Home
Posted By: moosemike Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/13/20
Of course when we think of hunting handguns revolvers and single shots rule the roost but I'd like to hear some hunting experiences with 1911 pistols. It seems like a platform that would lend itself well to hunting especially in 10mm.
I use 1911's - both .45 ACP and 10mm - as "woods carry guns" a lot. I've dispatched varmints around the camp with them, also shot a few hogs. My 10mm 1911's and an HK USP 45 wear Holosun red dots for these purposes. This isn't from "necessity", as I have several revolvers in .44 Special, .44 Mag, .480 Ruger, and .45 Colt. I also have 10mm in other semi-autos than 1911's. I DO like the 1911's a lot, though, like to carry and shoot them.

Mike Holmes
Never have found a reason to use a 1911 while actually big game hunting. I have used it for targets of opportunity in off season, but in this state any semi auto rifle or handgun is limited to 5 rounds in the mag and 1 in the pipe during center fire big game seasons. Hell if deer hunting I can’t even carry a G26 on me for a CCW weapon, I have to switch to a GP100. With that in consideration I would say that using my 41 Mag Blackhawk is more advantageous than buying a 1911 platform in 10mm. YMMV
I haven't, but I would. I hunt small deer in thick brush so the shots are short. I've taken several with a 44 Magnum loaded to +P 230-grain 45 ACP ballistics.

Okie John
I have used several different brands of 1911 10mms to hunt deer and pigs. They work well. I have my a Fusion 10mm that I am having the slide milled for a Holosun holographic sight. This will be a dedicated hunting gun. I use primarily 200gt LBT style hard cast bullets
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/13/20
I’ve shot multiple pigs and a few deer with 45 acp. For whatever reason the internet makes it seem impossible

Here’s a 230 “black talon “ after passing through both shoulders of a deer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cool!
Killed a couple dozen hogs and a few deer with a 1911 45acp with ball ammo. Actually never had anything NOT drop with it... no shots were more than 40 yards though...
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Killed a couple dozen hogs and a few deer with a 1911 45acp with ball ammo. Actually never had anything NOT drop with it... no shots were more than 40 yards though...

230 ball? That's surprising.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by moosemike

Not really , if it goes in the correct spot
Originally Posted by jmd025
I’ve shot multiple pigs and a few deer with 45 acp. For whatever reason the internet makes it seem impossible

Here’s a 230 “black talon “ after passing through both shoulders of a deer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Both shoulders. Impressive.

My understanding is that 230 grain ball is under estimated a lot in this regard. Apparently, it tends to deform and tumble inside the body pretty easily. That lead inside the copper is soft. If it hits any bone, it's deforming and tumbling.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

My understanding is that 230 grain ball is under estimated a lot in this regard. Apparently, it tends to deform and tumble inside the body pretty easily. That lead inside the copper is soft. If it hits any bone, it's deforming and tumbling.

Sounds good to me because that's what I carry for self defense in my 1911. I don't find myself in crowds much.
Not yet, but I just bought a Springfield TRP Operator 10mm that’s going next season.
I’ve shot deer with a 1911 in 45 acp but it wasn’t hunting.
Posted By: Papag Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/14/20
Only animals I've killed were woodchucks. Did a couple penetration tests on "found" deer carcases on our land the day after deer season. My favorite load of a 255 grain swc had no problem going clear through the heart/lung area and on out the other side. Same for high shoulder and neck. I wouldn't shoot one past forty or so yards, though.
Killed quite a few hogs here at the Ranch with 1911’s in 10mm and 45 acp. And a few deer too.
Posted By: dpd Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/14/20
First deer I killed with a handgun was with a Kimber 10mm .
I have used it on prairie dogs and feral cats.
The bullets don't seem to expand much on small critters.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by whelennut

How much expansion do you need from a .45 on prairie dogs?
We're not allowed to hunt with one in PA otherwise I would because I seem to shoot 1911's better than I do revolvers.

Not really , if it goes in the correct spot

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Never have found a reason to use a 1911 while actually big game hunting. I have used it for targets of opportunity in off season, but in this state any semi auto rifle or handgun is limited to 5 rounds in the mag and 1 in the pipe during center fire big game seasons. Hell if deer hunting I can’t even carry a G26 on me for a CCW weapon, I have to switch to a GP100. With that in consideration I would say that using my 41 Mag Blackhawk is more advantageous than buying a 1911 platform in 10mm. YMMV

Commie gun laws!

We can't hunt deer with a semi, rifle or handgun.
They just allowed them for small game.

With a CCL, I can carry any handgun while hunting.
Even loaded in a car. While spotlighting!

Used to be a crime to spotlight with any deer killing weapon.
Or to carry any handgun while bowhunting/flintlock hunting.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Killed quite a few hogs here at the Ranch with 1911’s in 10mm and 45 acp. And a few deer too.

And? Results??
Posted By: Gibby Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/14/20
Use the same stands and distances you would use when bow hunting for whitetail. It works. I did it for awhile when I had to quit bow hunting because of a bum shoulder. That was a long time ago for me.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Who has hunted with a 1911? - 03/14/20

And? Results??

They died . Apparently . What’s your deal

And? Results??

Yep. Graveyard Dead !

I hunt mostly with hard cast bullets. 230 gr WFN LBT in my 45 acp’s
And a 200 WFN LBT in my 10mm

But Hornady XTP’s And Remington Golden Sabers have also worked well in both calibers. Proper shot placement is the key.
And getting close enough for a good shot. It’s not exactly rocket science. 🤠

And? Results??

No deal. Just an inquiring mind that wants to know. Any specifics?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What cartridge did you use on the Oryx George?
10 mm 200gr hardcast
Nice! I've only shot one deer and a couple small pigs with my LB 45 ACP 1911, 185gr Barnes carry load at 1150 done a bang up job, all were shot less than 20 yards, a DW 1911 10mm with a 200gr XTP at 1200 fps worked real well on a 9pt buck at 41 yards, as well as a red squirrel garden thief bitch barking at me about 6 yards up in a tree in the yard ; ]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
10 mm 200gr hardcast

Cool thanks.
I've taken deer with a .44 mag (629) and 10mm (Glock 20). Recently I've been carrying a 1911 10mm while elk hunting. Colorado requires 550ft-lbs. at 50 yards and I'm just past that with a 200grain XTP bullet. I'd love to take an elk with it, which is not easy as I'd have to be inside 40 yards or so to feel comfortable making that shot. Someday...
Keep packing that handgun. I have only killed 3 elk but my longest shot was about 40 yards. I am going to start carrying my .44 mag for the same reason.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by whelennut

How much expansion do you need from a .45 on prairie dogs?

I like to avoid richochet.
A 45 auto 1911 does well . The first deer I killed on my farm was with a 1911. The doe dropped in its tracks. Distance was not far at all and in fairly thick vegetation. I jumped her out of her bed and she stayed still a little bit too long instead of bolting.
© 24hourcampfire