Home
Didn't want to sidetrack Rick's thread but consider this an ancillary to it.

Do you like a safety on a striker fired pistol?

Lots of ND's or AD's, however you wish to see them, caused by something snagging a trigger while being holstered or other reason for an unintended discharge could have been prevented by a safety. On the other hand, it's one more thing to think about when you're trying to get the pistol in action. When holstering my Sig P365 with no safety I'm very cognizant of its condition and make darn sure nothing is catching the trigger.

I've only had one striker fired pistol with a safety, a S&W M&P 2.0 full size, the 5" flat dark earth model. The store only had two, both with safeties, so I figured what the heck, if I didn't like it then it could be removed. What I found very quickly was that when reaching for the slide release the safety was in the way and my thumb would push the safety up. It blocks the trigger so it can be engaged whether the pistol is cocked or not, but after dropping the slide suddenly there I am with a pistol on safe when I didn't intend it. Not a big deal, take it off, but you lose a second or two wondering why the gun doesn't go bang.

Fortunately the safety is easy enough to remove and Smith sells plugs for the holes in the frame, so now the safety sits in the box with the three spare grip adapters.

No right or wrong answer, just curious if you like one on your striker fired pistol or not?

No, thank you.
Not a fan, myself.
Of course not. What would be the point? If you're gonna have a thumb safety, might as well have a single action with that super crisp trigger pull.
I use a trigger guard cover when toting in my Hill People kit bag, you could consider that a safety, and it's pretty hard to leave it on if you intend to use the gun.
I bought a 2.0 Compact with a safety cause that’s all they had. I was on the phone with S&W on my way home ordering the plugs to remove it.

The reason I carry striker fired guns is the simplicity of them.
No.
No interest in a manual safety on my carry pistols. I'd much rather put the extra focus into holstering (because I d*mn well better be!) when I'm doing that, and have one less thing to accidentally get engaged when I want the gun to go bang.

Of course there are guys who insist if they're skilled enough, they'll never forget the safety or have it become engaged by accident. But the way I carry (meaning the complete system of the gun, holster, and where/how it's placed), I don't need the safety there at all, so I'd rather not have it.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Didn't want to sidetrack Rick's thread but consider this an ancillary to it.

Do you like a safety on a striker fired pistol?

Nope. Violates the KISS principle.
No, a safety runs counter to the inherent simplicity of a striker fired design.
No Sir! especially for striker fired Wife pistols, she only needs to remember to put the front sight where it belongs and keep firing until the threat is horizontal!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Of course not. What would be the point? If you're gonna have a thumb safety, might as well have a single action with that super crisp trigger pull.

...what he said....
No
No. Not at all. I've got both on M&P's and I never use the safety on the one. I wouldn't even have it but I effed up and bought one that way accidentally. The old pirate lgs f u c k would've charged me a minimum of $40 just to switch them out before I even fired the thing. I bought it new and should have noticed this one had a safety, but I didn't.
Hmm, I'm detecting a trend here... wink

On taking out the safety on a Smith M&P, it's really pretty simple if you choose to. Push out one pin, lift out the striker block which lets the safety fall out, put two plugs into the holes in the frame and push everything back into place. Takes a little finessing to get the plugs in but there are no springs or small parts yearning for the opportunity to fly off into other dimensions. I watched a couple of youtube videos and then even going slowly it only took 10 minutes to remove and get everything back together.
Yes - my absolute last fear is forgetting how to use a safety.

I like 'em so much I have safeties on all my other semi autos, shotguns, hunting rifles and AR's.
Originally Posted by JOG

I like 'em so much I have safeties on all my other semi autos, shotguns, hunting rifles and AR's.

I don't understand why people can work a safety on a shotgun or rifle but can't on a pistol. Quite perplexing
Originally Posted by JOG

I have to agree.........some striker guns have very light and crisp triggers after the initial takeup . like maybe M&P 2.0 or the Sig 365...so I like safeties on those

when they shovel dirt on my face , I highly doubt it will be because I forget to manipulate my safety......
Have a striker fired pistol with safety one without. Not hard to put the safety off before it’s holstered or on the nightstand. Have a PPK with decocker and again it’s a simple thing to just flip it off when in use since it’s then double action first shot. Some make simple things harder than they need to be.
You guys are forgetting the striker fired guns also have striker blocks and a trigger with a manual safety built in.
Never.
I have both styles.. OK with both of 'em... But for total simplistic ease of use, the safety-less Kahr's are hard to beat..
I don’t want a safety on any of my revolvers either!
I am used to 1911, so the safety is the same on my shield. I think it is good for to prevent holstering accidents.
I just got a MP2.0 compact, and it does not have the safety. Not a big deal, but it only came that way as a police over run. It came with night sights and 3 mags for 330.00.
I would say No Safety. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
I don't really have a problem with one having a safety but I wouldn't intentionally buy one unless it was just a great deal.

To each his own.
No
© 24hourcampfire