Home
Posted By: jorgeI RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
I'm looking for one, but I like the Bisley handle over the hideous Ruger "Plow handle." Problem is, the only make two models, a 3.75" barrel and a 7.5" with a hideous scope ramp atop the barrel. I'm leaning towards the shorter barreled one (I own a FA 454 Casull, so I'm not that recoil sensitive), but any of you guys own either of these two and if so, what do you recommend?

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

[Linked Image from ruger.com]
Posted By: deflave Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
The big one.
Posted By: viking Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
For me anyway, the farther the sights are away the better.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Thank you guys, and welcome back, clark...
Posted By: Teal Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Wonder what's cheaper - lengthen the short or shorten the long? (not snark - just wondering is all - was a time if you ordered McDonald's a certain way - you'd save 30 cents over ordering it another, more common way - same exact food/quantity but different math)

I assume you're looking for something more in that 5 inch range?
Posted By: smallfry Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
I own the 3.75” and one of them 5.5” special runs. The 5.5 I’ve only shot maybe 20 rounds in it. Never really messed with it though. The 3.75” is accurate and easily controlled. I pack it once in awhile on a chest holster but favor other pistols for packing.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
I’d pick the 7.5” barrel one. You could also order a regular Super Blackhawk and change out the grip and hammer if you want to.
Posted By: okie john Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Over the years, I've owned and hunted with Bisleys in 44, 45, and 454, plus N-frame Smiths and Redhawks.

Ruger leaves us in a bad spot--long barrels are great for hunting but ungainly in daily use, and I don't care for any of those cartridges in a barrel shorter than 4".

I'd get a standard 5.5" Super Blackhawk and swap out the hammer, trigger, and grip frame for Bisley parts. It's a straightforward job that takes about half an hour. An original Vaquero would work IF you can live with fixed sights.

Okie John
Again thank you guys. I must confess, were it not for the bath I've taken financially, I'd order another FA.. smile
I prefer the short barreled Bisley between the two.
[Linked Image from i47.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Teal Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
It does seem to be "right" with the ejector housing even with the muzzle...
I'm surprised that's all they are offering in 44 Mag Bisley.

If I wanted it for fishing, woods defense and that sort of thing, I'd go with the short one.

If it's more for hunting, or enjoyment at the target range, I'd go with the long one.

I guess I got in under the wire when I purchased my 7.5" blued version a couple years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Opted for the Super Redhawk 7-1/2" barrel for mine. Changed the grip, though.

The Blackhawk is a .357 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

how's the recoil?
Posted By: dave284 Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm surprised that's all they are offering in 44 Mag Bisley.

If I wanted it for fishing, woods defense and that sort of thing, I'd go with the short one.

If it's more for hunting, or enjoyment at the target range, I'd go with the long one.

What he said. I have the Blackhawk Hunter, it is a bit big for packing around all the time. In WV there is a 4" minimum for hunting handguns. I have heard some other states have restrictions too.

I have plenty of long barreled .44s from 5.5 to 7.5"...prefer the 3.75" for field carry with 265gr Lehigh WFN. VERY accurate shooter.
Originally Posted by okie john
Over the years, I've owned and hunted with Bisleys in 44, 45, and 454, plus N-frame Smiths and Redhawks.

Ruger leaves us in a bad spot--long barrels are great for hunting but ungainly in daily use, and I don't care for any of those cartridges in a barrel shorter than 4".

I'd get a standard 5.5" Super Blackhawk and swap out the hammer, trigger, and grip frame for Bisley parts. It's a straightforward job that takes about half an hour. An original Vaquero would work IF you can live with fixed sights.

Okie John

Yeah, thought about that modification, then just decided to get the Bisley 3.75" so I could still have the stock 5.5" SBH version, too.

I always upgrade to custom grips on all, though.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI

how's the recoil?

The belief that longer barrels have less recoil isn't true
Posted By: EdM Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
I would try to hunt down one of the 5 1/2" Bisley's that they made some years ago. Here's my 45 Colt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by EdM
I would try to hunt down one of the 5 1/2" Bisley's that they made some years ago. Here's my 45 Colt.

This ^^^^^^^^
Posted By: T_O_M Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
I don't share your dislike for the standard grip. To me, the 5.5" barreled Super Blackhawk is the best balanced, best pointing, overall best feeling handgun I've ever owned .. and that's a bunch. The bisley grip is great for handling recoil but for me the Bisleys don't point very well, don't balance right, and are awkward to draw from a holster. It is a worthy trade in a .454 and maybe in a .480, but .44 magnum doesn't need the additional recoil management the bisley offers.

One thing you may want to watch ... a lot of Ruger single action .44s have slightly short front sights. They'll sight in ok with 240s to 250s, the it's hit and miss. The only one that handled 300s with proper sight in for me were the Hunter models, standard or bisley, with the stock red-ramp sight blade removed and the fractionally taller solid "black" front sight for a Redhawk installed.

Good luck!

Tom
John Linebaugh wrote and article years ago about why a 45 Colt was better than a similar 44 magnum. I believed him then, and believe him now.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by EdM

This ^^^^^^^^

how's the recoil?

I don’t know how this myth got started, but if all things are equal save for barrel length, the revolver generating more velocity will deliver more recoil. The shorter barrel will create more muzzle blast - typically, but actual recoil will be heavier with the higher velocity.
Posted By: gunzo Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
These are scarce but not impossible as I've owned 4 or 5 over the years. Called the Accusport 44 Bisley, about 930 made. Why Ruger hasn't cataloged this one is beyond me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gunzo Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
Here's a couple more

Posted By: Lennie Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
I have the 3.75. It is very accurate and a perfect carrying length. Mild 240 grain loads at 1000 FPS are fun. 320 grain hard cast loaded to gills are only for serious social occasions.

In my old age, I have come to understand what the perfect packing pistol should be. This Ruger qualifies.
Originally Posted by Lennie
I have the 3.75. It is very accurate and a perfect carrying length. Mild 240 grain loads at 1000 FPS are fun. 320 grain hard cast loaded to gills are only for serious social occasions.

In my old age, I have come to understand what the perfect packing pistol should be. This Ruger qualifies.

Amen brother!
Posted By: Terryk Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
I have the 3 3/4 barrel on the Bisley as pictured. I only shot 1000fps 240s, and recoil was not harsh. Even with the short barrel is is pretty heavy, and the grip really smooths things out. If I could, I would trade for a 5 1/2. I have 7.5 bisley in 41 mag and I don't like the length.
Posted By: TheKid Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
I cut my Bisley Hunter down to 5.5 and recut the rib for the quick change front sight blades. I like it a lot, very well balanced.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864546388

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Note: The cylinder is engraved on the Ruger Bisley. It is not engraved on the Bisley Hunter.

I have the Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 mag. And yes, it is a bit of a beast at 56 oz. In a shoulder holster, the muzzle hangs below my hip bone. But it does tame the recoil of a 250 grain bullet pushed by a case full of H110. Occasionally I even use it with the 2X20 mm Nikon.

With the scope and a bench, I can keep the 210 gr XTP at top velocity inside a six inch square at 130 yds. The revolver is accurate.

And some have mentioned buying a standard SBH then putting Bisley parts on it. Look into that carefully with a gunsmith experienced with the conversion. It might be cheaper to just buy the FA and get exactly what you want.

My experience with a Bisley conversion was disappointing to say the least. I have a couple of Single Seven revolvers in 327 Fed. I want a Bisley 327. So when I had an opportunity to buy a Single Six 22LR in Bisley form I jumped on it.

The gunsmith assured me the parts swap would be easily accomplished. Until he got both guns apart on the bench and attempted to put them back together. The thickness of the grip frame was not the same and the location of the screw/pin holes through the main frame and the grip frames did not match.

He said he could do the conversion I wanted if I bought all new parts from Ruger and he machined them to fit my revolver frame.

So I now I have a 5 inch Bisley 22 LR, that I did not really want, and the Single Seven is still not exactly what I would like.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
If you're seriously into a packing 44 magnum bisley the 3 3/4" is probably ideal, if you are seriously into a hunting 44 magnum the 7.5" bisley is probably ideal, but if you want the ideal all around, get it done 44 bisley get the 5.5" gun, have a good gunsmith do an action job on it, maybe get some custom stocks, most likely put a taller, custom front sight on it, narrowed to about 1/10" and you will be happy & well served.

Dick
I m thinking about the same issues with the Blackhawk 41 mag. I want to go with the Bisley grip in a 5.5” gun. The plow handle grip frame does not work when it comes to recoil. I think the 5.5” barrel is perfect for the Blackhawk.
Posted By: Terryk Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
7.5 is 41 mag, 5.5 is 45 long Colt, 4 5/8 is 44 special, 3 3/4 is 44 mag. I think the 45 and 44 special hold the best for me. Funny but they are really unique in my opinion. I put wolf trigger springs in all of them, and that makes a big difference in trigger pull.
44 Special can throw a 240 slug 1000 FPS, and it is pretty compact to carry. 45 with 5.5 is maybe, maybe my favorite. Again that 7.5 is my least favorite, the rest are super in my opinion.

Posted By: deflave Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20
Thank you guys, and welcome back, clark...

Thank you.
Posted By: deflave Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/11/20

Correcto.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
Here's a couple more

That would be great. guess I'll have to look for one
Posted By: gzig5 Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/13/20
I've got a first or second year Hunter with the 7.5" barrel. Owned it since the early/mid 90's. It is stupid accurate, 2.5" at 100 yds with a 4x scope on it. But it not real handy to pack around. I'd prefer something in the 5" range. The grip doesn't bother me. Heard a lot about the Bisely being better but never tried one.
Posted By: okie john Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
These are scarce but not impossible as I've owned 4 or 5 over the years. Called the Accusport 44 Bisley, about 930 made. Why Ruger hasn't cataloged this one is beyond me.

This.

Okie John
Posted By: gunzo Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/13/20
jorge1 & okie john,

A made up one on Gun Broker, now. Looks well done in the pics. item # 861153980. Looks just like the Accusport with the exception of the their rollmarked cylinder, this one is fluted.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/14/20
[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

You may be inclined to take a look at the BFR Bisley in 44 Mag with 5 inch barrel. All things written about their revolver is first class. Good luck.

Purty.
Posted By: EdM Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by Rossimp
[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

You may be inclined to take a look at the BFR Bisley in 44 Mag with 5 inch barrel. All things written about their revolver is first class. Good luck.

Indeed they are. My tweaked 475 Linebaugh.

Posted By: deflave Re: RUGER 44 MAG AFICIONADOS - 04/15/20
God damn, Ed.

That made it move a little.
© 24hourcampfire