.
I shot small rocks, @ 4" oblong, and EITHER hit or rolled them.

Using the 180 FMJ, I shot some Double Tap and Triple Tap on the wood & metal > SCORE, no misses. grin
laugh laugh

The magazineS for the M & P were DIFFICULT to load. ?? Don't know why.
My S-W 6906 mags ARE much easier to load. ?? confused

ALL IN ALL, I'm completely satisfied ! Will start looking for CHEAPER ammo. grin

Thanks Again for Y'alls Help.

Jerry
Posted By: winchester70 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/21/20
Here's the answer to your loading difficulties.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2136952670

And look here for..... https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/40-cal-ammo
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/21/20
Originally Posted by winchester70
Here's the answer to your loading difficulties.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2136952670

And look here for..... https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/40-cal-ammo

SGammo offers bonded JHPs from government contract overrun at <$20 per 50. That is impossible to beat.
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by winchester70

SGammo offers bonded JHPs from government contract overrun at <$20 per 50. That is impossible to beat.

THANKS to both of you. Slavek & win 70.

I will check into both.

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/22/20
Another quick word about the 180gr HST's at 1055 fps, after Wife gave me the three freezer burnt chickens, I had them pretty well thawed, she also does arts and crafts work and saves the big net bags onions and potatoes come in, I got one of those from her, put the dogs up, placed the chickens in the bag and wrapped em up tight, bellied out of the back porch and slammed them with three rounds.

A quick back porch autopsy was very telling, massive damage to the contents, only chickens yes, but, still fun with a lot of fresh provided media to study, no bullet recoveries, chunked the birds over the back pasture fence for the coyotes, let the dogs back out to mop the back porch, fun morning all around. smile
Posted By: viking Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/22/20
180’s are the most pleasant to shoot, especially out of my Glock 27.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/22/20
Originally Posted by viking

It sorta depends on the 180, even with FMJ. Tula is real soft shooting; Speer Lawman is generally loaded to duty ammo velocities.

I've got a case of the Lawman coming along with some Ranger T in the same weight. I'll clock them both from my G27 when I get a chance.
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/22/20
Originally Posted by jwp475

I like Underwood Ammo

jw - I am not familiar with Underwood. I've been on Midway and all they offer is 20 ct. boxes

I found:

Rem UMC 180 HP . 20.99/---- <SORRY 50 can't divide EARLY blush

Win 180 Bonded HP 22.49/---- < SORRY 50 can't divide EARLY blush
-----------------------------^^^^^^.....BEST $$

Also found Hornady Critical Defense 165 HP - 24.99/ 20 . . . SAME as locally!!

Originally Posted by winchester70 & Slavek combined

Tell me about these JHP from Government contracts. ^^^^ please.

Check EDIT on no. count ***
Thnx

Jerry

Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/24/20

At Midway I found:

Rem UMC 180 HP . 20.99/---- <SORRY 50 can't divide EARLY blush

Win 180 Bonded HP 22.49/---- < SORRY 50 can't divide EARLY blush
-----------------------------^^^^^^.....BEST $$

Also found Hornady Critical Defense 165 HP - 24.99/ 20 . . . SAME as locally!!

Originally Posted by winchester70 & Slavek combined

It's been shot VERY little. I got the Orig. box w/owners manual and Xtra mag. = $ 300. OTD

For starters I picked up some
S & B 180 gr FMJ = 12.99 / 50,...... practice rounds

I haven't been able to check ALL of y'alls suggestions.

In MY area those S & B FMJ @ $13. /50 rd is the cheapest I've found locally.
The H C D 165 HPs are priced the same in other places & Midway.

< SO FAR - Midway's W W 180 JHP @ 22.50 - per 50 ct is the best price I've found on H Ps. >

I did pick up an "Inside the Pant Holster for $ 18.00. Leather out - nylon lined.

*** In my best outlet they were well stocked in Rifle powders... EXCEPT for Rl 26.
They had a good selection of IMR, Hodgd., Rl, & Superformance powders. ****

Still Looking.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/25/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
Another quick word about the 180gr HST's at 1055 fps, after Wife gave me the three freezer burnt chickens, I had them pretty well thawed, she also does arts and crafts work and saves the big net bags onions and potatoes come in, I got one of those from her, put the dogs up, placed the chickens in the bag and wrapped em up tight, bellied out of the back porch and slammed them with three rounds.

A quick back porch autopsy was very telling, massive damage to the contents, only chickens yes, but, still fun with a lot of fresh provided media to study, no bullet recoveries, chunked the birds over the back pasture fence for the coyotes, let the dogs back out to mop the back porch, fun morning all around. smile

Sounds like alotta Fun. I might try that.
I frequently see DEAD deer on the roadside not far from the house > Good test media.
* Necks, * shoulders * hams.

Thanks for the idea.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/25/20
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by viking

I've got a case of the Lawman coming along with some Ranger T in the same weight. I'll clock them both from my G27 when I get a chance.

The 165 JHP Critical Defense & 180 FMJ S & B are the only 2 I have shot so far.
I didn't notice any diff in recoil or 'handleability' . MAYBE ? the 165 are hotter and making up for less weight ? ?

After I get more ammo - don't know yet which - I'll be able to chrono mine in my gun and see what's what.

Thanks Again

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/25/20

Sounds like alotta Fun. I might try that.
I frequently see DEAD deer on the roadside not far from the house > Good test media.
* Necks, * shoulders * hams.

Thanks for the idea.

Jerry

You're quiet welcome JWall , almost as much fun as I had near 10 years ago when she gave me a freezer burnt turkey, I cut loose on that thing with a 9mm chunking 115gr Barnes hp's at 1250 fps, the dogs got the cleanup job on that one too! smile
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/26/20
I discovered these this AM.
These deer pills are IN 40 S W range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back Up 3 steps -->

The A C unit for my house & bedroom. LOL
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/26/20
coolDang, you may as well remove that screen and put a set of ear plugs in the window sill waiting on fall ; ] if I were contemplating using my 40 on deer, I'd use the 200gr XTP with Longshot load at 1050 fps, have NO doubts on it shooting completely through a deer.
coolDang, you may as well remove that screen and put a set of ear plugs in the window sill waiting on fall ; ] if I were contemplating using my 40 on deer, I'd use the 200gr XTP with Longshot load at 1050 fps, have NO doubts on it shooting completely through a deer.

laugh laugh

No I hadn't even THOT about shooting a deer with the M&P. grin
What did cross my mind was 'jokingly' thinking for Self Defense > about to come in bedroom. whistle

I'm sure the 180 FMJs would penetrate fully too. I have had deer close enuff to shoot with a 40 SW.....SO I might consider packing it when hunting and IF......

That whole thing snowballed yesterday. Here we are at the end of Feb and I hadn't done any Spring clean up. So.....

I don't remember what shrub that is but you can see it's been topped in years past - 2 yrs last time - it grows back too
fast. Yes, I used a Stihl for pruning. blush

*** these pix will be deleted in a few weeks. I'm managing my pic count on imjur.
PhotoPUKEIT did NOT tell me there was a limit on pix for Free hosting.....UNTIL I was way over the limit. I don't think there
was a max when I started with them. They have greatly reduced the monthly fee since there was a backlash from
users. --> too late AFAIC. They can suck it.

Jerry
THANKS to ALL of you for your recommendations.

Yes, I picked up the pistol today but I found some ammo for starters on Tuesday.

Monday I posted:
I did pick up an "Inside the Pant Holster for $ 18.00. Leather out - nylon lined.

Complete package:

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/27/20
Ammo Update & Summary:

I checked out all the ammo that y'all have recommended *that I could find*.

1. I have the S B 180 FMJ / 50 @ 13.00 locally, no shipping.

2. The Fed HY Shok 155 HP = $ 9.99 is for 20 ct. SO 50 would be $ 30.00 plus S-H

3. ALL the others 180 JHPs were $ 20. -- 30. for 50 ct. + S-H

4. *** I ordered 100 ( 2, 50 ct boxes) W W 180 Bonded JHP / $ 22.50
.... with a 50.00 order S H was free. ***
Free S H helps reduce $$$

I also drug out this Pistolero I've had longer than I can remember, somewhere in the 80s.
I've only used it with revolvers so this will be a new experience with semi auto.

I have a neighbor who was also a school mate that's into handguns. We plan to get together Sat or ASAP and
shoot for ACCURACY using the Pistolero.
I'm going to compare the
Hornady Critical Defense - 165 JHP
W W Bonded - 180 JHP > and
S B 180 FMJ

** I want to thank GIBBY who said the 40 SW should die, in Hunting Rifles forum ** He stirred my pot. LOL

Using my 6906 for defense only.... It's been several years since I've done serious Target Shooting with a semi.
This 40 SW and MP 40 has stirred up my interest in pistol shooting.

Later He & I will do some chronographing. That'll be interesting !!

Jerry
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/27/20
Nice. Like your choices.
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/27/20
Thnx Ethan.

I’m in a whole new world with the 40.
I’m liking it.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 02/29/20
40 S W Factory Ammo Test:

We had a very good morning for shooting so my friend came and we both shot some handguns.

We sat up our targets at 15 steps.
The M P 40 does have an adjustable 'rear' sight for windage. That's good because ALL the ammo shot to the L.
We both used the Pistolero

He really liked the Pistolero and I sent him a Pic & link for it at Midway. The new ones are $27.50. I was surprised they were that cheap. I think they're worth it.

The Hornady Critical Defense 165 JHP shot MORE left than the others.
The groups were NOT terrible but NOT as good as I hoped. Certainly good enuff for S D.

The S & B 180 FMJs actually grouped pretty well altho to the L as well.
I have plenty of those and will be doing more testing as I adjust the rear sight. They are the cheapest as well at 13.00/ 50.

I was pleasantly surprised that the MP 40 liked the W W 180 Bonded JHP.
They grouped better than the other 2 brands AND closer to Center, but still Left.
At $ 22.50 per 50 the W W are reasonable.

Since I can shoot in my pasture I'll be doing more as the WX permits.
I will also be shooting solo, and will use a Single Target for Each brand. After adjustment, I HOPE to get some decent groups to post.

I could determine something today shooting off the Pistolero that I didn't notice shooting off hand.
The 40 SW in the MP does have more recoil than my 6906 with 115 JHP handloaded to factory vel. Not surprising and certainly not uncontrolable. (sp)

Still a fun morning.

Jerry

Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 03/04/20

I was pleasantly surprised that the MP 40 liked the W W 180 Bonded JHP.
They grouped better than the other 2 brands AND closer to Center, but still Left.
At $ 22.50 per 50 the W W are reasonable.

Since I can shoot in my pasture I'll be doing more as the WX permits.
I will also be shooting solo, and will use a Single Target for Each brand. After adjustment, I HOPE to get some decent groups to post.

Latest Update: Hit A Snag. frown

After finding a 1/16" allen wrench for the set screw on the rear sight. First wrench twisted like a pretzel. grin Second one
was hardened and finally broke the screw loose.

Yesterday I gathered ALL my stuff to shoot and adjust windage. Sat up target, sat up Pistolero, got tools handy,
got ammo arranged for shooting..........

THEN the rear sight would NOT move ! frown I got a brass punch and hammer..... STILL wouldn't move < mad

RATZ ! I'll take it to a G smith next.

I RE arranged my target because I knew it was shooting L, 3 - 4 ", I wanted to see how much.

This time I was at 16 good steps. I chose the W W 180 JHPS. I shot the first 3 at the top of the target and a Cousin walked up in my pasture. I hadn't seen him in 1-2 yrs, so we visited a bit. Broke my concentration.
The 4 th shot was top L then the 5 th went into the orange dot.

I'm not disappointed YET. Haven't had the gun long and it doesn't have a Target trigger < whistle
AND it's a S D weapon and I can hit by point and shoot at close range. More Later.

BaDa BaDa, that's all folks.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: 40 SW AMMO - 03/18/20
BUMP >> for Colodog' s thread
© 24hourcampfire